Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to get me a cargo bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Delivery date is today. Going to be just shy of 16 months start to finish. Problem with the German e-motor added about 9 month delay. Hopefully worth waiting for, have the regular Workcycles FR8 past 3 1/2 years and it is a brilliant bike so am hopeful it will be just as good

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Coming from DBS?

If so you are awful lucky with the closure!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Yes, sad to see. They started the revolution but once the big dealers started eating there cake I say it was hard to compete. The closure really only added a few weeks delay in the end, am dealing with Workcycles direct since mid August

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

On the off-chance someone has one of these:

Babboe recalled around 3,500 City model bikes made in two batches between 2010 and 2018 after safety tests revealed hairline cracks that could cause the frame to break during “intensive use”.

I have a Babboe (not a City model), makes me sliiiightly nervous.

https://www.dutchnews.nl/2024/02/cargo-bike-babboe-ordered-to-halt-all-sales-over-safety-fears/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

• Advertisement

I was reading that last night - the list of models is much more extensive than originally reported. Includes my own, so I'm waiting and seeing what the batch details are. 😬

The models of bicycles involved are Babboe City/ City-E/ City Mountain, Babboe Curve/ Curve-E/ Curve Mountain, Babboe Big/Big-E, Babboe Dog/ Dog-E, Babboe Max-E, Babboe Mini-E/Mini Mountain, Babboe Pro Trike/ Trike-E/ Trike XL, and the Babboe Carve-E/ Carve Mountain.

Reading Dutch news through Google translate is fun:

Baking bicycles from the Dutch manufacturer Babboe break regularly. With risks for the fathers, mothers and children in prison. 

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Glad I took DBS advise now and went with Bakfiets over Babboe, though mind you the recommendation was based on the quality of the motor and parts rather then the frame snapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Should there be a sticky on the Babboe recall for a while, mods?

• Advertisement

TCD are looking for e-cargo bike owners for a study, funded by SEAI - could be a gateway to better policies, e.g.

• Expected Project Benefits:
      • This mixed-methods e-cargo bike study could provide comprehensive insights into the intersectoral policies needed to expand the substitution of private car journeys – and potentially private car ownership – with e-cargo bikes. In particular, it will be well-positioned to inform:
      • • grants and incentive policies for e-cargo bike purchase (and relatedly, grants/incentive schemes for electric car purchase – which could be seen in relation to e-cargo bikes);
      • • training programmes for confident e-cargo bike use;
      • • e-cargo bike-friendly mobility and parking infrastructure in public and private spaces;
      • • social marketing for e-cargo bikes (with a contextual attention to social marketing for electric cars);
      • • land-use planning of destinations that may involve the collection and carriage of cargo (e.g., food and hardware shops) from the perspective of e-cargo bike accessibility relative to the car – and, relatedly, the localisation of everyday mobility practices/destinations.

Private E-Cargo Bikes & Everyday Mobility in Ireland

SEEKING INTERVIEW PARTICIPANTS FOR PRIVATE E-CARGO BIKE STUDY

The TCD Centre for Transport Research in partnership with the SEAI Behavioural Economics Unit are conducting research to explore how e-cargo bikes are used and experienced across Ireland by people who own or have private access to an e-cargo bike within their household.

This research is being carried out to help inform policies and programmes that can help to advance more sustainable mobility across Ireland.

We are looking for individuals who either own or have access to a private e-cargo cycle in their household to participate in this study.

Participation would involve taking part in a semi-structured qualitative interview lasting up to one hour. This interview would take place either in-person or online through Zoom, depending on your preference. In advance of the interview, participants will be asked to complete a short pre-interview questionnaire to gather basic information.

Any individuals interested will be provided with a plain language statement with more information on the project, along with an informed consent form.

Participation is entirely voluntary, and participants can withdraw from the study at any time without providing a reason.

If you are interested in participating or would like more information, please email the Principal Investigator, Dr. Robert Egan (eganr5@tcd.ie).

(From pdf at https://www.tcd.ie/transport-research/assets/pdfs/Recruitment%20Advertisement.pdf)

I guess I can't contribute, because I have a plain old-fashioned cargo bike, with no electric assist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Dont get a cargo bike. Nothing more annoying than cargo bikes clogging up the cycle lanes. The SUV of bikes.

I find actual SUVs clogging up the cycle lanes more annoying. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

No more than there should be about Shimano cranks

See that far less than cargo bikes these days to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Not in my experience to be perfectly honest. Only at the weekend and I was heading down to Nutgrove from Marlay Park area and the cycle lane (and footpath) beside the football pitches was clogged with about 20 - 30 cars just parked up for convenience. A regular occurrence whenever there's training or matches there. Renders the cycle lane unusable. Its the same (but to lesser extent) all around the city/ suburbs.

Not sure what clogging up cycle lanes means either in that context? I mean, cycle lanes are narrow so by definition if you come up behind a slower cyclist, it's 'clogged up'. You just overtake in the usual manner... no big deal. I've genuinely never had cause to curse a cargo bike on my commutes.

100% above,

Claiming cargo bikes clog up cycle lanes is no different to motorists complaining about bikes taking over the road.

Just overtake when its safe to do so, easy.

Isnt it amazing that any complaint about anything cycling related has people just ignore the issue and go straight to the cars are bad, so everything cycling is good mantra. Cargo bikes are a scourge. Theres one woman in Rathmines with 2 kids in hers that i have to leave the cycling lane to go around at almost the same place every morning. You would see often her randomly stopped in the cycle lane dealing with some issue the kids have that morning. The other day she had the bike sticking out into the road when she was stopped at a red light. Kids all layed out to get squashed by a car coming by with the driver picking their nose or doing their makeup and not looking.

Yes if anything happened its the drivers fault for not concentrating, but its also her fault for not anticipating threats to her children and putting them in harms way. It should be illegal to put children in a cargo bike.

You must really get awful upset when you meet other cars, HGV's, tractors etc on the road when driving and they are infront of you.

How dare the parent stop to care for her kids, what a monster she is!!!!!!

😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

You don't have to leave the cycle lane, you can just stay behind her.

You're choosing to leave the lane and overtake.

Yeah I guess the 20 people who pile up behind her can all do that. Random stopping and wobbling. And its not even that that gets my back up. Its people putting their kids in them. Jesus, I wish people had some concept of danger when it comes to leaving their kids out exposed to danger like that.

There we go again. Get the cars out of your head. Think about the issue here. It effects all other cyclists behind. To be fair shes not the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

cyclists are a scourge. Theres one woman in Rathmines that i have to leave the driving lane to go around at almost the same place every morning. You would see often her randomly stopped on the road dealing with something. The other day she had the bike sticking out into the road when she was stopped at a red light. Waiting to get squashed by a car coming by with the driver picking their nose or doing their makeup and not looking.

Yes if anything happened its the drivers fault for not concentrating, but its also her fault for not anticipating threats and putting herself in harms way. It should be illegal to cycle on the roads.

------

Yeah I guess the 20 people who pile up behind cyclists can all do that. Cyclists random stopping and wobbling. And its not even that that gets my back up. Its cyclists on the road. Jesus, I wish people had some concept of danger when it comes to cycling leaving themselves exposed to danger.

------

I have to ask, do you phone Joe Duffy or Newstalk?

You sound like an old crank, you'd fit right in on the shows. 😂

I'd have no problem cycling behind a cargobike, but then I'm not an impatient cyclists who thinks I'm more important the others.

Well you better get used to it then because there are more coming. Would you buy one and put your kids in it on the roads? Personally I think anyone with kids in a cargo bike should be prosecuted.

Talking to other cyclists is like talking to a wall so this will be my last comment on it.

Indeed there are more coming, its great.

To answer your question, yes I would buy one and bring kids in it. Infact I do this daily when bringing little lad to creche. It's great, I can easily beat cars to the destination and he loves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Paddigol

What a bizarre rant, based on zero research or evidence other than "personally I think". Thankfully seems to be very much a minority view.

Personally I think anyone who can't share public space in a civil and safe manner should be prosecuted.

• Advertisement

I have one and take my kids "on the roads" daily. Explain to me why I should be prosecuted for that, compared to when I make the journey on foot and have to cross a busy road with two occasionally-unpredictable pre-school children?

Advertisement