Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-01-2014, 20:04   #61
Capt'n Midnight
00:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamxavier View Post
I agree with your points apart from what I put in bold.

High vis is pretty important at night. It's definitely better than dull/dark clothing. It's doesn't take a massive lack of concentration to miss a cyclist/pedestrian who is wearing dark clothing.
I'd even argue that Hi Viz yellow is so over used it's becoming part of the scenery. Given a choice I'd use orange.

At night it's lights, reflectors on moving parts like pedals or legs and then reflectors on jacket and as others have pointed out they are of no use unless you are on a sit-up-and-beg type bike , for bikes you want reflectors on the seat of you pants or on the bottom of a backpack. Hi Viz/light clothing might help a bit but is absolutely no sustitute. Sharp Contrast is better than a larger blur. Reflective surfaces on a black jacket would stand out better.

Quote:
There's multiple parties involved and all parties should contribute to the safety of others.
At present the onus seems to be on the cyclist making them selves unmissable. It just trains motorists to be even lazier when looking for cyclists.

Back on topic

When it come to collisions with cars the main use of a helmet is as a Hi-Viz hat. It can be a large bright , reflective surface that's up high in line of sight.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
24-01-2014, 21:41   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannahurl View Post
There's another campaign under way in the West advising pedestrians to "make themselves safer". Hi-viz is inevitably part of the mix. No mention of traffic law enforcement, or chronic lack of same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasrojo View Post
To be fair, I can't see a mention of hi-viz there. The advice to walk towards oncoming traffic is probably wrong as you approach a blind bend though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Midnight View Post
At present the onus seems to be on the cyclist making them selves unmissable. It just trains motorists to be even lazier when looking for cyclists.

From today's Galway City Tribune:
One out of every three people killed on western roads in 2013 was a pedestrian, and none of them wore a high-vis vest.

"The first massive step in tackling this problem of pedestrian deaths is for these people to be seen," [said the Garda Regional Roads Policing Superintendent for the Western division].

Last edited by Iwannahurl; 24-01-2014 at 21:44.
(2) thanks from:
25-01-2014, 10:26   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannahurl View Post
"The first massive step in tackling this problem of pedestrian deaths is for these people to be seen,"
I'd agree with that and I wonder why there isn't more focus put on cars having fully working lights and using them at appropriate times.
(5) thanks from:
25-01-2014, 10:39   #64
CramCycle
A wholly unreasonable man

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Pants View Post
I'd agree with that and I wonder why there isn't more focus put on cars having fully working lights and using them at appropriate times.
They brought in a fine for missing/broken lights awhile ago but it seems that there are more people than ever driving around with either one light or no lights on at night. It is not like they are expensive to replace, halfords tend to fit them for a fiver.
Thanks from:
25-01-2014, 10:52   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by CramCycle View Post
They brought in a fine for missing/broken lights awhile ago but it seems that there are more people than ever driving around with either one light or no lights on at night. It is not like they are expensive to replace, halfords tend to fit them for a fiver.
I'm also pointing at the people who don't switch on their lights until it's pitch black out. During the winter I pretty much have my dips on all the time while driving.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
25-01-2014, 11:26   #66
CramCycle

Quote:
I'm also pointing at the people who don't switch on their lights until it's pitch black out. During the winter I pretty much have my dips on all the time while driving.
Me too, every morning or evening there is some plank who pulls out of a junction with no lights at twilight hours. Grey cars that blend in with the dull background are the worst IMO but no proof of this. I miss my SAAB with its auto on lights, if the lights are not working the car refuses to start. Safest car I ever drove.
Thanks from:
25-01-2014, 20:26   #67
tomasrojo

Quote:
And something should be done about the motorists with uncorrectable vision defects:
http://rdrf.org.uk/2013/11/03/hi-viz...e-and-context/

Not sure whether the stats have changed in the UK much, as the book was published a while ago, but that suggests that about two million practising drivers would fail the eye test for acquiring a driving licence.

Not to mention that when someone drives into someone in a car and kills them in broad daylight it should be taken with a pinch of salt when they say they couldn't see them. Of course they're going to say that.

Last edited by tomasrojo; 25-01-2014 at 21:36. Reason: in the UK
25-01-2014, 20:31   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasrojo View Post
Not to mention that when someone drives into someone in a car and kills them in broad daylight it should be taken with a pinch of salt when they say they couldn't see them. Of course they're going to say that.
I'm amazed that how often that gets said at trials and how it doesn't automatically bring a reckless/dangerous driving charge upon admission.
Thanks from:
26-01-2014, 08:28   #69
CramCycle

MOD VOICE: Irrelevant now

Last edited by CramCycle; 29-01-2014 at 15:14.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
29-01-2014, 14:23   #70
Newaglish

Quick question, which is semi-relevant to the thread:

Anyone know where I can find the definitive regulations for cyclists in Ireland?

I know that:
Helmets = not required by law
Lights = required by law

But I'm wondering about high visibility clothing?
29-01-2014, 14:29   #71
CramCycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newaglish View Post
But I'm wondering about high visibility clothing?
Not required by law.
29-01-2014, 14:37   #72
morana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newaglish View Post
Quick question, which is semi-relevant to the thread:

Anyone know where I can find the definitive regulations for cyclists in Ireland?
boards.ie
Thanks from:
29-01-2014, 14:40   #73
tomasrojo

Headlight, tail light, rear red reflector and pedal reflectors are the only conspicuity aids required by law, I think. Somebody should be able to furnish you with the relevant bits from the statute book. I don't have them off-hand.
29-01-2014, 14:49   #74
Chips Lovell
Waging war on tan sidewalls

Vehicle lighting regulations of 1963 specify a front and rear light. No mention of reflectors. Unless there's been some supplementary legislation in the mean time.
29-01-2014, 15:10   #75
tomasrojo

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1963/en/si/0189.html

There's a few mentions of an 'obligatory rear reflector'. Obligatory pedal reflectors don't seem to get mentioned though. Pretty sure they're mentioned elsewhere though.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion