Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shopping in the north, worth your while?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Stheno wrote: »
    I head up about every two months to buy dogfood, spend 30e on petrol there and back, and get eight bags of food.

Cost there 16.99 (approx 20e) per bag, cost here 40 e per bag.

So 160e +30e =190 as opposed to 320e, and yes I do stop and tootle into sainsburys for cheap paracetamol/ibuprofen(about 1e or less for twelve) and toiletries.I'd not do it but for the dog food but whilst I'm there I take advantage ot it.

You should go to Boots for these, paracetamol 16p a packet, ibuprofen 37p for a packet.
    They contain 12 or 15 or something, great value anyway, best I have seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

flash1080 wrote: »
    Bought a tin of Roses for €4.50 here before Christmas, was £5 (€5.97, 33% more expensive) in the UK!

Some products are cheaper in the south, although in general items can be sourced at better prices in the north/UK.

It's understandable that prices are cheaper in the UK as min wage is lower, rents are lower, customs and excise duties are also significantly lower. Most probably utility and local authority charges are also lower, but as these vary it's not easy to compare.

As another poster commented, people will invariably purchase where they can find the best value, be that online, up north or wherever. What I was pointing out earlier is that northerners have been contributing significant revenues (I don't think the recent trend of southerners shopping north would be remotely comparable to the vast revenues spent on fuel) to the irish economy over the past 20 yrs, particularly through fuel duties and I haven't heard too many retailers or ministers complain about the drain on the UK exchequer.

With the increased awareness on pricing differences, retailers in the south have had to get their act together and cut prices, there was a lot of fat there and not so much any more. What was particularly galling was when retailers with outlets on both sides of the border were charging prices based on long out of date exchange rates meaning that prices could be 50% odd more in the south than up north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    You should go to Boots for these, paracetamol 16p a packet, ibuprofen 37p for a packet.
    They contain 12 or 15 or something, great value anyway, best I have seen.

Yes, the 6 counties are significantly cheaper for paracetamol and other medicines.

Although you're restricted to 2 packets per purchase, you can actually return in to the store and purchase another 2 packets, leave store then return, etc. I bought 10 packets of paracetamol during my recent trip to Asda Enniskillen.

I haven't bought Paracetamol down here in a LONG time now!

Too many greedy pharmacists and retailers in the Republic. They need to lower their prices otherwise face the consequences like in 2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Skopzz wrote: »
    I haven't bought Paracetamol down here in a LONG time now!

Too many greedy pharmacists and retailers in the Republic. They need to lower their prices otherwise face the consequences like in 2009.

More negative Bullsh1t from skopzz.

You know well that all medicine prices are CONTROLLED in Ireland as are medicines.

With the new price structure that has come in over the past couple fo years there are very few differences EXCEPT when generic medicines are taken into account. Unfortunately the IMB (Irish medicines board) has not licenced or has not been asked to licence generic paracetemol, hence its not avaialble here.

when you compare exact like for like products such as Panadol, or Solpadeine or Nurofen, the difference in price between north & south is miniscule or non existent. FACT - But sure why would you let verifiable fact get in the way of your inane negativity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

maxer68 wrote: »
    when you compare exact like for like products such as Panadol, or Solpadeine or Nurofen, the difference in price between north & south is miniscule or non existent. FACT - But sure why would you let verifiable fact get in the way of your inane negativity?

As someone who uses a lot of Nurofen I wish that were true. 16 Nurofen in ASDA is £1.90. How much here? North of a fiver I reckon. it's been that long since I bought ibuprofen here I couldn't be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

More negative Bullsh1t from skopzz.

You know well that all medicine prices are CONTROLLED in Ireland as are medicines.

With the new price structure that has come in over the past couple fo years there are very few differences EXCEPT when generic medicines are taken into account. Unfortunately the IMB (Irish medicines board) has not licenced or has not been asked to licence generic paracetemol, hence its not avaialble here.

We all know that Skopzz has been told this before again on other threads. He is just trolling at this stage. He knows full well that generic paracetamol etc is prohibited in Irish retailers/pharmacists but he has to get his little digs in wherever he can.

I agree it isn't fair that we can't go buy generic own brand drugs in Southern Ireland (don't argue Skopzz, you've already had a thread closed for arguing off topic about this:D) but I know that it isn't down to the retailers and the reasoning lies with the IMB. Not that facts have anything to do with the sensationalist posting that Skopzz comes out with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

stimpson wrote: »
    As someone who uses a lot of Nurofen I wish that were true. 16 Nurofen in ASDA is £1.90. How much here? North of a fiver I reckon. it's been that long since I bought ibuprofen here I couldn't be sure.

so many different versions, its hard to compare like with like.

Nurofen in the south is in packs fo 12 or 24.

Nurofen Express is the ony item I can see online prices for in both areas and price is slightly more expensive in North based on per tablet price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

so many different versions, its hard to compare like with like.

Nurofen in the south is in packs fo 12 or 24.

Nurofen Express is the ony item I can see online prices for in both areas and price is slightly more expensive in North based on per tablet price.

Just checked in a Chemist. 3.95 for 12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

We all know that Skopzz has been told this before again on other threads. He is just trolling at this stage. He knows full well that generic paracetamol etc is prohibited in Irish retailers/pharmacists but he has to get his little digs in wherever he can.
    Is that correct? I bought what I thought was generic ibuprofen in a pharmacy in Nutgrove in Dublin last year, I specifically asked for the generic version (200mg tablets if I mind right). I think it cost about €5 for 40 tablets? I'll have a look and see if I can find the container and maybe have a wee look in Boots tomorrow.

Checked in Boots today, they sell their own brand ibuprofen at €3.49 for 24. Nurofen are €5.49 odd for 24.

(I'm not sure if the number was 24, but I'm guessing it had to be 24, not 12, I know the pharmacist mentioned the 2 euro saving by buying boots own brand, so the number was the same for both).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

anyone know what rate sainsburys in newry is offering for the euro this week? and asda in eniskillen? heading up there this week. thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

If you use your credit card you usually get the best price on the day

Advertisement