Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Over-priced consumer technology?

1235»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 206 ✭✭JustAYoungLad

mammajamma wrote: »
    Televisions, generally, have become cheaper over time. You can see companies trying to inject new (useless) angles like 3d, 4k, 8k, etc. But nobody seems to want them, hence the price direction.

How have the other technologies managed to swindle people?

Why are you lying? Ive been watching 4k HDR blu rays for the past couple months and its a blast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭Frunchy

Apple is for people that don't understand technology and buy them as fashion accessories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭appledrop

Anything made by Apple.

Anyone I know who owns an apple iphone has a damaged screen. I have dropped my Samsung phones loads over the years + not a scratch on them. It's like Apple purposely make the screen crap so people have to pay a fortune to fix it. The mind boggles why people put up with it.

Frunchy wrote: »
    Apple is for people that don't understand technology and buy them as fashion accessories.

Why is that a bad thing? Ingrained into the DNA of humanity is the love for shiny things. Why are you denying basic human nature? If its nice people will buy it.

appledrop wrote: »
    Anything made by Apple.

Anyone I know who owns an apple iphone has a damaged screen. I have dropped my Samsung phones loads over the years + not a scratch on them. It's like Apple purposely make the screen crap so people have to pay a fortune to fix it. The mind boggles why people put up with it.

You... honestly cant think of why someone might choose gorilla glass over plastic?

Frunchy wrote: »

How often will this clueless comment be rolled out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

How often will this clueless comment be rolled out?

Probably the same amount of times that the "every Android phone is a virus riddled mess" clueless content is rolled out.

Both lazy myths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

For most people iPhones and high end Androids are overpriced for what they need it for.

In reality a mid range Android would meet most people's needs but those who initially jumped on the Apple train naturally have a bit of fear about the switch.

I work in IT and used an iPhone for 2 years before switching to Android 8 years ago and sometimes feel like a complete motion trying to navigate my wife's iPhone (and the reverse is true).

My days of buying flagship are well and truly gone, give me adequate performance and a good battery and I am sold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

You can apply this to everything. Anything at all that is bought and sold , not just technology.

Sun screen for example. Factor 30 blocks 97% of UV rays. Factor 50 blocks 98% and has higher levels of skin damaging chemicals. Bigger seller even though it is more expensive and arguably worse for you? You guessed it. The F50.

Wine. Discernible differences between 30 euro bottle and 100 euro bottle? Maybe for some people, but not most of us.

Food. Restaurants offering wildly different price points. Fashionable food trends like chia seeds etc.

Clothes. Art.

The address where you live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Anything computer related. Anything with alien ware on it, same for razr. Nvidia

pwurple wrote: »
    You can apply this to everything. Anything at all that is bought and sold , not just technology.

Sun screen for example. Factor 30 blocks 97% of UV rays. Factor 50 blocks 98% and has higher levels of skin damaging chemicals. Bigger seller even though it is more expensive and arguably worse for you? You guessed it. The F50.

Wine. Discernible differences between 30 euro bottle and 100 euro bottle? Maybe for some people, but not most of us.

Food. Restaurants offering wildly different price points. Fashionable food trends like chia seeds etc.

Clothes. Art.

The address where you live.

This seems to be a trend on afterhours. People complaining about prpducts/things that dont cater to them. Perhaps this is a reflection of the demographic of afterhours.

To them; why someone might prefer an iPhone to an android or vice versa seems fantastical.

Self centeredness, selfishness or perhaps deep seated insecurity and the need to assert superiority despite glaring mediocrity or because of it?

To them; why someone might prefer an iPhone to an android or vice versa seems fantastical

These days it baffles me, anything one can do the other can as well. From a functionality point of view there is no difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

naughtb4 wrote: »
    These days it baffles me, anything one can do the other can as well. From a functionality point of view there is no difference

Exactly. It comes down to personal preference of the small few differences. The way some people treat the brands as if they're sports teams is laughable.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Exactly. It comes down to personal preference of the small few differences. The way some people treat the brands as if they're sports teams is laughable.

There's also the investment people have made in an ecosystem. If I have spent 100 euro on apps from play store, I lose all that if I move the apple and vice versa

But 100% agree

This seems to be a trend on afterhours. People complaining about prpducts/things that dont cater to them. Perhaps this is a reflection of the demographic of afterhours.

To them; why someone might prefer an iPhone to an android or vice versa seems fantastical.

Self centeredness, selfishness or perhaps deep seated insecurity and the need to assert superiority despite glaring mediocrity or because of it?

Quite the leap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Shame the thread has turned into a iOS vs Android mud slinging debate as there’s a good thread to be had here.

Some very ignorant and outdated views being peddled about both platforms.

I’ve used both and enjoyed both and have no real prefernce despite having plenty of other Apple products in the home.
    I had a OnePlus 3T for a few months and I loved it. Probably one of my favorite phones to use. I’m back to iPhone now(work phone) and the switch between was pretty seamless both times.
    I have an Apple “eco system” in the house for the most part(although have a couple of Google Homes as well) and in no way feel obliged to buy an iPhone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

adox wrote: »
    Shame the thread has turned into a iOS vs Android mud slinging debate as there’s a good thread to be had here.

Some very ignorant and outdated views being peddled about both platforms.

Yes, it feels like going back in time about 10 years reading a lot of this thread.

Advertisement