Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Figerty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

That's it for another year in the race for Jack Daly, Eire Óg deserved winners no question, what an atmosphere to have back, from the tulla pipe band to the stream of latecomers, it was fantastic to see, and was an all round good game.

Also terrific to see the minor hurling was put on in the park, a very tight game and was great that it was streamed also

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The queues going in were horrendous. We missed the parade and National Anthem even though we thought we had plenty of time to get in. Obviously they should have had some turnstiles at the town end open.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Treble double

Eire Og have a fine team, solid keeper, four of their defenders are inter county players, Manus Doherty will probably called up after this campaign that is serious defensive strength.

Darren O'Neill in the middle of the park is another county regular.

Captain Gavin Cooney is a starter for Clare, Mark McInerney will likely be called up after this campaign. David Reidy a starter for the county hurlers, would be with the footballers if he didn't play small ball.

They brought on Igerwu who has been with the County Football squad and Courtney who was a starter for Clare footballers in the past.

If they don't overdo the celebrating they should have a right crack at Munster.

The Bricks went down swinging in fairness to them but the difference in strength in depth between both squads was huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

great win for eire og at the weekend their backs are the best in the county , they controlled the game pretty much from start to finish , KIB no where near finished yet , when the likes of dermot coughlan to return next year , no doubting the fitness struggles last week of aidan mccarthy which was huge , but yeah manus doherty has had a fantastic championship i expect him to be called in to the clare panel , aarron fitzgerld was probably player of the championship for them though

clonmel comercials of loughmore castleainy for them in the first round of the munster championship

kildysart will be kicking themselves after conceding 2 late goals to corofin in the intermediate final , in truth they looked like a side that didnt know what to do for most of the 2nd half when they had a 5 point lead , i still regard them as the better side of the two and probably better then a few senior teams but they really need to shake off the inferiority complex of losing finals , cooraclare and kilrush will have their hands full with them next year , corofin should be fine next year senior but they will have to improve their full back line

Kildimo/pallaskenry will make the trip from north limerick to north clare in 3 weeks time

• Advertisement

County final weekend and its probably the two form teams of the championship , the championship it self did not really come alive until the group stage was over , inaghK's performances against kilmaley in the group , 1/4 final win over cratloe and semi final win over eire og has them favorites , keith white , conor heagerty , david fitzgearld jason McCarthy and kevin hehir have been brillient fot the combo ,but they will be sweating on the fitness of aidan mccarthy who has been their main tallysman , his movement was limited in the football final last week and really looked like a lad carrying a bad injury and probably should not have played, if he is out or not at full fitness my money will be firmly placed on ballyea

ballyea paced themselves through the championship group stagebut they they never reaching their full potential , after beating crusheen they scraped past broadford in agame that they could have lost , they did draw the final group game without tony kelly , beat kilmaley with kelly limited to 20 minutes and beat a newmarket side that toped group 2 in the semi final , they have proven that kelly is a player they can cope without , niall deasy , aaron griffin and mossy gavin are flying it , brandon o'connell , paul flanagan and jack browne haf been excellent at the back while intercounty footballers pearse lillis and gary brennan have carried the fight in the half forward line in kellys absence

its a hard one to call given that kelly is out for the year i still think ballyea have enough to see the game through , alot will depend on aidan mccarthys fitness though Verdict ..Ballyea by 2

semi final highlights

preview of the ladies final tomorrow , kilmihil v the banner , kilmihil are down about 6 from the team that won the county final 2 years ago , 2 of the girls were playing rugby for ireland on friday night against the usa,

kilmihil have a really impressive young team coming through , corner forward katie mullin is an intercounty footballer in the makng she has been excellent for the green and gold all year while eille o gorman , dervala higgans (galway) cathronia callinan and miceala glynn are the best in the county

the banner have great players but i am heavily crittical of the catchment area they use the two o deas from kilfenora are fantastic but having soferia o'connell and megan o brien dosnt make it fair their is enough in the town of ennis without going to cratloe or kilfenora for players

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Ogonnelloe currenty cruising the Junior A final versus Crusheen. Actually, as i type, Crusheen get a goal. 3-9 to 1-6 at half time.

listen live at http://www.scariffbayradio.com/ if anyone's intirested.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Ballyea add to their championship haul, Inagh were the best team all year but Ballyea were the best team today, they'd be kicking themselves if they didn't win it today considering how many wides they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 JR Harvey

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Ballygunner must love drawing Clare clubs in the provincial championships

today without kelly epically , in fairness they are a well prepared side , they won their county championship over 8 weeks ago , today was bonus territory for ballyea in my opinion once kelly was out no one gave them a chance to go on and win the championship

had another fine win today in sixmilebridge against brickey rangers of waterford , their neighbors were not so lucky yesterday losing out to waterford outfit dunhill in the intermediate championship

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Also hearing Clarecastle could contest the whole relegation should be null and void

Could mean 3 go down next year

Post edited by Sterling Archer on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Figerty

Another fine mess from the county board. ... Clarecastle have nothing to lose so they may as well object.. or transfer to Ballyea.

Fare play to Eire Og they progress to the next round of Munster.

Thought they were the better football team today but struggled to shake a team renowned for their doggedness

Eire Og defenders to a man were outstanding in defence and attack.

They will be hoping for more spark from their forward division in the next round against the Barrs

Eire Og and Corofin travel to Cork for their Munster Semi Finals after a draw for home venue today.

I would give Eire Og every chance against St. Finbarrs even in their back yard.

Cork and Kerry teams are a lot stronger than everyone else in the junior and intermediate grades, it possibly is a step too far for Corofin.

big loss to clare hurling tonight as tony butler lined out for munster fair play to the lad but he is a super hurler and a huge loss

the footballe people in the county will feel the same as ethan coughlan tony's club mate and kildysarts conor moloney all played there part for munster tonight in coventry both huge prospects in the past in the devolepment squads

the qustion mark still hangs over the excellent ikem ugwueru who is border line for a munster squad place , the best ball (football) carrier in the county he would be a revelation in the saffron and blue hopfully he makes both teams at some stage over his career too,

football very strong in the county at the moment , both sides will have a huge say yet in how munster pans out , fancy eire ogs chances against finbars in cork next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Yes, I'd give Eire Og a chance of pulling off an upset here.

I don't think they'd have been competitive with the likes of Dr.Crokes or Nemo in their pomp. But Finbarr's, good as they are, aren't truly in the discussion as All-Ireland contenders.

With Eire Og's decent defence you'd expect they'd be still in it coming into the final water break, with Finbarr's having to work hard for their scores, and from there you just never know....

I know what you're saying about Ikem Ugwueru but anyone from Eire Og I've spoken to reckon he's gotten too big and that he'd struggle to last a full match now, the chances of him featuring for Clare are slim unfortunately but he's a great chance of making a career in rugby.

I saw Coughlan win the under 16 title for Barefield almost on his own, he's a truely gifted sportsman, if Barefield have him and Butler featuring for them they'd be a shoe in for promotion.

Not a hope I fear, they should never have been brought to extra time against a team who had just done the double, they'll be lucky to keep it within 10 points at the weekend unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭caddy16

I'd agree, certainly have a decent chance and will run them close I think.

So new treasurer, same assistant treasurer, vice chair goes to chair and PRO goes to vice chair with no decision on PRO (outgoing chair might go for that), not exactly earth shattering changes at the top table.

We saw how poor the Cork hurling champions were last weekend. Maybe the football championship down there might not be as strong as in the past. It is a hard ask for Eire Og to go down there and win, but I would give them every chance. They are a fine team, their defence is outstanding and Darren O'Neill should be able to spoil Ian Maguire. I feel they might be lacking a real experienced ball winner in the forward division, I wouldn't rule out an upset here, best of luck to them anyway.

Kieren Keating has an excellent reputation in finance and administration. He will be an excellent chair IMO. Michael O'Connor was a brilliant PRO, his rival for the vice chair role Paddy Smith is far from liked in GAA circles, and I've heard some negative reports about his conduct during games. The new treasurer Rebecca Sexton is going to be a breath of fresh air and is extremely highly thought of in Kilmurry Ibrickane and it's great to see female representation in the CB executive.

I don't know much about Tony Brohan, but I would like to have seen Kilrush's Niomh Madigan get the assistant treasurer role, as it would be a further sign of that change that clubs and their delegates have been demanding.

I'm overall reasonably happy with the make up of the Clare CB top table. Implementation of the recommendations in the Clare GAA strategic plan group is what got Keating over the line. Now it's about action, we have had enough empty words from previous incumbents in the Clare CB executive.

On matters on the fields, great to see Rice College Ennis claim the Under 16.5 Munster PPS B Hurling final in hurling and St Josephs Spanish Point claim the Under 15 D Munster PPS Football finals today. We should have two very good inter-county minor teams in both codes for 2022.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

look i dont buy this at all , cork gaa is slightly improving yes but not anywhere near that much , as for loughmore , they were robed last week in waterford against a ballygunner side tipped for a munster championship

they did not look unfit in any shape or form , cork gaa is all about mind set , against the kerrys and dublins they can raise it in football but in truth both clare and tipperary have been well ahead of them in most grades in both codes for a while now

both championships looked awfull on the examiner website , the hurling was good to watch from an attacking point of view , but there clubs really lack any sort of definsive structure , but great forwards , they have plenty to work with intercounty wise after horgey

was not that impressed with the standard of football to be fair within the county

• Advertisement

Eire Og down 2-7 to 4 at half time, Corofin down 7 to 6

Advertisement