Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I bowed out well before it but apparently it becomes fun once you get mind control powers or something which also break the game and make it really easy.

A bit like life really.
    A challenge until you join Scientology, develop Tom Cruise witching powers and life is then easy peasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

I have been posting in the old thread.. oops.
    Anyways I found this on t'internet

10484040_351742338345688_9019472603766986518_n.jpg?oh=770956f4420eccf24affff27a3f46df1&oe=55795D6B&__gda__=1435450067_aab21cf46d52a9deb1243f013d6248e8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Cork Opera house last night. Last place id expected to see astroids and bezerk cabinets :) Looks like Ryan Adams shipped em over from the states...

kevin2me wrote: »
    Cork Opera house last night. Last place id expected to see astroids and bezerk cabinets :) Looks like Ryan Adams shipped em over from the states...

Ryan Adams is a massive pinhead,
    He has a Metallica pinball build into a flight case that goes on tour with him :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Ryan Adams is a massive pinhead,
    He has a Metallica pinball build into a flight case that goes on tour with him :eek:

Go away. Leasts theres a star spending his millions on something important haha pins and arcades!!!

I dont know how cabs survive the tour. I cant move them from room to room without a fault breaking my heart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Makes me want to get a VIC 20 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

But are you keeping up with the Commodore?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Commodore owners, such smug b@stards, we Spectrum owners were far happier!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

Very cool.
    flyer102a.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Commodore owners, such smug b@stards, we Spectrum owners were far happier!

It's mad, in all my years I have yet to see a speccie in the flesh, let alone play one! Was all c64 and cpc464 round our way.

Then smellyfinger turned up with a pc playing prince of persia and the goalposts got moved again!

• Advertisement

Los Lobos wrote: »
    It's mad, in all my years I have yet to see a speccie in the flesh, let alone play one! Was all c64 and cpc464 round our way.

Then smellyfinger turned up with a pc playing prince of persia and the goalposts got moved again!

If you've seen a colour CPC464 running you'll have an idea of a Speccy, much the same but with much better colour capabilities.
    However, the Spectrum was more popular for longer so there's a lot of earlier stuff that never made it over, but later on the Amstrad got improved ports of most things.
    The Spectrum is well emulated via flash so there are plenty of places at the end of a Google search that'll let you play the classics but be prepared, the games seldom age well but, at the time, it was magical!
    Knight Lore, Quazatron, Dynamite Dan II, 3D Star Strike and it's sequel, Tau Ceti and it's sequel Academy, a great version of Elite, a great version of Chase HQ and, frankly, a better version of RType than the format deserved.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,842 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hardcore Gaming 101 says Batman Returns isn't quite up there with Streets of Rage 2, therefore it is true:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/batman/batmanreturns.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Quick question lads. Recently found a mega drive i bought my wife a few xmases ago and we want to hook it up to our new smart TV to play some sonic. I don't have an antenna for the rf lead so whats my best approach?

Cheers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,842 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Get a proper RGB scart cable from someone like consolegoods.co.uk on his site or ebay. Whatever you do don't get a composite lead.

Hardcore Gaming 101 says Batman Returns isn't quite up there with Streets of Rage 2, therefore it is true:

NOOooooooo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

OfYGY.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Killer Japanese cover.

batmanreturns-sfc.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Is that a common opinion? That Streets of Rage II was better than Batman Returns?

I enjoyed Batman much, much more.

Corholio wrote: »
    Is that a common opinion? That Streets of Rage II was better than Batman Returns?

I have enjoyed a fungal outbreak between toes much much more than Streets of Rage II !

Corholio wrote: »

Not so much a common opinion, more so the correct opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Not so much a common opinion, more so the correct opinion.

giphy.gif

Yeah, Retr0 is mean, opinionated and judgemental.
    More so than one would expect for a guy who, on occasion, has worn a Japanese schoolgirl uniform.... ;)

Yeah, Retr0 is mean, opinionated and judgemental.
    More so than one would expect for a guy who, on occasion, has worn a Japanese schoolgirl uniform.... ;)
    You sure that wasn't actually just ..... on a bender?

I have started in the past though that I have softened my stance on SoR2, but the original? Still don't like it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

After our house renovation is complete later this year I'll have the attic to myself as a dedicated entertainment space. I Plan on having most of my consoles hooked up then. Problem is I hate throwing stuff out but I'll have no room for all the empty console boxes.

I don't like the thought of just putting the Megadrive and 32X boxes in the bin. Same for all the other consoles. Anyone else have lots of stuff that they should throw away but haven't?

EDIT

All these recent negative comments on SoR2 is just baffling.

After our house renovation is complete later this year I'll have the attic to myself as a dedicated entertainment space. I Plan on having most of my consoles hooked up then. Problem is I hate throwing stuff out but I'll have no room for all the empty console boxes.

I don't like the thought of just putting the Megadrive and 32X boxes in the bin. Same for all the other consoles. Anyone else have lots of stuff that they should throw away but haven't?

EDIT

All these recent negative comments on SoR2 is just baffling.

I don't think there's a lot of negative comments, just mine, and I further qualifies them as well.

There's a market for the console and game boxes, you should throw them up on adverts, ebay or even our Marketplace here.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I plan on getting the attic done this year too, but im gonna have the little doors into the attic space left at the sides, im going to get the dude doing it to fully insulate and wall those areas as well so I can store my boxes.

Listening to the retronauts about videogame series that jumped the shark and it's refreshing to hear a group of people hate on MGS4. I thought it was pretty terrible but it came out at a time when PS3 owners would take whatever exclusives they could get over the 360 and fawn over them because they had nothing much else (just look at the fawning over the mediocre Resistance Fall of Man in the PS forum at the moment).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

hUXt4pv.gif
    c6vjjv1.gif
    HyO2fRa.gif

• Advertisement

Since when did the original PS1 controller not have any Start or Select buttons?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

Got to love Nintendo's innovation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Since when did the original PS1 controller not have any Start or Select buttons?

I think that's because of the way the PS4 controller morphs back into it and the placement of the start and select buttons on the PS4 controller. You can see them quite briefly before it changes into the dual shock controller.

I'm assuming that they used the younger more handsome Dualshock 3 rather than his older idiot brother the Sixaxis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

The poor banana gets no love:

yiqj3R6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Nor should it! Looks ridiculously uncomfortable!

• Advertisement

It also forgets the myriad official controllers made by third parties for the carious consoles.
    Namco have played a blinder over the years tbh
    They made both my favourite, the NeGcon, and my most reviled, JoGcon, controllers for the PS.
    They also made my little paddle controller for Namco Museum and some great arcade sticks.

So many name changes in the past 3 months!
    I canny keep up the power cap'n!

I don't know who is who any more!

And couple that with ubiquitous icon changes as well!

What's going on people?

Should I join in?

What username should I change mine to?

ColostoMe/ColostoU?
    DribblingSphincter?
    SoRgloryDenier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

ColostoMe/ColostoU?
    DribblingSphincter?
    SoRgloryDenier?

Dr. Zan

Star Lord wrote: »
    Dr. Zan

I had to look that up

You're on my list now Star Lord.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

How about xXxCyDeRbABe2k15xXx

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

So many name changes in the past 3 months!
    I canny keep up the power cap'n!

I don't know who is who any more!

And couple that with ubiquitous icon changes as well!

What's going on people?

Should I join in?

ColostoMe/ColostoU?
    DribblingSphincter?
    SoRgloryDenier?

I was just thinking about that yesterday when EnterNow/Myrddin mentioned Keithgeo/Optimus in a different thread. Boards should block long time users from changing their name or avatar, too confusing! :D

I blame Luas Dublin for starting it all. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Andrew76 wrote: »

He totally did, followed shortly by Achilles :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Boards should block long time users from changing their avatar, too confusing! :D

I think changing the avatars is worse or 2 people having the same. That's what I look at. I keep calling people by the original usernames

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I think changing the avatars is worse or 2 people having the same. That's what I look at. I keep calling people by the original usernames

I've avatars turned off, no idea what anyone's one is, I remember brownfingers one was a Wizzard, surprised when I met him he wasn't wearing the cloak!

I just found out, Sam Simon, one of the guys who made The Simpsons quite possibly the biggest pop culture driving force on television, died from cancer. All I can say is, I wish his family well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Appropriately and cheekily immortalised in the show itself:

TS1ES-Simon.jpg

Appropriately and cheekily immortalised in the show itself:

TS1ES-Simon.jpg
    Are you sure that isn't John Swartzwelder? I hear he's fairly reclusive.

Or became Ron Swanson. Whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Ah stop changing usernames and avatars, its very confusing ! What are ye all running from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I think if a regular changes username they should at least come on the general thread here and re-introduce themselves :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Myrddin wrote: »
    He totally did, followed shortly by Achilles :D

Is he Mr. Vestek now or someone else?

+1 Sera. :)

Or sometimes I associate someone by stuff they've said that sticks with me.

EnterNow = Because I can't pronounce new name. Soldering iron. Vettel lover. ;)
    Cidey = Buy it/Trade it/Buy it again.
    Atavan = Pokemon.
    Nerdkiller = Writing a thesis about how cack Amazing Spiderman films are.
    Readyletsgo (?) = delusional chap who thinks Sonic is better than Mario 64.
    JU = Film dude, mentally scarred by old-man-in-cinema. Handy at shmups though.
    o1s1n (where's he gone?) = Metal Slug.
    Dino =Fedora wearing burlesque-frequenter. Fukushima cake.
    Sparks = Captain Blackbeard with his 3DS.
    Jack = Wily Wars burger man. Also strips for cash.
    Retr0 = Fubar school-girl outfit.
    Stinkyfinger = Was a candy lover. Now a Pinball addict.
    Keithgeo = The Woody cab man.
    Cathal = Woody Cab man 2 (maybe Keith's bro :D).
    Doge = Can't remember previous name. Wish he'd change his avatar. :D
    Steve = One of something isn't enough.
    Last Bandit = Jamma man.
    Star Lord = Damo el Diablo (I think it was).
    Sera = Limerick.

:o

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement