Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Least favourite pro golfer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

willabur wrote: »
    pound for pound it has to be up there with the sports with the least likeable personalities. The greatest player of all time is a deeply unlikeable person with a long documented record of treating people like dirt. Yet when he twirls an iron and starts walking before the ball is even on the dancefloor is one of the iconic things in modern day sports

Aside from the great (unpleasant)one, I really dislike Hatton, just the way he goes on when he screws up.
    Matt Wallace comes across as a complete prick
    Bryson and Reed are almost caricatures at this stage. Kuchar for the caddie episode alone

Jack Nicklaus is a gent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Poulter, a complete knob.

I've seen Rose's name mentioned, he is an absolute gent, you could not meet a nicer guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Dav010 wrote: »
    Poulter, a complete knob.

I've seen Rose's name mentioned, he is an absolute gent, you could not meet a nicer guy.

It's just that, I'm Justin Rose , the over confident interviews, the slow play , the sun glasses, and then anyone who uses aimpoint goes straight to jail anyway.

Just something about him.

It's just that, I'm Justin Rose , the over confident interviews, the slow play , the sun glasses, and then anyone who uses aimpoint goes straight to jail anyway.

Just something about him.

I can see what you mean, he is actually the opposite away from the camera incredibly pleasant to talk to.

Poulter on the other hand is actually worse. At a pro am organised by Els for charity in Wentworth a few years back, all the pros used young guys from the club/area. They all gave the kids golf gear, balls, in some cases wedges that were at end of use, and of course a few quid. Poulter gave his a signed glove, when Els heard, he pulled him out of the Clubhouse and told him if he didn't give the kid some money, he was to piss off out of the event and he wouldn't be getting any favours in the future. He begrudgingly gave the kid a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Brandt Snedeker - Don't know why - Just the head on him I think.
    Bryson for obvious slow play reasons
    Saw Shane Lowry yesterday and tbh he was being a bit of a p@#ck to his caddy - dont like to see that lack of respect towards people..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Paul Casey Arrogent git, also Eddie Pepperal..and of course the cheater, no time for him

Brandt Snedeker - Don't know why - Just the head on him I think.
    Bryson for obvious slow play reasons
    Saw Shane Lowry yesterday and tbh he was being a bit of a p@#ck to his caddy - dont like to see that lack of respect towards people..

Is Bo on the bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Garcia is a horrible little t1t - that stuff with the spitting, damaging the greens and trashing the bunker leave him public enemy number one in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Oh yes, Casey and Poulter as well - the worst of southern English @rseholes

Could never take to Lee Westwood.

I think this is more of an irrational one as he hasn't done anything in particular, just don't like the look of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Actually rather like Poulter - made the most of his talent and has a bit of character

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Kevin Na, Andy Sullivan. Favs are Jiminez, Fowler and Sned. Don't know any of them, so could be way off

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dr Devious

Darren Clarke, with a camera in view he’s as sweet as pie, without a camera in sight he’s a top of the range grade A r sole. Seen and heard him several times up close and he’s never yet let me down when I had expected a complete and total gob5hyte. If the European tour had a HR dept for players, I’m sure Clarke would top of the pile for complaints.

Harrington.......total gentleman.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

Poulter for me. Love the way he blames cameramen, his own caddie, the crowd and even the birds in the sky when he takes a bad shot. Absolute prick

Dr Devious wrote: »
    Darren Clarke, with a camera in view he’s as sweet as pie, without a camera in sight he’s a top of the range grade A r sole. Seen and heard him several times up close and he’s never yet let me down when I had expected a complete and total gob5hyte. If the European tour had a HR dept for players, I’m sure Clarke would top of the pile for complaints.

Harrington.......total gentleman.

Agree , seen him a few times . To be honest he acted and behaved like he was completely hungover.

Then I was delighted when he won his Open.

Golf is funny , no matter how much of an arse someone is , we can empathise with struggling golfer .

Fundamentally, we are a struggling golfer , without their ability.

To offer a small olive branch to some dudes , at the highest level. Everyone wants , you , your time and a piece of you . Then every clown recording you in a video clip they will never actually use , then the daftness of signatures, corporate days and stupid pro ams.

Their life is amazing, but we don't understand their full responsibilities and pressure.

I'm offering a very kind open door , for some.

I'd still give my left nut to do their job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Agree , seen him a few times . To be honest he acted and behaved like he was completely hungover.

Then I was delighted when he won his Open.

Golf is funny , no matter how much of an arse someone is , we can empathise with struggling golfer .

Fundamentally, we are a struggling golfer , without their ability.

To offer a small olive branch to some dudes , at the highest level. Everyone wants , you , your time and a piece of you . Then every clown recording you in a video clip they will never actually use , then the daftness of signatures, corporate days and stupid pro ams.

Their life is amazing, but we don't understand their full responsibilities and pressure.

I'm offering a very kind open door , for some.

Careful now. You've already given your right nut to have Sergios life and now you are giving your left nut to do their job. Can't be many nuts left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

Players that imo were total "you know what" but are not active in any tour at present include Howard Clark, Damien McGrane in Europe and in USA Steve Pate and Robert Gamez.

People will say why McGrane. Okay I get it he's Irish but he comes across as absolute full of himself and when he shot the course record at Shannon GC let's just say he was a little bit cocksure of himself. Outside of Darren Clarke, he is my least favourite Irish player.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

For me it would have to be Rory......

Sabbatini :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Fatrick and Kuchar for me. Cheating has no place in our beautiful game. Misery comes a close second.

Honourable mentions to Clarke and Monty too, for being rude, boorish, self-important w*nkers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Langer - langer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Players that imo were total "you know what" but are not active in any tour at present include Howard Clark, Damien McGrane in Europe and in USA Steve Pate and Robert Gamez.

People will say why McGrane. Okay I get it he's Irish but he comes across as absolute full of himself and when he shot the course record at Shannon GC let's just say he was a little bit cocksure of himself. Outside of Darren Clarke, he is my least favourite Irish player.
    He won a tournament in China a few years ago by a mile, was very good in the interview after it. Had a decent career for a journeyman. Of the Irish, I never took to Paul Dunne, slow as a funeral, and over hyped

Langer - langer!

Dont know if that is a joke , but must be only person I ever heard of not liking Langer .

Was always a bit slow.
    Long putter can be annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Hatton

An awful plonker every single time he hits a shot that isn’t 100% perfect. He still blames spike marks even after you’re allowed fix them.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭The wonderfish

In no particular order

Kevin Na
    Justin Rose
    Hatton
    Casey
    Willett
    Billy horshel

And the number 1 Grade A assh#%@ is without doubt Darren Clarke and for all the reasons already mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭patob

Christy O'C Snr refused me an autograph back at Irish Open as a nipper so I was not a fan. Also remember Mark James was also a grumpy sod back in those Portmarnock Irish Open days moaning about Grotty Irish weather, giving his caddy a hard time etc. Did I hear that himself and Ken Brown gave Des Smyth a hard time at Ryder Cup.

GreeBo wrote: »
    For me it would have to be Rory......

Sabbatini :P

Don't be so anti-Slovakian

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭newport2

Have often thought about this. I think (perhaps like everyone) I tend to look at it through rose-tinted lenses. Imagine every week

Monday - Travel
    Tuesday - Play the course
    Wednesday - Pro-am
    Thursday - Golf/practice
    Friday - Golf/practice
    Saturday - Golf/practice
    Sunday - Golf/practice
    Rinse and repeat

It would be great for a couple of months, but with a family it would be tough. Unless you were one of the big earners and could pick and choose.

Still, I'd be willing to give it a lash...:D

Back on topic...

Darren Clarke (for all reasons mentioned above)
    Matt Kuchar (any sign of meanness from someone with lots of money is the biggest turn-off in terms of liking someone - I used to like him before caddie incident. They should start chanting "Scrooooge" instead of "Kooooch" at the tournaments)

I was going to mention Bryson De Chambeau, but I think it's how the commentators go on about him that I don't like moreso than him himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

newport2 wrote: »
    Have often thought about this. I think (perhaps like everyone) I tend to look at it through rose-tinted lenses. Imagine every week

Monday - Travel
    Wednesday - Pro-am
    Thursday - Golf/practice
    Friday - Golf/practice
    Saturday - Golf/practice
    Sunday - Golf/practice
    Rinse and repeat

Sounds like my idea of heaven!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

newport2 wrote: »

Monday - Travel
    Wednesday - Pro-am
    Thursday - Golf/practice
    Friday - Golf/practice
    Saturday - Golf/practice
    Sunday - Golf/practice
    Rinse and repeat

Only if you are good enough to get into the pro am.

It is probably a good life if you are keeping your card comfortable but grinding it out on the bubble and making cuts isn't I say.

Clarke is a know as a 1st prize p****

I wouldn't mind the ones who are a holes if they were a hole all the time instead of putting a face on when in front of a camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭newport2

Sounds like my idea of heaven!

Remove the Pro-am and throw in a few bottles of wine/beer and it sounds like a week in the summer when my misses is away with her friends!

Advertisement