Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy bar bell

Options
  • 20-09-2020 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

is it possible to get a heavy bar bell for 1 inch diameter weights, the current bar bell I am using is only 5 kg in weight, I would like to get a bar bell 20kg if possible

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It would be very specialized if you did find one, so I would expect it to cost a hell of a lot more than just buying more plates. It would likely be a special wide diameter bar. It would have to be ridiculously long otherwise to reach 20kg with the usual diameter they are.

Why do you want this? if you want a thick bar I would recommend using "fat gripz" or similar devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

A 20kg bar is going be at least 25mm for the bar itself and the sleeves will be bigger so it's highly unlikely you will get a 20kg barbell that will fit plates with 25mm holes

rubadub wrote: »
    Why do you want this? if you want a thick bar I would recommend using "fat gripz" or similar devices.

At a guess, I'd say they have an Argos type set with light bar and they want a heavier bar to use with the plates

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

It would be very specialized if you did find one, so I would expect it to cost a hell of a lot more than just buying more plates. It would likely be a special wide diameter bar. It would have to be ridiculously long otherwise to reach 20kg with the usual diameter they are.

Lol, it would be about 20 ft long. I doubt they make them that long, at any rate it wouldn't be very practical.

Op, you don't need a heavier bar. Just put more weights on the end of it. That's the whole point of a barbell.

• Advertisement

antix80 wrote: »
    Lol, it would be about 20 ft long. I doubt they make them that long, at any rate it wouldn't be very practical.

Op, you don't need a heavier bar. Just put more weights on the end of it. That's the whole point of a barbell.

The barbell I bought was a cheap Elverys bar and it's very light. I'm looking for a heavier barbell that the weights I have will fit. Is it a case that there is no such heavy barbell available to buy

Tomjim wrote: »
    The barbell I bought was a cheap Elverys bar and it's very light. I'm looking for a heavier barbell that the weights I have will fit. Is it a case that there is no such heavy barbell available to buy

If you did the bar would have to be way thicker, which many would have difficulty using, some prefer it but its not the norm.

I don't why you don't just get more weights rather than a different bar. Are you running out of space on the actual bar to fit more? I got 20kg plates for mine so you can fit more weight on, rather than a row of small plates taking up room.

Your 5kg bar must be solid at that weight, and not the hollow ones which can bend easy enough, I have had about 145kg on a cheap solid standard bar before with no problem.

If you did the bar would have to be way thicker, which many would have difficulty using, some prefer it but its not the norm.

I don't why you don't just get more weights rather than a different bar. Are you running out of space on the actual bar to fit more? I got 20kg plates for mine so you can fit more weight on, rather than a row of small plates taking up room.

Your 5kg bar must be solid at that weight, and not the hollow ones which can bend easy enough, I have had about 145kg on a cheap solid standard bar before with no problem.

When I go to the gym I can lift more weight overall using the heavier bar than I can when I'm at home when I use the lighter bar

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

When I go to the gym I can lift more weight overall using the heavier bar than I can when I'm at home when I use the lighter bar

Some gyms turn the gravity down to save on electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭scilover

you sure is a good weightlifter. I mean is that 20kg is the heaviest? and you just jump from 5 to 20. what a leap!

• Advertisement

Are you sure of the weights of the bars you are using in the gym, many presume them to be 20kg but they are often less, I have read of people miscalculating before. Also there can be variation on the actual plates themselves.

The gym likely has good quality olympic bars with rotating ends. I have only used these a few times but imagine it might make some lifts easier to do and so you can manage more weight.

Your gym bar might also be thicker which some would find easier, a narrow bar is going to dig into your hands more and could me more uncomfortable.

https://ifpa-fitness.com/about-us/ask-dr-bell/standard-weight-lifting-bar-vs-olympic-bar/
    Standard Weight Lifting bars are one inch (25mm) in diameter on the end and the middle shaft.
    The ends of an Olympic Bar are 2 inches in diameter (50 mm). The center portion of an Olympic Bar can range from 28mm to 32mm or one and a quarter inches. There are also specially made one inch (25mm) bars, made for women.
    Olympic Bars are made with revolving ends or what is refer to as “Sleeves,” to diminish or eliminate “the torque” on the bar. This is very important on fast, explosive movements such as the Power Clean, Clean & Jerks, Snatches, etc., where you need the bar to rotate quickly. It is also helpful on exercises where your grip needs to rotate slightly like the Squat or Deadlift.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

I think if you want the proper bar then you will need the proper plates to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Save up for a proper bar and plates. It's probably not what you want to hear, but that 5kg bar is just gonna bend eventually if you keep adding weight and then it will have no resale value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Daemonic

I used to have a Mens Fitness 7.5Kg standard bar from Argos which would bend ever so slightly at 120Kg. That was the max it could physically fit too using 10Kg plates. It was the heaviest standard bar I found for sale anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,088 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Exactly. It would bee to be about 39mm wide, based on length 2.1m

A solid bar would be 9-10kg, based on 26-28mm wide.
    So a 5mm bar is hollow to a degree, but maybe heavier gauge that the cheapest.

OP get more weights.
    Or invest in Olympic bars

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

If you plan on using the barbell and weights into the future do yourself a favour and buy an Olympic bar with weights to suit. I bought an Olympic set 10 years ago, secondhand, along with a squat rack and bench for about 500 euro, best 500 I ever spent. Will last a lifetime and the young lad is starting to use it now so probably last two lifetimes...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

Anyone recommend a good site / shop to get olympic bars and plates? Thinking of investing - not now, but sometime in the future when I have some space.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Op you could always get a metal fabricator to make one from stainless steel. If it was 7ft long which is standard, then the fabricator could weld 2 discs each side to make the weight up to 20kg. These discs would also be the stoppers for your plates if that makes any sense. They could also knurl the bar.
    But, that’s a lot of work and expense. You could always ask for a price though.
    If you’re planning on lifting heavy going forward then I would suggest an Olympic bar as others have said

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Op you could always get a metal fabricator to make one from stainless steel. If it was 7ft long which is standard, then the fabricator could weld 2 discs each side

Would those discs be 7.5kg weight plates by any chance?

antix80 wrote: »
    Would those discs be 7.5kg weight plates by any chance?

I’ve no idea tbh. Whatever weight makes it up to 20kg.

• Advertisement

Im looking around to buy weights, I came across these, please see link below
    This is exactly what i'm looking to buy
    Is this considered good value?

https://www.fitnessequipmentireland.ie/product/deal-100kg-rubber-tri-grip-7ft-bar/

Im looking around to buy weights, I came across these, please see link below
    This is exactly what i'm looking to buy
    Is this considered good value?

https://www.fitnessequipmentireland.ie/product/deal-100kg-rubber-tri-grip-7ft-bar/

It's not a bargain and they're not in stock.

are they good quality and would they last, are they as good as the olympic ones

Anyone know the best value that can be got on weights, total weight of 100 kgs

Anyone know the best value that can be got on weights, total weight of 100 kgs

To buy or sell? Plates are notoriously expensive. Lots on sale on eBay

To buy

I came across a set in gym gear for 400 euro. Is this good value?

Anyone know where there is good value for olympic weights

Also why is there such a variation between the price of the olympic bar bells, for example I can buy a new one for €180 but there are second hand ones on done deal for €200, are there differences in quality

Also why is there such a variation between the price of the olympic bar bells, for example I can buy a new one for €180 but there are second hand ones on done deal for €200, are there differences in quality

There are very much differences in quality and specification.

You don't necessarily have buy a super high end one but if you're going to buy one, buy one that you'll have for a long time.

I was thinking of paying €400 on a bar and weights, see the attached link, would this be good value
    https://gymgear.ie/product/cardiopro...MfjNd3DE8h1ogk

Is the quality good enough on this and is this price range what I should be paying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

I was thinking of paying €400 on a bar and weights, see the attached link, would this be good value
    https://gymgear.ie/product/cardiopro...MfjNd3DE8h1ogk

Is the quality good enough on this and is this price range what I should be paying?

'Page not found'

Advertisement