Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭connachta

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    I meant with the huge potential.
    Might not be an 80 minute player for a long while

To be honest, I'm not that bother if a 120 k N-Z comes in and carries 4/5 balls vs tired defences for 25 minutes regularly.
    SOB/Boyle/Butler/Mastersons can all be moved in the end of the games to accomodate Papali'i as 8 (20)
    My expectation is Naoupu 2.0. No more (not an international) not less (a great impact player)

As Masterson said, Connacht missed this profile for long

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Sounds a bit like Copeland. Hopefully the coaches and players can help get the best out of him.

Copeland is a strange one, all the talent and athleticism in the world and yet lacking either the focus or drive to consistently impact games.

Papali’i has one shot at making a great life for himself playing rugby, if that doesn’t motivate him nothing will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

connachta wrote: »
    To be honest, I'm not that bother if a 120 k N-Z comes in and carries 4/5 balls vs tired defences for 25 minutes regularly.
    SOB/Boyle/Butler/Mastersons can all be moved in the end of the games to accomodate Papali'i as 8 (20)
    My expectation is Naoupu 2.0. No more (not an international) not less (a great impact player)

Absolutely agree. 6 SOB 7 Butler 8 Boyle with Papalii @ 20 is tasty.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

You simply can't afford to have a player on the bench who's not fit enough to play 80 minutes. He might have to come on after 5 minutes to replace an injured player. Crazy to risk it.

connachta wrote: »

He needs to be capable of playing 80 minutes if required. Can’t have him blowing before half time if he has to come on after 5 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭JohnniDrama

On the42 podcast Jackman said he spoke with a member of the Bay of Plenty coaching staff about Papali’i, who apparently said he has enormous potential but they had issues with his fitness and work rate.

Have heard from a good source that they very impressed with Papali’i and his conditioning is impressive and close to the standard. So no concerns there. He doing extras too. Meant to be huge. They very excited about his potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭connachta

Have heard from a good source that they very impressed with Papali’i and his conditioning is impressive and close to the standard. So no concerns there. He doing extras too. Meant to be huge. They very excited about his potential.

Maybe even better than expected, so!!

The posters above are right, he has to be able to play 70 minutes from the bench in emergency once a time.

My point is he "could" not be in a 110% physical durability, not starting for 80 min again and again weeks after weeks (like Boyle and Butler do), but mainly an impact player, in good shape but not tremendous one.
    If he can be more, great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Team named

15. John Porch
    14. Peter Sullivan
    13. Tom Farrell
    12. Bundee Aki
    11. Alex Wootton
    10. Jack Carty
    9. Kieran Marmion
    1. Denis Buckley
    2. Dave Heffernan
    3. Finlay Bealham
    4. Ultan Dillane
    5. Gavin Thornbury
    6. Eoghan Masterson
    7. Jarrad Butler (c)
    8. Paul Boyle

16. Jonny Murphy
    17. Jordan Duggan
    18. Jack Aungier
    19. Niall Murray
    20. Conor Oliver
    21. Stephen Kerins
    22. Conor Dean
    23. Tom Daly

Looking at the bench I'd say we could see a different xv starting next week from some of the lads not involved

KBurke85 wrote: »
    Team named

15. John Porch
    14. Peter Sullivan
    13. Tom Farrell
    12. Bundee Aki
    11. Alex Wootton
    10. Jack Carty
    9. Kieran Marmion
    1. Denis Buckley
    2. Dave Heffernan
    3. Finlay Bealham
    4. Ultan Dillane
    5. Gavin Thornbury
    6. Eoghan Masterson
    7. Jarrad Butler (c)
    8. Paul Boyle

16. Jonny Murphy
    17. Jordan Duggan
    18. Jack Aungier
    19. Niall Murray
    20. Conor Oliver
    21. Stephen Kerins
    22. Conor Dean
    23. Tom Daly

Looking at the bench I'd say we could see a different xv starting next week from some of the lads not involved

Friend has said he wants to use 30 players over the two games so there will be rotation next week.

KBurke85 wrote: »
    Team named

15. John Porch
    14. Peter Sullivan
    13. Tom Farrell
    12. Bundee Aki
    11. Alex Wootton
    10. Jack Carty
    9. Kieran Marmion
    1. Denis Buckley
    2. Dave Heffernan
    3. Finlay Bealham
    4. Ultan Dillane
    5. Gavin Thornbury
    6. Eoghan Masterson
    7. Jarrad Butler (c)
    8. Paul Boyle

16. Jonny Murphy
    17. Jordan Duggan
    18. Jack Aungier
    19. Niall Murray
    20. Conor Oliver
    21. Stephen Kerins
    22. Conor Dean
    23. Tom Daly

Very interested to see how the back 3 go.

• Advertisement

It is basically a pre-season warm-up game for us. Result doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.
    Obviously it would be nice to win though

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭briandebum

I can't believe it's not Butler
    Can anyone tell me what Sullivan is like? Haven't managed to catch him play and it's obviously a big opportunity for him.

briandebum wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what Sullivan is like? Haven't managed to catch him play and it's obviously a big opportunity for him.

Extremely powerful, the sort of guy who will run 5m out of his way to smash through someone. A bit slow on the turn. Haven’t seen much of him under the high ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Purple Fox

Extremely powerful, the sort of guy who will run 5m out of his way to smash through someone. A bit slow on the turn. Haven’t seen much of him under the high ball.

Saw him in the AIL for Lansdowne, Great with ball in Hand and a real physical winger. He was the top try scorer 2 seasons ago with 15 so hopefully can go well. Would like to see Wooton at 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 craggyrugby

Purple Fox wrote: »
    Saw him in the AIL for Lansdowne, Great with ball in Hand and a real physical winger. He was the top try scorer 2 seasons ago with 15 so hopefully can go well. Would like to see Wooton at 15.

He broke Lansdowne's single season try scoring record with those 15 tries which had previously been held by Matt Healy.

He also scored 3 tries in his last 4 matches for Connacht Eagles earlier this/last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    Great win today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    So Friend said he'd hoped to use about 30 players duruing the 2 interpros. Assuming the only new injury is Thornbury what team would people guess at for next week? Did I hear that Matt Healy was also injured somewhere? Though it's not in the squad update.

McAllister
    Delahunt
    Robertson-McCoy
    Dillane
    Murray
    Gallagher
    Oliver
    Butler

Blade
    Fitzgerald
    Wootton
    Farrell
    Arnold
    Porch
    O'Halloran

Heffernan
    Buckley
    Bealham
    Masterson
    Boyle
    Marmion/Kerins
    Carty/Dean
    Robb

I've gone a bit over with 9 personnel changes rather than 7 but I think most of them would benefit from game time, and I'm starting a lot of fresh faces with the assumption Friend will want to get as much game time spread through the squad as possible to get everyone up to match fitness.

Not sure if the half backs will get a rest after playing the full 80. Robb was supposed to be back in training in "mid August" so I assume will be available but I suppose there's question marks over him. Already looking light on 2nd rows with just 1 injury, but luckily Dowling and Roux should be back after the break. Masterson or Gallagher to cover there for now.

I assume they'll want the extra 5 weeks to work with Papali'i and O'Donnell(if he's fit) before blooding them.

Mul, it's over
    Good news on Thornbury, given the "all clear"

https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/status/1297811639769747456

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Whats the story with this Porch fella.
    Friend coached him at Aus 7's?
    What type of player is he?

• Advertisement

Great work rate and very fast. Took a bit of time to settle but coming from 7s that was expected. He was going very well before the lockdown. Only his second start at fullback, he is normally on the wing.

Mul, it's over

Fast, excellent finisher, surprisingly solid defender considering he's come from 7s, and on the evidence of last night not bad under the high ball or with the boot either.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Fast, excellent finisher, surprisingly solid defender considering he's come from 7s, and on the evidence of last night not bad under the high ball or with the boot either.

And he will be playing for Ireland when??

Mul, it's over
    And he will be playing for Ireland when??

He's an Australian international so never :pac:

He's an Australian international so never :pac:

Only half joking

A fast footballing winger who can defend!
    That’s not something we generally do in Ireland.

Oh, just one more thing....
    Is he left footed?

Mul, it's over
    Only half joking

Keith Earls maybe?

His defence could use work but considering where he's come from it's been pretty good. He wasn't ever really a step down on Healy or Adeolokun in that regard and he's getting better.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,045 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The Friend Zone
    Only half joking

A Conway

Keith Earls maybe?

His defence could use work but considering where he's come from it's been pretty good. He wasn't ever really a step down on Healy or Adeolokun in that regard and he's getting better.

Dont joke about!

I always really liked Healy. Great potential.
    If he was like him but could defend better that is a rough diamond.

• Advertisement

So Friend said he'd hoped to use about 30 players duruing the 2 interpros. Assuming the only new injury is Thornbury what team would people guess at for next week? Did I hear that Matt Healy was also injured somewhere? Though it's not in the squad update.

McAllister
    Delahunt
    Robertson-McCoy
    Dillane
    Murray
    Gallagher
    Oliver
    Butler

Blade
    Fitzgerald
    Wootton
    Farrell
    Arnold
    Porch
    O'Halloran

Heffernan
    Buckley
    Bealham
    Masterson
    Boyle
    Marmion/Kerins
    Carty/Dean
    Robb

I've gone a bit over with 9 personnel changes rather than 7 but I think most of them would benefit from game time, and I'm starting a lot of fresh faces with the assumption Friend will want to get as much game time spread through the squad as possible to get everyone up to match fitness.

Not sure if the half backs will get a rest after playing the full 80. Robb was supposed to be back in training in "mid August" so I assume will be available but I suppose there's question marks over him. Already looking light on 2nd rows with just 1 injury, but luckily Dowling and Roux should be back after the break. Masterson or Gallagher to cover there for now.

I assume they'll want the extra 5 weeks to work with Papali'i and O'Donnell(if he's fit) before blooding them.

Any update when we will see these lads?
    & What position does BOD play?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement