Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-11-2012, 19:11   #46

I can't wait for the day when someone comes on here to "rant" or muse mildly about some sh1t you do!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
05-11-2012, 23:27   #47
buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusk Doyle View Post
I can't wait for the day when someone comes on here to "rant" or muse mildly about some sh1t you do!
I'm expecting one of the guys I overtook in Ranelagh to come on any moment. Tonnes of red-light breakers, and few opportunities to overtake when stuck behind them on the inside of car traffic. One of them gave me a bewildered look as I passed him, I think he was confused as to why someone who was stationary at the lights seemed to now be in such a hurry. Little did he know, I always go that fast.
06-11-2012, 13:44   #48
doozerie

Quote:
A buffalo on a bike is sure to attract attention eventually, it's only a matter of time before Joe Duffy is on the case with his army of phone-happy eejits to have a moan: "I seen it Joe, in the city centre of all places Joe. 'Twas definitely a buffalo. No Joe, I've not seen a cow before, I don't go beyond the city limits sure 'tis all horses, carts, and sh1t beyond that, but it wasn't a cow Joe, no. I'm telling' ya Joe, 'twas hew-age Joe, fookin' HEWWW-AGE! And on a bike Joe. A disgrace Joe, a bleeding' disgrace! I'm all for fairness Joe, but hanging's too good for 'em".
09-11-2012, 16:56   #49
doozerie

As it approaches time to cycle home I'm recalling the traumatic events of my commute in this morning. I ended up behind a buy whose trousers and top were not on speaking terms, and even his belt failed at doing anything as useful as keeping his trousers above the arse area. There was far more flesh on display than my stomach was comfortable with, and he was hairy, and it was raining, all of which made for a bad mix.

I may have to change my commute route on the way home, I'm not sure my eyes could survive another encounter with Mr Wet Hairy Arse Crack.
Thanks from:
14-11-2012, 17:37   #50
CramCycle
A wholly unreasonable man

Overtaken by a BMW who hooked a left immediately afterwards, hit brakes and didn't collide but since they were in such a rush to get into a closed estate, I followed it in in case there was an emergency.

I came round the 2nd corner to it pulled in, i camely pulled alongside and waved in the window, a lady rolled it down and I started with:

"I am not giving out but in future it would be alot safer if you waited the 3 seconds for me to pass a junction before you turn overtake me and turn in"

Much to my shock she instantly apologised, said she wasn't sure what had happened, she seen me as she had started the turn, panicked and sped off. She had not seen me until after the (incomplete) overtake?!? She looked shook and seemed to realise her error so nothing else to say really.

I have a edelux dynamo front light (one of the brightest lights you can buy) and a Cateye rear 530 (pretty decent, I can assure you).

I left, I wasn't sure what to say, she admitted fault but says she couldn't see me, I mean really, think to yourself, should you really be on the road in charge of such a vehicle.
Advertisement
14-11-2012, 17:54   #51
Beasty
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CramCycle View Post
Much to my shock she instantly apologised, said she wasn't sure what had happened, she seen me as she had started the turn, panicked and sped off. She had not seen me until after the (incomplete) overtake?!? She looked shook and seemed to realise her error so nothing else to say really.
I've had one incident like this (cutting across me to take a roundabout exit) - the driver apologised profusely, but appeared almost in a state of shock - not sure if it was genuine, or an attempt to feign shock in the hope it would stop me having a go at her

TBH, once a driver apologises I feel I've got my point over and will leave it there.

Funnily enough though, I had a bus overtake me going up a hill with a sharp bend this morning - he had to pull in quickly when a car came in the other direction - fortunately I eased off and he just got in without getting too close to me. He clearly knew he was in the wrong, and put his hazard lights on to acknowledge it - once he did that I just let it go.
14-11-2012, 19:36   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by CramCycle View Post
Overtaken by a BMW who hooked a left immediately afterwards, hit brakes and didn't collide but since they were in such a rush to get into a closed estate, I followed it in in case there was an emergency.

I came round the 2nd corner to it pulled in, i camely pulled alongside and waved in the window, a lady rolled it down and I started with:

"I am not giving out but in future it would be alot safer if you waited the 3 seconds for me to pass a junction before you turn overtake me and turn in"

I have a edelux dynamo front light (one of the brightest lights you can buy) and a Cateye rear 530 (pretty decent, I can assure you).

I left, I wasn't sure what to say, she admitted fault but says she couldn't see me, I mean really, think to yourself, should you really be on the road in charge of such a vehicle.
Were your lights on? Apparently there is a fine for not them on or having them at all. I read that somewhere recently...
14-11-2012, 23:28   #53
CramCycle

Quote:
Were your lights on? Apparently there is a fine for not them on or having them at all. I read that somewhere recently...
My lights are always on, there is not always someone home but they are always on.
15-11-2012, 13:51   #54
doozerie

I was dropping my car off to be serviced this morning so I put my bike in the boot so I could cycle from service centre to work. I drove, and then cycled, over routes that I wouldn't normally travel at commute times. I'm largely used to the nonsense antics of people on my usual commute routes, but there were a few moments on this morning's routes that really had me wondering whether there was anything other than vacant space between the ears of some people. Some people are clearly bonkers mad.

What is even more mad though is the cost of servicing a car. The car is in good condition generally, but I could buy a half decent bike for what it's going to cost me to have some seemingly minor little issues resolved (A crack in an indicator casing? I don't care. It'll fail the NCT? What?). Guess I'll have to hold off on having it fitted with 4x carbon rims and 5x electronic gears until my bank balance has recovered.
Advertisement
16-11-2012, 10:49   #55
Seve OB

Quote:
Originally Posted by doozerie View Post
What is even more mad though is the cost of servicing a car. The car is in good condition generally, but I could buy a half decent bike for what it's going to cost me to have some seemingly minor little issues resolved (A crack in an indicator casing? I don't care. It'll fail the NCT? What?)
I normally don't bother getting it serviced for the NCT and I would take with a pinch of salt anything a service centre says to me. Run it through NCT, and if it fails, they will tell you why, and you can get it fixed then.

I had a tiny hole in front light one time, not even the size of a pen, but it had a crack around it and also had condensation on the inside, which was the real issue. Guy in NCT (fair play to him) told me to fill it with silicon and it would be fine. So I filled with Silicon, smothed it off with a bit of fine sandpaper, and ran the extension lead out of the house with the missuses hair dryer (I don't need one) and pointed that at the light for 10 or 15 minutes till the condensation cleared.

Neighbours sent for the men in white coats to bring me to Dundrum when they thought I was after giving my car a haircut! A bit of embarrasement saved me a few hundred sheets and there wasn't even a charge when I went back to NCT as it was only cosmetic.
18-11-2012, 23:06   #56
CramCycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieob View Post
I normally don't bother getting it serviced for the NCT and I would take with a pinch of salt anything a service centre says to me. Run it through NCT, and if it fails, they will tell you why, and you can get it fixed then.
Same here, i'm reasonably handy with a car but not super, I'll service most myself, look over anything I'd want fixed myself and then drop it in. Last time they failed me on one rear light being too bright and the handbrake not working. When I asked what he meant he showed me that you had to pull it up the whole way for it to be completely secure (it was fine in my opinion, I just think he was a bit of a pansy on purpose). It did work, but 25 minutes adjusting the cable and then 10euro for a set of lights from Lidl. I replaced the light that was not as bright so they matched and that was that. They did charge me approx 30euro though as it was not a visual only check.
22-11-2012, 12:47   #57
doozerie

What is it with Irish bus lanes, they just seem not to work at all in the rain. On a dry day you encounter mostly buses and taxis in them. On a wet day every other motorist, and usually the cranky ones, seems to be in them.

Given our climate we really should invest in weather-resistant bus lanes. …and given our culture, we should probably invest in the gob****e-motorist -resistant variety.
27-11-2012, 18:08   #58
buffalo

Was cycling home along the N11 on Saturday in the dark, traffic is heavy, but moving well. Little car comes speeding along, weaving in and out of the bus lane. There's not even any traffic in the bus lane, which makes it even more erratic - lane changing for the sake of it.

Couple of km later, see the same car pulled over at the side of the road, and an unmarked Garda car beside it - I can see the blue lights through the windscreen of the first car. Sweet justice!

Then I realised that the first car is the unmarked Garda car, and he's pulled over someone else. Sweet justice?

Also, on an unrelated note, just listening to an interview on Drivetime regarding the current debate on abortion legislation.
Interviewee: "The X case was a very complicated judgement. I don't think we should rush to legislation."
Interviewer: "It's been twenty years."
Interviewee: "..."
(2) thanks from:
27-11-2012, 20:40   #59
Lumen

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalo View Post
"The X case was a very complicated judgement"
Only if you're a simpleton.
29-11-2012, 01:00   #60
doozerie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumen View Post
Only if you're a simpleton.
We have plenty of those. 'Tis due to the simpleton amnesty of yesteryear, they were all allowed to crawl out of the woodwork and become active members of society without so much as a license or a simpleton tax.

Being simpletons they can't think of anything better to do than write moany letters to newspapers. phone Joe Duffy, and participate in discussion programs where they don't know what is being discussed but by christ they'll instantly form a strongly held view on the topic based entirely around the question of "what would your stereotypical taxi driver say/do?".

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion