Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

James Connolly; Irish or Scottish.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

He certainly claimed to have been born in Ireland, and Larkin did similar. I think this would have been a common tactic for any man or woman who returned to Ireland in later life, to claim they were born in Ireland so as to be more acceptable to the rest of the population. Nobody can say for sure where he was born, but I think if you had asked him if he were Scottish or Irish Connolly would have told you he was a worker, and if pressed I think he would have said Irish after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ValJester

Surely that as a Marxist he should have seen nationality as a social construct, and considered his first priority to be the emancipation of the worker. Marx himself held strongly pro-Fenian views throughout his life, so it fits quite naturally that Connolly would be both Fenian and Marxist.

Well as I said he would have considered himself a worker first. However the rejection of nationalism is I believe a second international position, and I think Connolly would have seen himself as an Orthodox Marxist, with syndicalist tendencies. He was obviously internationalist but didn't necessarily believe it important to deny nationalist sentiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

It doesn't matter as he was more worried about the treatment of workers and their families in the tenaments of Ireland and Scotland. His ideas were bigger than his place of birth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Depends how old he was when he got to Ireland for me to consider him technically Irish.

Though if you have Irish parents I would consider you Irish for all intents and purposes tbh

well then he's Irish by your own definition(s)...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Born in Ireland prior to the referendum undoing the right of citizenship by birth - therefore, Irish.

That referendum you refer to relates to a child born of non Irish parents. Connolly's parents were Irish, so even if the referendum was in place, he would still be entitled to Citizenship, via Section 7 descent.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 hXci

I would always consider Connolly to be Irish. Born to a Leitrim mother and a Monaghan father, he considered himself Irish, so why people get caught up in this issue and proclaim him Scottish is beyond me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

owenc wrote: »
    Irish because he dosn't live in ni but with full scottish ancestry. EDIT: oh sorry for being so rude i read about him he was born in scotland so hes scottish (don't know why people are saying hes irish) and ihs ancestry is ulster scots because he has irish parents but they are ulster scots.
    That post makes no sense. His parents were not of Ulster-Scots vintage, why would you think that? Surely the clue is in his surname!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

grenache wrote: »
    That post makes no sense. His parents were not of Ulster-Scots vintage, why would you think that? Surely the clue is in his surname!

anyone living in the North at one point or another, knows full well that the surname of the family does not always tell you their nationality, political nationality etc

Advertisement