Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

**First Years 2013-2014**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭AndyMc

_Talia wrote: »
    No way ? the world is really small. A good few people from Cavan are going to NUIG

3 or 4 from my school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

Hi,

Quick note: It was mentioned a few posts back but If you are looking for accommodation etc it goes into this thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056216375&page=50

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭NellyDean

for the ones who are doing arts, can I enquire as to why you chose arts at galway over other colleges? :)

Good rep and lower points presumably.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭pourquoi

Hi everyone!

Haven't was just browsing and noticed this thread. Look at ye all excited for college! I've just finished my second year here, and I have to say, it's a pretty awesome place. Here's a few nuggets of info for ye some a real life college student *swoon*:

1. Despite what it says on its website, Donnegan Court is not 3 mins walk from the college. While I've never been there, I know it takes about 10 mins to walk from where it says it is on the map. No biggie though.

2. Gort/Dún/Cúirt na Coribe are nice places to live and are about 15-20mins from campus. However, to get from there to campus means you have to cross Quincentenary Bridge, which, during the winter time, is the longest walk of your life--it's totally exposed, so you get totally drenched and wind-swept if the weather is bad.

3. Corrib Village is party central. Don't expect to sleep. While it's always seen as "good craic" and a good way to meet people, it's very damp (the smell of mould during the winter time is vile) and there seems to be a party on nearly every night. If you value your "quiet time", don't go here.

4. Dúnaras is another misleading advertisement. While the accommodation seems to be nice, spacious and of a good standard, it is a looooooong walk to college (approx. 30-35 mins). It's also located in a semi-dodgy area (Westside). I've walked home from there a few times at night and didn't exactly feel safe.

5. Having said that, Galway is a very safe city in general. But at the same time, exercise caution. Don't walk home alone at night, etc.

6. If the cost of living is an issue for you, look into getting private accommodation instead of student accommodation (SA). While bills are included in the SA fees, it still works out more expensive than renting privately. Do your sums!

7. If you're gonna go for private accommodation, start looking as soon as you've gotten your results (or, if you know that you are definitely definitely going to Galway, start looking now). The accommodation officers in the university are always helpful.

8. Don't be afraid to live with strangers. Yes, there's the possibility of them being horrible, but there's also the possibility of being really nice.

9. Don't worry about "meeting people" either. College is the time to find out who you really are. Many of us have come from classes of ~150, most of whom we don't like (don't lie, it's true and you know it). You'll meet hundreds of people in college, especially if you join societies. Some will instantly become your BFFs, others will be acquaintances. Don't be afraid to try new things and introduce yourself!

10. Join societies and clubs. As many as you want. They're all free to join in NUIG, so what's stopping you?! The socs scene is amazing here. I've met so many people here. There's something for everyone, and if you think there's a gap in the market, talk to the Socs Officer about setting up your own society! :)

I think I've said enough for now. If anyone has any questions about life in NUIG, ask them here or PM me. :)

pourquoi wrote: »
    I think I've said enough for now. If anyone has any questions about life in NUIG, ask them here or PM me. :)

Is there a rugby club?

AndyMc wrote: »
    Is there a rugby club?

Sure is!

Here's a list of all the clubs: http://www.clubs.nuigalway.ie/club_profiles/

And societies: http://socs.nuigalway.ie/society_profiles/search/

Any idea if they're like top notch professional sortor if someone completely new can join?

Thanks though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭TheAlkaline

Are the clubs free to join? How do they work?

• Advertisement

I'm not a member of any clubs, but they're free to join on Clubs Day, which takes place within the first week of your arrival.

Clubs and societies are run by student-elected committees.

Anybody can join a club or society, irrespective of their level of expertise--it's all very liberal around here! Clubs often have beginner classes in their respective fields.

Any other questions about Galway? I can offer advice about Medicine too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭No.5

_Talia wrote: »
    Oh it's 535 but my second option is doing it through arts and hopefully getting in during second year so should be ok. Ah well good luck with that!

That's true - everyone is on the same boat in september and sure thats what freshers week is for :D

Heading into final year psychology, I got in through Arts. If you apply yourself you'll be 100% grand ;)

Anyone applying for HEAR.
    You know the way you have to come down for orientation day to NUIG when you receive it.
    And you have to stay for the night, does NUIG provide you with a room or you have to pay for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

I'm not a member of any clubs, but they're free to join on Clubs Day, which takes place within the first week of your arrival.

Clubs and societies are run by student-elected committees.

Anybody can join a club or society, irrespective of their level of expertise--it's all very liberal around here! Clubs often have beginner classes in their respective fields.

Any other questions about Galway? I can offer advice about Medicine too. :)

Is that Get off the Couch soc very active (as in does it happen every week or do 4 people show up for a jog every 2 months, and if they are, what does the club actually do?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭Tarjh

You know the way you have to come down for orientation day to NUIG when you receive it.
    And you have to stay for the night, does NUIG provide you with a room or you have to pay for it?

According to the NUIG website it's an "Orientation Weekend", although the second day seems to be a collection of sports/music/entertainment events. It's on the weekend of Sept. 8-9, and I'm pretty sure first years will start on the 10th, so you'll probably be around for it anyway. I don't think the university will provide rooms for a few thousand first years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Mudmask

I think the HEAR orientation is a separate thing entirely to the regular orientation weekend. I'm not sure about NUIG's take on it but a friend of mine got it for DCU and the HEAR scheme covered the accommodation for the orientation. I'd assume the set up would be the same if you're required to be there for more than just the one day.

• Advertisement

Mudmask wrote: »
    I think the HEAR orientation is a separate thing entirely to the regular orientation weekend. I'm not sure about NUIG's take on it but a friend of mine got it for DCU and the HEAR scheme covered the accommodation for the orientation. I'd assume the set up would be the same if you're required to be there for more than just the one day.

Ok! I get it now ;) Thanks a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 F2224

Hi all, i'm hoping for general nursing this year ! Anyone else in my boat ? Really excited to be fair the college is impressive from my viewing especially the new nursing/med campus :)

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Is that Get off the Couch soc very active (as in does it happen every week or do 4 people show up for a jog every 2 months, and if they are, what does the club actually do?)

From what I understand, the Get off the Couch initiative is run by Student Services. The running club is quite active. Galway City Harriers is a great club too. It's not affiliated with the University, but it meets at the uni sports grounds in North Campus (Dangan). They cater to all abilities, from what I gather. :)

From what I understand, the Get off the Couch initiative is run by Student Services. The running club is quite active. Galway City Harriers is a great club too. It's not affiliated with the University, but it meets at the uni sports grounds in North Campus (Dangan). They cater to all abilities, from what I gather. :)

Thanks :D I'm looking to get fit after a lifetime aversion to anything sporty :o I really need a club for beginners to any sport :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Lepus

I've applied for Arts in NUIG. Second time giving the auld college thing a go. Hello potential classmates!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭MissD93

F2224 wrote: »
    Hi all, i'm hoping for general nursing this year ! Anyone else in my boat ? Really excited to be fair the college is impressive from my viewing especially the new nursing/med campus :)

:D thats my first choice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

Will I die if I join the rugby team?

God I love the sport but if the team is top level stuff then I just dont have the experience to contend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Will I die if I join the rugby team?

God I love the sport but if the team is top level stuff then I just dont have the experience to contend.
    Don't worry about it. Level will be tough enough but not too high. freshers competition is good enough standard and the NUIG 20s/21s play in AIL league and usually struggle.
    How much rugby have you played and to what level? That'll give an impression as to how you'll do at 3rd level in rugby.

Hmm well im 17 and school rugby is all ive really played.

I have trained so I know how to pass and do all the manovers and such so i'm not totally green to it.

How often is training do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Hmm well im 17 and school rugby is all ive really played.

I have trained so I know how to pass and do all the manovers and such so i'm not totally green to it.

How often is training do you know?
    No idea on training etc. Only played against NUIG at 21s the past few seasons.
    what level of schools rugby have you played?
    Turn up in first weeks of college and you'll see the standard. Don't worry. Turn up for the training and see how much game time you get if you're not getting games join Galwegians/Corinthians who've 3/4 Adult teams who you could play for

It was just some very crappy local schools. Wasnt official as far as I know. Only good for getting introduced into the game.

But thanks for the help :)

Out of interest does anyone know if I do a course for a few months in college, dont like it and drop out, do a different course the following year, do I still get a grant for the whole duration of the new course? (Thinking about dropping out already :p)

Thinking about dropping out already :p

I swear to God if you try jump ship on me...

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭MissD93

Out of interest does anyone know if I do a course for a few months in college, dont like it and drop out, do a different course the following year, do I still get a grant for the whole duration of the new course? (Thinking about dropping out already :p)

you have to drop out before the Christmas break is over to get the full grant the following year :) i'm the exact same :rolleyes: not a great start to my under grad life

Bear in mind that your fees are not the only expense to college. There's rent, bills (if applicable), your weekly spend, stationery, books. It all adds up.

If you're not on the grant (like myself), college costs 8,000-11,000 a year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Derick990

I got in on the HEAR scheme last year. The way it worked for us was like this. We came down for a mandatory 3-4 day orientation about 2 weeks before normal orientation. They put us all up in Corrib village for the few days. It was all covered by the college as well as food and everything else. Hope that helps :)

Derick990 wrote: »
    I got in on the HEAR scheme last year. The way it worked for us was like this. We came down for a mandatory 3-4 day orientation about 2 weeks before normal orientation. They put us all up in Corrib village for the few days. It was all covered by the college as well as food and everything else. Hope that helps :)

Savage man! thanks for letting me know!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭JonSnuuu

As a lad entering Fourth Year next year the biggest piece of advice I can give to you ickle firsties is LIVE IN CORRIB VILLAGE! You seriously will make friends for life in those multicoloured blocks.I still live with the lads I met there and you meet so much more people than anywhere else.

Another thing that people tend to overlook is that in corrib, you're only going to be living with other first years. Last year for example I lived in Gort na Coribe (lovely spot) it was me and two other 3rd year lads and two first year girls got thrown in with us. Now they were the nicest girls but you could tell that they needed to be living with people in their own year to experience first year properly! So if you don't want to end up living with lads 2/3 years older than you watch out!

Final piece of advice is don't let the rumours of "Parties every night, no sleep" etc put you off corrib. True there are parties but it's not EVERY night ,all night. If you want sleep you'll be able to sleep, don't worry. At the end of the day it's only first year, you'll have bbigger things to worry about when you reach 3rd/4th year believe me :P

JonSnuuu wrote: »
    As a lad entering Fourth Year next year the biggest piece of advice I can give to you ickle firsties is LIVE IN CORRIB VILLAGE! You seriously will make friends for life in those multicoloured blocks.I still live with the lads I met there and you meet so much more people than anywhere else.

Another thing that people tend to overlook is that in corrib, you're only going to be living with other first years. Last year for example I lived in Gort na Coribe (lovely spot) it was me and two other 3rd year lads and two first year girls got thrown in with us. Now they were the nicest girls but you could tell that they needed to be living with people in their own year to experience first year properly! So if you don't want to end up living with lads 2/3 years older than you watch out!

Final piece of advice is don't let the rumours of "Parties every night, no sleep" etc put you off corrib. True there are parties but it's not EVERY night ,all night. If you want sleep you'll be able to sleep, don't worry. At the end of the day it's only first year, you'll have bbigger things to worry about when you reach 3rd/4th year believe me :P

You know nothing JonSuuuu

Is there any good MMA clubs around in Galway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Gatame

Is there any good MMA clubs around in Galway?

Yeah buddy, Point Blank: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Point-Blank-Submissions/215172268508315?fref=ts

PM me if you have any particular questions, awesome gym with easy going friendly members and great atmosphere in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 RubyT95

Hey I was just wondering if any of you guys know anyone who is looking to rent? I can't afford student accommodation and would much prefer to get a house off campus but I don't know anybody else going to NUIG :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Lepus

RubyT95 wrote: »
    Hey I was just wondering if any of you guys know anyone who is looking to rent? I can't afford student accommodation and would much prefer to get a house off campus but I don't know anybody else going to NUIG :-(

Hi! If I get NUIG, I will be :) I'm 20 (and a girl, think the username is misleading haha) but will be heading into first year Arts. Have a few friends up there already but want to start fresh with new housemates to make the most of the 1st year experience. Been looking on Daft for places around Newcastle. If you're interested shoot me a PM :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 lisa1993

hey,
    This is a really cool thread. Im also hoping to go to NUIG this september to study nursing. :)

@RubyT95 i would be willing to rent a place, the student accommodation is well out of my budget :] , in fact iv been questioning if i can even afford college! But i wont know for sure if i get Galway till the results are out.

@Lepus Thank god there are some others over 18 going into first year :p ill be 20 in October and i was worried there wouldnt be many others my age :D

• Advertisement

lisa1993 wrote: »
    Thank god there are some others over 18 going into first year :p ill be 20 in October and i was worried there wouldnt be many others my age :D

You'll find that age isn't an issue at all, lisa1993. When I was in 1st year, there were people who were 17, and people who were 27! The age gap isn't felt as strongly in college than it is in school. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

You'll find that age isn't an issue at all, lisa1993.
    I'd just like to point out that this is bullshit. Certain people frown upon one trying to get into an eighteen year old lass's pants when one is in one's late twenties.

I was obviously referring to everyday life. We don't all immediately think of human interaction in sexual terms, believe it or not.

Anyway, back to First Year happiness! :D

More acceptable in college than it is anywhere else id wager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I was obviously referring to everyday life. We don't all immediately think of human interaction in sexual terms, believe it or not.
    But you said "at all", which is surely understood to encompass all aspects of "everyday life", no? Had you said "in general", there would have been no grounds for disagreement.
    I'm also sceptical about your second assertion.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Found This Fork Sir

Hey, also planning on Comp Sci like a few already in this thread. I can't wait to start :)

• Advertisement

Hey, also planning on Comp Sci like a few already in this thread. I can't wait to start :)

You are competition. I'll be visiting you very soon.

That sounds threatening. Thankfully, I found a fork which I can defend myself with. En garde! :P

I'll match that with a pitch fork.

Yup, definitely threatening. I am also good at hiding. And running away. Although not very fast, I dislike running. My plan is falling apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Gatame

You are competition. I'll be visiting you very soon.

As are you, my friend... think we have at least 10 or 15 people in here wanting to do Comp Sci now..

• Advertisement
Advertisement