Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€100 Household Charge. Who Pays - Landlord or Tenant?

Options
  • 07-12-2011 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

Well my question is in the title.

I own my own house and also rent out an apartment.

Does this mean that I have to pay €200 or is it suitable that this charge is passed onto the tenant?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

its your charge as far as Im concerned.

Apartment service charges are not paid by tennants and Im sure your not charging your tennant the €200 NPPR charge so why would you think this is any different a situation ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the landlord pays it, although I think it is inevitable that some landlords will try pass it on to the tenants via rent increases

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

D3PO wrote: »
    its your charge as far as Im concerned.

Apartment service charges are not paid by tenants and Im sure your not charging your tennant the €200 NPPR charge so why would you think this is any different a situation ?

Well, its a household charge. I dont live in the household and i gather its aim is an indirect Tax at people who live in houses....Agree on NPPR, BER, Service charges etc....

When is say houses I mean properties....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Landlord has to pay it. Many will try to incorporate it in their rent, however will be able to do so under current leases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

The legislation places the onus on the owner of the property to pay the household charge, so my landlord will be paying it. If he wants to pass it on to me, he's in for a fun conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Landlord pays

Well you can inform the tenant you're increasing their rent to cover it but prepare to get laughed at and then have to deal with vacant periods and finding new tenants
    If you have a good tenant OP, keep them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Newaglish wrote: »
    The legislation places the onus on the owner of the property to pay the household charge, so my landlord will be paying it. If he wants to pass it on to me, he's in for a fun conversation.

Mine wouldnt dare! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

I gather nobody here is a Landlord then!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 chatchick

Its the home owners responsibility!!

I had previous landlords that up the rent to foot THEY'RE bills. And guess what.... i moved to a house. with a responsible landlord!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

I would have thought it would be like TV Licence - occupier pays?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

cailinoBAC wrote: »
    I would have thought it would be like TV Licence - occupier pays?

The tax is a tax on home ownership, not a tax on renting someone else's home ownership.

It is a cost on the landlord, just like PRTB fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Estebano

Check your leases folks. My friend has a clause where he's liable for any property taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Estebano wrote: »
    Check your leases folks. My friend has a clause where he's liable for any property taxes.

That's crazy! More fool him, I say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 237 ✭✭andre2010

Well that lease is legally invalid. The home owner is legally responsible for all taxes on the property. The client could refuse point blank to pay it and there is absolutely nothing the landlord could do about it. Does anyone honestly think a landlord would evict a tenant and risk an unoccupied apartment, even for a month, for the sake of 100 euro.

id imagine some landlords will chance their arm with this one, but good luck to them. although i do agree that the TV licence should be paid by the tenant, the landlord is renting them a property, not a TV, if you choose to have a tv then you should pay it.

i know some really cheap tenants who wont pay the tv licence as a TV was in the apartment when they moved in, even though they use it daily and pay for sky etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭cardol

Has anyone heard that they are going to add the Household Charge to the ESB bills to ensure people pay?

Although, that would mean those not with ESB aren't charged?

Anyway, I'm a home owner, worked all my life to pay off my mortgage and will be damned before I pay the Govt just to live here! :mad:

For those who asked who is supposed to pay, here's a link: http://www.moneyguideireland.com/household-charge-property-tax-more-details.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

andre2010 wrote: »
    Well that lease is legally invalid. The home owner is legally responsible for all taxes on the property. The client could refuse point blank to pay it and there is absolutely nothing the landlord could do about it. Does anyone honestly think a landlord would evict a tenant and risk an unoccupied apartment, even for a month, for the sake of 100 euro.

Why would that be invalid? Just because the landlord is the one that (legally) needs to pay it, doesn't mean they're not entitled to include a provision in the lease that the tenant needs to pay - it's just the case that if the tenant DOESN'T, it's still the landlord that's ultimately responsible

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭eimearnid

My opinion is that it's going to to get messy. This is supposed to be a precursor to a much larger tax that is based on water charges etc basically service charges. I can't see any landlord paying charges of water usage etc for a tenant who will be the only one consuming these services.
    The €100 is get everyone registered, then watch the increase come.....

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

eimearnid wrote: »
    My opinion is that it's going to to get messy. This is supposed to be a precursor to a much larger tax that is based on water charges etc basically service charges. I can't see any landlord paying charges of water usage etc for a tenant who will be the only one consuming these services.
    The €100 is get everyone registered, then watch the increase come.....

I'd say it will end up like the French system. Each property has two taxes - one for the owner and one for the occupier. If you live in your own house you pay both taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

andre2010 wrote: »
    although i do agree that the TV licence should be paid by the tenant, the landlord is renting them a property, not a TV, if you choose to have a tv then you should pay it.

i know some really cheap tenants who wont pay the tv licence as a TV was in the apartment when they moved in, even though they use it daily and pay for sky etc

TV licence is a different matter. Always payable by tenants regardless of who owns the TV.

"Rented accommodation
    If you are a tenant living in rented accommodation with a television you must have a television licence. This applies irrespective of who owns the television (whether the television belongs to you or the landlord). The law states that anyone resident on a premises in possession of a television set must have a television licence."

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/media/tv_licences.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Newaglish wrote: »

My thoughts exactly! lol!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

Mezcita wrote: »
    TV licence is a different matter. Always payable by tenants regardless of who owns the TV.

its far easier for the LL to pay it, and incorporate the cost of a TV licence - like the cost of the mortgage, the cost of maintainence, the Household charge etc.. - into the rent. that way there's no concern for the LL that the licences/charges haven't been paid, and it means there's no squabbling over a tenant sating 'i was only been in the property 6 months, yet i'm paying the 12 months charge'.

keep it simple, keep it transparant.

Advertisement