Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-01-2019, 21:55   #226
Gerry

I took the canal for part of the commute yesterday, from the rcag boathouse to maynooth. Was perfect conditions, tiny bit slippy and plenty of roots to keep you paying attention. On road bike with 25c slicks it was good fun.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
08-01-2019, 15:58   #227
blueballfc

Greenway investment for Longford

Looks like royal canal is getting more investment in Longford (well at least spurs from it)
"200,000 spent on construction of a link from the Royal Canal to Newcastle Woods in Ballymahon" and "€193,982 will be allocated for the construction of a walkway and cycleway linking the Royal Canal from Lanesboro to Clondra"

https://www.longfordleader.ie/news/h...n-funding.html

Last edited by blueballfc; 08-01-2019 at 16:30.
(3) thanks from:
08-01-2019, 16:42   #228
Hurrache

Have the family cycle from Dublin to Ballymahon for their stay in Centre Parcs!

All you need is some enterprising B&B's and guesthouses along the way to group together and offer support such as forwarding the luggage to the next stop, offer support at various stops with packed lunches, and you could make a weeks holiday out of the greenways once they're done.

Off I dash to my local enterprise office.....
(2) thanks from:
11-01-2019, 13:32   #229
site_owner

i need to get to porterstown tomorrow, not familiar with the area at all. google is telling me to take the royal canal way, after the cycle way it seems to be better infrastructure too (blue)
i'll be on a bullitt with 2 kids.

am i liable to fall in the canal or get stuck at a kissing gate?

is this realistic or should i go through the park and take the dodgy roads? (white)

11-01-2019, 14:26   #230
surball

Quote:
Originally Posted by site_owner View Post
i need to get to porterstown tomorrow, not familiar with the area at all. google is telling me to take the royal canal way, after the cycle way it seems to be better infrastructure too (blue)

is this realistic or should i go through the park and take the dodgy roads? (white)

I think you will be caught out by the kissing gates, certainly on the stretch between phibsboro and ashtown.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-01-2019, 14:57   #231
cdaly_

Quote:

I'd suggest Griffith Ave, Ratoath Road, Ballycoolin. Not as dodgy as city centre though the latter parts are fairly busy but with off-road 'cycle track' and dual carriageway so no 'need' for close passing.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Ba...102599!1m0!3e1

I'd be intrigued to hear how you got on through the Deep Sinking on a Bullit though...
(2) thanks from:
11-01-2019, 15:58   #232
site_owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaly_ View Post
I'd suggest Griffith Ave, Ratoath Road, Ballycoolin. Not as dodgy as city centre though the latter parts are fairly busy but with off-road 'cycle track' and dual carriageway so no 'need' for close passing.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Ba...102599!1m0!3e1

I'd be intrigued to hear how you got on through the Deep Sinking on a Bullit though...
twitter has helped me get a good handle on what i'd be facing on the canal tow path so thats going to be a trip for another day. theres a few finicky bits that involved lifting and twsting the bike, which i doubt i'll manage with them onboard.

now, the route you've suggested looks great, i hadnt thought of it at all. i might head down the malahide road and up collins avenue to make it a little more direct.

the only bit i dont know about is around the cappagh road towards the hospital, is it a bit dodgy there for cars speeding and the road being narrow (years since i was out there)
11-01-2019, 16:12   #233
columbus_66

I think you would be much better off going through the Phoenix park as has plenty of lanes with no kissing gates. You could go out through White's gate although there is a bit of narrow road after Castleknock college but it is the most direct. Otherwise go up through Castleknock and Coolmine to get the cycle\bus lanes. There is a lane that comes out opposite the entrance to the Castleknock hotel but I haven't tried it yet.
Thanks from:
11-01-2019, 16:12   #234
Hurrache

Cars travel relatively slowly on the Cappagh Road towards the hospital, there's plenty of traffic calming on the road. Once you take that right turn at the lights (at the Ratoath Road/Cappagh Road junction) to cycle down by the hospital the road narrows a bit until you get over the bridge spanning the M50.

Bonus with this route is that it's a nice down hill the length of Snugburough Road as far as the N3.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-01-2019, 18:09   #235
site_owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus_66 View Post
I think you would be much better off going through the Phoenix park as has plenty of lanes with no kissing gates. You could go out through White's gate although there is a bit of narrow road after Castleknock college but it is the most direct. Otherwise go up through Castleknock and Coolmine to get the cycle\bus lanes. There is a lane that comes out opposite the entrance to the Castleknock hotel but I haven't tried it yet.

That sounds like a possible option, any chance you could put it on Google maps?
11-01-2019, 22:13   #236
columbus_66

Quote:
That sounds like a possible option, any chance you could put it on Google maps?
The lane is at the end of the Beeches road if that's what you're asking? Otherwise you're first map was most direct. I use those roads every day.

Xxxx

Last edited by columbus_66; 11-01-2019 at 22:20. Reason: Wrong link
11-01-2019, 22:19   #237
columbus_66

[quote="columbus_66;109115108"]The lane is at the end of the Beeches road if that's what you're asking? Otherwise you're first map was most direct. I use

Ooops Wrong link!

Near Unnamed Road, Diswellstown, Co. Dublin
https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZvCP3
21-01-2019, 16:53   #238
blueballfc

maynooth to leixlip section getting started !!! also on FB page

https://www.waterwaysireland.org/new...jP2EqBiE5j0Ec8
(3) thanks from:
21-01-2019, 19:08   #239
mloc123
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueballfc View Post
maynooth to leixlip section getting started !!! also on FB page

https://www.waterwaysireland.org/new...jP2EqBiE5j0Ec8
Excellent, that section was a mud bath for the last couple of months
21-01-2019, 19:50   #240
Mercian Pro

By my calculations that's another 5.4km to be upgraded. Should be completed by March next if all goes to plan. Does it still leave another 2km grassy section between Deey Bridge and Carton/Pike Bridge?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion