Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fake watch busters

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Fitz II

20/20 wrote: »
    The box made me look twice. Who will be first to ask about papers.

That type of box is called a coffin, all rolex come in those from the factory and the Dealer unites it with the correct box they keep in stock. If you wanted to pass a watch as "New old stock" having it in a sealed coffin is the ultimate....never been on a persons wrist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭20/20

Fitz II wrote: »
    That type of box is called a coffin, all rolex come in those from the factory and the Dealer unites it with the correct box they keep in stock.

Thanks I had no idea that was the way it worked.

• Moderators Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭Spocker

Nuked, thanks Fitz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Flipping fakes are a disgrace, as you say they detract from the ownership experiance.

What's the unofficial Rolex / dealer network stance on them? You could argue that it places a strong (-er still) premium on the new watch from the authorised dealer where the customer can have absolute trust in veracity of provenance. It's much more of a kick in the hole for the aficionado / flipper on an adverts.ie platform isn't it, you'd think?

The logical conclusion of these ever-improving fakes is that they become virtually impossible to distinguish from the real thing and that the only way you truly know is to buy from ... well, from Rolex GmBH or whatever, straight from the horse's mouth.

I know what you mean about the ownership detraction too. It must be annoying for the first question out of everyone's mouth be "Hey, is that a real one?". Bikes are my thing and there has been a proliferation of Chinese-replica Specialized and Pinarello frames, such that I would not personally buy one second hand, and it has even put me off the brands in a general sense. Everytime I see one in the "flesh" now the "real or fake" question immediately crosses my mind. Lads do the same with carbon wheels - buy chinese unbranded and put whatever manufacturer decals you like on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Lorddrakul wrote: »

Strap is wrong (esp.if whatever is in blue plastic is the clasp) and the bezel colour looks off compared to my own 1, but that could just be the camera.
    Hands seem odd too but photo isn't great, so it could be that it looks off rather than missing gilt

That said, noone is selling a Tudor BB for 100 quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭furiousox

I may be way off the mark here but shouldn't there be "the first watch worn on the moon, flight qualified by NASA" etc on the back of a speedmaster?

https://www.adverts.ie/casual/omega-speedmaster-reduced/22752996

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭893bet

furiousox wrote: »
    I may be way off the mark here but shouldn't there be "the first watch worn on the moon, flight qualified by NASA" etc on the back of a speedmaster?

That’s an automatic speedmaster reduced rather than a manual speedy professional.

Horrible watch, expensive. But real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭furiousox

Ah ok, apologies to the seller then, all legit.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement

Decent video of why it’s important to open the caseback of modern Rolex these days. A lot of work has gone into the external visuals. But it’s easy tell when the back is off.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

893bet wrote: »
    Decent video of why it’s important to open the caseback of modern Rolex these days. A lot of work has gone into the external visuals. But it’s easy tell when the back is off.
    It is 8, if A) you really know your Rolex genuine movements or B) have a fake and a genuine open together to compare. Your average buyer will likely not be too up to speed on A and is highly unlikely to be in the B position. They'll trust the seller, or the "bargain", or sadly they'll deliberately seek out a fake anyway.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Also be warned that there are fakes that get closer on the movement for way under $600. When I see these youtubers with their "$600 fake" or their $1000 fake i'm reminded of a scene from The Guard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

furiousox wrote: »

He's looking for 2.65k for that and I got the real deal for 2.7k.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

Seen a dodgy looking Milgauss and Pepsi there on Adverts..... :)

2shea wrote: »

They are real. Just overpriced. Lots of cheaper ones on c24.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

2shea wrote: »

Just reported them. Look at their history, there’s no way any legit seller can afford that many luxury watches.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    That’s some assumption you have made there tbh
    How do you know what someone can or can’t afford, you’re sounding like a bitter old curtain twitcher neighbour

Look look what the Jones’s got this week in their shopping, bastards only got wholemeal bread and they’ve only got cous cous !! Cous cous can you believe it

:D
    He didn't report them .... :pac::D

Time wrote: »
    Just reported them. Look at their history, there’s no way any legit seller can afford that many luxury watches.

4vycqx.jpg

This one still there.

https://www.adverts.ie/22627701

Seller claims to have had the watch at the jewellers and the watch is real.

He thinks the card is real also but not original to the watch.

I suggested that’s probably something that should be mentioned on the add.....he didn’t respond.

Another “dealer” not to be trusted. There are plenty of these types on adverts.

I stuck a post on the add and I have no doubt it will be removed.

• Advertisement

He updated add, only once he was made though basically.

When he got the watch checked he said they took they caseback off so I assume watch is hunky dory.

He updated add, only once he was made though basically.

When he got the watch checked he said they took they caseback off so I assume watch is hunky dory.

They are ETA movements, very easy to copy the engravings and it would pass muster.

They are ETA movements, very easy to copy the engravings and it would pass muster.

Good point. No more to be done on that one.

Hope for the best for the buyers sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,714 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Even if real it be way overpriced :p

Like the look of them though, I have to say. Came close to buying a slightly older model a year or so ago. But it was also overpriced. Seller was willing to drop 30% off their asking price but it wasn't enough. It's still for sale nuff said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭griffin100

https://touch.adverts.ie/dress/rolex-oyster-perpetual-datejust/22881989

Unusual ad. One year Rolex guarantee, strange engraving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

griffin100 wrote: »

Won it in a raffle too! ...I won a snickers bar in my last raffle

Came here to post same watch. Def snide. Logo on clasp was done free hand.

Always a back story aswell.

“”I found it in drawer, not sure if real”

“Grand father gave it to me”

“Took as part trade for debt owed, not sure if real”

“Don’t know anything about it as I won in raffle”.

His old adds full of snides. Canada goose, Gucci etc.

Must have been a Facebook raffle.....

Gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭griffin100

He has it in Done Deal now.

https://www.donedeal.ie/jewellery-for-sale/mens-watch/27227111

Worth a look for the band engraved Rolex logo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

That's a fake box too

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

At this stage I'm wondering if he looks like this:

funny-cardboard-cutout-family-photos-dalton-ross-11.jpg

:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I just googled boxes and saw this:

IMG-20190405-WA0019.jpg

His has that seam. But other gen ones seem to. But I messaged him and his story is completely bullshít. Not that confirmation was needed for that

Cienciano wrote: »
    I just googled boxes and saw this:

His has that seam. But other gen ones seem to. But I messaged him and his story is completely bullshít. Not that confirmation was needed for that

Did you let him know where he could get better quality fake boxes :p

https://www.adverts.ie/22899025

I don’t understand adverts rules. Are ye not allowed ban people or is there a 4 strike rule.

https://www.adverts.ie/22899025

Thanks, I've removed it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Spocker wrote: »
    Thanks, I've removed it now

And of course banned the seller

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭oknepop

Another Feiko. Don't get the rationale behind making fake watches of low value brands/models.

http://www.adverts.ie/22898974

• Advertisement

oknepop wrote: »
    Another Feiko. Don't get the rationale behind making fake watches of low value brands/models.

http://www.adverts.ie/22898974

Gone, but heres the picture for posterity's sake

ZWUzYTdmMzVhNDQ4YTZmNjM5NTgyMTM5OTI0YjI2NjWqWIOl_3Szf-EBUUtCDdKyaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vNzdjNmM2N2NkMmI4MDYxMWQ4OTQyMmM2NGZkYjcyMjU4MGIzM2Y0YmZlMGRkYmI4OTQ3YWQ4OTg1OGFiNDI4YS5qcGd8fHx8fHw0NzZ4NTI1fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

oknepop wrote: »

+1

Got caught myself, got all my money back, but going forward I can't be bothered doing due diligence on low value watches, so that's Seiko (probably my favourite or second favourite make) out of the window unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭oknepop

unkel wrote: »
    +1

Got caught myself, got all my money back, but going forward I can't be bothered doing due diligence on low value watches, so that's Seiko (probably my favourite or second favourite make) out of the window unfortunately

Was it a turtle by any chance? I remember seeing a few pop up around the same time on adverts and donedeal, last year maybe. Think there was an influx of PADI copies from aliexpress.

https://www.adverts.ie/22912111

Spidy senses

Always a back story

Yep, concerning alright. It looks scarily good in the pics. Probably not so much close up, but the accuracy of fakes is more and more worrying. EDIT I see its been withdrawn.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yep, concerning alright. It looks scarily good in the pics. Probably not so much close up, but the accuracy of fakes is more and more worrying. EDIT I see its been withdrawn.

It might be real. Or else be using real pics.

He will relish now as a clean add again I assume.....

• Advertisement

OmegaGene wrote: »
    The pics looks spot on to me

The story was super sus.....and that one of those where there will be no solid proof, but you would want balls of steel to buy it.

Story went from here is a lovely 41mm datejust to....actually you are right, it’s 36mm, and I don’t own it, and the watch is abroad on Moldova....over a single message.

Might be genuine. But not worth the risk of it having been stolen more than it being fake.

I think you guys have blown this up out of all proportions. Looks to me like a genuine watch and genuine story, but obviously do not buy until you have it verified by an AD / reputable dealer.

It seems a good few sellers on adverts source their watches outside of Ireland. Which makes sense, I guess not much more than a few Rolex watches were sold in Ireland each year back in 1988 when only corrupt politicians could afford them when Ireland was a third world country poorer than Zimbabwe :p

Says the only lad here that’s been caught with a fake of any sort in recent times :-) (that we know of).

Is a reputable dealer going to tell if it stolen? Nope.

Do u you think Thomas would you your money back in two years time when you take it in for a service and it turns out it was stolen. “Dealer”.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

The story was super sus.....and that one of those where there will be no solid proof, but you would want balls of steel to buy it.

As some one commented: there is always a story! Bloody plebs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement