Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Great win for Corofin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i stand corrected mr clareman i expected a little more from eire og , great call , i am one of the joe garry brigade that gets overexcited when it comes to clare football ,

great win by corofin , really good side but i still think kildysart are better then most senior teams and will really be kicking themselves , corofin will have a huge chance in the final now against jack barrys lads

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Treble double

Disappointing performance from Eire Og conceded two soft goals which they hadn't being doing all year and lack of fire power up front and a recognised free taker came back to bite them. Still don't think Finbarrs are all that and it's Stacks to lose.

Eire Ogs first venture into munster in nearly 15 years, the experience will stand to them. Think they are well ahead of what's in the county if they keep the heads right.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭caddy16

Yeah awfully disappointing, the soft goals as you say and some dubious decisions cost them. It will be interesting to see how Finbarrs fare out in the munster final but based on yesterday I'd be surprised if they came out on top.

Eire Og have the potential to go on and put a couple of county titles back to back but they need a bigger scoring threat.

• Advertisement

Eire Og have some great players but they'll struggle to have any kind of dominance without growing their squad, they have a lot of players on both the hurling and football teams and their second teams aren't going too great, although their under 21 footballers are in the A final on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Gael85

Clare senior hurlers had a good workout against a University of Limerick Fitzgibbon Cup team over the weekend. I expect that the like of Robin Mounsey, Cian Galvin, Shane Meehan et al will all be involved v Waterford in the Munster league cup semi final at Cusack Park with a Saturday afternoon 1:30 pm throw in time. Any word on whether we will see Peter Duggan involved with the Clare senior hurlers this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭letowski

Michael Verney reported today in the Indo that Peter Duggan has returned to the panel, which is a huge boost.

Aidan McCarthy is touch and go for the championship unfortunately after a serious workplace accident.

Hopefully we have good availability of players this year, it seems every year we down a big name or too before a ball is pucked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Duggan it seems not named on the squad for today.

but the first 15 named is strong, could easily see around 10 of those starting come championship time

Clare Team v Waterford

1. Eibhear Quilligan (Feakle)
    2. Rory Hayes (Wolfe Tones)
    3. Conor Cleary (St Joseph’s Miltown)
    4. Paul Flanagan (Ballyea)
    5. Diarmuid Ryan (Cratloe)
    6. Jason McCarthy (Inagh-Kilnamona)
    7. David McInerney (Tulla)
    8. Jack Browne (Ballyea)
    9. Paddy Donnellan (Broadford)
    10. Cathal Malone (Sixmilebridge)
    11. David Reidy (Éire Óg)
    12. Shane Golden (Sixmilebridge)
    13. Mark Rodgers (Scariff)
    14. Aron Shanagher (Wolfe Tones)
    15. Gary Cooney (O’Callaghan’s Mills)

Substitutes

1. Éamonn Foudy (Inagh-Kilnamona)
    2. Shane Meehan (Banner)
    3. Ryan Taylor (Clooney-Quin)
    4. Darragh Lohan (Wolfe Tones)
    5. Ian Galvin (Clonlara)
    6. Domhnall McMahon (Michael Cusack’s)
    7. Colm Galvin (Clonlara)
    8. Aaron Fitzgerald (Éire Óg)
    9. Darren O’Brien (Éire Óg)
    10. Mike Gough (Smith O’Brien’s)
    11. Cian Broderick (Clarecastle)

• Advertisement

Who will be taking the frees ?

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭supernova5

cant understand why Lohan didn't experiment, give a run out to a big portion of the extended panel, thats what games of this nature should be used for, opportunity lost

Maybe due to more compressed season ? Need to find your form earlier.

you’re permitted 11 substitutions so I guess lads will get a run in the second half.

Reidy on the frees

Typical Munster League game. Probably Waterford are getting more out of it with a newer team and trying to go for goals more. Rodgers has looked very good in the first half when we get him good ball. But our distribution into the inside line has been erratic though. But it’s only January. I’d like to see young Meehan get a good run. We should also be looking at getting another player gametime at full back, because I’m not sure have we much of a backup plan if Cleary were to get injured.

Is David Fitzgerald going to be available for the team this year?

Overall a useful run-out and a chance to play (probably) Limerick next weekend.

We seem to have a lot of competition in the forward line which is healthy. You have the 6 starting forwards from today who all scored, and subs Meehan and I.Galvin looking very sharp (Meehan came on and scored 1-3). Plus the lads missing - TK, SOD, A.McCarthy and potentially also Duggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

A large crowd is expected based on attendance of both semi-finals

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

It ll be interesting to see what team Limerick put out. They only had Barry Nash from the All Ireland winning team playing yesterday. Yeah interesting game. What Clare dont need is a hammering and I dont think they will get hammered. Clare will hang in there better than other teams and the players know one another . Derby game. Now they ll lose ,that's fairly certain no matter what team they put out but id like to see something they can build on.. start Meehan,Gough and a few more.

If Clare again start with the strongest available team, and if Limerick start with the same 15 that played v Kerry, then I think Clare certainly have a chance of winning.

The question is whether Limerick bring back any of the big guns.

The game being in Ennis also helps for Clare.

Sold out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭westsidestory

What level of hurling would Clancy play with St. Josephs Milltown?

Any one know if Clare/Lim game will be available as a live streaming?

Streamsport are doing it again

https://page.inplayer.com/streamsportireland/item.html?id=1833109 shows on there schedule

Also a really quick Google would turn up the Munster gaa page with all the info you need

https://munster.gaa.ie/event/2022-co-op-superstores-munster-hurling-cup-final/

thanks sterling

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mitsubishi2005

He plays with Kilmaley senior

St Josephs Miltown only big ball

Clare could win this. I dont see limerick having more than 2 or 3 regulars playing on Sunday. Its a great game for Clare to have so early in the Season. And I think limerick would like to test their young fellas against the likes of David McInerney ect. The biggest difference between limerick and the rest is not their size..they are huge mobile men. Its their cohesion and teamwork. They all do their jobs.. Clare still do bad passing at times and some still don't know how to give a good pass...but the penny has dropped and I like what I saw against the Deise.

Limerick's B team still play an amazing brand of hurling where they swarm the ball carrier and then play intelligent ball on the turnover, if we're to have any hope on Sunday we'll have to score as many goal chances as comes our way because if we're as loose with our possession as we were against Waterford we'll be in for a long day.

Davy Mc and Taylor come in for Lohan and Shanagher from the Waterford team. But there is rumours there might be 1 or 2 cases in the panel so they might not line out like that.

Limerick with just the 3 AI final starters still have a top class team. Players like English, Coughlan, O'Niell, Reidy, Pat Ryan, etc are good starters at this level. Just an embarressment of riches.

Looking forward to the game, nice to have another outing. It's doesn't surprise me really there is good interest in tickets for the game. Unless your interested in the rugby, its good to get out of the house for the afternoon.

• Advertisement

Definately it's good to get out of the house. I was planning on going to the rugby beacuse I see Wasps going all out to win, but I ll go to Ennis instead. The 3000 extra tickets are nearly gone already.

I'm not sure Lohan has experimented enough so far. Id have liked to have seen more of Aaron Fitz and Cian Galvin, Mike Gough. Ryan Taylor will obviously play out around midfield. It's a great test for the half backline. Hegartys first game back and the Clare half backs playing well. I think it ll be a nip n tuck game. I dont see either side standing back from this. Jerome Boylan is a great bit of stuff and English on Rodgers is a great test for the Scarriff man after scoring a hat trick mid week. He ll earn it against English.

Advertisement