Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-08-2019, 21:28   #61
flazio

Do these radars have to be based at airports? I'm thinking one in the Slieve Blooms would provide a good range for most of the island.
Advertisement
11-08-2019, 21:47   #62
JCX BXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by flazio View Post
Do these radars have to be based at airports? I'm thinking one in the Slieve Blooms would provide a good range for most of the island.
Slap bang in the middle of Dublin and Shannon though, it would provide very little extra coverage to the country, and would probably just be a waste of money.

Would terrain not be an issue here?
Thanks from:
11-08-2019, 22:56   #63
Rougies

Quote:
They don't have to be at airports. For example what we refer to as the "Belfast radar" is not actually at Belfast airport, but on the south shores of Lough Neagh near Lurgan.

Here's the exact location, you can see the shadow of the tower and radar housing clearly.

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/54%...8!4d-6.3428864

But it does make sense for them to be at airports or at least close to airports for a few reasons. One is because they are more accurate at close range and that's obviously a good thing for warning air traffic about the current weather situation.

Here's a great read about the "British Isles" (not my words) weather radar network.

https://artefacts.ceda.ac.uk/badc_da...actsheet15.pdf

Last edited by Rougies; 11-08-2019 at 23:00.
(2) thanks from:
11-08-2019, 23:06   #64
ecowise

Based on the total weather radar coverage for UK/Ireland it would seem Belmullet (or Knock Airport) would be the most useful place to add an extra station (if there is a more up-to-date coverage map please let us know).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Radar_Coverage.JPG (70.6 KB, 94 views)

Last edited by ecowise; 12-08-2019 at 10:37.
Thanks from:
12-08-2019, 08:33   #65
RoisinD

Hopefully Shannon back today. Looked at it around 5.00am and thought it had been fixed as it was showing the whole area.
Advertisement
12-08-2019, 11:31   #66
coillsaille

I see on the coverage chart in the document posted above that the boundary between the 2km and 5km resolution for Shannon is around 10km to my west. Sometimes while watching for upcoming breaks in showers I have seen seen showers materialise out of nowhere around this point on the map. Just curious if the transition to higher resolution at that point explains that?
12-08-2019, 11:33   #67
JCX BXC

That document seems to imply that Shannon airport is in Limerick city, so in reality it would be shifted slightly to the west for Shannon's coverage.
Thanks from:
12-08-2019, 11:36   #68
coillsaille

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCX BXC View Post
That document seems to imply that Shannon airport is in Limerick city, so in reality it would be shifted slightly to the west for Shannon's coverage.
True indeed. Didn't spot that!
Thanks from:
12-08-2019, 12:19   #69
ecowise

Quote:
Originally Posted by coillsaille View Post
I see on the coverage chart in the document posted above that the boundary between the 2km and 5km resolution for Shannon is around 10km to my west. Sometimes while watching for upcoming breaks in showers I have seen seen showers materialise out of nowhere around this point on the map. Just curious if the transition to higher resolution at that point explains that?

There may be a resolution effect happening sometime but showers do often materialize out of nothing (as most of us have experienced sometime while enjoying the great outdoors)!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Radar_resolution.JPG (93.7 KB, 71 views)
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-08-2019, 17:23   #70
JCX BXC

No update as was promised.
(2) thanks from:
13-08-2019, 09:22   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCX BXC View Post
No update as was promised.

Yep - I assume we can take it that no news is bad news.

Perhaps Met Eireann should have written: The progress, if any, will be updated here on Monday.
13-08-2019, 13:52   #72
mickger844posts

Emailed Met Eireann this morning and got this reply

“Unfortunately, we are still awaiting repair and looks likely it will take another few days”
13-08-2019, 14:15   #73
foxy farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickger844posts View Post
Emailed Met Eireann this morning and got this reply

“Unfortunately, we are still awaiting repair and looks likely it will take another few days”
Complete radar installations have been built from scratch in less time than this is being repaired.
(3) thanks from:
13-08-2019, 17:41   #74
flazio

Quote:
Tuesday 13th August: We are awaiting delivery from Germany of replacement parts for the Shannon radar this week. Some additional maintenance work and testing will be required when the replacement parts are fitted.

We will update this article on the expected resumption of service date this Friday.
Knowing our luck there won't be a drop of rain for weeks after the fix.
13-08-2019, 18:20   #75
Comhra

Quote:
Knowing our luck there won't be a drop of rain for weeks after the fix.
Indeed......we're overdue a long visit from the Azores high. He'll probably arrive for a 3 week stay the same day the radar gets fixed.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion