Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buffalo & Doozerie - The mild musings of two grumpy old men!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

loinnsigh wrote: »
    Were you just north of Blessington at the time, or was that another banana-dropper? I swerved some lad's banana there this morning

Sounds like something you'd hear in the George...

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

loinnsigh wrote: »
    Were you just north of Blessington at the time, or was that another banana-dropper? I swerved some lad's banana there this morning

If your incident was just before Brittas then yes that was me (though it might have been a banana minefield out there generally yesterday - cold cyclist hands and juggling food is a fraught combination at best). Thanks for sparing my food!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

doozerie wrote: »
    It was an insight into driver behaviour. I am now armed with the knowledge that if I ever feel at risk of being run over by a car, I should act like a banana. I will endeavour to use this knowledge wisely.

*looks at banana*
    *looks at hi-vis*

*tuts disapprovingly*
    It's not friday you know...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭buffalo

Mein Gott, closest pedestrian near-miss in recent history this morning. I'm still not sure how this girl didn't hit me...

Eastbound on Whitworth Road, line of car traffic, up ahead some kind soul is letting someone reverse out of his driveway, so I'm already on the brakes, slowing down. Girl on the footpath suddenly turns on her heel and steps out into me. I shout involuntarily, and I think that must have caused her to pause for the split-second I needed to clear her. She didn't hit the deck, and neither did I, and I didn't hang around for an apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

buffalo wrote: »
    Girl on the footpath suddenly turns on her heel and steps out into me. I shout involuntarily, and I think that must have caused her to pause for the split-second I needed to clear her. She didn't hit the deck, and neither did I, and I didn't hang around for an apology.

I had a similar experience last night on the clontarf cycle jogging / dog walking track last night, a jogger decided to hop on to the track right in front of me. My involuntary ejaculation (thanks QI) was "jaaaaysuuus", I did hear a "sorry, man" though.

• Advertisement

Becoming a parent has led to my being introduced to the world of Richard Scarry through the books of his that my daughter likes. The world around me has taken on a new complexion as a result, I see characters from Busytown when I like around me.

Like one morning last week during my commute. I stopped at a red light where the road I was on was joined by a road from the right. Another cyclist stopped to my right and a little ahead. It was a strange place to stop, he had positioned himself in front of the line of stopped cars, but the fact that he had stopped at all was the focus of my attention. Few cyclists stop at those lights, apparently there is an invisible force field which prevents cars and cyclists coming from the road on the right from squishing you so most cyclists just barrel on through without any hesitation. I eyed him from the short distance away. It was a bit awkward, 'twas like being at a disco where everyone is merrily smashing the red lights on the dance floor and you spot the only other person there that doesn't seem to fit in. Should I go over and introduce myself as a kindred spirit? What do I say? "Do you fancy a green light from the bar" would just sound a but cheesy. What if I go red in the face, red means stop so that would mean we couldn't even talk. Oh, commuting is so tricky!

Anyway, he seemed to decide that being closer to the kerb was a better place to be so he started to roll his bike across in front of me. As he did so, someone else on a bike, Mr. Frumble himself, came wobbling along and tried to weave between us. Look out, Mr. Frumble! But Mr. Frumble crashed into the other cyclist. They both stayed upright, there was some muttering of apology though I'm not sure by whom, and Mr. Frumble continued on his way, through the red light.

Uncharacteristically Mr. Frumble cleared the junction without incident, but 20m ahead was another bigger junction, a crossroads, also with a red light. Watch out for the pedestrian, Mr. Frumble! But Mr. Frumble crashed into the pedestrian who was crossing the road. Mr. Frumble stayed upright, as did the pedestrian, but the pedestrian seemed cross and said something to Mr. Frumble while pointing to the red light. Mr. Frumble looked a bit dejected. He seemed to think twice about going through the crossroads, those cars were crossing left and right a bit faster than he'd like. So he waited. Well done, Mr. Frumble.

My light went green, Mr Frumble's light went green, and I passed him by a moment later as he wobbled along. He looked a bit down in the dumps. Poor Mr Frumble. Not to worry Mr. Frumble, you'll be back in your car tomorrow and you'll be safer then. If you survived the rest of your journey, that is. Good luck Mr. Frumble.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Coming along by the RDS from Donny brook to Balls bridge the other evening/night. There was a road joining in at the Herbert Park hotel/apartments and I seen a Taxi rolling up to the junction but unsure if he was going to stop. I pulled out further into my lane (no traffic behind me), the taxi seen me, stopped, I was happy but as I got to the junction a Honda 50 with a light equivalent to a Tealight pulled across me with about 5 metres to warn me. If I hadn't pulled out he would have cleaned me out of it, I can assure you I am far from invisible.

I let a roar so loud it was like that Fus Ro Dah from Skyrim (never played but I have seen the videos),

His back wheel spun out to the side but he just about stayed upright. I continued on my way and stopped at the lights. The taxi guy pulled up beside me and rolled down his window.

"F*CK, that was close, don't see that every day"
    "your telling me"
    "I didn't even see him till you let that roar"
    "neither did I"
    "Are you OK? F*CK, that was close, I couldn't even see his lights, I could see you but he was invisible"

We chatted for a few minutes, nice guy, it calmed me down as I was tempted until then to fruitlessly go back and give the guy a b*ll*cking. Thank you Taxi man

Had a long, busy, and stressful week in work this week, compounded by my daughter chirpily nominating 04h00 as "morning time" a few nights in a row. I needed a good night's sleep but for reasons that seem very dubious now I decided I'd watch The Bourne Legacy before going to bed "early". That was the plan. The plan developed a few wrinkles early on by the fact that it was nearly 22h00 when I sat down to watch the film and the film was over 2 hours long. I'll be grand, I thought, common sense having already packed itself away for its own early night.

Once the clock passed midnight I was struggling a bit, common sense roused itself briefly, had a sleepy look at the time, and muttered a "Jaysus, ya muppet!". I was anxious for the film to end, I felt like a barman at closing time - "Come on now, will ye wrap it up. Just kill each other so that we can all go home!". Ten minutes later and the main protagonists had still failed to resolve their differences. By now I was an assassin-on-the-ditch, watching proceedings and thinking things like "Feck sake, how could you miss? I'd have hit him if I were firing that gun!" and "Ah now, what's with the bar locks, just go straight for the vulcan death grip. FECK SAKE!".

It was eventually 00h30 when I got to bed. No panic, 7 hours sleep, breakfast, and out on the bike by 09h00. I went to sleep with images from the film, and the (far better) other Bourne films going through my head. It seemed like no more than 5 minutes after I'd closed my eyes than I was opening them again to a face hovering just inches from mine in the dark. CHRIST! As my brain considered its various panic options a voice much like my daughters cut through the haze. I glanced at the clock, 03h50. Feck sake! "I got a fright. I saw a monster", she said. Yeah, I know exactly how you feel, I thought. How would Jason Bourne deal with the situation I wondered. I decided he'd walk her back to her room, give her a hug, and settle her down for the night. But if he met any real monster enroute he was going to assassinate the sh1t out of them, that was for sure. Back to bed, and my brain started ruminating on the anomalies in the film. Was about an hour later that I finally fell asleep again. Feck sake!

07h45 and my daughter ran into the room, full of beans. She is clearly on drugs, I'd like some of those. I hobbled out of bed like an auld fella crippled with arthritis and limped around. My wife took pity on me and offered to sort out breakfast while I had an extra nap. My wife rocks! I eventually crowbar'ed myself out of bed, helped by a very chatty child, a little before 10h00. Over an hour later I was searching for my cycling kit. I couldn't find my base layer. It wasn't accidentally in the ironing pile. Definitely not. I checked everywhere. Twice. It wasn't in the ironing pile. Definitely not. …it was in the ironing pile. Feck sake! I left the house at 12h10. Feck!

I headed out via Enniskerry. There were loads of riders going the other way, probably almost home after their day's ride. I was nodding my head at people like a mad thing, 'tis a wonder it didn't fall off. Saw several more riders as I descended the other side of Enniskerry. The driver behind considerately held well back, bikes are quicker than cars down there. On the last downhill stretch a rider coming up the other way had a line of cars behind him. The lead car decided that overtaking uphill on a narrow road, with a rider coming straight down towards them at 50kph, was a perfectly sensible thing to do. I was left with about 1m of road to squeeze between the car and the ditch to my left. I yelled something non-complimentary at them, I can't remember exactly what, but whatever it was wasn't strong enough to convey my true feelings on the matter. I didn't have time to yell something else at the car behind it who decided to follow the overtaking car. I know you don't need a brain to drive a car, but, really, what the feck?!

The rest of the ride was largely uneventful, some other dubious demonstrations of driving and occasional lungs hanging out over the handlebars aside. I decided I hated myself so I turned up Luggala on the way home. The not so steep bit was worse today than I had anticipated, the steep bit was easier than I had expected, and I decided to make it even harder for myself to Sallygap but picking a relatively high gear for me. So it seemed like a fairly slow trudge up to the gap. As I neared it I could make out the silhouettes of cyclists stopped at the crossroads. As I got closer I was able to make out an eclectic mix of kit - various colours was all I could make out at that distance. Someone standing near one of the signposts, away from the others, had a particularly distinctive pair of shorts or tights on, they were pink at the back and black on the legs. I was tired, that's my excuse for staring until the realization hit me that I was looking at a bare arse. I was being unintentionally (I hope) mooned. It wasn't a half-arsed moon either, so to speak, both cheeks were on proud display, and by their flushed colour I'd guess that they were angry at being sat on a bike saddle for some period of time. As I passed, the female owner of the cheeks pulled her tights back up and re-joined the group. I try to blot the image from my memory, but it's annoyingly persistent.

I'm finally off to bed now, hopefully my dreams won't feature any of the more notable points of today, otherwise I may welcome a middle-of-the-night wake up from my daughter to save me from myself. In the meantime, sorry to the Internet, the length of this post has probably made it run out of ink.

Meant to post this last week for doozerie:

243875.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Why have you got a suitcase hanging out of your saddle? :pac:

• Advertisement

colm_gti wrote: »
    Why have you got a suitcase hanging out of your saddle? :pac:

How else am I supposed to carry my spare spokes?

...too soon? :D

How else am I supposed to carry my spare spokes?

...too soon? :D

That hurt :(

That hurt :(

aww, I'm sorry. *group hug*

Coming back from Clontarf seafront yesterday morning, stopped at the lights at the Malahide Road junction. Too lazy to trackstand, lean against a convenient lamp-post instead. This has the unintended side-effect of putting me well into the side of the road, which is not where I like to be.

Taxi pulls up just behind me, very close. He keeps moving forward, and his wing mirror close enough that I feel compelled to stick my arm out and wave a bit to make sure he's seen me. He keeps moving forward (at this point he's well past the stop line), and I have to lean in a bit to make sure his wing mirror doesn't clip me. Then he rolls down the window and tells me to get on the cycle track, amid other general abuse.

I've become so desensitised to this sort of thing that I forgot to call the Gardaí when I got home. I have his taxi plate number, debating calling today.

I was wondering though - do the taxi bodies educate their members on the rights of other road users? Was there a bulletin that said, "hey drivers, from 1st Oct 2012, cyclists can legally share the road, no matter what cycle tracks exists" ? I doubt it. Leo was on the radio this morning, talking about potholes, but never heard him publicising the above rule change.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Then he rolls down the window and tells me to get on the cycle track, amid other general abuse.

You'd never get the chance to get it all out but:

Dear Taxi driver:

Failure to obey traffic lights 5 points (crossing the line to have a word with you)
    Driving without reasonable consideration 4 points (pulling up to close to you, not giving reasonable space and consideration, not focusing on surrounding traffic environment, forcing you to move at a red light to accommodate their careless driving etc.)

Do you know if your getting awfully close to losing your license permanently?

Buffalo

For the umpteenth time recently a cyclist ran into the back of my bike while I was stopped, track standing, at a red traffic light. Like the previous times this was in daylight, I'd been stopped for a minute or more already, and the other cyclist had an unimpeded view of me for several metres as they approached, yet they still hit me. The most recent guy was instantly apologetic, and seemed frightened (I may have packed my DAFUQINFUQ? face that morning rather than my huh? face), fair enough, but how someone simply runs into something/someone in those circumstance defies any kind of logic that I am familiar with. It seems like the compulsion to break a red light overrides all common sense and makes people willing and able to completely ignore the information that their eyes and ears feed them.

This morning as I cycled to work, I spotted an SUV about 20m from where his side road (from a large housing estate) intersected with my main road. There was a large grassy area between us, so absolutely nothing to impede my view of him, or his view of me. I was the only traffic on my stretch of road at the time, which always makes me more wary. It was daylight though, and I was wearing a red helmet, a sky blue (not a colour commonly occurring in Irish nature!) jacket, and I was riding a white bike. Depending on your perspective I'm either very conspicuous, or a feckin' eyesore, but either way I'm far from invisible.

I passed the side road at the same time as the SUV got to it, keeping to the middle of my lane just in case (any further out and I'd have to contend with possible traffic coming round the blind corner ahead on the wrong side of their line since steering properly and staying within their lane seems such a challenge for so many on that road), and it's just as well that I did. He didn't stop, he didn't slow down, he just kept turning left as I passed within what felt like mere inches of the front of his Chelsea tractor. I had to swerve out and accelerate to avoid ending up as an ornament on his bonnet, but while that postponed the collision by a second at best it wouldn't have been enough, but thankfully he did finally hit his brakes and stopped with his SUV mostly turned onto the main road. He looked shocked and stuck his hand up to apologise, it seemed clear that he was completely oblivious to my existence until that point.

I don't actually need reminding that some people are in a bubble all of their own and choose to remain utterly unaware of everything around them no matter what the circumstances, but recent incidents have really rammed that home to me. Quite literally in some cases. I'd like to think that those people I've had the misfortune of encountering recently will have woken up a bit as a result of having caused an incident, but based on the reactions of some of them, and/or the utter stupidity of their actions to start with, I'm doubtful.

Mistakes happen, that's unfortunate but it's a fact of life, but my recent encounters or near collisions can't reasonably be described as "mistakes", I believe, they were the direct result of mindless behaviour on the part of the other other people involved - they put no mental effort in at all. In that sense the incidents fall under the mammy definition of "Mistakes don't happen, they're CAUSED!" and the mammies of the people concerned should grab them by the earlobe and flake them across the arse with a wooden spoon. In the absence of their mammies, I volunteer to do the needful next time round, and I might throw in a wedgie for good measure! I'd round off with that immortal phrase "Now go to your vehicle and think about what you've done!".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Well said - I've noticed on my commute through Clonskeagh, Ranelagh etc that the inner (i.e. closest to the median) cycle lane markings are used as a convenient stop point to check either side.

It happens a half dozen times every day, car pulls out into cycle lane, stops, checks for "real traffic".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Was there a bulletin that said, "hey drivers, from 1st Oct 2012, cyclists can legally share the road, no matter what cycle tracks exists" ?

You are assuming they can read.

buffalo wrote:
    Was there a bulletin that said, "hey drivers, from 1st Oct 2012, cyclists can legally share the road, no matter what cycle tracks exists"

There was, but they read it as "Hey there Gods, from 1st Oct 2012, those feckin' smelly hippies believe they can share YOUR roads (yes, the ones you paid for directly with your ROAD TAX), no matter what tracks-made-of-nectar-what-you-done-paid-for-with-YOUR-TAXES exist. This is the thin end of the wedge, next people will be expecting you to use your indicators and wing mirrors and sh1t. Aren't your lives hard enough already, what with the challenge of having to steer *and* operate pedals at the same time? You must fight. Shove the hoors off the road. Make a stand, though obviously while sitting. And remember, you rock!"

daragh_ wrote: »
    You are assuming they can read.

ooh, that's a low blow! I did have a guy a few months ago who so nicely fulfilled the racist stereotype. I honestly didn't know how to react, except with stunned silence. Most drivers I have are regular folk, with some eccentricities, but this guy took the biscuit. And then smashed the biscuit into tiny pieces because it was chocolate and chocolate is black.

Anyway, I've since fired off emails to the DoT and NTA - keyboard warriors, UNITE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

ooh, that's a low blow! I did have a guy a few months ago who so nicely fulfilled the racist stereotype. I honestly didn't know how to react, except with stunned silence. Most drivers I have are regular folk, with some eccentricities, but this guy took the biscuit. And then smashed the biscuit into tiny pieces because it was chocolate and chocolate is black.

Anyway, I've since fired off emails to the DoT and NTA - keyboard warriors, UNITE!

I had an incident recently where the driver was so racist I had to ask him to stop and let me out. I refused to pay him, which annoyed him, but only until he realised I was phoning his company. Unfortunately, his supervisor laughed and said I needed to stop over-reacting.

Gobsmacked.

I had an incident recently where the driver was so racist I had to ask him to stop and let me out. I refused to pay him, which annoyed him, but only until he realised I was phoning his company. Unfortunately, his supervisor laughed and said I needed to stop over-reacting.

Gobsmacked.

It filters down from the top! If enough of them do it it must be ok, right?

It filters down from the top! If enough of them do it it must be ok, right?

Worked for Germany...

Worked for Germany...

Is this meta-racism?

Is this meta-racism?

I was told I needed to lighten up. Having taken his advice, I can report feelings of guilt and unease.

I refuse to lighten up.

Is this meta-racism?

Is that met-a-racist-ism?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

This morning as I cycled to work, I spotted an SUV about 20m from where his side road (from a large housing estate) intersected with my main road. There was a large grassy area between us, so absolutely nothing to impede my view of him, or his view of me. I was the only traffic on my stretch of road at the time, which always makes me more wary. It was daylight though, and I was wearing a red helmet, a sky blue (not a colour commonly occurring in Irish nature!) jacket, and I was riding a white bike. Depending on your perspective I'm either very conspicuous, or a feckin' eyesore, but either way I'm far from invisible.

The problem here is inherently dangerous Irish road design practices. In this case whats called an excessive visibility envelope. The more an entering driver can see, from further back, the less likely they are to yield to crossing traffic. The temptation to keep moving overcomes the need to stop and actually assess what is happening on the crossing road.

If you read UK roads guidance they specify maximum as well as minimum visibility envelopes from the minor road. Although this is contained in NRA guidance you will find that some county councils drop this when they transpose these standards into their own documents - as did the Dublin Transportation Office when they released their own traffic management guidelines.

When this is combined with wide sweeping curves on corners its a safety own-goal.

Historically, Irish roads practice was intended to ensure that motorists would not have to stop at side-roads. Add a cycle facility that takes you out of the drivers "zone of observation" and you compound the effect.

Irish roads engineers have been training motorists not to stop and look for cyclists in much the same way that they have been training cyclists to ignore red lights.

Is that met-a-racist-ism?

So my point may have been made in a manner that was both tasteless, and undermined my original point, but it is surprising how quickly people adapt to unacceptable behaviour when their seniors accept it, either tacitly or by participation. I may have used an extreme, historical, and sensitive example, and for that I apologise.

The problem here is inherently dangerous Irish road design practices.

I can see what you're saying, but while it makes sense that road design can influence behaviour, what it all boils down to for me in this instance is that a driver, at some level, abdicated his responsibility to other road users by not taking account of his circumstances. So the road design is a factor, I agree, but the root of the problem here is really the driver behaviour.

I think there is no doubt that road design is important, that becomes blatantly obvious in particular when it is done extremely badly (e.g. the worst of the cycle tracks), but I also wonder whether as a society we don't take enough account of the risks of complacency influencing road user behaviour. As better road design theoretically makes roads safer, do we as road users basically stop listening to those parts of our brain that try to remind us of potential dangers?

That's a topic for a much broader debate of course but I'm reluctant to blame an incident on road design when the driver in question was clearly at fault. He might reasonably claim that the junction layout discouraged him from stopping but ultimately it was his conscious decision to just drive on and thereby almost cause a collision, however much it might bother him to acknowledge this.

I'm not suggesting that you are excusing the driver's behaviour here, by the way, but the driver might happily opt to pin the blame on "the state of the roads" and it's an option that would appeal to blinkered road users and their lobby groups generally. Anything that takes the focus away from their own behaviour is very appealing to the worst culprits. So while I think that calls for better road design are important, I also think that a lot of care is needed in how these calls are worded and presented to void pandering to the muppets.

• Advertisement

So my point may have been made in a manner that was both tasteless, and undermined my original point, but it is surprising how quickly people adapt to unacceptable behaviour when their seniors accept it, either tacitly or by participation. I may have used an extreme, historical, and sensitive example, and for that I apologise.

My post wasn't having a go at you, I was just playing around with the words that buffalo used i.e. I wasn't calling you a racist, you just met one.

Advertisement