Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Good side. Strong second row, good centre combination especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Good side. Strong second row, good centre combination especially.

Both second rows are really good players, and two of the best defensive lineout operators in the league, but neither is a renowned scrummager nor a natural tighthead lock. Our second row is much more balanced with Quinn Roux in the 5 jersey. Our centre stocks are really good, plus we have the option to go with Aki-Arnold for games in which we might need extra defensive solidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

1. Denis Buckley
    2. Dave Heffernan
    3. Finlay Bealham
    4. Ultan Dillane
    5. Gavin Thornbury
    6. Eoghan Masterson
    7. Jarrad Butler
    8. Paul Boyle
    9. Kieran Marmion
    10. Jack Carty
    11. Matt Healy
    12. Bundee Aki
    13. Tom Farrell
    14. John Porch
    15. Tiernan O’Halloran

Paddy McAllister, Caolin Blade, and Sam Arnold all have a decent shot at starting too imo. Plus there’s always the potential for a surprise like Cillian Gallagher at 6 or maybe Wootton on the wing.

100% agree

Another surprise considering form might be De Buitlear as 23.
    And as lonely as I may be, I wouldn't completly rule out Oliver starting at 7 with Butler kept as 8 and Boyle 6.

connachta wrote: »
    100% agree

Another surprise considering form might be De Buitlear as 23.
    And as lonely as I may be, I wouldn't completly rule out Oliver starting at 7 with Butler kept as 8 and Boyle 6.

Don't think it will happen so soon but who knows, he could be training the house down. Only thing is both of the backrows we've suggested are a tad underpowered, which is why I'd like to see us try Gallagher at 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Don't think it will happen so soon but who knows, he could be training the house down. Only thing is both of the backrows we've suggested are a tad underpowered, which is why I'd like to see us try Gallagher at 6.

Nothing against masterson but I’d be very interested in seeing a back row of gallagher, butler, Boyle and masterson on the bench against ulster. Like sob, think gallagher could go on to be a stunning player if he can sort of the injuries.

• Advertisement

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Nothing against masterson but I’d be very interested in seeing a back row of gallagher, butler, Boyle and masterson on the bench against ulster. Like sob, think gallagher could go on to be a stunning player if he can sort of the injuries.

Such a pity that the two best homegrown forwards of the past ~10 years have had such bad injury problems. Both are still young though, hopefully they can finally put a run of games together.

Perfectly right, I'm conviced he can bring grint as 6, as Dowling seems to be promised for 5.

Boyle and Butler are clearly the most regular players in the team, for tackling, making very few errors, and being fit again and again

That leaves one spot + one off the bench we should chose considering the opposition we face

- Gallagher (lock-profile backrow)
    - Papali'i (ball-carrying backrow)
    - Masterson (experienced and versatile back-row)
    - Oliver (smart and veloce back-row)

Friend made a very intelligent recruitement here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Mul, it's over
    There'd be a nice balance to a 6. Dowling, 7. Oliver, 8. Papali'i backrow.

There'd be a nice balance to a 6. Dowling, 7. Oliver, 8. Papali'i backrow.

I'd love it. Maybe Gallagher (higher, heavier) is the n°5 and Oisin n°6.
    But the announcement when he signed looks the other way..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

1. Denis Buckley
    2. Dave Heffernan
    3. Finlay Bealham
    4. Ultan Dillane
    5. Gavin Thornbury
    6. Eoghan Masterson
    7. Jarrad Butler
    8. Paul Boyle
    9. Kieran Marmion
    10. Jack Carty
    11. Matt Healy
    12. Bundee Aki
    13. Tom Farrell
    14. John Porch
    15. Tiernan O’Halloran

Paddy McAllister, Caolin Blade, and Sam Arnold all have a decent shot at starting too imo. Plus there’s always the potential for a surprise like Cillian Gallagher at 6 or maybe Wootton on the wing.
    If that’s the team they go with, this should be a cracking game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,129 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    That's a nice jersey. I like it

https://twitter.com/the2ndRow/status/1295710329540882434?s=19

Is this the home one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Is this the home one?

Training Jersey

KBurke85 wrote: »
    Training Jersey

Would be a great kind of away one for the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Is the Genesys deal worth more or less than the Intersport Elverys ? Couldn't find any figures on it.
    Is somebody going to start a thread for the game on Sunday? It's been too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Anyone have the inside scoop on the Dave McSharry case? People seem to be very quiet on a fairly significant piece of news.

(I apologise to mods if this can't be spoken of).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Anyone have the inside scoop on the Dave McSharry case? People seem to be very quiet on a fairly significant piece of news.

Probably best not to discuss considering it's an open court case now, but yeah there's been very little mention of it at all in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭b.gud

There doesn't seem to be many articles about it, which I assume is all we'd be allowed to talk about. This is the only one I can find and it's behind a paywall https://www.businesspost.ie/legal/former-connacht-player-sues-irfu-and-aviva-over-repeat-head-injuries-cae4b06c

Probably best not to discuss considering it's an open court case now, but yeah there's been very little mention of it at all in the media.

I know I'll come across as a moan, but I imagine it would be getting significantly more media attention if he had a few dozen caps or played with Leinster/Munster.

Hell Tomas O'Leary's slap in the eye with gym equipment got mountains of press and it is nowhere near as severe as this.

So bad news, no Matt Healy, either De Buitlear, Wootton, or Sullivan on the wing
    Good (great) news : SOB integrated into training!
    Uncertainty (positive) : Roux not listed among the only 3 unavailable, maybe on the bench?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I can't believe it's not Butler

It's a civil action which won't be before a jury, there's no risk of prejudice.

There's little about it in the media because proceedings were only issued last week and current restrictions mean it's very hard for stuff to leak naturally from the High Court Central Office. Usually when the newspapers have intimate details of Court filings it's because one side leaks them, for whatever reason.

A few things we can say for sure from the nature of the proceedings filed:
    • It's highly unlikely to be a personal injuries action as that would most likely be statute barred at this point
    • Moreover, there's no verifying affidavit filed (yet) on the behalf of the plaintiff, which again points to something other than a personal injuries action
    • It's a High Court action so the monetary jurisdiction is in excess of €75,000
    • An insurance company (Aviva) is the second named defendant which again implies something other than a personal injuries action

Robbo wrote: »
    It's a civil action which won't be before a jury, there's no risk of prejudice.

There's little about it in the media because proceedings were only issued last week and current restrictions mean it's very hard for stuff to leak naturally from the High Court Central Office. Usually when the newspapers have intimate details of Court filings it's because one side leaks them, for whatever reason.

A few things we can say for sure from the nature of the proceedings filed:
    • It's highly unlikely to be a personal injuries action as that would most likely be statute barred at this point
    • Moreover, there's no verifying affidavit filed (yet) on the behalf of the plaintiff, which again points to something other than a personal injuries action
    • It's a High Court action so the monetary jurisdiction is in excess of €75,000
    • An insurance company (Aviva) is the second named defendant which again implies something other than a personal injuries action

From Irish Times 4 years ago:

"In Ireland there are a number of players waiting to see how insurance companies treat their career-ending concussion injuries, including Connacht centre Dave McSharry, who retired over the summer, Ulster’s Declan Fitzpatrick, who retired in April 2015 and Leinster’s Kevin McLaughlin, who also retired last year. There has been no resolution so far.

“If insurance doesn’t pay out, then who will players sue?” says a doctor with close links to the sport. “That’s a no-brainer. It’s their employers and those people whose care they were under when they played the game. The sport has left itself wide open here."

b.gud wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to be many articles about it, which I assume is all we'd be allowed to talk about. This is the only one I can find and it's behind a paywall https://www.businesspost.ie/legal/former-connacht-player-sues-irfu-and-aviva-over-repeat-head-injuries-cae4b06c

EfieBp8XsAEiG0h?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

From that Sunday Business Post article:
    Dr. Barry O'Driscoll, who resigned as the IRB's medical chief in 2011 ... said ... that once a player had sustained a concussion they were more likely to be concussed in future
    [it] is accepted ... that coming back off a concussion you are at more risk of a second concussion, so there is no way a player should be allowed to come back three times in a year
    Pretty damning stuff.

when i compared AP to Nick Williams, i meant that he’s a big lump of a wrecking ball with questionable fitness and a limited ceiling. they share a lot of the same strengths and weaknesses.

i will say it speaks volumes about the guy that he went from playing club rugby a couple of years ago to working his way back into the pro game to earn this contract. hopefully Friend can harness that mentality, like someone above said if he has half the impact on Connacht that Williams has had on various clubs over the years he’ll have more than earned his pay.

We're clearly not alone to have the comparison in mind

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/rugby-union/eoghan-masterson-backing-abrahampapaliito-connachtsnick-22548569

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone

I’ve seen him papalii in person and he is a very large human

I’ve seen him papalii in person and he is a very large human

On the42 podcast Jackman said he spoke with a member of the Bay of Plenty coaching staff about Papali’i, who apparently said he has enormous potential but they had issues with his fitness and work rate.

On the42 podcast Jackman said he spoke with a member of the Bay of Plenty coaching staff about Papali’i, who apparently said he has enormous potential but they had issues with his fitness and work rate.

Sounds a bit like Copeland. Hopefully the coaches and players can help get the best out of him.

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Sounds a bit like Copeland. Hopefully the coaches and players can help get the best out of him.

Copeland has never had those huuge ball-carrying abilities (not bad but..), was thiner

Papali'i should be on the bench, could be the perfect impact player if he can't hold 80

• Advertisement

Copeland has never had those huuge ball-carrying abilities (not bad but..), was thiner

Papali'i should be on the bench, could be the perfect impact player if he can't hold 80

I meant with the huge potential.
    Might not be an 80 minute player for a long while

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement