Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Spirogyra wrote:
    Could a marathon plan contain just 4 days running per week? One long run,one tempo/farlek,one midweek long run and one other ?. I know 5 is the ideal,but my knee is still,even after a number of physio appointments,problematic. Thanks,S

did it on 3. not necessarily recommended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Down South wrote: »
    did it on 3. not necessarily recommended
    Thanks,not sure myself it is recommended,with a knee/IT Band problem. Don't have to make the decision now. Received an entry as a birthday present. Transfer is allowed,not sure about deferral though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Would people be willing to share their post-long run routines?

What do you do immediately after a long run? Mug of chocolate milk? Straight into the shower? Stretching?

Is it best to eat straight after? I usually have a shower at the club, but it could be 40 mins to 1hr after finishing before I get to eat, because I'd chat, shower, walk home etc ... I generally feel OK, but yesterday I was so cold and hungry after it I had to get a take away coffee with hot milk for the walk home ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Is it best to eat straight after? I usually have a shower at the club, but it could be 40 mins to 1hr after finishing before I get to eat, because I'd chat, shower, walk home etc ... I generally feel OK, but yesterday I was so cold and hungry after it I had to get a take away coffee with hot milk for the walk home ...

Yeah,it's supposedly best to eat straight after as your body and hormones are hyperabsorbant to protein and carbs straight after a run. Your absorb them much faster. That's another reason why chocolate milk is regarded as the ultimate recovery drink. It has both whey and casein protein and carbohydrates, whey is a fast absorbed protein and casein has a slow absorbtion rate so you get you get your protein straight in and absorbed in the magic window and casein kicks in later and for longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

I mix chocolate milk and protein milk and consume a litre or more. Maybe a bananna or a flapjack too. Before I shower. Stretching inc planks before and after shower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

How much chocolate milk to make it count? I drink about 300mls-ish. Is that even enough? for a 10mile distance. For half marathon distance about half a litre. Should I be having more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    How much chocolate milk to make it count? I drink about 300mls-ish. Is that even enough? for a 10mile distance. For half marathon distance about half a litre. Should I be having more?

More than enough. People tend to over consume. General rule is roughly 1.2 g of carb's per kg of body weight. To put that into perspective a person of around 12 stone would need just under a litre if that was the only source of carbs. The problem is that people have this and then follow it up with full meal which is overconsumption.

Should also be noted that the recovery window (protein perspective) is alot bigger than the 30/60 min golden window often cited which have been debunked and tends to be closer to 12 hours. Carbs however is a bit shorter but meal within first hour will suffice with this

Hi

I have been running pretty solid for 2 months, at the start the heart rate was high so i mixed up short distance and a bit longer distance.

So i am doing 5km faster runs but the heartrate is consistently high, close to 180.

Then for longer distance i try to control the heartrate and slow down the pace, so for example i did 13.5km yesterday evening at a speed of 5:50 per km and average heartrate of 164. what i have noticed on the longer runs is about 8-9km in my left upper arm feels like its getting dead, a weird uncomfortable feeling like its a feeling close to the bone. Has anyone experienced this, i am not sure if its down to me still relatively starting out on longer distances 10km+ as i have only done about 6 of them in the last month.

Just not sure should i be getting alarmed or if its the body getting used to running for over an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I used to get a horrible pain in my shoulder after a few miles, no doubt from an old shoulder injury I got a long time ago. Got rid if it through strength and mobility work. Not sure if same issue if course

IvoryTower wrote: »
    I used to get a horrible pain in my shoulder after a few miles, no doubt from an old shoulder injury I got a long time ago. Got rid if it through strength and mobility work. Not sure if same issue if course

cheers, i am thinking it could be just my body getting used to it again. going to go back to the gym as well to start strength training and see if that works

• Advertisement

More than enough. People tend to over consume. General rule is roughly 1.2 g of carb's per kg of body weight. To put that into perspective a person of around 12 stone would need just under a litre if that was the only source of carbs. The problem is that people have this and then follow it up with full meal which is overconsumption.

Should also be noted that the recovery window (protein perspective) is alot bigger than the 30/60 min golden window often cited which have been debunked and tends to be closer to 12 hours. Carbs however is a bit shorter but meal within first hour will suffice with this

The 'people tend to follow it up with a full meal' / 'overconsumption' issue is the reason I usually don't eat straight after a run - especially if I'm going out to a cafe with friends or something after a run. I'm always so looking forwards to my eggs / coffee whatever I'm planning on having that I don't want to have a choc milk straight after and then have to knock 300 kcls or whatever off my delicious brunch. :) There's probably a happy medium - like I could have a Babybel cheese or something as soon as I finish, and a bit less butter on my toast at breakfast?

Hi

I have been running pretty solid for 2 months, at the start the heart rate was high so i mixed up short distance and a bit longer distance.

So i am doing 5km faster runs but the heartrate is consistently high, close to 180.

Then for longer distance i try to control the heartrate and slow down the pace, so for example i did 13.5km yesterday evening at a speed of 5:50 per km and average heartrate of 164. what i have noticed on the longer runs is about 8-9km in my left upper arm feels like its getting dead, a weird uncomfortable feeling like its a feeling close to the bone. Has anyone experienced this, i am not sure if its down to me still relatively starting out on longer distances 10km+ as i have only done about 6 of them in the last month.

Just not sure should i be getting alarmed or if its the body getting used to running for over an hour.

If your heart is racing and your left arm is going dead, I'd go to your GP for a check up. I'd probably go before my next run, just to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Duanington

I struggle to eat after a long run or a tough session\race....so its smoothie city for me. Peanut butter, porridge, banana, frozen berries, OJ, whey protein and some water into a blender.

After a long run I'll get this into me within a few minutes of getting in the door, I'll usually have something bigger then after an hour or so.

I run my long runs in the evening after work though so that probably makes my post long run intake a little different to most other people's.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

vargoo wrote: »

I think the Nike hype machine do a bit of a disservice to Kiphoge. If it is just the shoes then it makes his Berlin win back in 2015 a superior run than anything before or since.

http://fortune.com/2015/09/28/nike-running-shoes-berlin-marathon/

Either way puts him as the greatest marathoner ever

I think the Nike hype machine do a bit of a disservice to Kiphoge. If it is just the shoes then it makes his Berlin win back in 2015 a superior run than anything before or since.

http://fortune.com/2015/09/28/nike-running-shoes-berlin-marathon/

Either way puts him as the greatest marathoner ever

Completely agree. Fun fact or maybe just too much of an anorak but those shoes for Berlin 2015 were the vaporfly 4% prototype with a streak upper.

The shoes obviously help, put a carbon plate into anything and you'll go faster, track spikes have been doing it for decades. Dennis Kimetto was wearing the Adios boost when he set the old record which were pruported to give a 2% increase in economy. Kipchoge is just one of those outliers that come around every so often. Besides breaking the World record by 78 seconds the year, he was the fastest in the world by 2 minutes and 21 seconds in 2018. No one else broke 2:04 despite pretty much everyone else wearing the Vaporfly.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Random question, what's the closest drink we have to gatorade in Ireland. I know the odd store might have it but I have not see it. Would like to taste it on a few runs before Boston.

Limpy wrote: »
    Random question, what's the closest drink we have to gatorade in Ireland. I know the odd store might have it but I have not see it. Would like to taste it on a few runs before Boston.

Pretty sure I've seen gatorade in tesco

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

El CabaIIo wrote: »
    Pretty sure I've seen gatorade in tesco

Cheers will have a look next time, just checked its online store it shows up in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I wonder could any 80k/50mile 10k racing merchants share their average daily diet? Im either losing weight or gaining it and struggle to get a balance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

I wonder could any 80k/50mile 10k racing merchants share their average daily diet? Im either losing weight or gaining it and struggle to get a balance

On the sweets/off the sweets.

Eat less sweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

This question partly motivated by watching horse racing on tv but can you run around the Leopardstown racecourse?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

This question partly motivated by watching horse racing on tv but can you run around the Leopardstown racecourse?

i've seen plenty of jocks do it before racing (some clown done it navan in middle of a race recently) but as far as I can see I would doubt it, they would be v precious of the grass! Its not great running on race tracks too, plenty of holes and grass is always kept fairly long.

There is a tarmac track around it ofr the tv camara's.

Nice 8k around the outside of it, up glenamuck hill, in through Foxrock and back to along lep road.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Graham1882

Ran around it twice. First time security guard said nothing, second time security guard asked me to get off it. Both times i entered at the golf course entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

I’m signed up to do the Gap of Dunloe HM in February and I’m a bit lost as to how to pace on such a hilly course (~400m of climbing over the 21K).

I’ve done several HMs and my usual race pace would be 5:20-5:30/km...however, I’m thinking maybe I need to drop down the pace quite a bit to compensate for the hills/mountains (ie, to avoid burning out my legs). Any advice on how to approach this?

P.S. as I live in the midlands, my training is restricted to relatively flat terrain. The only hills nearby, while fairly steep, are also fairly short, so I never get to see how my stamina holds up on long inclines

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

EDit wrote: »
    I’m signed up to do the Gap of Dunloe HM in February and I’m a bit lost as to how to pace on such a hilly course (~400m of climbing over the 21K).

I’ve done several HMs and my usual race pace would be 5:20-5:30/km...however, I’m thinking maybe I need to drop down the pace quite a bit to compensate for the hills/mountains (ie, to avoid burning out my legs). Any advice on how to approach this?

P.S. as I live in the midlands, my training is restricted to relatively flat terrain. The only hills nearby, while fairly steep, are also fairly short, so I never get to see how my stamina holds up on long inclines

As soon as you start you will immediately notice that pace means nothing on that course.

Just try and run at the same effort level as you would on a flat course, and accept the fact that your time will be several minutes slower than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

As soon as you start you will immediately notice that pace means nothing on that course.

Just try and run at the same effort level as you would on a flat course, and accept the fact that your time will be several minutes slower than usual.

Thanks. I kind of expected as much. Will forget about time and pace and focus on getting around 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Some of ye may recall previous posts of mine 're being off the road for 7 months following 2 major surgeries...i lost ALL my fitness 
    Well 9 months back at it and tbh I'm struggling to regain my fitness..driving me mad.
    I run a few 5ks during week and a longer run at weekends..out most days..yet I can't improve times or fitness much..im struggling...any ideas? Intervals? Longer runs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Zipppy wrote: »
    Some of ye may recall previous posts of mine 're being off the road for 7 months following 2 major surgeries...i lost ALL my fitness 
    Well 9 months back at it and tbh I'm struggling to regain my fitness..driving me mad.
    I run a few 5ks during week and a longer run at weekends..out most days..yet I can't improve times or fitness much..im struggling...any ideas? Intervals? Longer runs?

Do you, by any chance, run your midweek 5ks at a fast pace/trying to beat the day previous day's time?

If the answer is 'yes' that might be what's holding you back. What's your long run and do you try to up the distance a little every few weeks?

In any case, stay at it. If you run consistently and a fair bit of it at easy pace, then you will improve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Itziger wrote:
    If the answer is 'yes' that might be what's holding you back. What's your long run and do you try to up the distance a little every few weeks?

Itziger wrote:
    In any case, stay at it. If you run consistently and a fair bit of it at easy pace, then you will improve.

Hey thanks..yes always trying to improve and get back where I was...unsuccessfully thus far.
    10k at weekends..sometimes both days...
    I'm keeping slogging away but something needs to change as it's not working..
    Gonna start intervals...like tomorrow ðŸ˜

Advertisement