Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

903 new safety camera zones

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Maybe double check it's illegality again!

I didn't say you shouldn't overtake. I merely suggested that your actions encourage dangerous driving.
    I use roads as a driver, as a cyclist and as a pedestrian. If your actions to warn people of a speed trap put me or someone else in danger then you are in the wrong.

Once again how is flashing dangerous? It actually slows people down and makes them more aware especially coming into a “ high risk area”.

Show me a link where someone got done for flashing lights? I bet you’ll find it hard to find one.

So what was your beef at the overtaker? Did he pass on a bend, oncoming car or on a white line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

can be downloaded from GPS navigation providers such as Garmin, TomTom, Google Maps or Waze.

so where do we download them?

i found a kmz file but still wondering how i get that in google maps.

https://www.garda.ie/en/roads-policing/safety-camera-locations/2020-gosafe_zones.kmz

irishgeo wrote: »
    so where do we download them?

i found a kmz file but still wondering how i get that in google maps.

https://www.garda.ie/en/roads-policing/safety-camera-locations/2020-gosafe_zones.kmz

I just clicked on that link and when i opened google maps they were there, on a iphone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

If you’re not convinced this is a cash cow...they’re taking all the speed van signs off the road indicating there’s one in the area.

If you’re not convinced this is a cash cow...they’re taking all the speed van signs off the road indicating there’s one in the area.

When the figures are in wait until you see the huge increase in revenue in relation to road deaths. I have a feeling the former will be a lot different ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I just clicked on that link and when i opened google maps they were there, on a iphone

When I click on the link I get a page of gobble de gook.
    and an option to press DONE
    Can't see anything on google maps when I open it.

vectra wrote: »
    When I click on the link I get a page of gobble de gook.
    and an option to press DONE
    Can't see anything on google maps when I open it.

Only works on desktop for me.

I bet you're one of those 80kp/h drivers in the 100. You cause more accidents than the lad going a few km/h over.

They don’t though, no matter how many of you heard it off a lad down the pub.

When the figures are in wait until you see the huge increase in revenue in relation to road deaths. I have a feeling the former will be a lot different ;-)

It’s all about that lovely lovely money. If it was a safety issue they’d have the vans on actual bad parts of road, not on the only straight bit you can overtake on on my daily 25 mile commute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Only works on desktop for me.

Ah, we're supposed to memorise them then ;)

I can download a list of them but the map is blank for me.

• Advertisement

Ah, we're supposed to memorise them then ;)

I can download a list of them but the map is blank for me.

I just memorised the ones within 30/40 miles of me. I’d rarely go further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

To see the ‘zones’ in google maps: (Works on iPad and iPhone for me)

1. Change google maps to ‘default’ view (rather than satellite view), and if you have it on ‘traffic’, turn that off too. This is just so that you can see the detail.
    2. Now click on the link in the OP. (The ‘go safe - map’ link)
    3. Yes the map looks blank. Zoom in slightly, and suddenly it will appear to be covered in little black lines. Tap on any one of these black line and the fatality & collision stats will be detailed on the bottom part of the screen for that zone.

If all else fails - RTE did a good job here, the map works well in this article: https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0217/1115822-speed-zones/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

coffeepls wrote: »
    To see the ‘zones’ in google maps: (Works on iPad and iPhone for me)

1. Change google maps to ‘default’ view (rather than satellite view), and if you have it on ‘traffic’, turn that off too. This is just so that you can see the detail.
    2. Now click on the link in the OP. (The ‘go safe - map’ link)
    3. Yes the map looks blank. Zoom in slightly, and suddenly it will appear to be covered in little black lines. Tap on any one of these black line and the fatality & collision stats will be detailed on the bottom part of the screen for that zone.

If all else fails - RTE did a good job here, the map works well in this article: https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0217/1115822-speed-zones/

Thanks,
    But does this give a warning when you are nearing these zones if google maps is open while driving or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭deandean

Once again how is flashing dangerous? It actually slows people down and makes them more aware especially coming into a “ high risk area”.

Show me a link where someone got done for flashing lights? I bet you’ll find it hard to find one.

So what was your beef at the overtaker? Did he pass on a bend, oncoming car or on a white line?
    People have been done for flashing their lights at oncoming cars to warn of a speed check, absolutely.
    It was a few years ago and Gardai set up a sting. It was reported in the papers.
    The 'perps' were hauled into court and charged with "perverting the course of justice"!!!
    And there were stiff fines handed out.
    Absolutely riciculous I know, but it did happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭TigerTim

vectra wrote: »
    Thanks,
    But does this give a warning when you are nearing these zones if google maps is open while driving or what?

Heard a guy on the radio yesterday saying that Sat Nav would be updated with the new locations. My Garmin Sat nav is quite old & it doesn't warn me. Anyone recommend a good, reasonably priced Sat nav that can be updated with speed locations etc.

T.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I bet you're one of those 80kp/h drivers in the 100. You cause more accidents than the lad going a few km/h over.
    They're not 'accidents'. They are crashes or collisions. You don't 'accidentally' press the accellerator.

Can you point to any example from Court records or Coronors reports of crashes caused by the lad doing 80 in a 100 zone?
    Who said i was speeding? I haven’t been caught in 15 years . If it’s costing money they will be eager to collect it.
    Interesting choice of words there, about how you haven't been caught - so you do break the speed limit occasionally then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Bouladuff Thurles on the Nenagh road (The Ragg) from 2005 to 2013. A Garda would stand outside the pub with a speed gun or a GoSafe van would be parked near the GAA club.

An Garda Siochana no doubt changed the speed sign here. Btw the sign was changed twice even after the county council had replaced it with the correct speed sign. and it was even raised by Thurles town council that AGS had tampered with these signs.

Feel free to look up meetings and minutes of the former Thurles town council circa 2006 if you don’t believe this.

deandean wrote: »
    People have been done for flashing their lights at oncoming cars to warn of a speed check, absolutely.
    It was a few years ago and Gardai set up a sting. It was reported in the papers.
    The 'perps' were hauled into court and charged with "perverting the course of justice"!!!
    And there were stiff fines handed out.
    Absolutely riciculous I know, but it did happen.

It’s very rare though and non existent.. There are too many reasons that someone could flash another car. For example last week an oncoming car seemed to be drifting off it’s path toward me and just for safety i flashed him/her to remind them i was there. I didn’t fancy a potential head on collision, they were probably texting!. I do believe there are miserable people with nothing better to do out there that love seeing people get caught and fined. It’s no harm to flash a driver to remind him/her that they are entering a “ high risk area” so they slow down entering it and makes them more aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

flash away, my good man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Maybe I'm one of 'those' people but the more drivers caught speeding maybe the safer these roads would become.

I disagree wholeheartedly with speed vans, warnings of speed vans, marked speed vans and fools flashing other fools.

These vans should be made up of a fleet of completely different ones. There should be no warnings anywhere of where they'll be parked and no pattern to their placement or information on when.

Maybe then at least some drivers who think it's acceptable and even clever to drive above legal speed limits would think twice.

But as arrogant pr#cks I imagine that their sense of entitlement would convince them that they are above any road legislation.

• Advertisement

Maybe I'm one of 'those' people but the more drivers caught speeding maybe the safer these roads would become.

I disagree wholeheartedly with speed vans, warnings of speed vans, marked speed vans and fools flashing other fools.

These vans should be made up of a fleet of completely different ones. There should be no warnings anywhere of where they'll be parked and no pattern to their placement or information on when.

Maybe then at least some drivers who think it's acceptable and even clever to drive above legal speed limits would think twice.

But as arrogant pr#cks I imagine that their sense of entitlement would convince them that they are above any road legislation.

You need to research road death stats and see what the most causes of deaths are on the road. Then add that to your arrogant **** list?

So if you have a decent ordinary person who just wanders 82 km in a 80 zone and gets a ticket he’s an arrogant p***?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

Is there any app or way of getting a notification on Google maps when someone is driving into one of these speed zones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

Are these new speed cameras in unmarked vans or are the cameras hidden?
    Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

pimpmyhat wrote: »
    Thanks in advance

Saw once today in a new location and was standard speed van

Thanks in advance

They are taking the speed camera signage down also. The problem is , putting the vans aside for a moment, these signs mark the high risk areas to remind motorists they are entering a “ high risk area” to make them more aware. Motorist then would more likely watch their speed in these areas hence average speeds would be lower overall. Signs mark the so called dangerous routes. It just clearly shows the number 1 motive.

Thanks in advance

They have unmarked Van's but they dont issue tickets. They are for surverys. Probably how they decide which zones can be removed.

Tomtom's amigo android app seems to have all the speed zones on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Is it paid app?
    Tomtom's amigo android app seems to have all the speed zones on it.

Is it paid app?

Nope. Tried it out there.

Does the speed zones well and tells the length of it etc and warns if you are exceeding the speed limit.

It's a little out of date with the speed limits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭SeamusAFA

They are taking the speed camera signage down also. The problem is , putting the vans aside for a moment, these signs mark the high risk areas to remind motorists they are entering a “ high risk area” to make them more aware. Motorist then would more likely watch their speed in these areas hence average speeds would be lower overall. Signs mark the so called dangerous routes. It just clearly shows the number 1 motive.

Interesting that, lots radio about taking down the signs.
    I work in that line and we been told nothing :confused:

WD_Raceway wrote: »
    Interesting that, lots radio about taking down the signs.
    I work in that line and we been told nothing :confused:

The signs are already down. Seen a few empty signposts already.

You need to research road death stats and see what the most causes of deaths are on the road. Then add that to your arrogant **** list?

So if you have a decent ordinary person who just wanders 82 km in a 80 zone and gets a ticket he’s an arrogant p***?

Speeding is up there in the top three causes of road deaths.

What's this 'wandering' all about? Is the driver responsible for their driving or not?

Speeding is up there in the top three causes of road deaths.
    Why do you always try to mislead with 'facts'?

Of the 867 collisions analysed, 274 (32%) were cited as having excessive speed for the road and conditions as a contributory factorto the collision. This may not have been the sole cause of the collision but contributed in either full or part to the final outcome. Of this number 19% cited excessive speed as the sole contributory factor.
    In this report, when discussing the 274 collisions, the term speed always refers to Excessive Speed.
    However, in the 52 collisions where excessive speed was the sole factor indicated, 54 people were killed (48 drivers, 5 passengers and 1 pedestrian). A further nine people were seriously injured (4 drivers, 5 passengers).
    1) Only 54 fatalities out of 867 fatalities analysed between 2008-2012 had excessive speed as the sole contributory cause. That's 6.2%

2) Those 6.2% of fatalities were for "excessive speed" which is "driving too fast for the conditions", not breaking the speed limit.

As per https://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Fatal%20Collision%20Stats/Contributory_Factors_in_Fatal_Collisions/Fatal%20Collisions%202008%20to%202012_Excessive_Speed%20.pdf

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

1) Only 54 fatalities out of 867 fatalities analysed between 2008-2012 had excessive speed as the sole contributory cause. That's 6.2%

2) Those 6.2% of fatalities were for "excessive speed" which is "driving too fast for the conditions", not breaking the speed limit.

As per https://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Fatal%20Collision%20Stats/Contributory_Factors_in_Fatal_Collisions/Fatal%20Collisions%202008%20to%202012_Excessive_Speed%20.pdf
    Is there a reason why you are only referring to fatalities where speed was the sole factor rather than excessive speed being a contributing factor?

Is there a reason why you are only referring to fatalities where speed was the sole factor rather than excessive speed being a contributing factor?
    Yes? Is there a reason you're failing to understand the difference between

1) Excessive speed vs exceeding the speed limit

&

2) Speed being a contributary factor vs speed being the sole factor?

I was replying to someone who said "Speeding is up there in the top three causes of road deaths." and my post was quite clear.

Speed is a factor in every fatality since an accident can't occur without speed. Don't be dim.

• Advertisement

Why do you always try to mislead with 'facts'?

Did you miss the significance of this bit that you quoted;

274 (32%) were cited as having excessive speed for the road and conditions as a contributory factorto the collision.

Excessive is the key word here. Not normal speed, excessive speed. Not the speed required to make the accident collision happen, but excessive speed.

What's this 'wandering' all about? Is the driver responsible for their driving or not?

I’ll try to educate you a little you seem a little confused. Just say you’re cruising at 78 kmhr, depending on road gradients etc it’s easy for a car to say go up to 82kmhr without noticing it. Of course you can keep staring at the speedo and keep your eyes off the road ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Don199

I’ll try to educate you a little you seem a little confused. Just say you’re cruising at 78 kmhr, depending on road gradients etc it’s easy for a car to say go up to 82kmhr without noticing it. Of course you can keep staring at the speedo and keep your eyes off the road ;-)

I understand what you’re saying but 82km in an 80 zone wouldn’t warrant a ticket.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Don199 wrote: »
    I understand what you’re saying but 82km in an 80 zone wouldn’t warrant a ticket.
    Plus many/most car's speedos seem to read under the actual road speed? IIRC manufacturers err on the side of higher readings to cover themselves legally? I noticed this because mine is pretty bang on(slightly non standard tyres) with GPS and a while back while following a mate's car somewhere he had his cruise control set to 100Kph and my speedo was reading 92 ish.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Plus many/most car's speedos seem to read under the actual road speed? IIRC manufacturers err on the side of higher readings to cover themselves legally? I noticed this because mine is pretty bang on(slightly non standard tyres) with GPS and a while back while following a mate's car somewhere he had his cruise control set to 100Kph and my speedo was reading 92 ish.

Yeah same here, my speedo reads 85km butany static speed signs or gps ive used says 80km

• Advertisement

Don199 wrote: »
    Yeah same here, my speedo reads 85km butany static speed signs or gps ive used says 80km

its always under because its measuring your based on the size of the tyres, if you put non standard tyres on that are bigger you could end up going faster than the speedo is clocking and that could get you into all sorts of trouble.

its always under because its measuring your based on the size of the tyres, if you put non standard tyres on that are bigger you could end up going faster than the speedo is clocking and that could get you into all sorts of trouble.

Yeah but regardless of tyres you’d have to be doing about 5km over to warrant a ticket unless anyone on here that has got one for less can correct me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

yesterday at liffey valley just before 60 becomes 80 , today on the M50 . Its very very clear that theyre ramping up a revenue generation campaign that has sweet FA to do with safety.

yesterday at liffey valley just before 60 becomes 80 , today on the M50 . Its very very clear that theyre ramping up a revenue generation campaign that has sweet FA to do with safety.

100%! whereabouts on m50 was the van?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Saw that speed van at Liffey valley but that is a 80 zone. It’s 80 just after m50 flyover.

Saw that speed van at Liffey valley but that is a 80 zone. It’s 80 just after m50 flyover.

checking google maps you are right, but it was under 100 meters passed the sign, wouldnt be surprised if they decided to move it into the 60 zone in future.

Did you miss the significance of this bit that you quoted;

274 (32%) were cited as having excessive speed for the road and conditions as a contributory factorto the collision.

Excessive is the key word here. Not normal speed, excessive speed. Not the speed required to make the accident collision happen, but excessive speed.
    Excessive speed doesn't mean exceeding the speed limit nor does it mean 'abnormal', it means travelling too fast for the road conditions. Travelling at 60km/h on a 120km/h motorway during a snowstorm can be excessive speed, or travelling around a bend at 95km/h on a 100km/h N Road.

You claimed "speeding" which is exceeding the speed limit.

Stop being dishonest and maybe learn something for once, rather than insisting on arguing until the other person ends up in a coma from banging their head against your ego.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭appledrop

It was there again this evening!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

checking google maps you are right, but it was under 100 meters passed the sign, wouldnt be surprised if they decided to move it into the 60 zone in future.
    You mean along the stretch where many cyclists have to share space with drivers speeding past as they change lanes?

You mean along the stretch where many cyclists have to share space with drivers speeding past as they change lanes?

I have never seen a cyclist between palmerstown and liffey valley on the n4 and theyre not allowed on the motorway... theres a xycle path and bridge over the kings hospital side anyway.... this isnt about peddle peddlers

• Advertisement
Advertisement