Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NUIG Accommodation *No advertising. Read Post #1*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭hokeypokey

Wish I were a mod. Search the bloody forums before posting. There are literally hundreds of threads like this.

And every time you make a pointless comment on them it keeps them in the boards for even longer, but obviously you don't have much to be at...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

What makes him a keyboard warrior? He didn't threaten you or act the hardman, you just didn't read his post properly and failed to answer his question.

Not that it matters but because he is a noob with 2 posts calling me a smartass.

hokeypokey wrote: »
    And every time you make a pointless comment on them it keeps them in the boards for even longer, but obviously you don't have much to be at...

loads to do which is why i'm here.

any way OP, if you havent searched the forums and found other threads, I would recommend avoid official student accomm entirely. It is over priced and poor quality.

If you can get together with a couple friends, rent out a house somewhere in Newcastle, Corrib Park, even Rahoon. You'll have more responsibilities like bills and stuff, but you'll be far more comfortable. Dont worry about those who say you meet people who know for the rest of your life there. I'm not in contact with anyone I met in Lisdonagh. Havent seen them since we left in May 08.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Let the moderators merge the threads if they see fit.

I've heard good and bad things about Dún Áras. It's supposed to be a nice place to live, but it's location leaves a lot to be desired. It's a good 25 minute walk from the college, bearing in mind that you'll probably be hauling home a bag with books and maybe a laptop.

Lisdonagh is even further away (maybe another 3 minutes, up a hill). I haven't heard anything about it because I only knew one girl who lived there and she dropped out of my course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭MedHead

So I'll be heading to Castlebar on placement next January but will be in Galway for the first semester. Any advice on getting accommodation for one semester only?

There's a good few of us looking and we keep getting told that leases are for the full academic year. I'm heading away for the summer so want to get sorted before then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Could you try make an arrangement with the groups that are in Castlebar now (this semester and the Sept-Dec semester) that will be heading back to Galway next January?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Would you not think of maybe staying in Galway and driving to Castlebar? It's an hour drive away from the university

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

MissMoppet wrote: »

Negatives - Dodgy woodwork,Bug infestation,
    :o
    At least they've sorted out the mouse infestation though!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 NUIGstudent

Hey.
    Going into second year in NUIG. Wondering if anyone can provide info on any of the student accommodations. Other than Corrib Village where I stayed this year.
    Also, the price of the apartments in Centrepoint and Menlo? ...no listings on the websites.
    Thanks! :)

• Advertisement

Oh dear, it's about to kick off...

*ducks*

• Registered Users Posts: 14 guitarman1

incoming 1st year myself . Got turned down by Gort , full they said ( wondering if photo was too creepy ) and got put on a waiting list . Applied to corrib village just today , It can be cancelled up to 25 August so Might look for private house in meantime . Think having definate place takes stress off if can't find any thing else.

...in a good or bad way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Croppy Bhoy

Gort, Corrib and Cuirt are all around the same price. Although you'd be beter off getting a house with friends.

Friends got applications from Gort rejected, so I assume its full. Corrib is for first years. But thanks! Where's good to get a house?

In order of proximity to the college... Newcastle, Shantalla, Westside, Rahoon, Dangan.. or somewhere in town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭DessieMG

Hi, Im from Kildare and thinking about going to Galway to study at NUIG, three of my mates are going to live together in a house in Corrib and they want me to tag along, I'm just wondering should I join them? or is it better to meet new people?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭hokeypokey

DessieMG wrote: »
    Hi, Im from Kildare and thinking about going to Galway to study at NUIG, three of my mates are going to live together in a house in Corrib and they want me to tag along, I'm just wondering should I join them? or is it better to meet new people?

If you get on well with them and don't think they'd leave a mess I would, If you know them well enough. In corrib village you could end up with anyone...:eek:

When I went, you could only put down one person's name to live with. Although I guess you could contact them, or make sure you each put down one of the other's names in the group.

Anyway, you'll meet new people either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭DessieMG

Wahey! same boat :D you want to study medicine? I dunno if corrib is a great place to be if you are :L

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Megan.mcgowan

My two friends and myself are all applying to NUI Galway this year. I was just wondering if anyone knows if Menlo Park Apartments are any good? I havent heard much about it but the place looks really nice and is reasonably priced.. I've heard how much craic Corrib Village is but Menlo is the same price and looks much nicer. Any feedback would be great :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 ledzepkickass

@megan.mcgowan, Im in Menlo this year and returning next year. The positives are that the apartments are nice, in general not too noisy and not a huge walk from town or the college. Most of the people here are american students, who stay for one semester, so a different group move in in january.
    . They tend to keep to themselves in general, not a huge amount of interaction between them and us Irish students which is a pity. Overall menlo is good but theyre a bit too strict in ways, leaving the odd party slide and that would be nice, but in general they dont. Not exactly mad here in terms of the craic, but depending on yourself that might be a good or a bad thing.. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Megan.mcgowan

Great to hear from someone who has actually lived there! i've heard its a bit of a trek from the college but good to know its not! I moved from America to Donegal a few years ago so maybe we'll have something in common :P Thanks a million :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ledzepkickass

Well its 10-15 mins walking, which I dont find too long personally but some people do ha! Thats walking by the dyke road and cutting up on to the quincentennial bridge, walking to the college the long by gort and cuirt na coribe its more like 20 mins. No problem glad to help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Menlo's a fair bit out, i'm out near there this year, and you're looking at about 15-20 mins walk in most days, especially if it's raining. it's not nice crossing the quincentary bridge in that kind of weather.
    i much prefered living in Westside last year. found the walk into town from there was a bit shorter than where i'm living this year

whiteman19 wrote: »
    Menlo's a fair bit out, i'm out near there this year, and you're looking at about 15-20 mins walk in most days, especially if it's raining. it's not nice crossing the quincentary bridge in that kind of weather.
    i much prefered living in Westside last year. found the walk into town from there was a bit shorter than where i'm living this year

More. ex gf lived out there and it would take 25 mins to get to concourse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cats331

I'm an international student, and I'll be studying abroad at NUI Galway for the coming academic year. I'm trying to make decisions about housing. My options are: a twin room in Gort na Coiribe, or a single in Cuirt na Coiribe.

I've heard more about Gort than Cuirt, so if anyone knows about the latter, I'd love to hear about that too. I'm looking for a place that's not all just international students. What's the atmosphere like in each place? Is it easier to meet people in one than in the other?

If any of you know anything about either of these places, and can tell me specifics and recommend one to me, that would be fantastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

GORT for sure! Cuirt is like a fancy prison and Gort is where most of the international students tend to stay.

I live there too so ask me any questions you want :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cats331

are there lots of irish students living at gort as well? Also, I was wondering if gort tends to be loud/have lots of parties- it looks like a fun place

cats331 wrote: »
    are there lots of irish students living at gort as well? Also, I was wondering if gort tends to be loud/have lots of parties- it looks like a fun place

Yup.. They tend to be all mixed in together too, I was living with 2 American girls last semester and 2 other Irish people.

Gort is awesome for parties. Cuirt on the other hand is VERY strict. No parties allowed, if you do have one then security will break it up. No outside guests allowed at night and they have a security guard at the gate stopping non residents from going in.

Gort is the least strict place to live.Anyone can go in or out at anytime.
    You'll only get problems with security if the party is VERY loud but most of the time they just tell you to quieten down a bit or just close your doors and windows to keep the noise in. Their management is fairly sound too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

Basically, I live in Dublin, and have seriously start thinking of going to NUIG for Computers.
    I dont know if this is in the right place, so sorry if it isnt.
    So basically, I need help with accommodation on campus or off?(preferably on)
    What kind of prices would one be looking at?
    Thanks in Advance,
    Mark.

• Advertisement

Most student accommodation seems to be well booked up at this stage.. You'll be going on the waiting list for them I'd say.

Try daft.ie college search for houses

Hmmm, really wish i got my head around this earlier :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Kinky Slinky

Most of the more popular accommodation is booked up at this point, last year I left it fairly late but still got student accommodation, Try Dunaras it's about a twenty minute walk to college but there's a free bus, the prices are fairly reasonable , and the accommodation is nice and spacious.

Sent an email enquiring to them. Ah sure a walk will do no harm, I walk that most mornings to school :)

The computers here aren't that good bro, you could probably get the same or better in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Rent a room in shared accomodation somewhere in town itself. Student accomodation is a shit hole and not any less expensive.

Gort all the way. Cúirt is like a fancy prison complex. Except in prison the internet is faster and they allow you to have more sex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭cat_xx

I live in cuirt. I hate it and I can't wait to move out. Management are arrogant a**holes. The place is clearly made from cardboard aswel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭MissMoppet

I'm in Dunaras atm..Meh Has it good bits and bad.

Negatives - Dodgy woodwork,Bug infestation,crap internet,Drafty,FAR AWAY FROM UNI, have to get taxis after night out, can be noisy, hard to get replies from the office, bus runs at awkward times.

Positives - Good at matching roomates, will make friends,nice security,near to cheap offy, really really comfy beds, big kitchens, bus to uni, Bike sheds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 eimsbgl

I'm going to college next year and other people i know that lived with their friends regret it now because they would've met more people :)
    Still like their friends tho :)
    Hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 monkeyslut

Which is the best place for first years moving to Galway?
    I'm looking into Corrib and Centrepoint. I don't know which one to choose.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭xEmily2011

monkeyslut wrote: »
    Which is the best place for first years moving to Galway?
    I'm looking into Corrib and Centrepoint. I don't know which one to choose.

:confused:

Corrib is the best as far as i've heard :) so i booked there :P Best place to meet new people and all. heard they're also fairly good at matching people to rooms!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Laochra333

Ive got a place in cuirt i know its ment to be fairly strict but how bad is it?

Laochra333 wrote: »
    Ive got a place in cuirt i know its ment to be fairly strict but how bad is it?

The worst in Galway!

ciano1 wrote: »
    The worst in Galway!

I heard that one year, a group of students tried to tunnel out. I heard one even made it to city but was caught. Cant find the video of it at the moment on youtube, but I believe it was turned into a movie. Great Escape or something similar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Hi guys! :D

I'm a 6th year and was looking into NUIG, but I really can't afford the whole €800 deposit thing on top of their extortionate rates, and I'm worried that if I don't live on campus that I'll miss out on all the craic in first year.

Anyone have any ideas? :(

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Hi guys! :D

I'm a 6th year and was looking into NUIG, but I really can't afford the whole €800 deposit thing on top of their extortionate rates, and I'm worried that if I don't live on campus that I'll miss out on all the craic in first year.

Anyone have any ideas? :(

Try and get a place in Dún na Coiribe.... Its literally right beside Cuirt and Gort na coiribe. Theres lots of students living there too and you could also easily pop over to Gort or Corrib Village ;)

Keep an eye out on daft... Dún houses seem to be always popping up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

heard bad things about Dún landlords, not giving back deposits and such. Castlelawn Heights is just above them on the Headford Rd, much cheaper but a bit longer of a walk into college, especially if it's raining.

or try and get a place in newcastle, only a short walk to Corrib Village, and quicker to college. keep an eye on daft and the advertiser site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

What is it with Galway and having booking fees for everywhere :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭xEmily2011

._. wrote: »
    What is it with Galway and having booking fees for everywhere :mad:

Everywhere has booking fees :L It's a deposit so if you mess the place they have something to use to get people in to clean it with at the end :L and so it pays for your gas and electricity and all :) and to secure your booking of the place. It makes sence really :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement