Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

National Football League 2020

Comments

The ups and downs between 2 and 3 would have been really important but it might be better to end up relegated to 3 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Good to see that the Plague hasn't impacted on your obsession :D

Parnell might have to do with fact that it can't hold home crowds for Dublin footballers? But you know that.

On more serious note, hard to see any county with championship ambitions fielding teams any stronger than for O'Byrne, McKenna etc. Good that they are going ahead all the same as it is in reality more important for a lot of counties to get promoted or avoid relegation than any hope of progressing in championship.
    Sorry now but I'm not one who obsesses over Dublin, where they play and all that goes with it.
    I've seen enough games Dublin v Mayo and Dublin v Kerry games in their five in a row run to realise that it's a very thin line between winning five in a row or just a single All Ireland.
    I just noticed that they were back in Parnell and commented on it as it does get a lot of debate here.

Anyway on the league I'm guessing a team like Mayo who would have some level of championship interests would also be interested in helping their division one status alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Bonniedog wrote: »
    hard to see any county with championship ambitions fielding teams any stronger than for O'Byrne, McKenna etc. Good that they are going ahead all the same as it is in reality more important for a lot of counties to get promoted or avoid relegation than any hope of progressing in championship.

I'd expect fairly strong teams picked especially for counties that are pushing for promotion or Mayo for example looking to avoid relegation.

Dublin on the other hand will likely pick a 2nd string sides in their two remaining NFL ties and the same process for their first few Leinster championships matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,925 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Dublin on the other hand will likely pick a 2nd string sides in their two remaining NFL ties and the same process for their first few Leinster championships matches.

Fielding a 2nd string team in a knockout championship match would be very risky

Anything can happen and Westmeath won't lie down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Great news. Was thinking they’d have to do something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,842 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ideal for people wanting to do coding on Intercounty games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,383 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Where does it say “every NFL game to be streamed live” ?

Where does it say “every NFL game to be streamed live” ?

https://www.gaago.ie/matches/live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,383 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Many of them are unavailable in Ireland though.

• Advertisement

All of the ones marked as unavailable are on Irish TV.

These live and Cavan Kildare delayed in full at 6pm on TG4 Sunday.

https://twitter.com/fotoole13/status/1315559075812343811

I think the ones unavailable are live on TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

This Armagh Roscommon game is a tough watch.

Good to see intercounty back

Cavan_King wrote: »
    This Armagh Roscommon game is a tough watch.
    I thought it was enjoyable 2nd half. Best team won.

Result round up.

Dublin 1-20 Meath 0-18

Armagh 0-15 Roscommon 3-10

Cork 5-19 Louth 0-16,

Derry 2-14 Longford 0-12

Carlow 2-17 Sligo 2-15,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Delighted with Meath performance with 8 first team players missing eg McGill, Lavin, Gallagher, Ryan, Harnan, McMahon, Wallace, Newman.
    The closest any leinster team has got to Dublin in the championship or league in 7 years, since Meath lost by 7 points in 2013 leinster final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Result round up.

Dublin 1-20 Meath 0-18

Cork 5-19 Louth 0-16,

Derry 2-14 Longford 0-12

Carlow 2-17 Sligo 2-15,

I posted that before half time. Second half was considerably better.

The final table for Division 4 will be interesting

from this round Waterford vs London is not taking place

but in the last round Antrim vs Waterford and London vs Carlow will not take place due to covid restrictions but Antrim and Carlow are fighting for promotion. If those 2 get full points due to Waterford/London conceding the game then it cause an issue

• Advertisement

Result round up.

Dublin 1-20 Meath 0-18

Cork 5-19 Louth 0-16,

Derry 2-14 Longford 0-12

Carlow 2-17 Sligo 2-15,

There was more games than that wasn’t there? 6 or 7?

There was more games than that wasn’t there? 6 or 7?
    Posted up the other results earlier.

Ah right sorry, seen ‘round up’ and thought wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

PTH2009 wrote: »

but in the last round Antrim vs Waterford and London vs Carlow will not take place due to covid restrictions but Antrim and Carlow are fighting for promotion. If those 2 get full points due to Waterford/London conceding the game then it cause an issue

Both London games will be walkovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Where was it said that Antrim - Waterford wasn't taking place?

So far Galway look like they’ve never played the game before.

• Advertisement

Where was it said that Antrim - Waterford wasn't taking place?

Waterford aren't travelling up next weekend

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/10/15/national-football-leagues-resume-but-not-for-deise/

Strange article. It's based on the premise that no cross border games are to take place at all, which is clearly untrue. Armagh hosted Roscommon yesterday, Derry hosted Longford, same with Wicklow vs. Antrim.

Even more strange is this section, considering that the Donegal-Tyrone game throws in in 90 minutes:
    ....(Waterford's) game in Belfast will not be taking place. It can be expected that the same criteria will apply to the Division 1 games involving Tyrone the first of which is the big cross border clash with neighbours Donegal...
    I think Waterford were looking for an excuse to get out of a long trip up the country for what is (for them) a meaningless game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Galway are atrious. Mayo playing like a challenge match here.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Assuming it goes ahead, why is the Kerry-Donegal match being played at a different time to the rest of Division 1? Seems strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

grbear wrote: »
    Assuming it goes ahead, why is the Kerry-Donegal match being played at a different time to the rest of Division 1? Seems strange.

Only thing I can figure out is the length it is to travel for Donegal. Nothing else would make sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

It does not make a lot of sense but having said that Kerry will win the league if they triumph irrespective of other results and Donegal are safe with little to play for outside of pride in the jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It fixed since start of the year. GAA to an extent dose not need to have all final divisional match at the same time. Head to head results count first before scoring averages. Even if scoring averages come into play they tend to be very little that final game will.influence it by.

If Kerry win they are guaranteed the title of Dublin win and Kerry draw or lose the title is theirs. Galway need Kerry to lose and they will win to claim title. Donegal need to win and Dublin/ Galway draw to win title.

Scoring difference only comes into play if Dublin win and Kerry draw a or Galway/Dublin draw and Kerry lose.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

They were all supposed to be played at the same time back in spring so it just seems odd to have them at different times now.

Creates extra uncertainty around the Galway-Dublin match on Sunday. If Kerry win then why play the other game, it'd be a dead rubber. Longford have already said they won't be playing this week against Cork because it's a meaningless fixture. Seems unfair to potentially put Joyce and Farrell in a spot where they have to decide on Saturday night if they are going ahead with the match on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

They were all supposed to be played at the same time back in spring so it just seems odd to have them at different times now.

Creates extra uncertainty around the Galway-Dublin match on Sunday. If Kerry win then why play the other game, it'd be a dead rubber. Longford have already said they won't be playing this week against Cork because it's a meaningless fixture. Seems unfair to potentially put Joyce and Farrell in a spot where they have to decide on Saturday night if they are going ahead with the match on Sunday.

I doubt Galway want to go into the championship on the back of the hammering they shipped to Mayo so I can't see them not wanting to fulfill the fixture if only to see what the players reaction is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

threeball wrote: »
    I doubt Galway want to go into the championship on the back of the hammering they shipped to Mayo so I can't see them not wanting to fulfill the fixture if only to see what the players reaction is.
    Exactly
    They, not Dublin, should be denied the opportunity to play another warm-up match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Waterford give Antrim a walk over in Division 4 so it changes everything there. Antrim go top, and wicklow who were top now drop to 5th. Their huge points gain in the game vs Antrim also gone so have to go to wexford and win to get promoted

Mushy wrote: »
    Waterford give Antrim a walk over in Division 4 so it changes everything there. Antrim go top, and wicklow who were top now drop to 5th. Their huge points gain in the game vs Antrim also gone so have to go to wexford and win to get promoted

Does a draw not put them and Wexford on 9 with Antrim (who I presume are on 9 now) and they have a way better score difference and the head to head?

Only going by the last table I could find there unless something has changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Does a draw not put them and Wexford on 9 with Antrim (who I presume are on 9 now) and they have a way better score difference and the head to head?
    Score difference can't be used in the event of one of the teams getting a walkover. So if Wexford and Wicklow draw it''ll probably require a playoff (potentially involving Limerick too, if they draw as well).

Very sporting of Antrim, now that I see the above tweet.

Be interesting to see if they take them up on it.

• Advertisement

Score difference can't be used in the event of one of the teams getting a walkover. So if Wexford and Wicklow draw it''ll probably require a playoff (potentially involving Limerick too, if they draw as well).

Very sporting of Antrim, now that I see the above tweet.
    Makes sense.
    I’d forgot all about Limerick too. That’s a seriously tight division.

I don't see what's in it for Antrim TBH.

They run the (small, in this case) risk of dropping points if they play the match as opposed to having the points in the bag. They've no need to improve their score difference since getting a walkover will make them immune to score difference, whereas they'll need to win by 25 points to overtake Wexford. I don't get the impression it's much of a PR move as nobody blamed them for Waterford pulling out to begin with.

Maybe they really want to banish the ghosts of last weekend's tanking by Wicklow before the championship.

I don't see what's in it for Antrim TBH.

They run the (small, in this case) risk of dropping points if they play the match as opposed to having the points in the bag. They've no need to improve their score difference since getting a walkover will make them immune to score difference, whereas they'll need to win by 25 points to overtake Wexford. I don't get the impression it's much of a PR move as nobody blamed them for Waterford pulling out to begin with.

Maybe they really want to banish the ghosts of last weekend's tanking by Wicklow before the championship.

By the sounds of the tweet it just sounds like they want to get promoted on the field rather than taking advantage of the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I'd say theres some thinking that 9 points wont be enough to get promoted (limerick and wexford/wicklow win), but then even 10 points they've decimated their points difference last week. I'll go the non cynical route and say fair play to them wanting to win it on the pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I'd say both teams would just rather have the game under their belts as the championship is about to begin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,117 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Mark Jackson from wicklow deserves a place in the team or the week probably the best goalkeeper in the country outside of division 1 and as good as Morgan or beggen had a serious game in wexford Park tod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Two things to note from yesterday Limerick are Div 4 champions as they beat Wicklow in the head to head earlier in the year. Cavan are relegated as they lost to Clare in the head to head earlier in the year.

Slava Ukrainii

Never thought Cavan would go from that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

TG4 showing a meaningless game instead of Mayo v Tyrone !

Advertisement