Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to get me a cargo bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,742 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Def worth the wait, with the motor the hills are a breeze now. little lad loves spins in it.

While it is large it does handle very well generally, although the turning circle on it is fairly big so can be a little tricky at times. But I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. It really is a car replacement though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I test rode a Carqon a few weeks ago which is huge - I made the mistake of cycling to and from the shop on a Brompton and the difference in handling took a long time to get used to. He told me to look a few feet in front of the front wheel when turning rather than just reacting as you would do on a normal bike - that helped a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Funny enough, when I went to pick up my Bullitt, I cycled to the shop on a Brompton, and put it in the front to get home again.

I used to find it tricky going back to my flat bar road bike, after riding the cargo for a good while. The steering just reacted too quick for me. But it's something you get used to quickly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

After I rented an R&M for a weekend a couple of years ago, I spent the entire next journey on my hybrid trying to adjust back to riding a normal bike. I nearly fell off several times 😄

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yeah this is the advice DBS gave me, basically look where you want to go.

The large canopy rain cover was on the bakfiets I had tried out so I couldn't see any part of the front of the bike, felt very odd 😅

I've not cycled my one with that cover on it yet, I'm only using the box cover.

The more you cycle it, the more it just becomes like second nature.

I also collected our bakfiets by cycling over on a Brompton and bringing the Brompton back in the box. It's a great combo. If you're meeting people off a train, for example, you can both cycle to where you're going after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭what_traffic

If anybody is interested in a front bike box that attachs to a regular bike, am selling this argocargo

Will be posting it up on adverts.ie over the weekend

Thread on it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ruadh

Hi, can I ask where you test rode the Carqon? I can't find a dealer with a Google search and nothing on their own site about a dealer in Ireland. TIA

• Advertisement

It was in the Netherlands sorry.

Still looking around though. Ideally I'd spend under 5k and the only thing in that range seems to be the Cube. I'm still considering the Carqon, Urban Arrow and a few others. Riese & Müller really look great but once you add rain cover etc you are probably over 8k

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ruadh

Thanks, I was hopeful I was missing something and there was a dealer here. Ah well.

I'm testing the Butcher & Bicycles, Riese & Muller and Urban Arrow at the end of the month with Greenaer. Really looking forward to test driving them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

I presume others get a comments from random passers-by when out and about? I had the two small children in the front when a woman on the footpath engaged me in conversation. She closed with a roar as I was cycling off: "you should cover it in yellow, them cars don't care. The bigger the car the bigger the bastard!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Still waiting on Delivery. Might be 2023 at this stage for the Workcycles FR8 RWD

She's not wrong with her comment in fairness!

Most days I do, people asking about it, surprised how much it can carry. Good few people ask where I got it.

Did the Waterford Greenway in Aug and could hear practically every kid I passed say "wow" or "that looks cool".

I did have a family member comment on how I should be better lit up, so I decided to take that to heart and I picked up some LED strips

Does anyone here have the Cube Cargo Hybrid?

I've been looking around and it looks like the best value (seems to be about 4799 online but I'd definitely be buying one of these from a shop in case of issues)

Also how important is it to go with a hub gear and belt drive as opposed to a derailleur? I have road and gravel bikes so I at least know how to clean and oil a chain

Very early on I had two women carry on a very loud conversation between themselves for my benefit about how unsafe cargo bikes are (I was waiting to cross from a traffic island they were also on; can't remember whether kids were with me). One commuter cyclist years later when I was cycling home, kids not with me, pulled up beside me and said, fairly amicably, in what was maybe a German accent, "I'm sorry, those things aren't safe", and he seemed genuinely surprised when I replied that I didn't ask for his opinion. And one old guy walking his dog in D4 called over to me on the road to say another variation on "those things aren't safe", and I told him to fck off; much more blunt than I normally would be.

Other than those three, very positive interactions, very frequently. Mostly people who are a bit curious, some thinking about getting one. Some questions about safety, but asking my experience rather than giving me a lecture based on their own preconceptions.

I've had a look around some of the main brands trying to compare cost (RRP based on the EU sites of each company, you can possibly find or negotiate discounts elsewhere)

To compare like with like as much as possible, I have gone for belt drive & internal hub gearing, and in all cases I have gone for Bosch Cargo Line motor (I think only the Bullitt doesn't offer this as they use Shimano motors but I've gone for the higher spec motor), and a single 500wh battery. I have added a rain cover and where necessary a double child seat and seat belts. I haven't yet included other add ons I'd probably need like a rack and maxi cosi holder.

Below the prices in case interesting to anyone

• Carqon Cruise 6388
    • Urban Arrow Family 6889
    • Cube Cargo Hybrid 6197
    • Riese & Muller Load 60 7758
    • Riese & Muller Packster 70 8849
    • Bullitt Larry vs Harry 6952

Interested to hear any experiences on these (it would be for a creche run with a baby in the beginning so would need to be something that takes a baby seat). Once you add the basics that most people would need, prices suddenly look more similar (and more expensive!). It's only Riese & Muller that I'd probably leave out for cost reasons

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Juat seen the Cube Cargo hybrid advert and burst into laughter. First I thought it was a "look at all it can do" type ad and then at the last minute he realises what going to the party will lead too so he goes for beers on his own in the park rather than go to the party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra6J2h0IYck

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,140 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Anyone have experience with e-cargo trikes? Herself doesnt drive and cant cycle a regular bicycle so is thinking of a caro trike for ferrying the little fella around.

I've been researching a little and the Butchers & Bicycles MK1-E Gen3 has caught my eye, although the price is eye watering.

I'm a little scared at the the thought of her and the little fella cycling around a town with pretty crap cycle infrastructure (Castlebar) but I am intrigued at the same time and would likely use it myself not to mention it would be good for us both not to have to rely on me to drive them everywhere.

• Advertisement

Opinions will differ on this, but we have a Maxi Cosi car seat and for short journeys we'd wedge the car seat in the cargo bucket. It didn't shift during normal cycling, and I wasn't mixing with fast traffic so felt safe enough. Widened our criteria a lot not looking for a bike with a mount (though you would need to check the load size).

I'm sure some will say it's irresponsible, but for us and the few short journeys we made in built-up areas, it was fine.

I've mentioned elsewhere, I find the edit: trailer gets a lot of space from drivers when out and about on the road. I haven't had a single close pass on it, despite having to get up a steep hill out of the local village - I think most people are aware there are probably kid(s) on board and are patient.

Edit: the cargo bike is fine, but I don't think it's as obvious from behind with a passing glance from behind a windscreen that there are children on board.

Post edited by buffalo on

Although I didn't have a trike I did find people gave me more space when I was pulling a trailer when compared to my two wheeled cargobike, makes things much more obvious and you have no choice but to take the lane with a trailer more so then a two wheeler.

You've made me realise that I mixed up the cargo bike and the trailer! Trailer gets lots of space, cargo bike is more 'normal'.

I use a maxi cosi in a Buillit, but I adapted it to take the seat, so it was secured well at a number of points. I've got the canopy as well.

I've had nothing but positive comments from people about it. To be honest, I can't see how it's less safe than a kid on the back of a bike. But maybe the same people would complain about that as well.

Yeah, to be fair, I've had three irritating interactions in over 40000km of travel on the cargo bike, so it's negligible really.

Im dealing with a very sceptical wife who will be doing an inspection before we are allowed out on the road - so planning on something out of the box to try to convince her. She's probably the one who was making the comments above about them being unsafe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

Doesn’t the urban arrow have an optional extra adapter for a maxi cosi?

• Advertisement

It does - as does the Carqon. Not sure about any of the others, I'd imagine the Riese & Müller might have something too

Advertisement