Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Canal Cycle Path - Be Careful

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭sheriff2

Read the article about the guy being attacked yesterday, my sympathies to him and you should be free to go where you want regardless of time. But not a hope id be cycling up the canal on my own at 7.40pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

Saw a cop car driving back down the lane at the lock house at about 5pm today, so there seems to be some extra attention going that way following recent events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Saw a cop car driving back down the lane at the lock house at about 5pm today, so there seems to be some extra attention going that way following recent events.

Still dealing going on at 1pm every day. Stopped fora day or 2 but same faces back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Some plain clothes on patrol would probably be ideal in that area? Or maybe some local attire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Perhaps one of the Cycling Lobby groups might organise a day/evening of action in Solidarity with the people who have been attacked? A few hundred cyclists riding up the Canal some evening might send a message?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,532 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Some plain clothes on patrol would probably be ideal in that area? Or maybe some local attire.

They probably know all the local guards well already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

A car to patrol a pedestrian/cyclist greenway? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,532 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I bumped into 2 beat members close to the gate on Sunday around 1 in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I know Gardai cannot be everywhere, but honestly they really are a "reactive" rather than a "proactive" force these days.

It wouldn't take a genius to figure out that constant patrolling for a week or two would calm things down a bit, but hey it's cold out there. Easier to watch CCTV and then react. Too late though.

I do hope it is sorted out soon, it could be a great amenity and commuting route for cyclists and walkers. So much money spent putting it in place, only for it to become a no go zone.

Hopefully things will improve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

It wouldn't take a genius to figure out that constant patrolling for a week or two would calm things down a bit, but hey it's cold out there. Easier to watch CCTV and then react. Too late though.

I don’t know ... it would either move the problem elsewhere or temporarily lessen its effect before seeing it coming back once the patrols stop, but I don’t think it would have any beneficial medium of long term effect for the general public.

I think if people are tired with this kind of stuff, rather than complaining about the guards they need to think hard about how they want society to handle these thugs and get politicians to take actions accordingly. I can totally empathise with the guards lack of motivation to get out there knowing that they know all the perpetrators already, have caught them dozens of times in the past, but nothing ever happens down the chain.

IMO the main problem is not a lack of policing, but that as a society and through our politicians, we are deciding to do nothing about these behaviours and to accept them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Bob24 wrote: »
    I don’t know ... it would either move the problem elsewhere or temporarily lessen its effect before seeing it coming back once the patrols stop, but I don’t think it would have any beneficial medium of long term effect for the general public.

I think if people are tired with this kind of stuff, rather than complaining about the guards they need to think hard about how they want society to handle these thugs and get politicians to take actions accordingly. I can totally empathise with the guards lack of motivation to get out there knowing that they know all the perpetrators already, have caught them dozens of times in the past, but nothing ever happens down the chain.

IMO the main problem is not a lack of policing, but that as a society and through our politicians, we are deciding to do nothing about these behaviours and to accept them.

Excellent post IMO, and articulates how I feel far better than I could right now.

The truth of the matter is that there is no deterrent for under age kids causing mayhem is there? I know it is going to sound very Right Wing reactionary to say this, but surely the parents should be forced to take responsibility for their errant and wild children. How this is achieved I don't know, but if the State washes its hands of so called petty crime by juveniles, well someone has to be responsible.

As for the adult drug dealers and messers, you are right, the Gardai are hamstrung with the revolving door, bail, fine, slap on the wrist approach.

I dunno, but I agree with you. What to ask politicians and those with some clout is a mystery though. Any suggestions?

We would have been totally grounded as kids if we committed as much as the tiniest misdemeanour. I'm ok though, it was never injurious, just a lesson. Good parenting I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Another mugging last night. Again young kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭sheriff2

Where did you see that

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭G-Man

I asked the pharma worker about the Garda visiting the company in Grangecastle after an earlier assualt and after that the Gardai and employer adapting a recommendation of dont use the greenway.

He added the following, most of the cameras dont work, the drugs gangs have put them out of order so that there is no monitoring. In addition because of anti drug protests in more residential areas, the canal is used as a neutral low policing area. So any motion to increase policing is likley to fall flat because the same gardai are assuring residents elsewhere in west dublin that drugs dealers will be moved on.

I know that is anecdotal, but this is what Gardai discussed at a company visit.

sheriff2 wrote: »
    Where did you see that

Colleague in work cycling to Lucan told me. Not even sure people are even reporting these things any more.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

On the lack of deterrent/punishment, the 2 lads who threw acid at another kid in waterford were let off with a juvenile caution. They'll be wiped off if they're not caught doing anything for the fn

That's the state of things. Short of murder and theres little punishment for serious crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭tnegun

Bluebell or Clondalkin end?

tnegun wrote: »
    Bluebell or Clondalkin end?

Bluebell , same spot just beyond the gates

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Maybe when they kill someone the guards just might show some interest.

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Maybe when they kill someone the guards just might show some interest.

Sadly seeing the iron bars used recently this may happen if these kids continue to do this regularly with no consequences.

The ease with which they are doing this might attract older scum bags too given the value of the bikes going through Bluebell along with personal belongings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

G-Man wrote:
    I asked the pharma worker about the Garda visiting the company in Grangecastle after an earlier assualt and after that the Gardai and employer adapting a recommendation of dont use the greenway.

Yeah I work in this area and we had a couple of communications recently warning not to cycle or walk into the business park using the canal.

A friend of mine was pulled at 6am the other morning by the guards for not indicating at the roundabout coming into the business park within a stones throw of the same said canal.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/bike-thief-who-assaulted-retired-rte-broadcaster-cathal-mac-coille-with-bolt-cutter-jailed-38796804.html

BIKE thief who jumped into the canal to evade capture after assaulting retired RTÉ broadcaster Cathal Mac Coille with a bolt cutter has been jailed for one and a half years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 GeetarPick

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/bike-thief-who-assaulted-retired-rte-broadcaster-cathal-mac-coille-with-bolt-cutter-jailed-38796804.html

BIKE thief who jumped into the canal to evade capture after assaulting retired RTÉ broadcaster Cathal Mac Coille with a bolt cutter has been jailed for one and a half years.

Father of 4?! Jesus christ they're just gonna multiply and multiply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Judge Greally said she could have only considered a wholly suspended sentence if Gibson was drug free but as urine sample results had not been given to the court she had to infer that this had not come to pass

Why would a judge even consider a suspended sentance for someone with 28 previous convictions after they assualted someone with a bolt cutters, stole a bike and had a knife in their possession?

Take them off the streets. End of

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭obi604

Paulzx wrote: »
    Why would a judge even consider a suspended sentance for someone with 28 previous convictions after they assualted someone with a bolt cutters, stole a bike and had a knife in their possession?

Take them off the streets. End of

Oh sure there was probably a “reasonable doubt” in his head :/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

GeetarPick wrote: »
    Father of 4?! Jesus christ they're just gonna multiply and multiply.

the bolt cutters could be put to good use.
    OrdinaryLeadingCanine-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Caledonia

Guy badly assaulted towardsRialto last night before 10pm. Down from 1st lock - cross road from suir road luas - along that walkway. 7 or so ‘kids’ and large sticks/bars of wood. He was on foot walking towards town. Surrounded him then attacked so they had him on ground. Punched and kicked him in head. Significant facial injuries. Eye closed over, nose pumping blood & swollen up, 2 lumps on back of head. Took and broke his phone in the melee and took wallet.
    Thr level of violence used was shocking.
    Gardaí who came said the canal patrols may have moved them down.

Not sure if they are the same gang but...modus operandi similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭obi604

Caledonia wrote: »
    Guy badly assaulted towardsRialto last night before 10pm. Down from 1st lock - cross road from suir road luas - along that walkway. 7 or so ‘kids’ and large sticks/bars of wood. He was on foot walking towards town. Surrounded him then attacked so they had him on ground. Punched and kicked him in head. Significant facial injuries. Eye closed over, nose pumping blood & swollen up, 2 lumps on back of head. Took and broke his phone in the melee and took wallet.
    Thr level of violence used was shocking.
    Gardaí who came said the canal patrols may have moved them down.

Not sure if they are the same gang but...modus operandi similar.

Little scum. Makes my blood seriously boil. Why, just why?
    Good for nothin useless articles.

Advertisement