Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Again, (again, again) it begins... (SU Elections)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

Shouldn't Barry Murphy be organising the Trinity Ball not running for another position? I had my ticket booked already last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭King.Penguin

What's the story with the two JCR ENTs candidates? Are they both genuine entrants? They're each others other half on bebo and freinds. Wonder what's up with that.

osd I think education is going to be hotly contested but I'd urge you to reconsider your withdrawal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭osd

osd I think education is going to be hotly contested but I'd urge you to reconsider your withdrawal.
    Thanks for the support but as of 5pm today the deadline for deposits closed.
    I'm in a lot of debt and after repayments on my loans and credit cards from 9 years in college I would have had about e11 a day on food etc. As much as I wanted the job it would have crippled me financially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭King.Penguin

Ah well fair enough. Is a pity. Who would you give your support to now from the remaining candidates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭osd

Ah well fair enough. Is a pity.
    That's life!
    Who would you give your support to now from the remaining candidates?
    I don't think I can name the person by name (early campaigning rules I think) but I firmly believe more than a casual knowledge of the workings of the Union is vital for the education position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

wesclark wrote:
    I have a dozen(ish) posts on b.ie (half for research on an article and the other half arranging a football match)
    One half + one half = sum total, right?

Then where does the shilling of the paper you're the Deputy Editor of come in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

I'd like to interrupt the fun sport of PD-baiting for a moment to recognise Ross (osd) and his announcement of his withdrawal. I had the pleasure of working alongside him for a year, and also being involved during his other terms and while I worked for USI. While his reasons for not taking part in the current elections are perfectly understandable, it's a shame that he won't have a chance to seek full-time office.

Ross is a perfect example of the kind of good, decent person who gets involved in student representation and sticks with it, plugging away at unglamorous and often thankless tasks and campaigns. Students with disabilities had a quiet but determined advocate in our long-serving OSD, and indeed some of the most important stuff that Ross did has never been and will probably never be recognised, at least in the way that organising a party (or whatever) would be.

While there'll be an awful lot of harsh words hurled around in the next few weeks about "no-one likes the SU" and "vote for me to change it" (hell, I did some of that myself in my day!), some people have shown how ignoring the cynics and just working hard (with very little credit) is a clear demonstration that there's life in student politics and student representative activities yet. Like Ross, I'm pretty sure who I'm voting for in the Education Officer race, but speaking personally (and sentimentally), I'm disappointed that I don't get to go and vote for Old Man Wynner, if even just in response for the many things that he did to help me (and others) and in hope that he'd take such dedication and decency into House 6. (Still inaccessible, as he would point out here!)

So anyway, to allow normal service to resume and the eulogies to cease, I'll leave it at that. Cheers Ross, and good luck (name of candidate withheld ;) ).

xeduCat wrote:
    I'd like to interrupt the fun sport of PD-baiting for a moment to recognise Ross (osd) and his announcement of his withdrawal. I had the pleasure of working alongside him for a year, and also being involved during his other terms and while I worked for USI. While his reasons for not taking part in the current elections are perfectly understandable, it's a shame that he won't have a chance to seek full-time office.

Ross is a perfect example of the kind of good, decent person who gets involved in student representation and sticks with it, plugging away at unglamorous and often thankless tasks and campaigns. Students with disabilities had a quiet but determined advocate in our long-serving OSD, and indeed some of the most important stuff that Ross did has never been and will probably never be recognised, at least in the way that organising a party (or whatever) would be.

While there'll be an awful lot of harsh words hurled around in the next few weeks about "no-one likes the SU" and "vote for me to change it" (hell, I did some of that myself in my day!), some people have shown how ignoring the cynics and just working hard (with very little credit) is a clear demonstration that there's life in student politics and student representative activities yet. Like Ross, I'm pretty sure who I'm voting for in the Education Officer race, but speaking personally (and sentimentally), I'm disappointed that I don't get to go and vote for Old Man Wynner, if even just in response for the many things that he did to help me (and others) and in hope that he'd take such dedication and decency into House 6. (Still inaccessible, as he would point out here!)

So anyway, to allow normal service to resume and the eulogies to cease, I'll leave it at that. Cheers Ross, and good luck (name of candidate withheld ;) ).

Here here, and not just for his work for students with disabilities. There are few others who would have given that amount of their own time to help students in their time in college, and he certainly helped me out a lot in my time as Education Officer.

Best of luck to the remaining candidates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Danger Bob

As has been pointed out above, there have been a few pull-outs. Fair play to Daithi for noting Ross's work (even if it's just because it stopped the PD baiting ;) ). He's been a Trojan for the Union for a number of years now and it's a pity he won't be running. And as poined out, the extra work that he did outside of his brief really helped out when it was needed. Anyway, I've edited the list to reflect all withdrawals thus far. Thanks to Ibid for the Bebo links. Helps out my stalking no end.

President

Andrew Byrne
    David Lorigan
    John Tracey

Deputy President

Neasa McGarrigle
    Claire Tighe

Education Officer

Neil McGough
    Bartley Rock

Welfare Officer

Jessica Campbell
    Una Faulkner
    Raymond Healy
    Daire McNab

Ents Officer

Robert Donohue
    Barry Keane
    David Lorigan
    Stephen Mallon
    Ed O'Riordan

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

...Daire paid his 60 euro?? or is that a typo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

So Barry Murphy isn't running then?

Can I ask why everybody seems to thinks John Tracey is going to win? I thought last year he got less votes than John McGuirk? What happened between now and then?

PHB wrote:
    So Barry Murphy isn't running then?

Can I ask why everybody seems to thinks John Tracey is going to win? I thought last year he got less votes than John McGuirk? What happened between now and then?
    I imagine he'll be slaughtered by Byrne.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054894462&page=2

So I too am wondering what John Tracey did to redeem himself from getting beaten by John Mc Guirk last year?
    Or maybe the agent isn't entirely impartial and has some kind of political agenda !!!
    First count

McGoldrick 101
    McGuirk 351
    Murtagh 826
    O'Brien 78
    Quinn 841
    Treacy 348
    RON 120

Thats less than 15% of the vote.... lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭fiveone

Ibid wrote:
    Steven, if you've nothing to add other than a distasteful grunt I suggest you go to the UCD forum.

I apologise. The subtle, refined nature of trinity college hackery really is no place for insidious ejaculations. Over in UCD, SU elections are essentially popularity contests for pretty boys. Those vermin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Ibid wrote:
    One half + one half = sum total, right?

Then where does the shilling of the paper you're the Deputy Editor of come in?

Touché ;) Meh, he's dropped out now so guess that's the end of what could have been some sparky conversations on this thread.

Ibid why did Sean Conway drop out?
    I object to being called that creep's "mini-me"

Sincere apologies for that b.ie. Although you mentioned that you were at the event, I never made the connection and realised that you were the other person sitting at the table. I didn't mean to insult you. I used the 'mini-me' phrase because it was stronger than saying 'randomer', because I didn't know who you were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 printofireland

did Sean Conway drop out for Dep Pres?

If so, shame, he's quite the candidate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Danger Bob

Post above has been edited to reflect David Lorigan's decision to just run for President and Ents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Sorry for going massively off-topic, but:
    mcguirkj wrote:
    Ah, now that's just not true. I only contested one society election in my entire college career, running for Hist censor when I was in first year, which was unheard of at the time. I lost by 6-odd votes, (45-39 if memory serves), which is better than any first year who's run for an officership against a non-first year candidate before or since.

Ah, now that's just not true. Last year, Andrea Mulligan ran as a first year candidate against a second year candidate for the officership of Librarian and won. Given that you lost, I'd say that means someone has done markedly better than you as a 1st year against a non-1st year since. I don't really care enough about proving you wrong to go back and look for someone who did better before, but I'm willing to bet one exists.

Back to the race:
    PHB wrote:

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm also wondering why Tracey would even run again given his resounding slaughter last year; it's not as if any of the three candidates that beat him were especially brilliant, so I can't see any reason why Andy wouldn't have that race in the bag.
    did Sean Conway drop out for Dep Pres?

If so, shame, he's quite the candidate

Hear hear. As Ibid has been revealed as the source of all information on everything ever, I'm hoping for an explanation...

Sean still wishes to contest the election. There may be developments soon.

Ibid wrote:
    Sean still wishes to contest the election. There may be developments soon.

What? That's very obscure. How can he contest the election if he didn't get his deposit in on time?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sleazus

Sean's position on his exclusion from the Dep. Pres. race:
    I was in Portugal with DUBES, and I told Rob that I'd be away when I dropped in the form on the Tuesday. He mentioned about the candidate's meeting on Wednesday, but none of this was mentioned to me. I'm willing to pay the deposit and have been since I got back.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with this, since no one can canvass until next week and the preparations for the election haven't really begun yet. There's no major loss to anyone in putting him on the ballot. He was validly nominated and the campaigns haven't (or shouldn't have) begun yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

has he gotten in touch with Rob? in all fairness, there are rules to be followed, and they do need to be stuck to.

Also, ballots will be finalised for printing very soon i'm sure...

Sleazus wrote:

Where did you get that quote from, just out of curiosity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sleazus

I got it from Sean himself, who doesn't have an account on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Bogger

Sleazus wrote:

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with this, since no one can canvass until next week and the preparations for the election haven't really begun yet. There's no major loss to anyone in putting him on the ballot. He was validly nominated and the campaigns haven't (or shouldn't have) begun yet.

...yet again, the SU (through its Electoral commission) has put bureaucracy before democracy. If Sean's not allowed back, then vote RON and vote often.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Bogger wrote:
    ...yet again, the SU (through its Electoral commission) has put bureaucracy before democracy. If Sean's not allowed back, then vote RON and vote often.

One of the fundamentals of democracy is that it is fair and even for everyone, for that reason rules exist, someone doesn't follow them they shouldn't be allowed in. Him being away was no excuse imo, someone could have put his deposit in for him. He should also have had the common sense to have someone represent him at the candidates meeting to make sure he complies with all rules.

Hrm, if the candidate and the Education Officer (as secretary to the electoral commission) had a conversation, surely the matter of a deposit would have arisen? And I remember writing very long documents that went with nomination packs, setting out the various dates. Including meetings, deposits and so on.

When you sign a nomination form, you are (unless it has changed) accepting the package of rules that regulate elections. If you sign something like that, you have an obligation to read the rules, and to ask for clarification (preferably in writing) if you're unsure about anything. It's not rocket science. I find it hard to believe that anyone could actually read the rules and then not make the necessary arrangements. But maybe I'm thinking too much like a lawyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

One of the fundamentals of democracy is that it is fair and even for everyone, for that reason rules exist, someone doesn't follow them they shouldn't be allowed in.

Yeah, but in this case surely an exception should/could be made? I'm not saying Sean is blameless (certainly, he should have informed himself better of the rules), but it's not as if he breached a major rule that could in any way give him an advantage. Where's the harm (beyond a simple "rules are rules") in letting him compete?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

Hi, the constitution seems to say that the Electoral Commission (EC) could interpret the constitution as they see fit, based on precendent and subject to a decision by the Students' Union Council subsequent to the ruling. There is a document available upon request setting out all precendents established by the EC.
    So that means that if the EC has allowed a late submission of a deposit, tommorrow's SU council may accept or overrule that.

• Advertisement

Last time a Council tried to interfere with the running of an election through exercising overrule power, the whole EC nearly resigned. The idea of having an independent, arms-length commission is so that except in cases of massive abuses of power, someone's right to run (and the rights of other candidates to equal treatment and consistent application of the rules) is not subject to a popular vote, but is guaranteed as a matter of law. So if anyone wants to do that, beware that you play with fire....and enjoy the fireworks.

Advertisement