Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycle Lanes in Phoenix Park

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Ive always thought the lanes should be swapped. However i think the logic of the cycle lane being on the outside is due to the shade of the trees resulting in icy build up during winter months making it a hazard for cyclists...not to mention wet leaves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I've posted multiple times, swapping the lanes would make no sense and would not be safer for anyone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

no mention of clothing worn by pedestrian, sobriety etc.
    possibly because neither were contributory factors?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I know of the pedestrian involved but cannot discuss why he has not been named.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

AlanG wrote:
    Pretty sure the OPW don't need insurance - like Garda cars the state is the insurance.

Another bill for the taxpayer so yaaah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

learn wrote:
    Some important information from that inquest is he died from head injuries and had given up wearing his helmet, probably because he thought he was safe on traffic free cycle tracks.

A helmet would only save your life in a small percentage of accidents, but almost every accident will result in you being thrown from a bike. When the small perverted is worth it.
    jon1981 wrote:
    I know of the pedestrian involved but cannot discuss why he has not been named.

Why mention it then?

A pedestrian once walked out in front of me on the long straight canal road because the traffic was stopped so he assumed all traffic was stopped and didn't look, while I was in the cycle lane. Nothing I could do to stop flattening him.

He looked sheepishly up at me and I glowered at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Lack of helmet was brought up, with (from what I've read) an absence of evidence that it would've made any difference. Experience would also tell us, what a cyclist is or isn't wearing is mentioned in cases when the cyclist is hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Another bill for the taxpayer so yaaah
    Insurance isn't free, it has a net cost which is the insurer's profit. It is therefore normal for very large organisations to self-insure against small risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Yes quite possibly. That's why I stated I was only going on the media reports. There is scant detail there but we did get the information about Mr Tully wearing Hi-Viz and not wearing a helmet which may or may not have been contributory and is why I thought it odd that there were not detailed for the pedestrian, surely both should be mentioned or neither?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

learn wrote: »
    Some important information from that inquest is he died from head injuries and had given up wearing his helmet, probably because he thought he was safe on traffic free cycle tracks.

Interesting to see that the lack of helmet for the cyclist is mentioned, but not hte lack of hi-vis/lights for the pedestrian - complete lack of evidence for either of course, but that doesn't stop the oul helmet whining - or is it just anti-cyclist whining

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

I use the park as a motorist, cyclist and a pedestrian, as many others do, and can see the frustrations from all sides regarding the layout of Chesterfield Avenue.

The position of the cycle path directly beside the roadside parking area can cause confusion for people who park up and plan on going walking along the Avenue. The confusion is probably compounded by the large railing which runs along the cycle path. It limits the options for people parking up, crossing the cycle path - when safe to do so - and making their way to the footpath, especially those with young children, buggies or disabilities.

More crossing areas beyond the above mentioned railing may help to reduce people on the cycle path. Perhaps some zebra crossings or a crossing point every couple of hundred yards may help people move from their cars to the footpath with ease.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There needs to be greater encouragement to get people out of their cars to get to the park, and maybe some better public transport links to the park.

It should be a nice little break from the urban sprawl beside it, but if there is any event on, the park is just an awful place to be because everyone there decides to get there by car

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've mentioned before that they really should allow the bike hire place to set up stall in the papal cross car park. i guess there's a certain cohort who don't have easy public transport access to the park, but don't know about the bike hire place, and wouldn't see it or park near it. would be good for it to get greater visibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Interesting to see that the lack of helmet for the cyclist is mentioned, but not hte lack of hi-vis/lights for the pedestrian - complete lack of evidence for either of course, but that doesn't stop the oul helmet whining - or is it just anti-cyclist whining
    I also thought it was telling that, given the circumstances that resulted in the inquest, that the gardai's primary concern regarding the layout in the park was for pedestrians/ people exiting cars, rather than for cyclists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Never use the cycle lanes in the park, too many people walking on them which I don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

There were four traffic / speed counters on the inbound cycle lane along chesterfield avenue this morning. Each box had two cables which usually means they are counting and getting speed unless it is a different to the method used for traffic surveys on roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

AlanG wrote: »
    There were four traffic / speed counters on the inbound cycle lane along chesterfield avenue this morning. Each box had two cables which usually means they are counting and getting speed unless it is a different to the method used for traffic surveys on roads.

They were on both cycle lanes.

My fear is they are getting a report together to justify the switch of the pedestrian and cycle paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

It's a pity they couldn't just remove parking on chesterfield avenue (at least on one side) and make that cycling space. They should also drop the speed limit to 30kmph.

Their counters are going to get very low numbers by Parkgate since very few use the cycle paths there due to them being in terrible condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

They were on both cycle lanes.

My fear is they are getting a report together to justify the switch of the pedestrian and cycle paths.

That's my fear too, maybe time for anyone that uses those lanes on their commute to email in their concerns / wishes? You never know, they might actually listen! I'd have no real objection to using the inside path as long as they light it properly and resurface it although both of those are unlikely...

axer wrote: »

Their counters are going to get very low numbers by Parkgate since very few use the cycle paths there due to them being in terrible condition.

Yea,
    Amazing that they have the counter on the lane at parkgate where no one can cycle due to its condition. Also I would say from what I see cycle traffic will be about 4 times greater once it gets to April or so, very early in the year to be counting cycle traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I haven't seen them but are they hoping to count cyclists travelling through the park or cyclists actually using the cycle track because the two numbers will always be different?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

kbannon wrote: »
    I haven't seen them but are they hoping to count cyclists travelling through the park or cyclists actually using the cycle track because the two numbers will always be different?
    I'd imagine they are happy enough to count those using the cycle lanes only.

The way the counters are by Park Gate it looks like maybe they are trying to only count how many dont use the bad part of the lanes as there is a small useful strip when heading towards the city centre but the counters dont even cover that small strip. There is a second counter on the cycle lane heading away from the city centre on the useful part of the cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

I wonder if they are doing up a league table of the fastest cyclists in the Park?? Gave it a bit more gas this morning just in case 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

I wonder if they are doing up a league table of the fastest cyclists in the Park?? Gave it a bit more gas this morning just in case ��

Clocked my second best time on the stretch of Chesterfield Ave from the Castleknock gate to the roundabout this morning, but for nought since I was on the road away from these sensors! :D:pac:

A strange thing is that they have a counter on the road based cycle lane on the outbound side near parkgate street but they don't have one on the cycle lane beside the fence on the footpath that runs beside it. They are only likely to capture 50% of the cycle lane traffic on that stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

OPW1: We counted the cyclists going through
    OPW2: How many?
    OPW1: Only 5 per day
    OPW2: No point resurfacing it so

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

I collided with a pedestrian who stepped off the bike lane into the road as I was going around her on Military road, just as the road goes up past Khyber. She was in the new painted bike lane.
    I was knocked out, broke both my arms and took a face full of road. The only reason I was training in the park that day, was I thought a long spin would be too sketchy as the weather was crap, and the light was poor. I thought it would be safer to go to the park for a few hours.
    I saw her well in advance, I made a reasonable manoeuvre to go around her, but still her last second change in direction took me out.
    Nothing to do with road design, its just human unpredictability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Wow unfortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you built a skyscraper without permission in front of An Board Planala you'd hear about it. If you set up a barracks outside the Curragh you'd hear about it.

So why the F UCK is the law so irrelevant in sight of the Garda HQ. More competency in a class of Junior Infants.

https://twitter.com/aoifegall/status/993568931343405056

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

ED E wrote: »
    If you built a skyscraper without permission in front of An Board Planala you'd hear about it. If you set up a barracks outside the Curragh you'd hear about it.

So why the F UCK is the law so irrelevant in sight of the Garda HQ. More competency in a class of Junior Infants.

https://twitter.com/aoifegall/status/993568931343405056

According to another thread, the gardai send 4 of their members if you’re using a human cordon to stop this happening to a similar cycle lane in rathmines. Wonder how many would show up if you called them here?

But it’s typical ireland. Motorists will literally park anywhere given the opportunity, they’re unbelievably selfish. My only solution would be plastic bolliards, although they get knocked easily. Perhaps a 6” kerb would be require in this scenario?

Advertisement