Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail jobs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Candlelight12

Hi,I've the medical assessment in few days for Bus driver position in Ballina,is the visit involves in urin test?Just asking as i take medication for adhd and I'm afraid of a false positive☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭jumpinjohnny85

If you're on prescribed medicine it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 LaCla

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭jumpinjohnny85

They do for Irish rail anyway. I'm assuming it's the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

As part of the medical, I'd assume they'll ask you about your adhd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Gammyeye

Just been invited for medical, after line manager interview 5 weeks ago. Delighted. Hope the medical is fairly straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Alpha1-1Cretty

***Irish Rail driver applicants*

Invites are beginning to be dished out for the pen and paper assesments following the SCAAT, RAAT and SJT online assesments.

By the grace of God I've been invited.

Best of luck to everyone waiting on theirs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Is that through email

• Registered Users Posts: 16 smithymk11

You seem to be the only one . I've heard nothing along with most others I've asked .

What type of scores did you receive was it all above average ?

Best of luck going forward.

I also got invited to the next phase (next week in Inchicore)

They don't give you your scores, but you'd have to assume if you're invited to the next round that they were indeed above average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Silent Strike

Did you do the optional RAAT-verify test before getting invited to the next phase? I got that email from opc also and thought I might as well just do it. 🤷🏻

@Jesus Shaves

Recieved through email. Not from the OPC but directly from IÉ themselves. Search "Driver" in your email list just incase you've missed it. Deadline for confirming you've received the email is tomorrow so just ensure it's not lurking in spam.

@smithymk11

I've yet to receive any feedback email from the OPC though that must be said. They might be out of slots for this in house assessment round. I still maintain that no news is good news so hopefully you recieve something in short order.

@Silent Strike I haven't done that yet, I'm still deliberating as to whether or not I will do it. It's definitely not a requirement for getting invited. It's 100% optional. They're not trying to be sneaky with that dont worry.

For anyone else reading this I hope you get the results you desire. If it doesn't work out don't be discouraged. Try again the next time. I was fully prepared for bad news and I just got lucky it seems.

Yes, I did it. The questions are the same as the original RAAT

• Registered Users Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

What date did you complete the online assessments? I got the additional RAAT email too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

I never noticed an email from Irish rail but I definitely didn't receive an email that I didn't pass the online tests however could've missed the email, thanks for the answer

Not sure, it was a few days before new applications closed.

@Jesus Shaves

I imagine if you still haven't been told you failed they're just waiting for more assesment slots.

I could be wrong tho. Stay positive. You're not out until they tell you you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 slowclap

I waited six months to be invited to an assessment in inchicore after doing the online assessments. Nearly a year later I’m still waiting for the line manager interview. Patience is a virtue. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Earl22

What tests are for this stage, I'm not sure but I think it's a Railway Written Communication Exercise (rWce) and a RAAT test?

• TRFS – Trainability for Safety Test
    • TRP(p2) – Trainability for Rules & Procedures Test Part 2
    • rWce – The Railway Written Communication Exercise

• Advertisement

@Earl22

Like @[Deleted User] stated it's:

TRFS - Read something for 10 minutes. Reading material is taken away from you. You then have to answer multiple choice questions on what you read (like RAAT but harder) within a semi reasonable timeframe.

TRP(pt2) - 3 Pie charts with cables coming out of each colour. The test tells you what order they should be counted in. Your job is to write the order using Left, Middle or Right. Answers are multiple choice. Within a semi reasonable timeframe.

rWCE - This is a 2 parter. You listen to a report twice and take down the important points, you then have to write a report using the notes you took while being timed of course

rWCE Part 2 sees you listening to a report (or reading it, Ill have to double check that shortly so I know for Friday) and writing the important details into a pre templated report form. Again this is timed I think.

The TRFS is the only one that can be gruelling according to some drivers I've spoken to and as far as I can assess from the practice material.

All of this is to determine if you are actually trainable as it's stated that people who don't do well on these will struggle too much in the classroom.

Hope this helps bud. If you're invited to inchicore this week or the start of next week; lean into the discomfort this anticipation brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 magi2407

Got feedback from the OPC, LDSJT I had ability to make judgements like a typical person, RAAT was above average and Miniscaat was good speed I missed some target letters. I guess that's where they failed me considering otherwise the feedback was much better than my feedback last year yet this time I didn't get invited to assesement center (Last time failed on 16pf). I'll try one last time next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

All of this is to determine if you are actually trainable as it's stated that people who don't do well on these will struggle too much in the classroom.

Load of corporate bollix, the ones who ace these are good at doing aptitude tests, that's all, it doesn't follow they end up being good drivers. They are only a blunt instrument to whittle down numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 magi2407

I don't think going down that road is a good choice. I am of course dissapointed since you put all the effort, get good feedback yet are left waiting months again but you have to deal with these things and move on , I managed to bag a job in the aviation industry while doing tests last year so I'm in a more comfortable position I guess. But still can't hold anything against the people who get through , best of luck to them and hope they go on to enjoy the job.

Good attitude to have. And you wouldn't be the first to apply three times before getting it. Working in the aviation industry would also be a good plus when at interview stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 simpsonsimo

Hi, I haven’t got as far as the medical yet in my application but I am just wondering is there any chance of passing it if you are colour blind or is it a no hope situation?

I have only recently found out I am colourblind through a medical for a different job I was also applying for at the same time.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

You can't be a train driver if you are colour blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Rootsblower

not a prayer of getting the job if colourblind

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Yoshimi79

For train driver position - I got an email from the OPC to say I've met the standard for the online tests, and the application will now be handled by Irish Rail.

Is it usually a long wait to hear anything back from Irish Rail? It also says that success on the online tests doesn't guarantee an invite to the next stage!

• Advertisement

I think you need to make a large cup of tea and read the last ten or so pages of this thread.

Advertisement