Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event - October 13th 2020

Options
  • 06-10-2020 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭

apple-iphone-12-event-invite-hi-speed.jpeg?w=800

Apple event just announced for October. Almost certain to be new iPhones released at this one after the no show at last months event.

Other rumours point to Apple's AirTags, new ARM Macs, macOS 11 Big Sur release date and hopefully a few surprises.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

I’m in the market for a new Mac, so would be delighted if they show up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

The expectation is for an entry level MacBook running on Apples new ARM chips. Whether that’s an Air or Apple uses the MacBook branding again is still up in the air.

I’m curious whether any of their new rumoured audio stuff will be released. The headphones and HomePod mini have been rumoured for a long time. The Apple TV is also overdue an update. It’s a lot to fit into an event though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

DubDJ wrote: »
    The expectation is for an entry level MacBook running on Apples new ARM chips. Whether that’s an Air or Apple uses the MacBook branding again is still up in the air.

I’m curious whether any of their new rumoured audio stuff will be released. The headphones and HomePod mini have been rumoured for a long time. The Apple TV is also overdue an update. It’s a lot to fit into an event though.

With the new arm chips will we see an iPad Pro with full Mac OS ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

godtabh wrote: »

I would doubt it - seems like apple are very protective of the iPadOS and do not want to degrade it by putting a MacOS on their iPad.

The AppleTV is dead in it's current format as far as I'm concerned - I have three of them in my house and they get little or no use anymore. The smart TV's with embedded apps are an easier option.

Yeah I can’t see Apple unifying macOS with iOS devices or vice versa. Although they have been moving things a little closer together recently, if they do eventually try to create a hybrid OS I can’t imagine we’ll be seeing it anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

DubDJ wrote: »

Unless they relegate HomePod mini and AirPod Studio to press releases it does seem unlikely to announce ARM MacBooks next Tuesday.

I had my eye on an ARM MBP, but going by the A14 leaks, a Mac variant of that chip even in a MacBook would be class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

godtabh wrote: »

Can't imagine Apple giving us something so useful and affordable :)

Imagine though, an iPad Pro that when docked to a usb hub/monitor boots into Mac OS!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Seems to be a few reports of a homepod mini but not a homepod 2, strange that the homepod has never officially been released over here

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Hopefully the Ipad Air is available to order on this date too. Presume its order date is being held up for the presentation of the new iPhones with the same A14 chip.

Yeah it looks like the HomePod mini could be released at this event. Wonder if they plan to roll out HomePod to more countries or to keep it to the small list currently supported.

https://9to5mac.com/2020/10/07/homepod-mini-2/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭turfthrower

I have two HomePods in my house - one bought up North and another bought for about half the price on eBay. They make a fantastic stereo pair, and are easily the best sounding stereo system I've ever owned - but that's what they are, a stereo system for playing music on. As smart speakers, they're sub par. They don't do much that's actually useful, other than play music.

HomePod Minis would need to be really cheap to compete with the smart speaker market, and the question then becomes could they keep the sound quality? But I suppose a HomePod mini for 100 or 150 euro with okay sound, and a full HomePod for 200 could do well. Will be interesting to see how they pitch this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

I have two HomePods in my house - one bought up North and another bought for about half the price on eBay. They make a fantastic stereo pair, and are easily the best sounding stereo system I've ever owned - but that's what they are, a stereo system for playing music on. As smart speakers, they're sub par. They don't do much that's actually useful, other than play music.

HomePod Minis would need to be really cheap to compete with the smart speaker market, and the question then becomes could they keep the sound quality? But I suppose a HomePod mini for 100 or 150 euro with okay sound, and a full HomePod for 200 could do well. Will be interesting to see how they pitch this.

I agree - I have mine set up as a stereo pair and they are great -but as a smart speaker they are average at best.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Really looking forward to this.

Hopefully we’ll see AirPower too. And the AirPods studio leaks are exciting.

Damn, next Friday morning is going to be expensive!

Mr.S wrote: »
    AirTags would be useful but I hope they don’t overprice them. Tile are cheap but then charge a monthly sub for any of the premium features which is a bit mad.

I’m gonna guess €100 for three.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I’m gonna guess €100 for three.

If they're any more than that, they'll be valuable enough that you'd have to put a tracker on them so you don't lose them.

(I bought my wife, who's always misplacing her keys and bags, two Nut trackers a couple of years ago. She managed to lose them before she took them out of the packets to use them. I eventually found them 2 months later).

I’ve been saving up for a new iPhone since last Christmas so I can’t wait. I’ve been using a iPhone 6s Plus since launch and it’s on its last legs, so iPhone 12 pro max for me please

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/10/09/leaker-homepod-mini-will-cost-99-next-month/

Projected cost of 99 dollars for a HomePod mini. If the sound quality is even half as good as the bigger one, that'll be a steal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/10/09/leaker-homepod-mini-will-cost-99-next-month/

Projected cost of 99 dollars for a HomePod mini. If the sound quality is even half as good as the bigger one, that'll be a steal.

sound quality is everything with the homepod for me , don't really use any of the smart functions , i'd like to stereo it up with a mini in my bedroom

Seems to be a lot of credibility given to today’s leaks of the iPhone lineup and HomePod.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/9/21508948/iphone-12-mini-pro-max-release-date-price-features-dolby-vision-xdr-display-storage-capacity

Still very undecided about this years iPhone, the lack of 120Hz was a big disappointment for me. Seems to be a redesign and usual spec and camera bumps. Nothing really big in it.

The HomePod mini at $99 would be a must buy for me. At double the price of the echo dot it’s worth it for the added privacy and integration with the Apple eco-system (eg AirPlay and Homekit). Going into the event I’m more looking forward to the HomePod instead of the iPhone at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭danois

Sorry this is slightly off subject. My daughters looking for a new phone for her 18th. Is there a chance I might get the 11 or even the X at a better price if they announce a new model at this event?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Mr.S wrote: »
    Yes, the previous 'non pro' models should be discounted for a while - especially from the networks. The Pro models will likely be discontinued straight away. But, worth waiting to see what the pricing of the new models will be. The rumoured new iPhone Mini should be €699.

Won’t the mini be the same price as the current 11 here? So 800+

The 11 is also $699 in the states

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

3 years since my last purchase. So most likely a 12 pro this time round

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

How much do pro max cost in Ireland I heard a rumour that iPhone 12 might be cheaper this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭pad199207

How much do pro max cost in Ireland I heard a rumour that iPhone 12 might be cheaper this year?

My pro max tore €1300 out of my pocket last December.

It’s a bit strange that I’m waiting for this event to buy a product that’s already been released but isn’t available to buy yet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

adox wrote: »
    It’s a bit strange that I’m waiting for this event to buy a product that’s already been released but isn’t available to buy yet. :)

Well the product is not released or do you mean all the details that have been leaked for weeks now?

It happens every year now.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Well the product is not released or do you mean all the details that have been leaked for weeks now?

It happens every year now.

Talking about the iPad Air.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

adox wrote: »
    Talking about the iPad Air.

Oh sorry, misunderstood. Yes I might be in the market for that too

*Spoiler Alert

I know the event is just a few hours away but looks like most of todays announcements have just leaked.

iPhone 12 lineup: https://9to5mac.com/2020/10/13/iphone-12-lineup-images-leak-colors/

Third-party magnetic wireless charger: https://9to5mac.com/2020/10/13/magnetic-wireless-charger-iphone-12/

HomePod mini: https://9to5mac.com/2020/10/13/homepod-mini-confirmed-for-iphone-12-event-today-smaller-design-with-spherical-shape/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Hopefully *something* wasn't leaked! The blue on the 6.1 pro is nice...

Advertisement