Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

How do you make that out?

Top two teams are promoted, a league final is a nice day out in Croker and all that but a div.2 league trophy means SFA at the end of the day.

Don't get me wrong a good tough game against Tyrone in Croker would be ideal preparation for the championship though.
    no point making a trip to dublin for a POSSIBLE not guaranteed league final if they just use it as a training day tbh.. im uber competitive though i expect them to win every game what can i say maybe i expect too much..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

no point making a trip to dublin for a POSSIBLE not guaranteed league final if they just use it as a training day tbh.. im uber competitive though i expect them to win every game what can i say maybe i expect too much..

At the end of it all, it is proven that teams who take the league seriously are usually there by late August or September.Cork have been winning the league consistently over the last few years and have made 3 All Ireland Finals in 5 years, winning one and making a semi final and a quarter final.

Dublin who have took the league seriously in the last two years have made a semi final and won an All Ireland after making last years league final.Kerry who usually make a league final or come in 3rd in NFL1 are there nearly every September. Making Division 2 final is a step Kildare should be making and aiming to win as McGeeney is without silverware other than an O Byrne Cup and making the top flight of GAA is detrimental to success down the road.

blackbelt wrote: »
    At the end of it all, it is proven that teams who take the league seriously are usually there by late August or September.Cork have been winning the league consistently over the last few years and have made 3 All Ireland Finals in 5 years, winning one and making a semi final and a quarter final.

Dublin who have took the league seriously in the last two years have made a semi final and won an All Ireland after making last years league final.Kerry who usually make a league final or come in 3rd in NFL1 are there nearly every September. Making Division 2 final is a step Kildare should be making and aiming to win as McGeeney is without silverware other than an O Byrne Cup and making the top flight of GAA is detrimental to success down the road.
    Agree with this fully the league is so important Kildare need to take any silverware they can get to bring more confidence to the lads and that's why division 1 is so important to be promoted it takes a team from playing good teams to playing the countries elite which I think Kildare are one of top 5 in the country anyways so only naturally they should be in div 1..

Can I just say the disrespect shown to Louth here last week was a disgrace remember Louth are missing players etc it's disgusting behaviour dissing any county team!! It's not what the GAA is about..

If Kildare win div 2 it's a massive step with Tyrone and Galway being in same div to be honest!! I would be proud if lads won it!! Anyone thinking its meaningless that's crazy talk tbh we need to win and keep momentum going not think if we get to final sure that's promotion that's a losers mentality and our lads ain't no losers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

division 2 league has proven to be very important in the past few years, Donegal got to the last four last year and down the year before went to the ireland final. its a great confidance builder for the championship.

Its in kildares hands now to get promoted all we need to do is win the next two games. this is your first time in ages when we are not relying on others results to go our way so lets hope we dont f it up. known kildare there will be a hard luck story on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

If Kildare win div 2 it's a massive step with Tyrone and Galway being in same div to be honest!! I would be proud if lads won it!! Anyone thinking its meaningless that's crazy talk tbh we need to win and keep momentum going not think if we get to final sure that's promotion that's a losers mentality and our lads ain't no losers

Eh... recent seasons would disagree :P

• Advertisement

full_irish wrote: »
    Eh... recent seasons would disagree :P

Well if that's your opinion you are not a fan...

I bet you are a fair weather fan that turns up in Croke park with a brand new Kildare jersey bought in a sport shop the day before the match

Well if that's your opinion you are not a fan...
    I bet you are a fair weather fan that turns up in Croke park with a brand new Kildare jersey bought in a sport shop the day before the match

The ':p' at the end of the comment for most people would show that I'm taking the piss.

I will be willing to take that bet with sir, how much would you like to give me? I get to as many Kildare games as possible which unfortunately is not as many as I would like owing to the fact that I'm based outside of Ireland for the majority of the year. Oh and the jersey I have is actually the one I managed to blag off Tadgh Fennin. After me and 3 mates walked down the tunnel in Croker after beating Westmeath in the Leinster Q/F (2004 I think it was). We even got to have a bit of a kick about on the pitch, god bless ****ty Croker security!

My bad, it was 2005. Just Google'd it there.

Unfortunately it reminded me of the shocking game against Laois in the semi's. My subconscious had blocked that one out... I've never seen such a one sided inter-county game in all my life. Admittedly I have never seen the Kilkenny footballers in action...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Unfortunately it reminded me of the shocking game against Laois in the semi's. My subconscious had blocked that one out... I've never seen such a one sided inter-county game in all my life. Admittedly I have never seen the Kilkenny footballers in action...
    Remember it well, was probably the worst day as a Kildare supporter.

We've more than made up for it in recent years though.

1998 all ireland final was my worst day ever as a kildare supporter, still havent got over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kildare75

1998 all ireland final was my worst day ever as a kildare supporter, still havent got over it.

Your not alone brother,your not alone........
    Something's in life you just never get over and 1998 final is one of mine.
    I still cant bring myself to watch the video.....
    Well please god we will, maybe just maybe bring Sam home this year.
    God knows we have waited long enough :o

I spent almost the entire second half with my head in my hands for that Laois game, it was just too difficult to watch.

I spent almost the entire second half with my head in my hands for that Laois game, it was just too difficult to watch.

Well I spent the same time looking at my bloody shoes. God it was painful,really painful...up there with the defeat to Louth in 91, and league final same year,and loosing to Wicklow and Louth again in newbridge, etc etc

But then sometimes you get a day that makes it all worth while...like beating nah hammering the same Laois crowd in tullamore (have the photo of the scoreboard on my phone....it makes me smile still ...childish perhaps but feck it, was a great day to be a lily :p) and again in castle grey skull itself last year.I still smile when I see James catch the ball over his shoulder and bury it..

Loosing like we did to the dubs and Donegal last year hurt like hell, but with luck with injuries, I genuinely believe we are as good as anyone.
    But we have to prove it this year......bring home some silverware this year lads, please, there is only so much heartache I can take. :p

kildare75 wrote: »
    But then sometimes you get a day that makes it all worth while...like beating nah hammering the same Laois crowd in tullamore

... the 2000 leinster final replay when we scored those 2 goals in about 5 mins in the second half... I've never seen the hill go so quiet so quickly. Have a big smirk on my face thinking about it.

... the 2000 leinster final replay when we scored those 2 goals in about 5 mins in the second half... I've never seen the hill go so quiet so quickly. Have a big smirk on my face thinking about it.
    God bless Tadhg Fennin. :D

Aye lol. But really best moment for me ever has to be Brian's goal that launched a thousand hangovers in 98....
    I still get goosebumps when I think of that goal.
    Those remaining minutes were without doubt the greatest and sweetest moments watching Kildare. Knowing that we were finally going to win a Leinster, and then running all the way from top of the cusack down to pitch to celebrate.
    Probably the best day of my life( wife won't read this ....I hope :-) ) and all the following week of celebrations. Happy happy days .
    Cillldara Abu :-)

Brilliant.

Interesting story about Brian Murphy. Brian Lacey used to manage my club team and he told us that when they were walking out of the dressing room heading for home when Micko made them run 30 laps at a training session, Brian Murphy would still be doing them with Micko standing watching him. Who said fitness is key? :pac:

Brilliant.

Interesting story about Brian Murphy. Brian Lacey used to manage my club team and he told us that when they were walking out of the dressing room heading for home when Micko made them run 30 laps at a training session, Brian Murphy would still be doing them with Micko standing watching him. Who said fitness is key? :pac:

Ah stop you will have me crying...what a moment :-)
    Still I feel have Brian come on earlier in final against Galway we might have won it. Same with semi final against Galway in 2000. We were flying when playing long balls into the big man. Then we stopped doing it and lost.never never understood it.
    Ah well the joys of being a lilywhite.

kildare75 wrote: »
    Ah stop you will have me crying...what a moment :-)
    Still I feel have Brian come on earlier in final against Galway we might have won it. Same with semi final against Galway in 2000. We were flying when playing long balls into the big man. Then we stopped doing it and lost.never never understood it.
    Ah well the joys of being a lilywhite.

Dare you question the tactics of the mighty Micko?? :eek::eek:

Dare you question the tactics of the mighty Micko?? :eek::eek:

Lol well he did give us some great times, but jaysis if plan a failed there was no plan b.

Micko is a legend but even legends can get it wrong sometimes....only sometimes though :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭lilywhites28

Ahh 98 sweet sweet memories.. I remember being on top of the cusack stand and when Murphy got that goal.. I will never forget it till the day I die! croker shook.. My heart started racing..my legs went weak and couldnt believe that we were actually going to win Leinster. I ran down all them steps from the upper tier and remember thinking "f***ing run! I ran as fast as me legs would carry me and was just overcome when I got on the pitch. As a kildare supporter I couldnt be more proud than on that day and of course the journey they took us on all the way to the final and will be forever thankful to the 98 team for giving me that memory. The homecoming was unbelieveable and a night I will also never forget. Brian Murphys goal was played over and over that night..:D

Another great memory in recent times by the current Kildare panel under mcgeeney..it was of course the All Ireland Quarter final V Meath who would of thought after getting knocked out by Louth in the first round in 2010 we would go on the run we did. It was remarkable the way they refocused, regrouped and took us on an incredible journey following them week in week out. I will never forget the atmosphere at that quarter final Kildare fans covering one side of the hill. Meath fans the other..things werent looking good when that penalty was awarded but my god kildare didnt take it lying down. Jimmers with that super cool dummy sending Brendan Murphy the wrong way to rattle the net..The lilywhites going nuts lol and then when smithys goal went in to, the lillies were ecstatic. I remember seen the lads on the hill taking off their jerseys and hopping around the place.. Who can forget JD pointing to the air and shouting "put it up" to the umpires when he scored that beaut and I remember thinking days like this dont happen to often to us lillywhites..savour every minute of it. I couldnt believe we were in the semis and the performance we were after giving to earn our place. I stood in the rain for a few minutes to take it all in. As a fan following Kildare for years I put that win up there with my greatest memories. Judging by fellow lillywhite fans and the aftermath reaction that day. It meant alot to them to. I can just about imagine what would happen if we were to bring home some silverware soon. I just hope for all the hard work, commitment and dedication to the lilywhite jersey these lads will get their much deserved day in the sun and when it does happen ohh its goina be special..:D

The ':p' at the end of the comment for most people would show that I'm taking the piss.

I will be willing to take that bet with sir, how much would you like to give me? I get to as many Kildare games as possible which unfortunately is not as many as I would like owing to the fact that I'm based outside of Ireland for the majority of the year. Oh and the jersey I have is actually the one I managed to blag off Tadgh Fennin. After me and 3 mates walked down the tunnel in Croker after beating Westmeath in the Leinster Q/F (2004 I think it was). We even got to have a bit of a kick about on the pitch, god bless ****ty Croker security!

Lol using an iPhone didn't spot the P lol see I'm just showing my defensive nAture for the lads I hate them being criticised as I know how hard they really work for the county!!

98 final was a sad day but behind us lads this group of players could be on the verge in next year or so to do something really special.. Well I hope so...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

I remember that day really well.It was a scorcher and Dublin were playing Wexford in the other semi final after. Kildare were so bad that Laois were hand passing the ball from the full back line in plenty of space and kicking scores once they got to within 25 metres of the goal.There was very little kick passing in the buildup.

I would have to say the 2008 loss to Wicklow in Croke Park was something similar.

So so many sad days, and I know the old saying about havin to loose one to win one thing.....but it's really hard to accept all those bad decisions,poor finishing and just bad luck at times.
    The donegal game last year left me numb..we had gone from almost accepting defeat, to leading, to complete and utter dejection when that fecking point went over. It was the same against down year before when we hit the crossbar..

I can only try and imagine how the players must have felt after those two defeats especially. Cause I know I was in tears....
    .you would imagine after following Kildare all my life I'd be used to heartache..but those two defeats really hurt, maybe it's because I can see that we have the making of a damn fine team, who I genuinely believe are as good as Dublin , and given a wee bit of luck and self belief can finally bring Sam home, and make the taste of victory all the sweeter and finally allow me to watch the 98 final.
    I'm not bitter and I don't begrudge the other counties their success, but when football means so so much to thousands of genuine Kildare supporters,it's sad to come so close and just not have our day in the sun..
    But hope springs eternal, and every year we come back for more hardship...but this year 2012 will be our year......you read it here first :-)

Cilldara Abu ;)

http://www.boylesports.com/UK/1/SportsHome#navigationtypes=OTHERSPORT&btag=2256&bo-navigation=top,24.1,182.1,838.1&market-group=243569.1

Where do ye think the value is then? Lillies at 12/1 is quite short tbh, cus I'd only be looking at the e/w bet.

http://www.boylesports.com/UK/1/SportsHome#navigationtypes=OTHERSPORT&btag=2256&bo-navigation=top,24.1,182.1,838.1&market-group=243569.1

Where do ye think the value is then? Lillies at 12/1 is quite short tbh, cus I'd only be looking at the e/w bet.
    throw 20 euro at it.. im gonna throw 50 on em to lift sam anyways....

remember fellas believe in them, i do anyways :)

I also said that I wasn't gonna bet on Cheltenham this year round and did so well til Gold Cup friday then blew my food money for the week, so i'll probably end up dropping at least €20!

I also said that I wasn't gonna bet on Cheltenham this year round and did so well til Gold Cup friday then blew my food money for the week, so i'll probably end up dropping at least €20!

Any more word on earleys fitness and availability to play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭lilywhites28

Best of luck to Kildare tomorrow. Fingers crossed we come away with a win and head to tuam with promotion within our grasp. The weather is to be good also so expect a good crowd in Conleths and plenty of lilywhite fans in the white tomorrow to shout on the lads. Come on the lillies!

• Advertisement

1/8 kildare to win this one and the bookies dont get it wrong to often so we should win this one handy by 14-17 points i'm going with.
    Up kildare:D:D

Advertisement