Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Level 3 and kids

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I know there's risks involved but I really hope any call is balanced off against kids well being too. I know from my lads they are stuck in the bubbles all day in school, PE etc is restricted compared to before too. So there is a lot to be said for getting them out for an hour or two a week where possible for a bit of training.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

neddynasty wrote: »
    We had 20 at training last Saturday. Split them into 2 pods of 10 in separate areas of the pitch and in those pods we broke the 10 into 2 fives for the drills. So not much standing around. We replaced the matches with fun games like round the world, snatch the bacon and tail tag. So we still cover some of the skills/drills and then had a bit of fun too while still getting a run around. I know you can't beat matches but it worked out OK.

My view, getting any more out of the season at this stage is a bonus so no need to focus on what you can't do or that it'll all be boring with drills. If you want a bit of competitiveness to replace the matches, setup some relay races. Just have fun for the last few weeks and don't be putting yourself under pressure.

Tks - would these be non contact though? The group I am with is a bit older I think.....

rpurfield wrote: »
    I know there's risks involved but I really hope any call is balanced off against kids well being too. I know from my lads they are stuck in the bubbles all day in school, PE etc is restricted compared to before too. So there is a lot to be said for getting them out for an hour or two a week where possible for a bit of training.

All the feedback I am getting is that if they are not at training, they'll be at home on the XBOX, particularly as the evenings get darker.

The other thing - we've had an established group for the past 5 or 6 years, this is the first year that numbers have actually jumped.

A lot of other sports are cancelled indefinitely - they are indoor, they rely on schools for facilities and the schools wont let them use it this year etc....

On a related note - I do hope that the county councils will be a bit more flexible on keeping pitches open after a drop of rain, given that so many other sports are gone at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Tks - would these be non contact though? The group I am with is a bit older I think.....

We're U7 so all the drills are covering basic skills. It's all non-contact but there is some incidental contact but it's not possible to stop that. I looked at all the drills and games we've done over the year and tried to see what ones didn't have contact and, for the ones that do have contact, how can we alter them to remove the contact. As an example, for the 'Snatch the Bacon' game, 2 players are involved for each turn and previously they should compete for the ball at the end. We changed the competing bit so there are now 2 balls and whoever picks their ball up first gets a point for their team.

I took a few games from here and alerted them:
    https://www.ballinteerstjohns.com/images/pdfs/Coaching/warm-ups.pdf

We're U7 so all the drills are covering basic skills. It's all non-contact but there is some incidental contact but it's not possible to stop that. I looked at all the drills and games we've done over the year and tried to see what ones didn't have contact and, for the ones that do have contact, how can we alter them to remove the contact. As an example, for the 'Snatch the Bacon' game, 2 players are involved for each turn and previously they should compete for the ball at the end. We changed the competing bit so there are now 2 balls and whoever picks their ball up first gets a point for their team.

I took a few games from here and alerted them:
    https://www.ballinteerstjohns.com/images/pdfs/Coaching/warm-ups.pdf

Fair play, it needs a bit of thought.

• Advertisement

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Fair play, it needs a bit of thought.

It takes a small bit and sometimes it'll work and sometimes it won't work at all. I've had a couple of training sessions this year that have been an absolute shambles but you try to learn from them. With the restrictions this year you just need to try things out and be prepared to fail and move on.

It's U7's we're dealing with so as long as they're having fun and the the vast majority register next year for U8, then I'll take the year as a success. If we can keep them coming back year after year then there'll be plenty of years available to help them learn the skills and improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

It takes a small bit and sometimes it'll work and sometimes it won't work at all. I've had a couple of training sessions this year that have been an absolute shambles but you try to learn from them. With the restrictions this year you just need to try things out and be prepared to fail and move on.

It's U7's we're dealing with so as long as they're having fun and the the vast majority register next year for U8, then I'll take the year as a success. If we can keep them coming back year after year then there'll be plenty of years available to help them learn the skills and improve.

In all fairness the GAA rules around covid are BS. Even if you do the pods and do no contact training, the kids are all over each other. You try as best you can but once someone in the club gets it, its all over.
    There are a few things that don't work with social distancing.. drinking beer, sports and kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,927 ✭✭✭threeball

In all fairness the GAA rules around covid are BS. Even if you do the pods and do no contact training, the kids are all over each other. You try as best you can but once someone in the club gets it, its all over.
    There are a few things that don't work with social distancing.. drinking beer, sports and kids.

Far less risk for kids than there is at school. If someone gets it and you have to finish up then fair enough but people should try to keep active. The benefits far outweigh the risks.
    There's far too much fear around and scaremongering. Yes there is a cohort of people for who the risks are unacceptable but for kids and the vast majority of young adults the risk to their health from inactivity is far greater. I saw young lads of 12 years old who came back to training after the last lockdown a stone overweight and others barely able to run. They're only getting back to normal now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

threeball wrote: »
    Far less risk for kids than there is at school. If someone gets it and you have to finish up then fair enough but people should try to keep active. The benefits far outweigh the risks.
    There's far too much fear around and scaremongering. Yes there is a cohort of people for who the risks are unacceptable but for kids and the vast majority of young adults the risk to their health from inactivity is far greater. I saw young lads of 12 years old who came back to training after the last lockdown a stone overweight and others barely able to run. They're only getting back to normal now.

And yet i saw some kids outside playing in their gardens for the first time ever during covid

And yet i saw some kids outside playing in their gardens for the first time ever during covid

Is it the kids or the parents that are wierd in that situation. Its certainly not the majority in any case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Yes I agree far less risky and parents are feeding their kids crap but what is really important now is that the kids stay in school, get educated and people stay in their jobs. Granted sport is important for mental health etc but education and money in people's pocket come first imo.

I don't see this as scaremongering because we don't know the full effects of this virus and that is a problem.

Anyway we called off our training this evening with rising cases in the area and doing training would only lead to more cases. The world is a mess with this virus.

Yes I agree far less risky and parents are feeding their kids crap but what is really important now is that the kids stay in school, get educated and people stay in their jobs. Granted sport is important for mental health etc but education and money in people's pocket come first imo.

I don't see this as scaremongering because we don't know the full effects of this virus and that is a problem.

Anyway we called off our training this evening with rising cases in the area and doing training would only lead to more cases. The world is a mess with this virus.

We've pretty much written off a year. Next year will be the same. I think by this stage we have a pretty good idea of what the virus is and what it can do. If we don't then a vaccine won't be worth a damn anyway and all those trials are hitting the brakes pretty hard in the last month. Oxford and J&J both halted due to unexplained illnesses in participants.
    Hugging lads, drinking out of cups, pub crawls, all mental sh1t to even contemplate but it was done and was totally wrong, I just don't see the point in calling off a training session for kids. It will achieve nothing in terms of virus control.

Seen a few kids like that myself after lockdown. I'd hazard a guess their parents are the type to watch a training session from the sideline with the sunglasses on and a coffee in the hand, happy out that they've ticked the "my child is getting some exercise" box. Not in their nature to take the kids out for an hour themselves during lockdown and run around with them.

So Level 5 from midnight Wednesday and the school going kids are still allowed to train in their pods. I did not see that coming!

We finished last Saturday with the U7s based on the assumption training was going to be stopped anyway. Finished up with an hour of fun & games. We were going to finish up on the 31st anyway so only missing a couple of weeks. I don't think I'd be comfortable bringing the kids together again with the country in Level 5.

Advertisement