Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Least favourite pro golfer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 demerse

Know nothing really about Mr Lyle, but you’d have to be suspicious of a man named Sandy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

demerse wrote: »
    Know nothing really about Mr Lyle, but you’d have to be suspicious of a man named Sandy.

Short for Alexander.... the Greatest golfer of all time. I'm a massive fanboy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    I was there that day. Monty said he’d never play in Ireland again. I met Ernie Els in the car park. No one else around at all. Back then he was my favourite golfer. What a day out.

Ernie won last night on the PGA seniors tour

• Registered Users Posts: 17,677 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Remind me wrote: »
    Matt Fitzpatrick - cheer the F*** up you grumpy little sh**e

Don't understand the hatred for Matt Fitz, he must be the least offensive, harmless golfer on the tour.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Don't understand the hatred for Matt Fitz, he must be the least offensive, harmless golfer on the tour.

Watch him, he goes around with a grumpy little head on him the majority of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

That's gas! I have a lovely photo of my brother in law and myself sitting at a picnic bench in Druid's Glen that weekend, having a pint with Ernie Els.

Back then, the Irish Open was a mega event, attracting huge names. I think John Daly played that week also.

I also remember that Clarke refused to play in the Opens at Druids Glen. The rumour was that the owner of the place had pictures of Irish Republican heroes (from 1916, I think) on the walls in the manor house and Clarke didn't like that. I've never had that confirmed as fact......

Clarke's guff was with the appearance money Daly was getting from what I remember. He said hed pull out if Daly was paid to play. Which he was. And Clarke duly withdrew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

Totally agree with the Daren Clarke hate. Remember why he didn’t win the BBC sports personality the year his poor wife died?
    I’ve a big dislike for Zach Johnson and all his winning for the baby Jesus and our lord the almighty bull****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Dbu wrote: »
    A few
    Darren Clarke (smile for camera merchant, saw first hand how he treats unpaid volunteers and it aint pretty)
    Sergio (for all that the last poster highlighted)
    Patrick Reed (just hate cheats)

+1 on Clarke, he's had tragedy in his life, but his demeanour and attitude off course, is of a grumpy surly character.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Remind me wrote: »
    Watch him, he goes around with a grumpy little head on him the majority of the time.

I think that's just his resting face, looks grumpy.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Southern Comfort

Clarke's guff was with the appearance money Daly was getting from what I remember. He said hed pull out if Daly was paid to play. Which he was. And Clarke duly withdrew.

Didn't know that. Thanks for clearing it up for me, Benicetomonty.

• Advertisement

maddness wrote: »
    Totally agree with the Daren Clarke hate. Remember why he didn’t win the BBC sports personality the year his poor wife died?
    I’ve a big dislike for Zach Johnson and all his winning for the baby Jesus and our lord the almighty bull****e.

Agree with you about Zach Johnson. I was in the US when he won the Masters in 2007. In his victory speech, he thanked "my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ!" Ghoul!!!! :mad:

And Bubba and Webb Simpson go on with the same crap!

Clarke won the South of Ireland at Lahinch in 1990. A friend of mine who was on the G.U.I. at the time said that Clarke was on the pi$$ uptown in some pub and failed to show for the presentation ceremony.

I'm not his biggest fan either............ I always thought he was cut from the same piece of cloth as Montgomerie. Just not a nice person.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,677 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Agree with you about Zach Johnson. I was in the US when he won the Masters in 2007. In his victory speech, he thanked "my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ!" Ghoul!!!! :mad:

And Bubba and Webb Simpson go on with the same crap!

What's wrong with that? Surely everyone is entitled to their beliefs?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

What's wrong with that? Surely everyone is entitled to their beliefs?

I agree, but they don't have to shove it down our throats when they're in front of a camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭S.G.M.

I agree, but they don't have to shove it down our throats when they're in front of a camera.

Ah here. What are ya on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

S.G.M. wrote: »
    Ah here. What are ya on about.

Have to admit I find it a bit ott when Johnson/Bubba/Crane start going on about God when they are being interviewed. Crane was being criticised a few years ago for slow play, when asked if the criticism effected him, he started going on about reading his Bible, God would help him. Of course everyone is entitled to their beliefs, but they do go on a bit when they have the mic in front of them, people have posted their dislike of certain golfers for a variety of irrational reasons, why not this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

In his victory speech, he thanked "my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ!" Ghoul!!!! :mad:

#1 hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Hoboo

McIlroy must be up there.

Dav010 wrote:
    Have to admit I find it a bit ott when Johnson/Bubba/Crane start going on about God when they are being interviewed. Crane was being criticised a few years ago for slow play, when asked if the criticism effected him, he started going on about reading his Bible, God would help him. Of course everyone is entitled to their beliefs, but they do go on a bit when they have the mic in front of them, people have posted their dislike of certain golfers for a variety of irrational reasons, why not this one?

If that sort of talk bothers anyone then I think it's laughable. When I saw this thread, I was thinking the reasons would be due to arrogance, complaining or sh*thousery etc

If that sort of talk bothers anyone then I think it's laughable.

Would praises to Allahu Akbar or Xenu the dictator of the Galactic Confederacy be any different?
    Slow play is worse though because I'll can just switch off the interview afterwards if someone starts drinking from the lord-and-saviour cup.

• Advertisement

RoadRunner wrote:
    Would praises to Allahu Akbar or Xenu the dictator of the Galactic Confederacy be any different? Slow play is worse though because I'll can just switch off the interview afterwards if someone starts drinking from the lord-and-saviour cup.

Someone talking about their beliefs doesn't bother me in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If that sort of talk bothers anyone then I think it's laughable. When I saw this thread, I was thinking the reasons would be due to arrogance, complaining or sh*thousery etc

Those things may bother you and not others, sometimes there isn't a rationale explanation for not liking someone. I know the guys mentioned are a world away from Isreal Falou (sic) or Tim Tebow territory, but at the same time, its a bit gringy. The tread isn't serious though, so it's no surprise that the reasons given so far could be considered laughable by others. Bubba whaling and talking about Jesus every single time he was interviewed after his Masters wins was a total cringe. Its just one of the reasons I suspect he was voted the least likely to be helped in a car park brawl by his fellow pros.

https://fansided.com/2015/04/06/bubba-watson-street-fight-according-pga-poll/

Dav010 wrote:
    Those things may bother you and not others, sometimes there isn't a rationale explanation for not liking someone. I know the guys mentioned are a world away from Isreal Falou (sic) or Tim Tebow territory, but at the same time, its a bit gringy. The tread isn't serious though, so it's no surprise that the reasons given so far could be considered laughable by others. Bubba whaling and talking about Jesus every single time he was interviewed after his Masters wins was a total cringe. Its just one of the reasons I suspect he was voted the least likely to be helped in a car park brawl by his fellow pros.

That's your opinion and my opinion is that it's laughable to use the fact they bring up their faith as a reason to dislike them.

That's your opinion and my opinion is that it's laughable to use the fact they bring up their faith as a reason to dislike them.

Publically stating faith and divine intervention was the reason you won a golf comp is naive and foolish, some of the traits I dislike most in people.

Rory is criticised very heavily here for every single thing that he says.

When someone says what Bubba says, you either take the claims that magic-gods-and-a-two-thousand-year-old-Jordanian-lad-favours-you-over-149-other-guys-in-the-field serious or you dont. If taken seriously then there should be some very basic followup questions:

If divine intervention is why you won, where did the other 149 lads do wrong

Was lord not cool with him for the other prior events that year. Being bold, not helping enough old ladies cross the street.

Was time previously put into training golf skills each day better to be reused for maximising the divine assistance received for future tournaments?

Your lack of respect is evident so I'm not gonna engage anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Publically stating faith and divine intervention was the reason you won a golf comp is naive and foolish, some of the traits I dislike most in people.

Rory is criticised very heavily here for every single thing that he says.

When someone says what Bubba says, you either take the claims that magic-gods-and-a-two-thousand-year-old-Jordanian-lad-favours-you-over-149-other-guys-in-the-field serious or you dont. If taken seriously then there should be some very basic followup questions:

If divine intervention is why you won, where did the other 149 lads do wrong

Was lord not cool with him for the other prior events that year. Being bold, not helping enough old ladies cross the street.

Was time previously put into training golf skills each day better to be reused for maximising the divine assistance received for future tournaments?

Inclined to agree. Inherent in the pronouncement that the man upstairs helped you win is the inference that He worked against everybody else by default. Im not sure if it's intended (in fact, Id wager it isnt), but it does show a sort of unusual arrogance and is certainly disrespectful to the other competitors, particularly those who themselves are devout believers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Your lack of respect is evident so I'm not gonna engage anymore.

Sorry, just out of curiosity, what is he not respecting?

Also Patrick Reed. Not for the documented reasons though his steady play down the stretch to hold off dechambou at mexican WGC the other week cost me a ~€200 win :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Also Patrick Reed. Not for the documented reasons though his steady play down the stretch to hold off dechambou at mexican WGC the other week cost me a ~€200 win :D
    A fan got ejected from The Player's for asking Patrick Reed to sign his shovel!!

• Advertisement

If divine intervention is why you won, where did the other 149 lads do wrong?

Roadrunner, all of the above, for me, is certainly a contender for Quote of the Week!

Well said. I couldn't have put it better myself.

Advertisement