Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flu vaccine

1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

If it was being done for free then yes I would get it but it costs me €50 to visit the doc so unless I really need to go there I try to see them as little as possible.

It should be free but as usual taxpayers are entitled to nothing.

Pharmacies are doing it cheaper, only issue is most are only giving to those in the at risk group, or kids.

I paid €25 to a pharmacy before appointment was cancelled due to lack of stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭Frankie19

If it was being done for free then yes I would get it but it costs me €50 to visit the doc so unless I really need to go there I try to see them as little as possible.

Its usually a nurse in your GP clinic that gives it.....not your GP. You are charged 25euro and not a full gp visit fee as you don't see a doctor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,671 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

There might be cheaper options as a few of you have suggested but I still say it should be free for everyone, there seems to be hundreds of millions available to send to corrupt countries overseas instead of spending it on the health needs of the people here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

There might be cheaper options as a few of you have suggested but I still say it should be free for everyone, there seems to be hundreds of millions available to send to corrupt countries overseas instead of spending it on the health needs of the people here.

An extra pharmacist has to rostered to cover the shop while one does the vaccines . €25 is not a lot to pay for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,671 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    An extra pharmacist has to rostered to cover the shop while one does the vaccines . €25 is not a lot to pay for that

It is when money is tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I take immunosuppressing medicine for an autoimmune disease yet I can't seem to get an appointment to have the flu jab anywhere, not my GP or local pharmacies.
    My fit and healthy husband however got the flu jab in work along with about 100 others curtesy of his job.
    Not sure how a private company can purchase that many vaccinations but GPS and pharmacies can't get the stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,161 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ms2011 wrote: »
    I take immunosuppressing medicine for an autoimmune disease yet I can't seem to get an appointment to have the flu jab anywhere, not my GP or local pharmacies.
    My fit and healthy husband however got the flu jab in work along with about 100 others curtesy of his job.
    Not sure how a private company can purchase that many vaccinations but GPS and pharmacies can't get the stock.

Interesting.
    Laya have provided free vaccinations in my workplace last few years as we have corporate plan with them.
    This year we were told there was a shortage and to try make own arrangements. We could claim back the cost as a business expense.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Ms2011

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Interesting.
    Laya have provided free vaccinations in my workplace last few years as we have corporate plan with them.
    This year we were told there was a shortage and to try make own arrangements. We could claim back the cost as a business expense.

This is the first year his job has offered their employees the flu jab.
    Just frustrating trying to source it for me and my kids, I would have thought the more vulnerable would have been made a priority and then they would have worked their way down to the less vulnerable :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭COVID

Frankie19 wrote: »
    Got it yesterday from my GP. 30 weeks pregnant,booked it 4 weeks ago and yesterday was the earliest they could schedule me in. Usually get it every year anyway as asthmatic but if I wasn't pregnant this year I probably wouldn't have bothered to allow someone who needs it more to get it. Also looking at Australia and the S Hemisphere their flu season was non existent this year due our new behaviours thanks to covid.

Arm a bit sore and had a banging headache for a few hours after it but today I feel fine.

Best of luck with the baba!

• Advertisement

Something wrong with that, definitely. Money talking.

With this kind of thing going on around flu vaccines we may expect something similar when Covid vaccines arrive. I remember back in March at the start of the pandemic hitting Ireland, and even symptomatic medical staff couldn't get tested, entertainment figures (associated with a certain agency) seemed to have no problem getting tested. Money and influence talks in this country as elsewhere, we may predict more of the same only people will be very exercised when it comes to Covid vaccine priorities.

I presume private companies source the vaccines from a different company

The HSE buy so and so many and distributed it as it came in . Frontline and over 65 got it first the anyone on the vulnerable list . I presume the HSE are waiting for a new delivery now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

There’s a European wide shortage of it due to spikes in demand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

Any vaccine for the Chinese virus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Xtrail14 wrote: »
    Any vaccine for the Chinese virus?

The Chinese and Russians each have one, if you want to try it. Should have good data before the end of November on the first one coming through Phase 3 trials in the UK/US. I presume you mean Covid 19.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Just on this...

You do realise that vulnerable people and medical card holders pay tax as well?

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Just on this...

You do realise that vulnerable people and medical card holders pay tax as well?

As do pensioners . I paid tax for 50 years and still do .

Copied from the Covid vaccine thread...

The HSE has suspended distribution of the flu vaccine to GPs and pharmacies after it emerged that claims for 600,000 doses are missing.
    In a letter sent to doctors and pharmacists on Monday, the HSE said that approximately 1.3 million vaccines have been distributed to date, but only 700,000 of those have been recorded as administered vaccines on the claims system used by healthcare professionals to reimburse costs. As a result, it is not clear whether or not the remaining 600,000 vaccines have been administered.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/hse-wont-release-any-new-flu-vaccine-jabs-as-600000-go-missing-39732344.html

How could you lose 600,000 vaccines?

440Hertz wrote: »
    How could you lose 600,000 vaccines?

Yes I don't know what's going on... were they lost, not distributed, distributed but not recorded as such...

• Advertisement

They would want to sort it out as this is a dry run for the covid vaccine in terms of how their distribution system works.

I assume they must have been delivered and somehow there’s a recording mess. You couldn’t physically lose that number of any injectable.

I got mine at Boots, which I booked online way back in early September before the campaign even started and they would have recorded my dose against my PPSN, which I assume all pharmacies and GPs do.

Boots were in touch to reschedule previously cancelled appointment to next week, so some new stocks of the vaccine are about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Is the Flu Vaccine available now for your average joe?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Is the Flu Vaccine available now for your average joe?

I'm still on GP waiting list.....can't find a pharmacy who has stocks for Joe soaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

I'm still on GP waiting list.....can't find a pharmacy who has stocks for Joe soaps.

One near me said they get the bulk of each order flagged for hse patients only and a few for private patients (that day was 20 received, 17 for hse, 3 first come first serve for everyone else - I got lucky and rang them up in time to get the last "private" dose of that delivery but assuming that each delivery is similarly divided up, all I can say is keep ringing your local pharmacies, and get onto their waiting lists if possible. I happened to get a call next day from another nearby pharmacy saying my turn had come on their waiting list, but having just gotten my jab, I let them know that I no longer needed it and to give it to the next one on the list)
    Funny enough the local GPs here won't even take wait lists for non hse patients, for any reason (at least those I rang up)

Low uptake of nasal flu vaccine in under 12s ... pharmacists ask for age limit fir free vaccine to be increased to 18 before unused vaccines expire in January.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/vaccine-teenagers-flu-5276530-Nov2020/

Advertisement