Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

**First Years 2013-2014**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Found This Fork Sir

Well, with a name like ficheall, how could he not be affiliated?

Yes, despite my better judgement I have returned to this thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

Just for me <3

Oh naturally, it would never be out of sheer boredom or any such thing, I just had to speak to my new bestie :D

Thats the spirit. Because when my besties turn on me bad things happen to them.

I never would have guessed, you've never shown any violent tendencies thus far.

• Advertisement

Hooch is crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭JonSnuuu

I'm bringing back the corrib topic. Is it really worth going there? I mean, wherever you go you will meet mates (unless you are some kind of antisocial person). But is it true that in corrib you will have the lifetime crack?
    I just wonder that if you spend a whole year in that place, and being a type of a person like me that loves to party. Will it not affect your grades too much? Also how is the whole thing with bringing mates over, it really does sound like being a prison block. A mature man not being allowed to stay with a girl for the night at his place? Madness.. (Please don't reply with a Sparta quote xD)

Seriously, live in corrib. What I'd give to go back to first year and live in corrib all over again. Don't worry about first year exams because:

1. They're usually quite easy to do well in. A few weeks cramming beforehand will get you through them no bother

2. In most cases first year doesn't count towards your degree

Also, for bringing people back (girls or friends or whatever) There are plenty of places where you can slip under the fence or hop over it. Once your past the fence you're in.

Corrib is a bit like crossing the American Border into Mexico, if you can get in the security tend not to care what you do provided you don't go mental. In my year the only time parties were shut down was when they got out of hand (usually freshers week and rag week block parties) But these parties had hundreds of people at them so they HAD to shut them down really.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭NellyDean

1 week til results, the excitement is building. Galway here we goooooooo.

Shhh, results are death.

BRING IT!!!

• Advertisement

No, keep them away, they burn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

JonSnuuu wrote: »
    Seriously, live in corrib. What I'd give to go back to first year and live in corrib all over again. Don't worry about first year exams because:

1. They're usually quite easy to do well in. A few weeks cramming beforehand will get you through them no bother

2. In most cases first year doesn't count towards your degree

Also, for bringing people back (girls or friends or whatever) There are plenty of places where you can slip under the fence or hop over it. Once your past the fence you're in.

Corrib is a bit like crossing the American Border into Mexico, if you can get in the security tend not to care what you do provided you don't go mental. In my year the only time parties were shut down was when they got out of hand (usually freshers week and rag week block parties) But these parties had hundreds of people at them so they HAD to shut them down really.
    I dont like parties and Im not going to live in Corrib, am I doomed socially? (Im awkward and a bad conversationalist, just in case you thought I was an outgoing person)

Just give it to me straight.

HugsiePie wrote: »
    I dont like parties and Im not going to live in Corrib, am I doomed socially? (Im awkward and a bad conversationalist, just in case you thought I was an outgoing person)

Just give it to me straight.

Of course not. You have an insider.:cool:

Of course not. You have an insider.:cool:

Ahh but when you meet me you might hate me (more than you do already) ;)

I think I hate all of 2 people so as long as you dont attack me with a hurl or be a complete prick to me for years we should get along just fine.

I think I hate all of 2 people so as long as you dont attack me with a hurl or be a complete prick to me for years we should get along just fine.

Youre underestimating my awkwardness/' lack of social skills :D

I hate no one for shyness. I can relate.

I'm pretty sure you'll be fine, there'll be all sorts there and loads of other ways to meet people anyway, like socs and things.

Cut your hair and join the rugby team.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Khorbus

Accepted my offer for Business Information Systems. Looks like I'm in :D

• Advertisement

Lucky bollocks :pac:

Cut your hair and join the rugby team.

Like you did?

Yeah, I thought I'd have to wait for the LC results before the offers came out. Didn't realise I get mine earlier for doing a plc course :p

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Like you did?
    Nah I just whiped out the goods. My luscious head of hair doubles as a helmet.
    Khorbus wrote: »
    Yeah, I thought I'd have to wait for the LC results before the offers came out. Didn't realise I get mine earlier for doing a plc course :p
    I would love to have that security right now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 Orla19

Hey, im starting college in NUI a in September, hoping to study nursing.. would love to share apartment with other first years instead of going for the student ones which are v expensive :P If anybody here's interested let me know? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭matthew2008

anybody know what date you can move into corrib village yet? want to move up as soon as pos, so have to hand my 2 week notice into work?

I'm not sure to be honest, but I'd say we'll have to wait until after results before we get dates or anything.

Corrib village rents out their houses during the summer, so you won't be able to move in until a day or two before college begins.

the last day you can rent a house there for the summer is the 24th of august? id imagine thered be a few days to clean and count inventory in the apartments between as well though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 looch_et

Hi everyone,

been following this thread and thought I'd join boards :D
    I'll be living in corrib village and sharing a room with a complete stranger so I thought I'd join and meet some people here xD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

anybody know what date you can move into corrib village yet? want to move up as soon as pos, so have to hand my 2 week notice into work?
    Don't know dates you can move in but best off to contact corrib village here

yeh ormand i gave them a ring, 31st of august is the date apparently :)

looch_et wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

been following this thread and thought I'd join boards :D
    I'll be living in corrib village and sharing a room with a complete stranger so I thought I'd join and meet some people here xD

I think if I tried sharing a room with someone I'd never met before, it would end in murder. You're a brave man :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4 looch_et

Khorbus wrote: »
    I think if I tried sharing a room with someone I'd never met before, it would end in murder. You're a brave man :P

woman :p and thanks :pac:

looch_et wrote: »
    woman :p

It probably should have occurred to me that there was a 50% chance of me being wrong. Anyway, you're a braver woman than I... would be... if I were a woman. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭TheAlkaline

Results tomorrow! Good luck to everyone trying to get into NUIG :)

I have only one response.

D:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kate7464

Hey.

Didnt think id be going to NUIG but didnt get the points for my first choice. Have no accommodation booked. And dont know anybody going there. It says on the website that corribs booked out. Anyone know where else is suitable for a first year who needs to make new friends?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭RoutineBites

Are there many other first years renting privately? I've got a house with three other lads I went to school with. Must say, I think the whole "stay in student accommodation or be doomed to loneliness" thing is a bit overblown. Surely that's the point of the societies and clubs anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kate7464

Are there many other first years renting privately? I've got a house with three other lads I went to school with. Must say, I think the whole "stay in student accommodation or be doomed to loneliness" thing is a bit overblown. Surely that's the point of the societies and clubs anyway?

Where did ye get the house? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

The thing about living with lads from school is that some people tend to just stick to that group and don't attempt to make new friends because it's easier just to stay with the friends you've already made.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sassyball

Hi I am a female first year in NUIG looking to share accommadation with a couple of other girls please pm me ASAP if you want to share

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jabloc

I am starting Marine Science, I have just finished boarding school in Dublin and am originally from London

• Registered Users Posts: 14 pinkfairylady

hey everyone,im starting in nuig in september as well doing midwifery

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lauren mc causland

any body for biopharm chemistry or general science? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭therambler

So whens the first house party in Corrib lads? :P

When ever we find out where your gaff is :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MilkyBird

Anyone for Undenominated Engineering? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Nkerr

So heading back to college after 3 years, not a clue where to be staying?.. dont know a sinner either so any adivce on accomodation etc? cheers:)

Corrib seems to be the place to meet first years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement