Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Parachute Club crash

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Is there any way to know if that money makes it to the families? Does anyone know the person who set it up? Is there tractability on GoFundMe pages?

It's this guys first GoFundMe page so it literally could be anyone out to make some money for themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

Quazzie wrote: »
    Is there any way to know if that money makes it to the families? Does anyone know the person who set it up? Is there tractability on GoFundMe pages?

It's this guys first GoFundMe page so it literally could be anyone out to make some money for themselves

I have no idea about the traceability of GoFundMe etc. but I do know that the guy who set this page up is definitely an IPC member and regular jumper and knew those involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

PCX wrote: »
    I have no idea about the traceability of GoFundMe etc. but I do know that the guy who set this page up is definitely an IPC member and regular jumper and knew those involved.

That's enough for me so. I'll make my donation now. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Final report on this accident now published. www.aaiu.ie/sites/default/files/report-attachments/G-KNYS%20Final%20Report.pdf

Synopsis:

The Cessna 208B aircraft took off from Runway 27 at Clonbullogue Airfield
    (EICL), Co. Offaly at approximately 13.14 hrs. On board were the Pilot and a
    Passenger (a child), who were seated in the cockpit, and 16 skydivers, who
    occupied the main cabin. The skydivers jumped from the aircraft, as planned,
    when the aircraft was overhead EICL at an altitude of approximately 13,000
    feet. When the aircraft was returning to the airfield, the Pilot advised by
    radio that he was on ‘left base’ (the flight leg which precedes the
    approach leg and which is normally approximately perpendicular to the
    extended centreline of the runway). No further radio transmissions were
    received. A short while later, it was established that the aircraft had
    impacted nose-down into a forested peat bog at Ballaghassan, Co. Offaly,
    approximately 2.5 nautical miles (4.6 kilometres) to the north-west of EICL.
    The aircraft was destroyed. There was no fire. The Pilot and Passenger were
    fatally injured.

The Investigation determined that the probable cause of the accident was a
    loss of control in a steeply banked left-hand turn, leading to a rapid loss
    of altitude. Four Safety Recommendations are made as a result of this
    Investigation.

I’ve yet to hear anything that speaks well of that club, and indeed some other areas of hobby-focussed aviation. There’s far too much poor airmanship in practice and responsible participants need to stand up firmly against it. No good hand-wringing when totally needless death happens. It’s too late then. I’ve known rigorously good hobby aviators to abandon it because of this type of scenario pervading the scene and I’m not afraid to speak out about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Reading former Air Corps pilot Declan Daly’s Medevac: Flying the Irish Air Corps HEMS Mission on Kindle at the moment, and aside from being generally very frank and interesting, he has an account of getting tasked to this crash.

Worth a look if you’re so inclined:
    Medevac: Flying the Irish Air Corps HEMS Mission on Amazon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

The parents of the boy killed in the crash at Clonbullogue have started legal action against the Irish Parachute Club and the aircraft owner/operator

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/parents-of-boy-killed-in-2018-air-crash-sue-for-psychiatric-shock-and-loss-1.4378028

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭sailing

It’s no different to a car accident where a death has occurred really. It will probably result in a settlement of some sort from the insurance company. The Published crash report makes very for very grim reading.

• Advertisement

They are grieving parents who lost their only child FFS....

Did you read the report?? What would you do... Chalk it up to experience and get a dog?

PCX wrote: »

They are grieving parents who lost their only child FFS....

Did you read the report?? What would you do... Chalk it up to experience and get a dog?

So for you, parental grief can be assuaged by large amounts of cash? What a shockingly mercenary outlook on life you must have. I pity you.

Who do you reckon allowed the child to get into the plane, contrary to EU regulations? Should they be sued too?

John_Rambo wrote: »
    That's a bit rough StackSteevens.

Chasing the family of the deceased pilot for compo. is "a bit rough" too, mate. :(

Please goodness this will give the parents a focus, where their pain can be publicly acknowledged, as well as maybe furthering safety. It can only be horrendous for them, anybody's worst nightmare come true for them.

Chasing the family of the deceased pilot for compo. is "a bit rough" too, mate. :(

They would have been insured, and anything that censures bad flying practices in hobby/sport aviation is desirable. Very difficult for the pilot's family of course too, that has to be acknowledged. There are no winners. When it starts to affect insurance cover, then maybe safety measures may be enhanced. If it has that effect it would be a very good thing. The parents too may not have been able to work properly or function since the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

The poor familys of both deceased. Im from close to edenderry and my son was the same age.

So for you, parental grief can be assuaged by large amounts of cash? What a shockingly mercenary outlook on life you must have. I pity you.

Who do you reckon allowed the child to get into the plane, contrary to EU regulations? Should they be sued too?

I can't imagine what I would do if I was in the position of Kasper's parents and I hope I am never in a position to find out.

I do think it is absolutely disgusting to throw slurs at them at them given what they are going through.

I understand some people aren't wired to experience empathy but you should at least try.

If it enforces good practices and helps prevent future tragedies, the thought of that alone would bring some solace. If it exposes bad practices in hobby aviation in this country it will serve well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,031 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Does any of the responsibility rest with the parents, especially when they were regulars to the drop zone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

smurfjed wrote: »
    Does any of the responsibility rest with the parents, especially when they were regulars to the drop zone?

This is what the courts are there to do. They will work out who is at fault and to what degree they are at fault

I appreciate that people don't like compo culture but Jesus, surely this kind of situation is the whole point of having insurance in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,031 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Do you think that the pilot had personal insurance for such a situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The pilot, only he is in charge of the plane and it’s passengers . None qualified or Non licenced persons would be aware of any such regulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

ted1 wrote: »
    The pilot, only he is in charge of the plane and it’s passengers . None qualified or Non licenced persons would be aware of any such regulation.

The parachute club as an organisation is as well.

Can't recall exact details but I believe their approval process for the pilot wasn't followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭sailing

The deceased pilot was responsible for not allowing the child onboard if there was an issue over regulations. The buck stops there. It comes with the legal responsibility of exercising the privileges of one’s licence.

The air accident investigation is not allowed to apportion blame in it’s report. As a 15,000+ hour pilot however, it’s very clear from the reading of the report that it was a completely avoidable accident.

Part of the court process will, as someone said above, allow the parents to get some closure. It will investigate and determine responsibility, which is something the air accident report hasn’t/can’t report on.

Any large amounts of cash as you put it will be proportional to blame and that will be played out in an independent setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

Im struggling to understand why the parents are suing the pilots family when they permitted their child on to the aircraft. There is a obvious danger so surely they must be held somewhat responsible?

Am I missing something?

smurfjed wrote: »
    Do you think that the pilot had personal insurance for such a situation?

His company/company he worked for would have..... hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Havent seen it mentioned anywhere, but does anyone know if the deceased boys father was part of the 16 that parachuted that day?

I hope the parents get all they are entitled to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

When I once sat in the right seat up from of a Caravan seaplane and got chatting to the guy beside me flying it he told me it is very easy to fly, with predictable handling, and could be described as a big C172. It should not be the type of aircraft to catch you out easily.

"AOPA Pilot magazine called the Caravan I "easy and pleasant" to handle. It can go 186 knots at 10,000 feet for a distance of almost 1,000 nautical miles with a 45-minute reserve. The sea-level rate of climb can be as high as 1,446 fpm. The stall speed varies from 55 to 64 knots and is described as the typical docile Cessna stall. Flare and touchdowns were reported to be "gentle and controlled." Maximum useful load is 3,627 pounds. Reverse thrust is available for slowing but is not recommended for backing the aircraft. Little right rudder is needed on takeoff, thanks to the engine being canted slightly downward and to the right to minimize torque and p-factor."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Sounds like the sort of bravado that a GA pilot who thinks they know everything would say. A piston engined 172 and a turbine powered caravan are in different leagues. Think ATR pilot transitioning to A320.

Advertisement