Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle Lane on Talbot Memorial Bridge

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

Reductio ad absurdum

Bikes are more efficient within a city which is where this bridge is located, removing lanes from cars and converting to bikes both increases the number of bikes and decreases the number of vehicles making the road much more efficient.

Now, who is going to Cork and why are you bringing it up?

Seems to be more cars than ever travelling, in addition to more cyclists.
    Where does the cycling lobby get these figures that more cyclists = less cars from.

I bus or walk into town, so this stupid arrangement has affected me - takes ten minutes some mornings to go from 5 Lamps to Talbot Street on the bus, with 50 to 60 passengers.s
    So if its to facilitate a few cyclists, then it is another stupid arrangement.
    Id say they will be back to reconsider it in early September

• Registered Users Posts: 25 kyler_87

Where does the cycling lobby get these figures that more cyclists = less cars from.

I bus or walk into town, so this stupid arrangement has affected me - takes ten minutes some mornings to go from 5 Lamps to Talbot Street on the bus, with 50 to 60 passengers.s

Fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

At a guess I would say that most of the folk that cycle instead of taking the car are aware that it they were not cycling they would be taking the car :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

let me google that for you

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Canal_Cordon_Report_2018.pdf

The modal shift phenomenon is a little more complecated but there's plenty of online material on the subject. It's now pretty much well established that providing better facilities geared towards a particular type of road user will attract that type of road user.
    So then your argument is in favour of more bus lanes, not less cycling lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Scores of cyclists manage to get to the front of the queue at the bottom of lower Rathmines Road every morning, despite there being no inbound cycle lane whatsoever.

That is all people need to know in terms of efficiency of road use. You are moving more people per square foot (and doing 1/10,000 of damage to the road surface) on bicycles.

On the other hand, masses of real estate is given over to cars. Yet the place is at a standstill morning and evening.

But once you try and make the efficient use safer and more attractive to people wary of running the gauntlet with our famously friendly drivers, by rea-appropriating space from general traffic, it's somehow the cyclist's and not the motorist's fault for the ensuing congestion on the Talbot Memorial Bridge!!

If they ever deliver the Liffey Cycle Route, there will be enormous pressure on this new lane. Dismissing it in September when it is not a part of any network of note is stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭tjhook

I know I'm going to sound like a stoner from the 60s, but people are focusing their frustrations in the wrong place.

Right now Dublin is a horrible place for anybody to commute. Neither cyclists nor drivers are having a pleasant time of it. Cyclists are "sharing" their space with increasing numbers of busses, taxis and ordinary cars. Drivers are already stuck in traffic jams, seeing the road space available to them being reduced almost daily, and being patronised as "the problem".

I think the real issues are:
    - The constant push to add more employers within the M50, while the vast majority of new homes being provided are outside the M50.
    - The complete lack of initiative regarding the provision of public transport.

The locations where I live and work make public transport an easy option. As a result, I use it.
    In my previous employment, the locations of my home and office did not make public transport easy, so I drove.

When additional capacity is made available on public transport, it is quickly fills, up to the point where additional people boarding would be uncomfortable.

With better public transport, more people would use it. I.e. more space for all road users.

If employers could think beyond the M50, there would be less need for people to be trudging into and out of the city each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Speaking of push, I see to pedestrians on the corner of Pearse street got shafted by the new cycle lane, super busy pedestrian island reduced to a sliver with a cycle lane going through it, class stuff.

The recent admission that the government is heavily reliant on private cars for revenue has a made a mockery of the whole public transport strategy anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Bambi wrote: »
    The recent admission that the government is heavily reliant on private cars for revenue
    recent? it's always been transparent that they're heavily dependent on that revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Speaking of push, I see to pedestrians on the corner of Pearse street got shafted by the new cycle lane, super busy pedestrian island reduced to a sliver with a cycle lane going through it, class stuff.

Thank you for highlighting this. This proves that there is no space for car traffic there. They should close the left turn there plus the one on the North Quays and let every car use the North Circular Road to cross the Liffey on the Becket Bridge. This way there is space for bicycles an pedestrians on the corner you mention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the lights will be resequenced to allow for the new cycle lane. I can't remember - can peds cross Westland Row in one sequence currently or do they have to wait on the island? Hopefully the new lights will also allow for pedestrians crossing Pearse St from the Trinity corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I have to cycle home via Tara st and it must be one of the worst roads in Ireland for cyclists. 4 lanes of motor traffic with tiny pavements for pedestrians and not an inch of space for bikes. You have to claim a lane to go straight over the bridge, much to the ire of motorists who often beep at me for doing this.
    On top of this they make pedestrians wait for absolutely ages to cross the road where it meets the quays. Right at a dart station. So the corner gets packed with people spilling out on to the street and some running for their lives across the road.
    It’s a perfect example of how pedestrians and cyclists aren’t given any thought on our streets. Horrible setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,926 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I have to cycle home via Tara st and it must be one of the worst roads in Ireland for cyclists. 4 lanes of motor traffic with tiny pavements for pedestrians and not an inch of space for bikes. You have to claim a lane to go straight over the bridge, much to the ire of motorists who often beep at me for doing this.
    On top of this they make pedestrians wait for absolutely ages to cross the road where it meets the quays. Right at a dart station. So the corner gets packed with people spilling out on to the street and some running for their lives across the road.
    It’s a perfect example of how pedestrians and cyclists aren’t given any thought on our streets. Horrible setup.

Yeah that junction is "fun". Made even more fun by all the queue jumpers trying to turn left, in some cases trying to make the left turn from the rightmost lane.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Its like a section of the M50 running through the city ffs. Reallu needs a bike lane and there's plenty of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I note that some buses are now going down Tara street, crossing the bridge, turning left onto the north quays, then turning left again onto Rosie hacket and then right onto the quays because that left turn is too congested by cars turning left into the bus lane. Nobody seems to want to curb motorists in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I cycled for a while, in and around town it's great.
    However if you're cycling in from somewhere like swords or malahide, well that's more of realm of a dedicated cyclist (IE the kind of person who goes out on Sunday morning and hammers out 100km :D ). And that kind out cycling isn't for everyone, it's not for most people in fact

I regularly cycled from Malahide into town, it's not that hard at all. I've never cycled recreationally in my life. If people actually tried it they'd surprise themselves.
    I have to cycle home via Tara st and it must be one of the worst roads in Ireland for cyclists

I've had a few commutes where this would ostensibly be my fastest option but I'm just not doing it on a bike. It's totally unsafe. The amount of people who get in the wrong lane there and end up crossing 2 or 3 lanes is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

I regularly cycled from Malahide into town, it's not that hard at all. I've never cycled recreationally in my life. If people actually tried it they'd surprise themselves.

I've had a few commutes where this would ostensibly be my fastest option but I'm just not doing it on a bike. It's totally unsafe. The amount of people who get in the wrong lane there and end up crossing 2 or 3 lanes is crazy.

The problem is very few people can be bothered with complying with legislation,ie using the ffffffing road properly.

Try walking around the city or Suburbs
    .The number of people who can correctly exit private property or side roads is in single figures(as in drivers and not percentage).

The authorities have zero interest in enforcement of anything regarding rules or proper behaviour.
    You just be ultra careful.

Advertisement