Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"RTE News is biased"

Options
  • 12-09-2009 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

I was watching the 9 O Clock news on RTE tonight at 9 20 and heard the figures of the " RED Poll" which the presenter said represented a total of 2 to 1 , sorry my arithmetic must be bad as I cant see how 53% versus 33% is two to one and if the undecided were taken into account then it would be nearer 50-50 can someone please enlighten me??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭mega man

the polls on rte news are always fixed. a pack of lies they do be tellen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭weiss

this is not news :D I mean RTE being biased

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055680077

You sure you got your numbers right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭AMIIAM

mega man The RTE news is a joke! Always has been. Always will be. Controlled from Leinster house., and the White House. ( If you want our American Dollars, you have always to be nice to us)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

It's biased but not in this case. Take away the undecideds and the yes side has a sizeable advantage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

This is why they will not report world news. Can you imagine if the rest of the world find out how bias they are? They'd be laughed off the face of the earth!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

squod wrote: »
    This is why they will not report world news. Can you imagine if the rest of the world find out how bias they are? They'd be laughed off the face of the earth!
    Why would you listen to a news source funded by YOUR TV LICENCE?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Here's me thinking they didn't focus on world news because they are a national news agency.

King Mob wrote: »
    Here's me thinking they didn't focus on world news because they are a national news agency.

See, aren't you glad I enlightened you. World news just doesn't affect people in Dublin.

See, aren't you glad I enlightened you. World news just doesn't affect people in Dublin.

Yea and it's not like we get BBC or Sky News.
    Or if you have digital you get Fox and CNN.
    Or the Internet.

Not like RTE is just dealing with national news cause that's it's job or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captain Furball

Isn't Dublin a different country????
    I've been there and i liked it:D

Yea and it's not like we get BBC or Sky News.
    Or if you have digital you get Fox and CNN.
    Or the Internet.

Not like RTE is just dealing with national news cause that's it's job or anything.

I often see news stories from around the globe on RTE. It's highly amusing the ones they pick to put on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭c0mpliant

Those high numbers (Yes 70ish No 20ish) are only for people who have said "strongly" either way, and the best way to spin the poll for the Yes camp is to take it that way.

RTE are biased, they have their agenda like everyone else. If you don't think any news source is unbiased, wake up and smell the influence. One way or another, every news source is biased, all it is a question of how biased and your ability to cut through the bull

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

Ive had some good responses to this thread and I'm glad to report that there are some fairly intuative people out there still, good to hear from you all and dont believe anything you hear on the news!!

I often see news stories from around the globe on RTE. It's highly amusing the ones they pick to put on there.

Hang on.
    A few posts ago you said:
    This is why they will not report world news.

So which is it?

What I find amusing is that for such a biased news agency the only example you guys have provided is a out of context and throw away quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭constance tench

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

probably second only to FOX news in the Biased news stakes in the civilised western world

Hang on.
    A few posts ago you said:

So which is it?

What I find amusing is that for such a biased news agency the only example you guys have provided is a out of context and throw away quote.

So then if I take the last world news story I remember on RTE it was Australian bush fires at the end of August. Another world news story on the day was UN reported mistratment of Tamil refugees by Sri Lankans' or the millions of Nepalese people facing crop shortages and hunger.

You can't just expect to report one story, on a bleedin' around the bleedin' world news bleedin' round-up?

RTE get an 'F' for effort and an 'A' in p1ssing me off.

So then if I take the last world news story I remember on RTE it was Australian bush fires at the end of August. Another world news story on the day was UN reported mistratment of Tamil refugees by Sri Lankans' or the millions of Nepalese people facing crop shortages and hunger.

You can't just expect to report one story, on a bleedin' around the bleedin' world news bleedin' round-up?

RTE get an 'F' for effort and an 'A' in p1ssing me off.
    So which is it?
    Do they or do they not report on foreign affairs like you originally claimed?

Why is it so weird that an Irish news agency focuses on Irish news?

They don't. What's strange is the arrangement the news is given in. An unreliable format. Partly telling the news is not news reporting IMO. As I said it's as if Dublin is unaffected by world news.

• Advertisement

They don't. What's strange is the arrangement the news is given in. An unreliable format. Partly telling the news is not news reporting IMO. As I said it's as if Dublin is unaffected by world news.

Again they're an Irish news agency, their job is to focus on Irish news.

They mention world events and give the bare facts but don't focus on them.
    What's the big deal?

There are other more capable news agencies that do cover world events.

Frankly I think you're grasping at straws to make RTE seem bad because you have nothing to support your claims of bias.

i like how you skipped over the George Lee post there, King Mob.

Rather predictable, but of course it's "just an opinion" and couldn't possibly be fact...oh no.

weiss wrote: »
    i like how you skipped over the George Lee post there, King Mob.

Rather predictable, but of course it's "just an opinion" and couldn't possibly be fact...oh no.

You guys certainly put a lot of weight on to single off handed and out of context quotes.

And as a matter of fact it would be an opinion, not fact.

Can you back up the claim the RTE is biased or are we going to stick with shots at me?

King Mob wrote:
    You guys certainly put a lot of weight on to single off handed and out of context quotes.

And as a matter of fact it would be an opinion, not fact.

Can you back up the claim the RTE is biased or are we going to stick with shots at me?

First of all, it's just my lonesome self here.

George Lee was an economics editor for 17 years at RTE

King Mob ...well, you got your answer.

First of all, it's just my lonesome self here.

George Lee was an economics editor for 17 years at RTE

King Mob ...well, you got your answer.

No I got two throw away out of context quotes.

That's hardly proof of anything.

Ya, George Lee and his opinions have no credibility.

So what if he worked with RTE for 17 years, ah sure...to be sure.

Now you have 3 :P

Ya, George Lee and his opinions have no credibility.

Wow George Lee has no credibility?
    Really?

Is that what you're saying?

Please answer that question yourself.

Either you're saying George Lee and his opinions have credibility or they don't.

Which is it for you, King Mob?

Please make an effort to answer honestly.

Please answer that question yourself.

Either you're saying George Lee and his opinions have credibility or they don't.

Which is it for you, King Mob?

Please make an effort to answer honestly.

Well you're the one who said:
    George Lee and his opinions have no credibility.

That must be your opinion then.

• Advertisement

You see, you couldn't give me an honest answer...priceless.

I believe his opinions have credibility because he worked at RTE for 17 years!!

Now, please answer honestly.

Do you believe George Lee and his opinions have credibility?

It's very simple yes or no answer, King Mob :D

Advertisement