Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

H'on de Déise... if we don't win today, at least we'll have been shown our weaknesses and can address them in the quarter finals. Pressure's off because we're not expecting to win, but at the same time these young guys don't seem to have any problem with self doubt! Hoping for a really good showing anyway, you never know!

Jesus,what id give to be there

Fcuk coronavirus.....great to see us in a munster final.however....my first to watch at home since 1998

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,926 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

come on waterford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

I noticed Shane Bennett is not involved with Waterford.... I know he dropped out during Derek McGraths time.... what’s the story?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Not a bad result at half time! Good to see Waterford putting it up to Limerick but will need more in this half, especially playing against the breeze. Cmon the Deise!!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Good effort so far. Need to stop those balls into Gillane but easier said than done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Tadgh De Burca is some tank of a fella

Happy enough but Limerick never seem to bloody miss when they get the chance

We need a good start for the 2nd half. That's the time Limerick start too punish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

We'll need goals to win it and it's hard to see where they'll come from. Fingers crossed though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Who's meant to be playing midfield with barron??

Need to start fast after this water break. A quick goal would be nice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Good showing, if we get Clare in QF I'd fancy us and then have a crack off KK in semi final

Very proud of the lads, we died with our boots on .I'd take Clare over Tipperary but its luck of the draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭skaface

Good performance, we'll learn from these games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Great performance, shame dessie got no ball played into him. Must of only had 2 touches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

skaface wrote: »
    Good performance, we'll learn from these games

It was Definitely the limerick white board at the ‘sos uisce’ that gave them the edge in the end......despite Marty and Duignan adoration during the first half Re the rapid hand passing etc they are not unbeatable.....very good performance by Waterford particularly taking into account the wind advantage LK had in 2nd half and the 20pt plus bearings we got of them last year

Need to sort the puckouts

Wasant Aussies day and hopefully he learns from this, if he pulls a strop i can't seen Cahill taking it

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    It was Definitely the limerick white board at the ‘sos uisce’ that gave them the edge in the end......despite Marty and Duignan adoration during the first half Re the rapid hand passing etc they are not unbeatable.....very good performance by Waterford particularly taking into account the wind advantage LK had in 2nd half and the 20pt plus bearings we got of them last year

Taking off Jack Fagan a major turning point for me... Waterford forwards lost their shape and direction when he went off... I’d say Stephen Bennett who had been so influential didn’t score anymore after Fagan went off... and Limericks half back line came the game into big time.... after being under serious pressure for most of the match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Micky Bluenips

PTH2009 wrote: »

Wasant Aussies day and hopefully he learns from this, if he pulls a strop i can't seen Cahill taking it

If he pulls a strop Cahill shouldn't take it why would he? If Aussie had any hurling brains he could be running the show like Tony Kelly does. Good team performance though in fairness to them. The ball Limerick give in to Gillane and mulcahy is the the type of ball we need to give to dessie.

Good effort today. Serious work rate. Most of us probably would have taken a performance like that a few hours ago but now feel disappointed that we couldn’t get over the line. The water breaks didn’t help us at all. One thing that hasn’t changed under Cahill is that we’re still very reliant on Bennett who seems to be able to always work himself into the game. He hit some great frees today and kept the scores coming. Big improvement though and Jack P was again excellent.

One crucial moment I think was when Bennett was through the middle and Aussie made a great run and Bennett just gave the pass a little too late. I’m sure Aussie could have stuck a goal if he’d got it earlier. Fine margins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Why all the posts about Aussie pulling a strop. Sure not everything went for him today but he still chipped in with 3 points and gave his all.

Great attitude and effort from everyone today. One of two more scoring forwards and we would be serious contenders.

Why all the posts about Aussie pulling a strop. Sure not everything went for him today but he still chipped in with 3 points and gave his all.

Great attitude and effort from everyone today. One of two more scoring forwards and we would be serious contenders.

Lad above mentioned strop i just replied to that I didn't say he had strop. Got 3 points anonymous otherwise. He Just needs to read game better in my opinion and get on more ball in space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Lad above mentioned strop i just replied to that I didn't say he had strop. Got 3 points anonymous otherwise. He Just needs to read game better in my opinion and get on more ball in space.

If the rest of the forwards got 3 points from play we'd have won it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Alf Tupper

If he pulls a strop Cahill shouldn't take it why would he? If Aussie had any hurling brains he could be running the show like Tony Kelly does. Good team performance though in fairness to them. The ball Limerick give in to Gillane and mulcahy is the the type of ball we need to give to dessie.

Gillane, Mulcahy and Casey can win ball anyway you give it into them.

Dessie can't. He was anonymous today for the most part. He got three beautiful angled balls and was muscled out of two of them. he got a great point from one.

He's needs to work harder, hooking and blocking and go looking like Mulcahy and Casey.

Cant't believe he stayed on the pitch. Cahill won't be so indulgent again. All the other lads worked their arse off.

• Advertisement

If the rest of the forwards got 3 points from play we'd have won it well.

Your dead right boy.

Alf Tupper wrote: »
    Gillane, Mulcahy and Casey can win ball anyway you give it into them.

Dessie can't. He was anonymous today for the most part. He got three beautiful angled balls and was muscled out of two of them. he got a great point from one.

He's needs to work harder, hooking and blocking and go looking like Mulcahy and Casey.

Cant't believe he stayed on the pitch. Cahill won't be so indulgent again. All the other lads worked their arse off.

Winter hurling not going to suit him, the difference with Limerick is they have three lads all a major threat. We only have one true inside forward.

Very harsh on a lad playing his second championship match.

We pushed,what is regarded as the best team around to pin of their collar for 58 to 60 mins and had them in uneasy ground....if we had better forwards to get a 5 point lead etc,seems to me,they would panic and were beginning to make all sorts of bad decisions and handling errors already

Add likes of shane bennett,pauirc mahony,mikey kiely,aaron ryan etc to that team,

I honestly believe we have a massive chance of seeing a waterford man lift the liam mccarthy,next augest

A limerick v galway all ireland semi,will be.a massive battle.....this championship is still wide open for an outsider to make the final

Dessie was being marked by a lad who won all stars in 2018 and 2019. Give him a break. He got poor service and comparing him to Gillane is a bit much! Even John Mullane needed the right ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 PF28

Will you get out of your Walter Mitty head and stop talking absolute sh**te. Austin Gleeson didn't come near pulling any strop, and walked off the pitch when he was substituted clearly with no problems. Where you get and make up this crap from in your head is dangerous.
    The man scored three points and if had a set position would have had a lot more.

Well done Austin.
    Great "team" performance from every single Waterford man out on that pitch today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 JD 60

Barron couldn’t get going at all ; not like him. Thought Stephen Bennett was immense and likewise, TdB at the back (ably assisted by McNulty).

Same old failing of not being able to win ball in the air in the forwards.

Strange that neither keeper had a shot to save.

Could be some battle on the field and sideline if we draw Tipperary , Cahill and Beavens are doing a great job with us and no doubt we will see them with Tipperary in the future. Clare will be playing there 3rd week in a row next weekend.

Saying that we still have to be at our very best

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Liam Cahill is only in the job six months all told and got more out of these lads today than previous management did in 5 years - we went up against a more experienced and developed side and didn’t hide and with a bit of luck in the opposition box the result could have been very different - small margins - very proud today and look forward to next day out - pride was restored to Waterford hurling today but don’t think will be enough for Cahill - need to keep him in the job for the next two years at least

blueflame wrote: »
    Liam Cahill is only in the job six months all told and got more out of these lads today than previous management did in 5 years - we went up against a more experienced and developed side and didn’t hide and with a bit of luck in the opposition box the result could have been very different - small margins - very proud today and look forward to next day out - pride was restored to Waterford hurling today but don’t think will be enough for Cahill - need to keep him in the job for the next two years at least

Cahill's term is up the end of the 2021 season with the option of staying on for 2022. Hes deff moving up the pecking order to succeed Liam Sheedy in Tipp and that might some barring on his commitments here esp if the Tipp hot seat becomes vacant

Hell wouldn't be a bad thing if one of this backroom team took over after him. Stephen Molumphy or Stephen Frampton

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Deise_abu

PF28 wrote: »
    Will you get out of your Walter Mitty head and stop talking absolute sh**te. Austin Gleeson didn't come near pulling any strop, and walked off the pitch when he was substituted clearly with no problems. Where you get and make up this crap from in your head is dangerous.
    The man scored three points and if had a set position would have had a lot more.

Well done Austin.
    Great "team" performance from every single Waterford man out on that pitch today.

Exactly, why are people not looking at how Limerick targeted Aussie to stop him winning primary possesion? We have to be able to switch it up, easy mark Aussie when contesting set pieces if thats where they go the majority of the time, when he was FF dont think 1 50/50 ball was even hit in. Bennet was immense however when he was winning ball he was rightly taking scores not trying to hit good ball into the FF line, look at the amount.of ball Dessie got

Positive performance but lose the next day and its hard to take, as we can point to progress however nothing significant, beating a poor Cork team and putting it up to Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Hell wouldn't be a bad thing if one of this backroom team took over after him. Stephen Molumphy or Stephen Frampton

Neither have any experience being a manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Lads if you told me last week that we'd put it up to Limerick like that I'd been absolutely delighted! I remember being in Walsh park last year when Limerick annihilated us. We've come an awful long way since that defeat and today's loss will make the lads hungry for next week. Absolutely buzzing for it. I'd fancy us to put it up to any team in the quarter finals!

Bennett was absolutely fantastic today, Tadhg De Burca had a great match, stupid tackle for the yellow card aside. Dessie was marked within an inch of his life, Shane Finn had some game marking him. There were definitely some moments where we should have passed off the ball just a few seconds earlier, and the amount of our own puckouts we lost is a serious problem. But they're all things to work on and I was delighted with the work rage and effort by the team today. Onwards and upwards for the Deise :)

I noticed Shane Bennett is not involved with Waterford.... I know he dropped out during Derek McGraths time.... what’s the story?

Anyone???

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

Considering how many of the players didn't play to their potential, there's hope going forward in to a 1/4 final, no matter who we face. There was no lack of effort but I definitely think there is more in Lyons, Moran, Barron, Gleeson, Fagan, Hutchison & K Bennett. I'm not criticising as they all gave their all but things didn't go as well for them as maybe they would have, they have scope for improvement going forward.

The aspect of the Waterford game with most scope for improvement is our puckouts. Only winning 46% of these isn't good enough as primary position is key as we all know, you can only score when you have the ball. I would pick out SOK's inaccuracy for a few but it is also up to those out the field to win the ball when it's delivered to their zone. It seemed Limerick won most of the rucks, particularly 3 key ones in the 1st half that Morrissey (2) & Finn came out with.

We go again next weekend and look forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Deise_abu

Anyone???

He was a minor at 16, in fainess he put in a massive shift, I believe he wanted a break, maybe he is enjoying it, pity but fair play to him, a bit like Tom Devine would have loved to introduce them like Flanagan today

• Advertisement

Anyone???

Made himself unavailable again this year.

Anyone???

He was due to be away to america this year for the summer....but coronavirus got in the way,trump banned eu citizens in mid march

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

Think saying Waterford are a hard working team is doing them an injustice, they were the better team today excluding the puck outs. Think we broke down Limerick twice and they were on the ropes, got the "water break" and were able to re-organise themselves with 2-3 minutes of coaching and used the energy gained to put scores on the board. I think the score at the end didn't reflect the match, we went for goals which made the most sense near the end and got unlucky not to get something.

This team will have no fear of Limerick or anyone else, they clearly showed they have bags of talent and ability. They're not just a bunch of watercarriers and every game will stand to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Deise_abu wrote: »
    He was a minor at 16, in fainess he put in a massive shift, I believe he wanted a break, maybe he is enjoying it, pity but fair play to him, a bit like Tom Devine would have loved to introduce them like Flanagan today

Absolutely burnt out. Played co minor at u16 as you say and then came straight on the senior panel after minor. McGrath flogged like him like a tinkers horse for 5 years, alone in the full forward line chasing shadows. If I’m not mistaken he hasn’t played for Waterford since 2017 AI final when he came off the injured after 20 mins. Not surprised he was sick of it

Absolutely burnt out. Played co minor at u16 as you say and then came straight on the senior panel after minor. McGrath flogged like him like a tinkers horse for 5 years, alone in the full forward line chasing shadows. If I’m not mistaken he hasn’t played for Waterford since 2017 AI final when he came off the injured after 20 mins. Not surprised he was sick of it

He played all last year

He played a few games in the mess that was our 2019 campaign

How come Limerick were allowed have there white board out during the water breaks

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Tiger Roll

Hoping Shane Fives is ok ,looked bad enough . Ian Kenny to start next week or maybe Callum Lyons dropping back ?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Aside from playing all of last year, he played his first championship game against Dublin in 2015 so was not "flogged" for 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Tiger Roll wrote: »
    Hoping Shane Fives is ok ,looked bad enough . Ian Kenny to start next week or maybe Callum Lyons dropping back ?

Will probably depend on how Conor Gleeson and Iarla Daly recover from their injuries too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Great effort from the lads, just fell that bit short but plenty of positives to take away and build on. Even though I'm a bit disappointed to have lost, I'd much rather this feeling than one of the humiliation suffered after Limerick last year. When we nudged a point ahead around the 55th minute things looked to be going really well but fair play to Limerick they were just able to step it up a bit and find scores that bit easier in the last quarter that put them out of sight.

As a previous poster mentioned, it's also encouraging that we managed to do so well and get so close to arguably the best team in the country despite a few lads having quiet games. Aussie, Moran, Fagan, Barron had a few good moments but you wouldn't say they were hugely involved throughout. That's by no means a criticism, just making the point that if we can get a bit more out of a few more, we'll be right in the mix next Saturday.

Onwards to next weekend then, you'd have to say we'd rather get Clare than Tipp. Tadgh v Tony Kelly would be some battle and with Clare being out three weeks in a row may have some affect. In saying that, we'd have no fear of Tipp either. Would imagine if it's Clare it'll be Thurles again and if Tipp, it'll be PUC or Nowlan Park?

Advertisement