Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-01-2019, 20:29   #1096
68 lost souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type 17 View Post
Technically, that chainring is a bit worn, and so will wear a new chain a little faster than a brand new chainring would but, given the price of a new chainring versus the cost of a new chain and cassette, I'd run a new chain and cassette on this 'ring one more time, and then when that chain and cassette are worn out again, I'd get all three and start again fresh.
If it makes any difference price wise it’s a 105 chain set. New cassette is ultegra as 105 doesn’t come on 12-30 and chain is kmc xl10s
Advertisement
11-01-2019, 23:49   #1097
Weepsie

Anyone know if there's any Italian Threaded BB386EVO bottom brack at all at all? I was about to pull the trigger on a BSA one, then realised my bike was likely Italian threaded (Guerciotti) so scuppered some plans
13-01-2019, 17:33   #1098
S_D

How does one know the condition of a front hub? Spoke are solid, spins freely etc anything else to check? (Going to look at a 2nd hand wheel hence the question)
13-01-2019, 17:45   #1099
Eamonnator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weepsie View Post
Anyone know if there's any Italian Threaded BB386EVO bottom brack at all at all? I was about to pull the trigger on a BSA one, then realised my bike was likely Italian threaded (Guerciotti) so scuppered some plans
Can you put up a link to the bike?
13-01-2019, 17:53   #1100
Type 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_D View Post
How does one know the condition of a front hub? Spoke are solid, spins freely etc anything else to check? (Going to look at a 2nd hand wheel hence the question)
Hold the axle and spin the wheel - should be silky-smooth with no roughness (or minimal, consistent "texture" if it's a cheap wheel, but I presume you aren't going to buy a wheel that cheap on the secondhand market).

Check the rim is straight, with no hops or dents, as well as no sideways run-out.

If it's a rim-brake wheel, check the brake tracks for wear - there may be a rut worn into the centre of the brake-track (if so, leave it, unless it's really cheap).

Bring a spoke key and turn a few spokes a half-turn open (and then turn them back, to avoid messing up the trueness) - if the nipples are seized or part-seized, walk away. Another sign that the nipples may seize soon is a lot of corrosion (white bloom on the aluminium) under the rim-tape - don't buy a wheel without seeing under the rim-tape - if the seller doesn't want to take the tyres off, walk away.
Advertisement
13-01-2019, 18:02   #1101
homer911

Derailleur / Gear adjustment

Sorry for the dumb question. I've just changed my gear cable as the gears were slipping and I noticed the cable was fraying at the derailleur. I've watched a few videos online of H/L setting and indexing. My problem is that I cant get the gears to shift lower than 4th gear. Adjusting the L setting makes no difference. Is the tension in my gear cable wrong or am I missing something stupid. I understand the barrel adjustment is only for indexing.

Many thanks
13-01-2019, 18:08   #1102
Type 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer911 View Post
Sorry for the dumb question. I've just changed my gear cable as the gears were slipping and I noticed the cable was fraying at the derailleur. I've watched a few videos online of H/L setting and indexing. My problem is that I cant get the gears to shift lower than 4th gear. Adjusting the L setting makes no difference. Is the tension in my gear cable wrong or am I missing something stupid. I understand the barrel adjustment is only for indexing.

Many thanks
Don't touch the H/L screws to set the indexing, and if you have, you need to set them up again before riding.

Both the limit settings (H/L) and the indexing (cable tension) are covered here
Thanks from:
13-01-2019, 18:27   #1103
John Hutton

Desperately need help folks.

Spent the day servicing my bike.

Fixed up my cantilever brakes with nice new pads, cleaned and greased everything. Spent a million years getting them set up *just right*

Was screwing the rear cantilever back on and it was just about tight enough and the head of the screw snapped off.

So now I have most of a screw stuck in the cantilever boss.

It's not sticking out or even flush but slightly recessed.

What on earth do I do? (Aside from cursing and feeling sorry for myself, I'm doing loads of that).

Massive internet high five for anyone who can help me out with any ideas.

So so so pisssed off.
13-01-2019, 18:31   #1104
Eamonnator

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer911 View Post

Many thanks
Your gears may have been slipping because of a worn chain and/or cassette.
Advertisement
13-01-2019, 18:34   #1105
Eamonnator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hutton View Post
Desperately need help folks.

Spent the day servicing my bike.

Fixed up my cantilever brakes with nice new pads, cleaned and greased everything. Spent a million years getting them set up *just right*

Was screwing the rear cantilever back on and it was just about tight enough and the head of the screw snapped off.

So now I have most of a screw stuck in the cantilever boss.

It's not sticking out or even flush but slightly recessed.

What on earth do I do? (Aside from cursing and feeling sorry for myself, I'm doing loads of that).

Massive internet high five for anyone who can help me out with any ideas.

So so so pisssed off.
photograph please.
13-01-2019, 18:35   #1106
Type 17

Most canti bosses are actually screwed into a recess on the frame - check if there are two flats at its base, ready to take a 7 or 8mm open-end spanner - if you can get a spare one off a scrap frame (I have a few spare ones if you're in Dublin), you can then afford to attempt to unscrew the old one (they're usually tight as hell, and you may round off the flats, so be prepared to get the Vice-grips out).
13-01-2019, 18:57   #1107
John Hutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type 17 View Post
Most canti bosses are actually screwed into a recess on the frame - check if there are two flats at its base, ready to take a 7 or 8mm open-end spanner - if you can get a spare one off a scrap frame (I have a few spare ones if you're in Dublin), you can then afford to attempt to unscrew the old one (they're usually tight as hell, and you may round off the flats, so be prepared to get the Vice-grips out).
It's an old steel frame and appears to all one bit stuck on? I'll have another look tomorrow
13-01-2019, 18:58   #1108
John Hutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamonnator View Post
photograph please.
I'll get one tomorrow (don't trust myself to go near the bike again)

If a bit were still sticking out I'd Dremel a groove in it an screw it out, but it's about 3/4mm recessed into the boss
Thanks from:
13-01-2019, 19:09   #1109
Type 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hutton View Post
It's an old steel frame and appears to all one bit stuck on? I'll have another look tomorrow
Here's a good pic of one, so you can see which bit unscrews and what is welded to the rest of the frame. note that the join may be painted over.

https://www.amazon.com/Surly-Cantile.../dp/B001GSONNA
13-01-2019, 19:11   #1110
triggermortis

If the head came off, and you can now remove the brake, is there nothing left protruding to grip onto?
If not, you'd need to drill into the damaged screw and use an ez-out to remove it

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion