Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD bound 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 caz_von

oh glory- I think I definitely the oldest so far. 34 Female currently Export Manager for Diagnostic company.

Never thought I'd make UCD-happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Why are there so few people in our facebook group? What's wrong with us???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Lbgem

Yillan wrote: »
    Why are there so few people in our facebook group? What's wrong with us???

Nothing :p, just slow going. For me personally I don't have a FB account but will set up one at some point.

Not to mention there's so many Irish names on there :eek: (yes totally gave away I'm American) and while I was a Celtic Studies major in college, I am excited/nervous about being completely immersed in Irish culture. Not to mention everyone is going to have accents!

Lbgem wrote: »
    Not to mention everyone is going to have accents!

You're the one with the accent buddy. We speak pure normal like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Lbgem

You're the one with the accent buddy. We speak pure normal like

Psh. I have no accent. Only time I sound different from the East Coasters (I'm in Boston) is when a little too much Californian slips into my speech and I overuse the dude and totally.

Not to mention there are some weird words on these boards that I've never heard before - that's cabbage? O_o for example

Accent analysis: Brits sound wayyyy too proper and I start to mind my manners more when I'm listening to one. Irish is probably one of my favorites, though is it bad if I think leprechuans when I hear it (keep in mind what we hear of Irish accents in America is mostly this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp3Dt1Nk3WE)?

I did take Irish Gaelic at one point though the pronunciation was tough because my prof didn't correct us at all - she said no matter how we said the word, it would sound like an accent in Ireland somewhere.

I'm not quite sure how I'm going to feel when I'm one of the few normal speaking ones in the class.... (No offense intended by this post btw). Though um...I think I have to refigure out cereals to eat over there, does Ireland even have Lucky Charms? Or Cinnamon Toast Crunch? I've had 'Irish oatmeal' over here and uh, how do you guys stand cooking breakfast for 30 minutes? O_o. I don't even spend that long making lunch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

Lbgem wrote: »
    Nothing :p, just slow going. For me personally I don't have a FB account but will set up one at some point.

Not to mention there's so many Irish names on there :eek: (yes totally gave away I'm American) and while I was a Celtic Studies major in college, I am excited/nervous about being completely immersed in Irish culture. Not to mention everyone is going to have accents!

if you really want to be immersed in Irish culture a trip to Copper Face Jacks will be on the cards

got the loan sorted today too - they said it would take 3/4 weeks processing time and that after its approved it wont be available to be drawn on until October so save up a bit now to get you through the first month.

Also they said the registry would be grand with it just tell them the campus branch is looking after the fees and they'll send them over when they are ready.

All very stress free actually

What's the total number of people in the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Bonnieaurstomp

What's the total number of people in the course?

I think it's 77 EU students, and I've no idea about the international student numbers. Only 22 in our little Facebook group so far :(

According to TiredCity's epic post, it was half and half last year, North Americans to Irish. There was only an increase in EU places this year so that's 55.

77+55= 132. And then there's the Malaysians to think about, if they weren't included in TiredCity's half and half comment. So there could be upwards of 150 people in the lecture theatre next month. Our graduation class will then contain the 90 undergrads minus the malaysians who leave after the first 2 years. 222 students in our class in 3rd and 4th year.

Think what it'll do for our facebook friends lists. Bonus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 kermicrzy

Coming from a final graduating class of about 15, this will be a nice change. At least there will be no lack of social activities. Not like we'll have any free time to go, but still nice to know!

Does anybody know if we can rent a locker and are there shower facilities in the med building? I'll be biking it in every day once I find my feet and Id rather not be soaked in sweat to start the day :)

Yep we have lockers. As for the showers there are some in the sports centre which is nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 getleft

77+55= 132. And then there's the Malaysians to think about, if they weren't included in TiredCity's half and half comment.

Hi. The Malaysians are in the undergrad stream so you guys won't have much contact with them apart from the First Aid course you do for the GP module and the Principles of Infection lectures and tutorials. 132 sounds big regardless, great social life in prospect for you guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭GradMed

kermicrzy wrote: »
    Yep we have lockers. As for the showers there are some in the sports centre which is nearby.

there are showers in the Health Sciences building. 1st or 2nd floor near the main computer lab. You'll get some better directions from the front desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sophievdp

Hey all!

Seriously confused right now. I accepted a place in UCC at Round Zero but just got a call from UCD admin office offering me a place! :eek: Seriously did NOT expect that. I was surprised when I got Cork, I didn't think I had the points for there let alone UCD.

I really do not know what to do. UCD was always higher on my list but I've grown to really like Cork and the campus and the course is amazing. I've also put down a deposit on accommodation. On the other hand, being from Galway, Dublin would be sooo much handier and the course seems really great too. I never got a chance to go to any of the open days, but from reading the old threads here the course seems fantastic.

:eek::eek:
    I need to email them tomorrow to let them know which way I'm thinking. either way, the offer is coming next monday. :(

anybody have any advice? I realise I am incredibly lucky having been given offers for 2 fantastic courses, but I don't know I can choose between them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 melanie87

Sophievdp wrote: »
    Hey all!

Seriously confused right now. I accepted a place in UCC at Round Zero but just got a call from UCD admin office offering me a place! :eek: Seriously did NOT expect that. I was surprised when I got Cork, I didn't think I had the points for there let alone UCD.

I really do not know what to do. UCD was always higher on my list but I've grown to really like Cork and the campus and the course is amazing. I've also put down a deposit on accommodation. On the other hand, being from Galway, Dublin would be sooo much handier and the course seems really great too. I never got a chance to go to any of the open days, but from reading the old threads here the course seems fantastic.

:eek::eek:
    I need to email them tomorrow to let them know which way I'm thinking. either way, the offer is coming next monday. :(

anybody have any advice? I realise I am incredibly lucky having been given offers for 2 fantastic courses, but I don't know I can choose between them!

whats your gamsat score? 58?
    I really don't know what i'd do in this situation lol? Maybe Cork because the cost of living is lower since you have to move out anyway? Both are great courses so good luck deciding!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sophievdp

yeah it was 58. Never thought UCD was within my reach, so it was a bit of shock when I got the call! At the minute my gut instinct is to accept the place in Dublin. It is more expensive to live there, but I think I'd end up saving a lot more on travel expenses, especially if I manage to get a place near UCD. Also the place I was going to live in Cork was a bit pricey, so I might even get a cheaper place in Dublin.

Congrats! Thats fantastic news. Well maybe you would feel better with a look around UCD to get a picture. Im around all week if you want someone to show you around. To be honest, I fell in love with UCD program at the open day. The prospect of doing forensic medicine module in 3rd year is something that really sealed it for me.

Anyway you should have a look around, it might make or break it for you:)

Best of luck!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Tradesmann

Hi Guys

Did anyone who accepted an offer from UCD at round 0 stage get their information packs from the college yet or what's the story? Got nothin here yet and just wondering : /

Cheers

• Advertisement

Tradesmann wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Did anyone who accepted an offer from UCD at round 0 stage get their information packs from the college yet or what's the story? Got nothin here yet and just wondering : /

Cheers

AFAIK they dont get sent out until the LC get their offers at round 1

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Shrugging Atlas

Any word yet on when you select your optional module? Previous years seemed to have had a week or two into the course before having to choose, but not clear if that's the case this year or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Tradesmann

I still didnt get any course timetable etc or module info from ucd even though I accepted a place in grad med...should i be contacting them or am i getting my jocks in a twist over nothing? :o

I would be very surprised if we don't get a week or two to check out some of the electives before making our choice.

The latter, tradesmann

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Maybe bit off topic, but if anyone here plays rugby, could you send me a PM, as training for Hospital's Cup will start shortly into term, and just looking to see if anyone interested

Looking at the facebook page of UCD GEM class of 2014, it seems they picked their modules around this time last year and although we don't have to commit to a choice until September 9th, modules are available on a first come first served basis and some options such as psychology and food and diet fill up early.

There is a problem with the website at the moment: read all about it

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Paella

Does anyone know if our timetable is available yet? I haven't been able to access it yet on the UCD website and I'm hoping to get hold of it ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭pollypigwash

Paella wrote: »
    Does anyone know if our timetable is available yet? I haven't been able to access it yet on the UCD website and I'm hoping to get hold of it ASAP.

Don't think we can get our individual timetable's until we pay our fees.

This has everything though

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/generalreferencetimetable.html

Scroll down to BHMED007 on the left. That's us.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Paella wrote: »

You should be able to see it in SISWeb once you register. Think your registration opens 1st Sept, according to the registry website. The registry website appears to have collapsed twice in recent weeks when registration for other years opened, so don't freak out if it all goes tits up on Thursday :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Paella

Hi all, looking through our schedule for tomorrow and student card collection is at 12:30. However my fees haven't been paid yet so according to the UCD website, I won't be able to pick up my card.

Does anyone know if this'll cause a problem or if I'll just be able to pick it up at a later date when my fees have gone through?

Advertisement