Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD bound 2011

Options
  • 04-08-2011 8:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

hey everyone,

This thread is for those heading to UCD in September 2011. I started it because getting UCD was a massive shock for me - I went to the open day but didnt really pay any attention because I always thought it was out of reach. Iv researched banks and accomodation in UCC and UL but not UCD. So maybe someone could answer these questions

Best bank to get a loan from?
    Best place for accomodation?
    I dont think its serviced by the dart/luas

I have lots more Im just a little sleep depraved right now so cant think of any so feel free to add your own

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 kermicrzy

Congrats, I guess Ill be seeing you in a few weeks!

Applied as non-EU so found out awhile back. I might be 160k poorer but I think its going to we well worth it ;)
    FYI

http://www.ucd.ie/incomingstudents/timetable/DN401%20Graduate%20Entry%20MedicineVer1.pdf

https://sisweb.ucd.ie/usis/w_sm_web_inf_viewer_banner.show_major?p_term_code=201100&p_cao_code=DN401&p_major_code=MDS9

PS:
    AIB in UCD or BOI across at Montrose would have info on loans. I would def try to live in Stillorgan area (alot cheaper than other parts of town) and easy access to college. Try Stillogran, Dundrum, Sandyford, Goatstown...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭pollypigwash

bubbleking wrote: »
    hey everyone,

This thread is for those heading to UCD in September 2011. I started it because getting UCD was a massive shock for me - I went to the open day but didnt really pay any attention because I always thought it was out of reach. Iv researched banks and accomodation in UCC and UL but not UCD. So maybe someone could answer these questions

Best bank to get a loan from?
    Best place for accomodation?
    I dont think its serviced by the dart/luas

I have lots more Im just a little sleep depraved right now so cant think of any so feel free to add your own

There's a bucket load of info on this thread including some sample timetables from a year or two ago...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055627622

The UCD website is actually very good when you have a root around particularly the page below. Gives a summary of all the modules the time spent on each and the method of testing.
    https://sisweb.ucd.ie/usis/w_sm_web_inf_viewer_banner.show_major?p_term_code=201100&p_cao_code=DN401&p_major_code=MDS9

I've checked out the loan situations for UCD see below.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73558683&postcount=1
    I got an email off the guy from BoI on Tuesday with the updated offer for this year. They've reduced the interest rate after we finish to 7.5~% percent and increased the length of time over which you can pay it to 10years.

best place to move is in with a shower of other spongers in the course for the laugh. I want to get a house with some classmates, I reckon it'd be the best idea plus I couldn't hack living with my mates as they'll be loaded, while we're all skint. Anyone else who's interested in getting a house let me know. I'm easy breezy.

Can't wait to start!

Forgot to mention the Luas doesn't come near it and the nearest DART is Sydney Parade I think which is a fair trek, could be a good idea to set yourself within walking distance, a Dublin Bus student 30 day travel ticket will set you back €82.... that's 20 pints in my language.

Cheers
    Anyway let me know if anyone decides to setup a FB group (dont think there is GEM 2015 one yet). Might be easier to organize stuff, etc than over boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭figs86

Hey guys, congrats!

I'm a 2nd year GEM living in Windy Arbour (between Bird Ave and Dundrum).

Have a room in the house I'm renting with a final med available.

PM me for details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

kermicrzy wrote: »
    Cheers
    Anyway let me know if anyone decides to setup a FB group (dont think there is GEP 2015 one yet). Might be easier to organize stuff, etc than over boards.

I thought that you guys are GEMs, not GEPs :D

Zagato wrote: »
    I thought that you guys are GEMs, not GEPs :D

Haha, god I wouldnt want to rock the boat..
    Thanks for the catch ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

a Dublin Bus student 30 day travel ticket will set you back €82.... that's 20 pints in my language.

Prepare to learn a completely new language in Dublin.

Just want to start now. I wonder what the gender divide and age range is in the class is.

I'm 23 and male. Did law originally

26 Male and I have 6 days left as a Civil Engineer. Woot!!

Oh and I made a class page on facebook. join at your peril

http://www.facebook.com/groups/266102766736777/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Tradesmann

27 and male, ag engineer here. handing in my notice tomorrow...any tips for easing the boss through the shock?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Bonnieaurstomp

Congratulation to everybody heading to UCD. I'm 30 (ya I'm old, but I look a lot younger, so maybe I'll just lie about my age:D), and currently working in a lab for an evil pharmaceutical company.

I really don't know how some of you guys made it through the last few weeks of waiting (you all have my upmost respect). It wasn't something i really had to worry about, but even the shock of accepting a place, handing in my notice at work today, giving my landlord notice on tuesday, has me shaking like a leaf right now.

Roll on September, can't wait to meet you all. Those that I have met briefly (Yillan, PollyP) seem like really great people and I'm sure we'll all have a blast.

Haha, someone just joined the Facebook page who went to the same secondary school as me in the beautiful, scenic town of Tuam in North County Galway. Small world, just got smaller.

Ramble over, i need a drink.

Congratulation to everybody heading to UCD. I'm 30 (ya I'm old, but I look a lot younger, so maybe I'll just lie about my age:D), and currently working in a lab for an evil pharmaceutical company.

I really don't know how some of you guys made it through the last few weeks of waiting (you all have my upmost respect). It wasn't something i really had to worry about, but even the shock of accepting a place, handing in my notice at work today, giving my landlord notice on tuesday, has me shaking like a leaf right now.

Roll on September, can't wait to meet you all. Those that I have met briefly (Yillan, PollyP) seem like really great people and I'm sure we'll all have a blast.

Haha, someone just joined the Facebook page who went to the same secondary school as me in the beautiful, scenic town of Tuam in North County Galway. Small world, just got smaller.

Ramble over, i need a drink.

My mother's from Tuam as well... good god there I said it! :o

24 Male just finishing a research MSc after my original degree in Athletic therapy and training in DCU

God am I the only girl so far? Ah well life could be worse :D

Im 27, did biotech, and now just finishing my PhD in pharmacology.

After living here for 8 years, Ive almost gotten rid of that American accent... Four more years should do it

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Wilhelmet

I'm a 30 year old Male, and an architect (well, ex-architect now I guess), looking forward to meeting you all. From Galway, but have lived in London for past few years....so entirely possible that I'll be the one with the mutant accent, but hopefully it's all in my mind...

Exciting days indeed...I just did a big 'gulp' at the Term 1 and Term 2 itinerary info from that link above. Amazing how quickly your brain can move from one source of anxiety (will I get a place???) to another (will I be able to keep up??!?!) in the space of a few hours... ; )

Tradesmann wrote: »
    27 and male, ag engineer here. handing in my notice tomorrow...any tips for easing the boss through the shock?!

cake and a smile :D

Wilhelmet wrote: »
    I'm a 30 year old Male, and an architect (well, ex-architect now I guess), looking forward to meeting you all. From Galway, but have lived in London for past few years....so entirely possible that I'll be the one with the mutant accent, but hopefully it's all in my mind...

Exciting days indeed...I just did a big 'gulp' at the Term 1 and Term 2 itinerary info from that link above. Amazing how quickly your brain can move from one source of anxiety (will I get a place???) to another (will I be able to keep up??!?!) in the space of a few hours... ; )

wow strange how four of the lads are from Galway... most be what we put in the water.

I'm very excited to get going and to meeting everyone.

welcome one and all to our odd little club.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Wilhelmet

wow strange how for of the lads are from Galway... most be what we put in the water.

I'm very excited to get going and to meeting everyone.

welcome one and all to our odd little club.

Must be all that cryptosporidium!!! ;)

Great stuff, really looking forward to meeting you all....and not a bad odd little club to be part of at all..

Things are moving very fast - have to go in Tuesday to get the loan sorted out so might go for a sneaky spin around the health science building.

does anyone know if we have to register online or do we do it during orientation week?

Things are moving very fast - have to go in Tuesday to get the loan sorted out so might go for a sneaky spin around the health science building.

does anyone know if we have to register online or do we do it during orientation week?

Not a clue about registration. I assume we get some form registration pack in the post in the next week or so. Holy sheet you're onto the loan already.... nice work. Who are you thinking of goin with?

• Advertisement

Iv done a small bit of research and AIB seem to be the bank to go with. I was talking to Georgina from the branch on campus and she said everything should be fine just call in Tueday morning with my acceptance letter and a passport and she'll sort it out (I was looking at new medicine media too and she has a reputation of being super helpfull). Iv been a customer of AIB for the last 5 years so I presume new customers may need more documents such as proof of address etc.

Some points of the loan

Base lending rate is 4.9% (I think I didnt write this figure down)
    at the moment the variable rate on top of that is 1.7%
    so that would total 6.6%
    This changes when we graduate - I have to talk to her about this when I go in on tuesday
    its usually paid back between 5 and 7 years
    Life cover is now mandatory (not from AIB) but has to be over 100k because in the end thats what the total loan will cost

Some points of the loan

Base lending rate is 4.9% (I think I didnt write this figure down)
    at the moment the variable rate on top of that is 1.7%
    so that would total 6.6%
    This changes when we graduate - I have to talk to her about this when I go in on tuesday
    its usually paid back between 5 and 7 years
    Life cover is now mandatory (not from AIB) but has to be over 100k because in the end thats what the total loan will cost

I emailed all the branches alright and I thought they were really helpful. I've been with AIB forever.

I was talking to Georgina a few weeks back and the rates were inclusive and the overall rate is 4.05% have a look here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...83&postcount=1
    I got an email off the guy from BoI on Tuesday with the updated offer for this year. Starting rate was 4.06%. They've reduced their interest rate after we finish to 7.5~% percent and increased the length of time over which you can pay it to 10years.
    I was just wondering what it's like when you actually go to sit down to get things sorted and how long it takes.

I guess I better ring them and sort it out. I'd prefer to stay with AIB if they are both the same as it would just be easier and I've always found them good.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭sparrow3

30 year old male , worked last 5 years as a management consultant with a degree in business and law.

Dont think there is anything more satisfying as walking into your boss and saying - "we need to talk" !!!

Know a few people who are going into second year in ucd and love it so think we have all made the right decision - looking forward to meeting you all

sparrow3 wrote: »
    30 year old male , worked last 5 years as a management consultant with a degree in business and law.

Dont think there is anything more satisfying as walking into your boss and saying - "we need to talk" !!!

Know a few people who are going into second year in ucd and love it so think we have all made the right decision - looking forward to meeting you all

Ha excellent! For those of you not on the facebook group above yet. Here's our timetable for registration week.

http://www.ucd.ie/incomingstudents/timetable/DN401%20Graduate%20Entry%20MedicineVer1.pdf

so we have to pick 1 of these electives for semester 1;

Food Diet and Health
    Basic Principles of Cell Biology
    Molecules in Medicine
    A Social History of Irish Healthcare
    Physics in Medicine
    Introduction to Psychology
    Social Anthropology

anybody have any ideas which one they will go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

so we have to pick 1 of these electives for semester 1;

Food Diet and Health
    Basic Principles of Cell Biology
    Molecules in Medicine
    A Social History of Irish Healthcare
    Physics in Medicine
    Introduction to Psychology
    Social Anthropology

anybody have any ideas which one they will go for?

If I'd sense, as a non-science grad, I'd go for Cell Biology, but I'm more inclined towards the food diet and health. I'd have a look at the physics module aswell, provided it doesn't require any prior physics knowledge. I would be interested in the psychology, but it does sound like a type of module where they keep saying, 'you'll learn more about that in a later module', and then that module never comes.

The others wouldn't really interest me

GradMed did a nice little synopsis of all the modules iirc in the original UCD thread with the programme description. Could be helpful. I'll avoid anything that involves an essay or project work, not a fan even though I wouldn't mind re anthropology. I've done chemistry so that's molecules etc out. Molecular bio is probably the smart money although I wouldn't mind food health purely for myself and it'd be interestin to know definitively how diet affects your health as opposed to all the cabbage they write in papers and magazines.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 SpiderP

Social history of Irish healthcare is a little dreamboat.
    You go to two lectures a week that are basically an engaging lecturer telling stories about days gone by and at the end of it your exit exam is a one hour MCQ with no negative marking that anyone with a bit of common sense and some knowledge of Irish history could pass without having ever attended a lecture.
    No brainer if you've got a good grounding in natural sciences.
    All electives carry same amount of credits but some have a lot more exams than others. Pay close attention to this in the course description!!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭GradMed

Don't worry about credits and exams at this stage, just pick an elective you think you'll enjoy.
    The very best of luck to all of you starting in UCD and if you have any questions just pm me and I'll try to answer them.

P.s social history, or storytime as we called it, was wonderful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 getleft

Social history any day of the week if you have life sciences background. Did 2 hours readthrough of notes before the final exam = 92.5% result. Highly recommended.

Advertisement