Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M50 - apalling gridlock

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,774 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Nope. The law is about road behaviour being predictable. If people adhere to the law then you know that you won't be overtaken on the left. You can therefore expect to be able to move left with relative ease. If people don't adhere to the law then you are more vulnerable as you drive because you have no idea what another driver will do. If you're sensible, you slow down to allow yourself more reaction time and, of course, that slows everyone else down.

Probably should be pulled over. Same as people not driving in bus lanes when they are not in operation. They're all breaking rules also...

yes but if people were educated on the rules of the road and it was explained to the that the middle and outside lanes are overtaking lanes only, that would mean the majority of people wouldn't drive in them at 70kph unless they had to overtake a slower vehicle or made way for a merging vehicle coming off an on ramp.
    this would mean people wouldn't have to overtake on the left while still driving at or under the speed limit.
    the problem is people, including professional drivers, hgv, taxis etc just aren't aware of this.

'cos you're totally exceeding 60kph anywhere on the M50 this morning eh?

You think I'm idiot enough to drive the M50? Traffic was mayhem this morning, I'd expect people's commute time was close to doubled. I cycled to work as usual and took the same amount of time as I always do...

your a great lad. i honestly think cycling is the answer to alot of dublins traffic problems for those that commute within the m50. People travelling from outside the m50 (commuter towns, outer suburbs) are a different problem that needs to be treated in a different way, ie p+r's with high quality radial and orbital qbc's with very frequent bus routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Amaru976

tom1ie wrote: »
    the problem is people, including professional drivers, hgv, taxis etc just aren't aware of this.

100%
    People (drivers) can be absolute morons!!
    Rubber-neckers are the worst!! Van breaks down, pulls in to the hard shoulder, traffic is FCUKED for the next 4 hours coz everyone has to slow down and have a gander... GET OVER IT!! MOVE!!!
    Idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Terrlock

yes but if people were educated on the rules of the road and it was explained to the that the middle and outside lanes are overtaking lanes only, that would mean the majority of people wouldn't drive in them at 70kph unless they had to overtake a slower vehicle or made way for a merging vehicle coming off an on ramp.
    this would mean people wouldn't have to overtake on the left while still driving at or under the speed limit.

People are well aware of the rules - they just couldn't be bothered following them.

where exactly do the RSA state that driving in lanes 2 and 3 leaves a driver open to a charge of dangerous driving? bearing in mind that dangerous driving is a very serious charge.

no no, i said driving slowly in lanes 2 and 3. lanes 2 and 3 are overtaking lanes only. this is clearly stated by the r.s.a. Therefore if you are driving at 60kph in lane 2 or 3 when the driving lane (lane 1) is clear, you are breaking the r.s.a's rules on how to use the motorway, therefore you can be pulled over by the traffic corps for being a hazard as you are not following the rules of the specific road you are on.
    the problem is this is not known widely enough let alone enforced.

Terrlock wrote: »
    People are well aware of the rules - they just couldn't be bothered following them.

but they are not aware. There was absolutely no advantage for the taxi driver i got last week to drive in the middle lane on the m50 at 85-90kph at 6am when there was no traffic in the left hand lane and no on ramps with merging traffic. He was a chatty guy and pleasant so when i asked him out of interest why he was driving in an overtaking lane, (nicely!) he just laughed and said lane 1 and 2 were driving lanes and lane 3 was the fast lane!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

loyatemu wrote: »
    there is a bus between Dundrum and Tallaght - the 75.

It's called the 75 because after the first bus drives by you, you have to wait another 75 minutes for the next bus to drive right by you.

:D
    It's called the 75 because after the first bus drives by you, you have to wait another 75 minutes for the next bus to drive right by you.

:D ha! just wondering about that route, what percentage of that rout would be in a dedicated bus lane or dare i ask a qbc?
    I imagine not much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

your a great lad.
    I know... ;)
    i honestly think cycling is the answer to alot of dublins traffic problems for those that commute within the m50. People travelling from outside the m50 (commuter towns, outer suburbs) are a different problem that needs to be treated in a different way, ie p+r's with high quality radial and orbital qbc's with very frequent bus routes.
    Agreed. The trouble is that people's default option is the car and, while that is the case, public transport cannot run efficiently so everyone defaults to the car.

There are a number of ways to facilitate longer distance commuters including park+ride, park+pedal, train/bus+pedal. I know of a number of people who drive a certain distance, park in suburban streets and cycle the rest of the way. What would be really good would be bike spaces on trains/buses that are always available. Of course, that would use up a lot of real estate on trains already crammed to the doors in rush hour.

All of these would work to reduce M50 gridlock...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

your a great lad. i honestly think cycling is the answer to alot of dublins traffic problems for those that commute within the m50. People travelling from outside the m50 (commuter towns, outer suburbs) are a different problem that needs to be treated in a different way, ie p+r's with high quality radial and orbital qbc's with very frequent bus routes.

P&R with secure and supervised bike parking using a check in/out system at train stations would go a long way. I know there's a couple of bike lockers at some stations but there's been break-ins, or attempted break-ins, at those, and you're not guaranteed one either.

There used to be one in a bike store on O'Connell Bridge in a basement, you paid a small fee, given a ticket, and away you go for the day knowing your bike is perfectly secure. There's similar in Drury Street carpark but wouldn't be 100% secure.

• Advertisement

I know... ;)

Agreed. The trouble is that people's default option is the car and, while that is the case, public transport cannot run efficiently so everyone defaults to the car.

There are a number of ways to facilitate longer distance commuters including park+ride, park+pedal, train/bus+pedal. I know of a number of people who drive a certain distance, park in suburban streets and cycle the rest of the way. What would be really good would be bike spaces on trains/buses that are always available. Of course, that would use up a lot of real estate on trains already crammed to the doors in rush hour.

All of these would work to reduce M50 gridlock...

yeah these ideas would all help and p+r's on the main radial routes, could be built, coupled with quality frequent orbital qbc's and cycling lanes (or expanded in some cases). Theses could be built relatively quicker and cheaper than the major projects we keep hearing about, but will take ages to be fully implemented, ie bus connects, metrolink, dart underground etc.
    now if anyone could just find our minister for transport and let him know of these good ideas.............:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,239 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Amaru976 wrote: »
    100%
    Rubber-neckers are the worst!! Van breaks down, pulls in to the hard shoulder, traffic is FCUKED for the next 4 hours coz everyone has to slow down and have a gander... GET OVER IT!! MOVE!!!
    Idiots.
    no. traffic is ****ed for four hours because there's too much traffic. the M50 is well over 50% above capacity.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Allinall wrote: »
    I thought the carbon tax was to incentivise people out of cars.

Maybe it needs to be introduced quicker, rather than delayed.

Very simplistic clap trap. The vast majority of people who take the m50 due so because there is no public transport. Transport in Dublin directed mainly along coasts with few cross city routes.
    If there are are public transport alternatives they would Increase your commuting time by 2 in many cases.
    Thank God you Green tree hugger bullshiiters are down to one seat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Bobtheman wrote: »

Someone is in for a big surprise if they believe this is down to an individual political party, least of all the greens.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Very simplistic clap trap. The vast majority of people who take the m50 due so because there is no public transport. Transport in Dublin directed mainly along coasts with few cross city routes.
    If there are are public transport alternatives they would Increase your commuting time by 2 in many cases.

1. It is incorrect to say that people choose the m50 because there is no public transport.
    2. It is incorrect to say that "Transport in Dublin directed mainly along coasts with few cross city routes". Transport is widespread across Dublin. Assuming you're referring to Public Transport, it too is widespread. However, rail transport (Trains and Trams) are located more towards the coastal areas but not exclusively as the tram goes to Citywest and trains travel out parallel to the N7 and parallelish to the N4.
    3. Public transport options tend to be slower simply because no realistic effort has been made to improve them over the years with successive governments pandering to the car culture. Compare investment in roads against the destruction of the old railway routes.
    4. I'm a petrolhead. I love driving. You cannot "drive" around Dublin with the existing traffic. I'm also aware that the green tree hugger bullshiiters have a point and that Dublin's commuting problems will never be solved by using one's car! By all means continue using your car but priority road space should, is and will be given to sustainable transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Amaru976

I love driving. You cannot "drive" around Dublin with the existing traffic.

Exactly!! I'm the same, love ACTUAL driving. Not surpassing 2nd gear for well over an hour is not driving. Travelling a total distance of 1km in an hour is not driving. I moved out of Dublin recently, now I can drive again!! Recommended for like minds such as yourself, if it was ever on the horizon for you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

josip wrote: »
    loyatemu wrote: »
    there is a bus between Dundrum and Tallaght - the 75.

It's no surprise that the M50 is clogged when there is zero information regarding cross city public transport.
    All routes are available on the journey planner online or app

https://www.transportforireland.ie/journey-planner/about-journey-planner/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

3. Public transport options tend to be slower simply because no realistic effort has been made to improve them over the years with successive governments pandering to the car culture. Compare investment in roads against the destruction of the old railway routes.

It's too simplistic to frame the argument in terms of 'all roads bad, all rail good'.

The inter-urban motorway network was extremely good value, our average cost per km delivered compares favorably with anywhere else in Europe despite paying the highest land acquisition costs.

Conversely, most of the 'destruction of old railway routes' as you call it, was long over due. The vast majority of rail lines are providing very poor value for money and would more efficiently be served by buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

Amaru976 wrote: »
    100%
    Idiots.

But hang on, I want to see what is going on......I can't do it unless I slow down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

magically lovely this morning

be madness from 3:30 on this evening more than likely

it's like half the people crash at work thursday night and then all try to go home Friday early

Perhaps no one managed to rear end anyone, despite many many people trying very very hard to do so

Followed a guy who was tailgating the car in front, say 2-3 meters behind, constantly breaking every 3-4 seconds, he must have no brakes left at this stage, is it some sort of skills challenge hes at or what

it's these people cause the mayhem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

25 minutes to get to work this morning, Friday mornings are fantastic. Evenings, not so much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭appledrop

I adore Fridays mornings. The one day I can get up at a reasonable hour. We deserve it after Wednesday morning:(:eek: Yea Friday evening always a nightmare but then I like a lot of people try to finish a bit earlier on Friday so we all add to it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Drove the M7 roadworks last Sunday evening.

Most Sundays from 6-8pm this has been complete gridlock with people returning to Dublin.

Now with enforcement of the 60kmph limit the traffic was actually flowing. Felt a bit odd to be on a MW at that speed - but the consistent flow was a great change.

Fingers crossed that TII might take note, and accelerate variable speed limits for the M50 - with consistent enforcement.

A 60kmph limit at rush hour should (maybe counter-intuitive to some) actually result in shorter rush hour commutes.

I'd much prefer a constant 60km/h than the usual stop start ****e we have now.
    If only the N4/M4 could be the same

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

blackwhite wrote: »
    Drove the M7 roadworks last Sunday evening.

It's a truly awful road at the moment - I felt quite claustrophobic driving on it a few weeks ago. Can't imagine what it'd be like driving on it twice a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TJ Mackie

I see a few people say Friday mornings are better. What's the reason behind this? Would have thought it would be the same as any other weekday but I guess not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

TJ Mackie wrote: »
    I see a few people say Friday mornings are better. What's the reason behind this? Would have thought it would be the same as any other weekday but I guess not?

Friday mornings tend to be quieter, but the afternoon is worse than normal.

I assume it's people working from home on Fridays, and others then leaving early to head down the country for the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

TJ Mackie wrote: »

People working on a 4 day week will usually take Mondays or Fridays off.
    People taking a long weekend will usually take the Friday off.
    People going out after work on Friday will take the bus/train instead of driving.
    People going away for the weekend will try to get into work earlier so they can get away earlier.

I'm sure there are more reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Friday mornings and Thursday evenings are the quietest of each.

Tuesday mornings are the worst, mainly because of the amount of trucks on Tuesdays is far higher than any other day. It's basically 2 lanes of a rolling roadblock from the M1 interchange to Blanch, where about half leave and the majority of the rest on to the N7.

If only Irish Rail were interested in freight. Most of those trucks are going West on the M7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,531 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Friday mornings and Thursday evenings are the quietest of each.

Tuesday mornings are the worst, mainly because of the amount of trucks on Tuesdays is far higher than any other day. It's basically 2 lanes of a rolling roadblock from the M1 interchange to Blanch.

If only Irish Rail were interested in freight. Most of those trucks are going West on the M7.

I find wednesdays the worst though this morning was particularly **** so i avoided the M50 and took the east link which was equally as bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I find wednesdays the worst though this morning was particularly **** so i avoided the M50 and took the east link which was equally as bad.

I found this morning grand TBH considering the weather. Moving all the way from the Interchange to Redcow, never stopped once. Best Tuesday of the year so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,531 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I found this morning grand TBH considering the weather. Moving all the way from the Interchange to Redcow, never stopped once. Best Tuesday of the year so far.

Well thanks for telling me i made the wrong decision this morning :D

Breakdown at J7 southbound and then a crash just after J15 (one of the lads I work with incidentally) caused mayhem this morning. Usual rubbernecking on the far side caused delays as well going Northbound.

Not a great morning, and I had left early to try beat the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭adocholiday

There was a 1 hour+ tailback from Delgany on the N11 to J15 M50 Northbound due to clowns rubbernecking at an accident on the Southbound side. Absolutely unreal. Then a probably frustrated driver at Kilmacanogue causes another collision to add to the chaos. Luckily I opted for the mountains route. People get into work then late, stressed and exhausted.

Advertisement