Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"RTE News is biased"

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

weiss wrote: »
    You see, you couldn't give me an honest answer...priceless.

I believe his opinions have credibility because he worked at RTE for 17 years!!

Now, please answer honestly.

Do you believe George Lee and his opinions have credibility?

It's very simple yes or no answer, King Mob :D

You are the one who said his opinions have no credibility
    George Lee and his opinions have no credibility.

Those are your words not mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭weiss

LOL :D

So his opinion does have credibility? or it doesn't? which is it? ...oh dear.

I like how you only selected part of my previous sentence, for anyone else reading, that was sarcastic comment..although i'm sure most people could see that.

So his opinion does have credibility? or they don't? which is it? ...oh dear.

The point I was trying to illustrate is that you can take quotes out of context.

Without knowing the context in which George Lee was speaking or what exactly he was referring to you cannot take that one line as his true opinion.
    I like how you only selected part of my previous sentence, for anyone else reading, that was sarcastic comment..although i'm sure most people could see that.
    Yes I was taking it out of context to infer a different meaning.
    Just like you are doing for George Lee's quote.

So I do believe that George Lee's opinions are credible but because that quote is taken out of context it is not his actual opinion.

And even then his opinion does not equal proof.

King Mob wrote:
    So I do believe that George Lee's opinions are credible but because that quote is taken out of context it is not his actual opinion.

And even then his opinion does not equal proof.

You can't prove RTE aren't biased, so why are you arguing about any of this at all?

You can't prove RTE aren't biased, so why are you arguing about any of this at all?
    You can't prove a negative.
    Try proving unicorns don't exist.

You're making or supporting the claim that RTE is biased you should be able to back it up with solid evidence.
    It's called the burden of proof.

So far the only things that have been provided to back it up are two out of context quotes and a misunderstanding of RTE's role.
    Not exactly proof they are biased is it?

• Advertisement

Initially, I was merely admiring how you skipped over the post about George Lee.

You stated his opinions have credibility, that's all I have to comment.

Initially, I was merely admiring how you skipped over the post about George Lee.

You stated his opinions have credibility, that's all I have to comment.

I also said that the quote was out of context and that I don't believe that is his true or full opinion.

But funnily you seemed to have skipped over that and taken my words out of context.

Conversation between Gerald Barry and George Lee, 5th April 2009

GB: "George Lee, how did we manage to move from crisis to catastrophe"?

GL: "Well, it's a difficult question to, or, emm, a difficult question to answer and, er, remain still employed in RTE but I can tell you it was bad economic management"

GL: "Well, it's a difficult question to, or, emm, a difficult question to answer and, er, remain still employed in RTE but I can tell you it was bad economic management"

Still out of context.
    No matter how many times you repeat it.

He's suggesting it's not possible to give an honest opinion without risk of losing his job at RTE.

Crystal clear for me.

• Advertisement

He's suggesting it's not possible to give an honest opinion without risk of losing his job at RTE.

Crystal clear for me.

Just like it was crystal clear that you said:
    George Lee and his opinions have no credibility.

It's a bit weird that he'd lose his job for giving an an honest opinion but wouldn't lose his job for letting that slip.

And to be honest "bad economic management" sounds like an honest and straight forward answer to me.

But hey if this was his actual opinion I'm sure you can more quotes from him that say the same thing.

Just like if RTE was actually biased you'd be able to provide some actual evidence and not just out of context quotes.

My god, King Mob, this is pathetic.

The full quote is:
    weiss wrote:
    Ya, George Lee and his opinions have no credibility.

This was a sarcastic response and that's the last time i'm explaining to you.

It is quite clear to anyone capable of cognitive thought that he's suggesting it's not possible to give an honest opinion without risk of losing his job at RTE.

End of argument.

Here's a far out and wacky scenario.

George Lee is a TD for Fine Geal. So not a stretch to imagine he supported FG at he time of the interview.
    Now it's not a vast leap of logic to imagine that he believes that Fianna Fail are to blame to the economic crisis in Ireland.
    Now if he was to let loose his pure unfiltered opinion rather than just the plain facts, it could be seen as undue bias from someone with such a senior position in RTE.

Because he is to remain neutral in reporting, any sign of any bias could lead to him losing his job.

Thus he answers: "Well, it's a difficult question to, or, emm, a difficult question to answer and, er, remain still employed in RTE but I can tell you it was bad economic management"

Which to me is a fair and unbiased answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

its not really the end of the argument though, unless youre satisfied to lose the argument

The argument was about King Mob skipping over the post about George Lee, not the whole thread.
    But i've explained this already...pretty obvious to anyone who has read my posts.

Good night

My god, King Mob, this is pathetic.

The full quote is:
    This was a sarcastic response and that's the last time i'm explaining to you.
    No ****.
    I've said that.
    I am taking your quote out of context to illustrate the point that that's exactly what you are doing to Lee's quote.

Maybe you should actually read my posts.

It is quite clear to anyone capable of cognitive thought that he's suggesting it's not possible to give an honest opinion without risk of losing his job at RTE.

End of argument.
    No it's not.
    See above.

The quote is taken out of context.

And even if it wasn't and that was exactly what he meant it's still not proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Lads maybe if you cut out the bullsh*t sarcasm and actually said what you all wanted too like adults you might get somewhere?

Advertisement