Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meta Quest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Glebee wrote: »
    Trying to connect Quest to PC. USB 3.0 ports dont seem to want to work on my PC for some reason, seems to be connecting ok on the 2.0 ports. Is seeing the quest connected on the 3.0 ports but when I do a cable test it says there is a problem. When I do cable test on 2.0 port it tells me to try to connect to 3.0 ports.. Is there a big difference speed wise between 2.0 and 3.0? Also im using the Anker cable as opposed to the Oculus one

I've only tried the official Oculus cable unfortunately (USB Type C) so unless someone here can reply it might be worth shooting a post across reddit r/Oculus or r/OculusQuest (I find r/Oculus more friendly)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭Glebee

Still cant get it to connect. Keeps crashing out whether it connected over 2.0 or 3.0. I downloafed the steam vr performance checker and that tells me PC is more than capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭kerplun k

The fake elite came today, first impressions, I’m not mad about it. It feels a bit rigid at the back. The OG is a bit more flexible. I’m playing Phantom: Covert Ops at the moment, it’s a stationary game, So I should know after a few sessions if it feels better than the strap.

Got myself setup with a dedicated router yesterday for Virtual Desktop. Asus RT-AX56U.

I have my PC upstairs and the router is plugged directly into it. No external internet connection going into the router so it's just a local network.

I then have my playspace downstairs using my Quest 2.

My Quest 2 connects to the 5Ghz wifi on the router.

Ive deleted all other wifi signals so it's just the local wifi I'm using.

I'm getting 18-22ms latency using this setup and it works wonderfully even considering that the signal is coming from upstairs.

But what is more is that I'm completely disconnected from Facebook and if my fake account is blocked it won't stop me using the Quest 2.

Happy days! Time for some Lone Echo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

I haven't seen it mentioned here, but it is worth using a vpn and checking the prices of games in different regions of the Oculus Store. There doesn't appear to be any really cheap regions like with Netflix, but I have found that the Canadian Store offers the best value. For example, today I got the New Year's sale pack for €38 by going through the Canadian Store. It is €49 here and £39 in the UK store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Still cant get it to connect. Keeps crashing out whether it connected over 2.0 or 3.0. I downloafed the steam vr performance checker and that tells me PC is more than capable.

Having the same issues. One message refers to the ''Rift'' is this normal considering its a quest I have?

Dante7 wrote: »
    I haven't seen it mentioned here, but it is worth using a vpn and checking the prices of games in different regions of the Oculus Store. There doesn't appear to be any really cheap regions like with Netflix, but I have found that the Canadian Store offers the best value. For example, today I got the New Year's sale pack for €38 by going through the Canadian Store. It is €49 here and £39 in the UK store.

Going through the app or buying from the website?

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Opened my quest on Stephen's day and we've enjoyed just messing about in the first steps app so far. The kids have gotten competitive on the shooting game in first steps. I got emails today about the new year sale, as well as a one off welcome discount. I'm thinking I'll buy the Richie's plank experience. Any non violent shooting game recommendations to follow on from the first steps shooter?

RonnieL wrote: »
    Opened my quest on Stephen's day and we've enjoyed just messing about in the first steps app so far. The kids have gotten competitive on the shooting game in first steps. I got emails today about the new year sale, as well as a one off welcome discount. I'm thinking I'll buy the Richie's plank experience. Any non violent shooting game recommendations to follow on from the first steps shooter?

Superhot is superb. Not really violent as enemies are glass. Try the demo. Space Pirate Trainer is a straight up wave shooter like first steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭spankalish

What age are people on the quest 2? Just curious. I just ordered one for a look. I'm in my 30's, I don't know anyone else with one right now. Haven't done any gaming in a few years.

• Advertisement

spankalish wrote: »
    What age are people on the quest 2? Just curious. I just ordered one for a look. I'm in my 30's, I don't know anyone else with one right now. Haven't done any gaming in a few years.

seems to run the gamut from teenagers to boomers

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭spankalish

mrcheez wrote: »
    seems to run the gamut from teenagers to boomers

Cheers I'll give it a go and see. If it's not my thing I'll sell it on. It does look pretty cool though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

spankalish wrote: »

I'm a "little"(a lot) older than 30 and love using the one I bought for the Kids :)

I'm a "little"(a lot) older than 30 and love using the one I bought for the Kids :)

Same here, its a brilliant piece of kit, unreal what it can do. Being playing Population One when the kids go to bed. Wife thinks ive lost it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Same here, its a brilliant piece of kit, unreal what it can do. Being playing Population One when the kids go to bed. Wife thinks ive lost it.

Since the last lockdown I’ve been dancing in fitVR, I can only imagine what my wife thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Space pirate trainer is brilliant but very hard especially if you don't have space to move around

Have tried a second connection cable and still no luck getting headset to connect to PC, tempted to go the virtual desktop route but dont want to waste 20 euro for the app if I still cant get headset to connect:(

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,155 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Do you have a laptop with usb 3.0 ports you could try it on or anything? It sounds like the ports on your PC are goosed, best thing is to try it on another machine to rule out an issue with the headset itself.

I have 2 nr 3.0 ports. When I connect to 3.0 ports its tells me that it can see the headset. Then when I try to test the cable it says unable to test. Then when I connect to an ordinary 2.0 port its tells me that it can see the headset, can preform a cable test but advises that I would get better performence if I connect to 3.0. The thing is I still cant connect over 2.0 usb so something is not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I think you can use the original charging cable to do link nowadays, obviously it might be too short to be really usable but would let you test one possible point of failure. If it worked you'd probably be certain it is a cable issue rather than something wrong on the computer end...

• Advertisement

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I think you can use the original charging cable to do link nowadays, obviously it might be too short to be really usable but would let you test one possible point of failure. If it worked you'd probably be certain it is a cable issue rather than something wrong on the computer end...

Good idea, but charging cable has type c connections at both ends, unfortunately I dont have type c on my PC

Have tried a second connection cable and still no luck getting headset to connect to PC, tempted to go the virtual desktop route but dont want to waste 20 euro for the app if I still cant get headset to connect:(

You can refund Virtual Desktop if you use it less than 2 hours and less than 14 days after purchase, in case it doesn't work out.

Definitely worth it. I have an official Link cable, but it's untouched.

Just make sure you have a good router. Check the one I referenced earlier if you need to upgrade, it even works through floors/rooms!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Good idea, but charging cable has type c connections at both ends, unfortunately I dont have type c on my PC
    Does it? Thats a bit odd...

Can you get a link cable thats just a normal USB connection on one end (fits into a USB port on a laptop)?

Thargor wrote: »
    Does it? Thats a bit odd...

Can you get a link cable thats just a normal USB connection on one end (fits into a USB port on a laptop)?

yeah the Anker one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-PowerLine-Durability-Devices-Including/dp/B01M5GMZ6X/

or they have a longer version afaik

Trying to connect Quest to PC. USB 3.0 ports dont seem to want to work on my PC for some reason, seems to be connecting ok on the 2.0 ports. Is seeing the quest connected on the 3.0 ports but when I do a cable test it says there is a problem. When I do cable test on 2.0 port it tells me to try to connect to 3.0 ports.. Is there a big difference speed wise between 2.0 and 3.0? Also im using the Anker cable as opposed to the Oculus one

Do you have developers mode set through the app? Seems to be a solution on the reddit

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thanks, Im surprised there wasnt more people giving out about that online tbh, not many pcs have a port like that, even a brand new high end gaming rig.

Thargor wrote: »
    Thanks, Im surprised there wasnt more people giving out about that online tbh, not many pcs have a port like that, even a brand new high end gaming rig.

yeah I actually didn't know I had one! Thought it was a Kensington lock on my laptop but turned out to be a Type C port :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

I bought the Quest 2 and Anker link cable together, Quest arrived before Christmas, still no sign of the cable, very annoying. All I have are 1m type-c.

Homelander wrote: »
    I bought the Quest 2 and Anker link cable together, Quest arrived before Christmas, still no sign of the cable, very annoying. All I have are 1m type-c.

any chance it's held up in customs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I have the Anker cable, works grand, just remember to enable the PC link on the Oculus settings!
    Mostly using VR Desktop wirelessly these days, the missing piece for me was to setup a dedicated 5ghz hotspot from my laptop with the Quest as the only client, nice and simple with a powerline adaptor going back to the router for internet.

Advertisement