Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Journalism and cycling

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭JMcL

Fian wrote: »
    My son did his test yesterday.

If i can venture some unsolicited advice - pick your test centre early, then find out the routes that they use (most centres will have about 6 routes that they use for every test) and practice them repeatedly. You will get to know the pitfalls etc, places where you might find yourself in the wrong lane etc.

Aye back in the mists of time when I did mine, the only time I was... ahem... available for the test was a Wednesday morning. Wednesday at the time was half-day in the town (do these still exist anywhere?) and Wednesday mornings were tumbleweed quiet. It nearly backfired as the day dawned and visibilty was about 30m with fog :eek: I did pass though.

I spent about a year in California shortly after that, and had to do a driving test over there as the car hire company wouldn't accept my Irish license for some reason. Complete joke - drive up the road, turn left, then turn around (on a road so wide a Dodge minivan could just do a u-turn) and drive back. Coming back to the point in discussion, I'm pretty sure I was at that point qualified as a Californian driving instructor :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

A nasty assault. Won't do the cause much good but hopefully people appreciate there are bad people using all modes of transport: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/police-hunt-cyclist-who-headbutted-pedestrian-vtpv8mg3z

In case of paywall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1a0yfqcYzo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That cyclist wasn't wearing a helmet when he head-butted that guy. He could have been killed!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,239 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hopefully people appreciate there are bad people using all modes of transport
    having seen the replies under a tweet about this, i think your hope is in vain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Ah nice, a zero emissions headbutt!
    Seriously though, what a dirtbag.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

What a scumbag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Stark wrote: »
    That cyclist wasn't wearing a helmet when he head-butted that guy. He could have been killed!

Nah, if you do it properly, it doesn't hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

This one is not behind a paywall:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/sep/10/police-hunt-cyclist-who-headbutted-pedestrian-in-london

Not a pleasant sight. I wish the headlines were "police hunt scumbag who headbutted man" rather than "cyclist who headbutted pedestrian". But there you go.

He broke a pedestrian crossing badly and at speed, missing the victim by inches before getting off his bike to headbutt him, presumably in response to what the victim said to him.

I predict journal.ie will post the video fairly soon and the comment section will be interesting....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭plodder

He is described as a white man in his 40s.”
    .. at least he wasn't wearing lycra ...

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

...just thought i would point out that the pedestrian deliberately made contact with the cyclist before the cyclist stopped and attacked him. As the pedestrian was crossing he used his right hand to shove the cyclists right shoulder.

• Advertisement

Roadhawk wrote: »
    ...just thought i would point out that the pedestrian deliberately made contact with the cyclist before the cyclist stopped and attacked him. As the pedestrian was crossing he used his right hand to shove the cyclists right shoulder.

On my phone it looks more like he pulls back in shock, maybe I'm wrong

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,239 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the way there's a kind of freeze frame in the shot makes it harder to tell; i assumed it was frozen at that point as it might have offered the clearest frame showing his face?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

All as a result of the violent scumbag who ran a red light to begin with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

This one is not behind a paywall:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/sep/10/police-hunt-cyclist-who-headbutted-pedestrian-in-london

Not a pleasant sight. I wish the headlines were "police hunt scumbag who headbutted man" rather than "cyclist who headbutted pedestrian". But there you go.

He broke a pedestrian crossing badly and at speed, missing the victim by inches before getting off his bike to headbutt him, presumably in response to what the victim said to him.

I predict journal.ie will post the video fairly soon and the comment section will be interesting....

Journal.ie is a place of fair and intellectual comment. :pac:

CramCycle wrote: »
    On my phone it looks more like he pulls back in shock, maybe I'm wrong
    He raised his hand all right possibly in self defence, impossible to know. Either way, it's the cyclist's fault if contact occurred imo, and the reaction was totally unjustified. I hope he's caught and gets done for assault.

I was pretty confident in that prediction, did not feel I was going out on a limb, but I'm surprised to see the journal has resisted the temptation. o.O

There is not the slightest element of blame attaching to the pedestrian in this instance. No way.

The guy on the bike is completely in the wrong, in fact that is an understatement since it suggests he might have only been careless. As posters above put it he is a scumbag.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/sep/11/man-69-jailed-for-knocking-teenager-off-bike-in-road-rage-row
    A man who used his 4x4 to knock down a teenage cyclist before beating him up and trashing his new bicycle during a road rage row has been jailed for six months.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

He only got a 15 month driving ban. That's ludicrous

• Advertisement

maybe it says more about me - but a 17 year old with a two and a half grand bike?
    kids these days mutter mutter mutter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Weepsie wrote: »
    He only got a 15 month driving ban. That's ludicrous

Hopefully that'll see him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭hesker

I found the wording used by the judge to be spot on. Can only hope some motorists get to read it and take note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭buffalo

Hanley’s lawyer, Stephanie Varle, said her client had type 2 diabetes and experienced a sugar low during the incident, which could make his behaviour “unpredictable”. It was a “moment of madness”, she said.

Is this a realistic defence CramCycle? Or just some distraction to throw at the judge?

buffalo wrote: »
    Is this a realistic defence CramCycle? Or just some distraction to throw at the judge?

Its BS. Type 2s rarely experience hypoglycaemia, more an issue for type 1s. For example, if I don't test my blood sugars before driving and every 45 minutes while driving, my insurance is null and void.

Maybe a possiblilty if he was type 1, or a type 2 on insulin/certain meds but highly unlikely but I would err on the side of a distraction for the judge.

I have to imagine admitting to driving while hypoglycaemic to the point where your behaviour has become aggressive and erratic doesn't paint a good picture. Extra reason for being disqualified from driving until you've proven the condition is under control I would have thought. Something similar happened to a friend of mine with a different condition on two occasions and both occasions resulted in him being banned from driving from 12 months so he could prove that the new medication was working effectively for at least a year.

(Similar as in reduced consciousness, not similar as in assaulted someone for the record).

• Advertisement

Stark wrote: »
    I have to imagine admitting to driving while hypoglycaemic to the point where your behaviour has become aggressive and erratic doesn't paint a good picture. Extra reason for being disqualified from driving until you've proven the condition is under control I would have thought. Something similar happened to a friend of mine with a different condition on two occasions and both occasions resulted in him being banned from driving from 12 months so he could prove that the new medication was working effectively for at least a year.

(Similar as in reduced consciousness, not similar as in assaulted someone for the record).

I think the issue is that the guy was type 2, not type 1. Hypoglycaemia is not impossible but highly unlikely. It was a lazy ploy by the solicitor and if the judge had known more (not his fault) he would have hauled the solicitor and client over the coals for BS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭xckjoo

IMO he should never be allowed behind the wheel of a car again. Could have killed that kid

ABC7 New York have a story up about a car mounting a pavement and killing a 10yo boy. Story thinks that the child being on a phone is an important factor. I really don't know what to say when a car mounts a pavement, kills a child and then hits a building and somehow, the child being on a phone is an important factor.

Poor child, and the parents, it is terrifying.

i saw a report (i think on twitter) that this trope of 'distracted pedestrian' being a cause of fatalities does not stand up to any serious scrutiny. must try to find it.

ABC7 New York have a story up about a car mounting a pavement and killing a 10yo boy. Story thinks that the child being on a phone is an important factor. I really don't know what to say when a car mounts a pavement, kills a child and then hits a building and somehow, the child being on a phone is an important factor.

Right up there with the guy wearing earphones who was hit by a crashing helicopter.

• Advertisement

Was the building wearing hi-viz?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Is there a link to this? I had a look and can find a few articles related to a 10yr old being hit by a car, but none mention him on a phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

xckjoo wrote: »
    Is there a link to this? I had a look and can find a few articles related to a 10yr old being hit by a car, but none mention him on a phone.

I saw it on Twitter this morning as well, will see if I can find it again.

xckjoo wrote: »

it was in the video of the news report, not in the printed article. https://abc7ny.com/out-of-control-car-jumps-brooklyn-sidewalk-kills-10-year-old-boy/5529113/

"lost in his cell phone", which is just irrelevant.

Is it as bad as people make out on twitter, I don't know, a kid is dead, not being on his phone would not have made a difference, the concern is that some people will make it out that if the kid waiting for a bus had not had his phone, something would have went differently. I just don't agree. Although I don't think the reporter is trying to make that link, more that he was innocent but others hear it as scape goating. I wrote my post based on written reports, but all I can find is the video now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Grassey wrote: »
    Because the public hadn't enough anger towards cyclists :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Grassey wrote: »
    I wonder who makes this stuff up. "Green party tries to shoot themselves in the face " would be a good headline.... they could just say from general taxation or just do it but saying exactly how they will hurt all the car drivers is not smart.

or else you could phrase that as 'green party proposes green solution which will piss off voters who were unlikely to vote green anyway'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭JMcL

Morning Ireland just had a decent piece about An Taisce calling for efforts to increase the number of girls cycling to school. It's down to 1 in 10 cycling today from 1 in 4 in 1996. They had interviews with a few girls in a Dublin school that actually do cycle as well. Don't have a link yet, but I'd imagine it'll be available later on - I'll update if i get a chance.. It started about 45 minutes into the show

i think it's 1 in 10 cycle to school overall, not 1 in 10 girls. IIRC in the last census, only 800 girls were recorded as cycling to school.

• Advertisement

I heard it and thought it was rather negative. Anecdotally, some schools have a much higher percentage than 1 in 10. Why don't they talk to them and see what works? I suspect (non) uniform policies have a lot to do with it. Again anecdote, but this morning, I noticed a fair number of the girls cycling didn't have helmets. Helmets aren't required. If girls prefer to cycle without them, they should be allowed and encouraged. Put effort into teaching safe cycling practices instead.

plodder wrote: »
    Anecdotally, some schools have a much higher percentage than 1 in 10.
    i would guess a lot of that could be simple geography. my niece goes to a school where - last time i asked, several years ago - only one girl in the whole school was cycling in.
    they have a uniform, but it's also not a particularly easy school to get to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

My own daughter is itching to cycle to school, but even at approaching 11, isn't happy with the bike parking facilities and the inability of the school to stop "the boys messing with the bikes and scooters"

i would guess a lot of that could be simple geography. my niece goes to a school where - last time i asked, several years ago - only one girl in the whole school was cycling in.
    they have a uniform, but it's also not a particularly easy school to get to.
    I'm sure geography is important, but the school I'm talking about (in D3) wouldn't be that different geographically to the girls school in D4 that was mentioned in the report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

JMcL wrote: »
    Morning Ireland just had a decent piece about An Taisce calling for efforts to increase the number of girls cycling to school. It's down to 1 in 10 cycling today from 1 in 4 in 1996. They had interviews with a few girls in a Dublin school that actually do cycle as well. Don't have a link yet, but I'd imagine it'll be available later on - I'll update if i get a chance.. It started about 45 minutes into the show

Funny enough - 1 in 10 sounds about right; 1 in 4 seems extraordinarily high for 1996 though I really don't know....

However
    - Back in 1996 it was absolutely a-ok for kids to cycle on the pavement, or through parks. Nowadays thanks to negative media campaigns amongst other things, there is bound to be some driver or pedestrian shouting abuse at them along the way if they do same. And cycling on the roads really is just not an option for kids.

An additional factor - bike theft is a real big issue these days, and a lot of kids have really nice bikes that they get for Christmas, and don't want to risk them in a the crummy bike lock facilities that a lot of schools have.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0918/1076789-girls-cycling/

aha - it's one in ten students who cycle are female; not that one in ten female students cycle. that makes more sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It's down to 1 in 10 cycling today from 1 in 4 in 1996.
    i think it's 1 in 10 cycle to school overall, not 1 in 10 girls.
    Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Funny enough - 1 in 10 sounds about right; 1 in 4 seems extraordinarily high for 1996 though I really don't know.

It is of those who cycle to school (very few), only 1 in 10 are girls. I see extremely few teenage girls cycling to school on my route, which passes a school, there are less walking these days too. I see an increase in primary schoolkids cycling. Very few males kids are cycling too, I cycle partially on my old route to secondary school and it used to be packed with lads.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    It is of those who cycle to school (very few), only 1 in 10 are girls. I see extremely few teenage girls cycling to school on my route, which passes a school, there are less walking these days too. I see an increase in primary schoolkids cycling. Very few males kids are cycling too, I cycle partially on my old route to secondary school and it used to be packed with lads.

In primary school I would say its more like 50/ 50.

In secondary school - there definitely seems to be a thing of teenage boys and their bikes - they all have the same type, big flash mountain bike from Trek or Giant, bright colours, that they can barely fit on to begin with.

Doesn't seem to be the same thing for girls - will go off piste now slightly and say as a parent of boys and girls that they types of things that are marketed to boys are much more associated with sport and activity and/or computer games; whereas the types of things that are marketed to girls or much more to do with appearance. Part of that is in the mindset of parents also.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement