Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ah poor Christie !

Options
  • 20-06-2021 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭

Struggling to feel sorry for Christie Dignam of Aslan, recently he appeared in a paper or the independent.ie crying his heart out that he's down to his last 300 euros. Banging on that the government should be giving him grants to get back on the road etc.

I'm sorry but I don't feel sorry for him. He's been living off the fame of the few songs he has for too long , I personally think if he wants to make money again he needs to release new good music, much like other Irish artists who have not been complaining (soda blonde etc) or he needs to get an actual job.

Why he can't pick up a job is beyond me, it's not like he's some A Lister celebrity that shouldn't have to work, he's another human like the rest of us. Many an A Lister and celebs who were big in the 90's etc have faded away from fame and gotten jobs and they are still happy.

Christie was also on a radio show a few months back too talking about it there he had bills to pay and so did the other band members etc. So it's not the first time he's cried poverty.

It actually makes for a terrible read too... Here it is:

https://independent.ie/entertainment/music/aslans-christy-dignam-im-down-to-mylast-300-im-considering-becoming-a-delivery-driver-40559643.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Why he can't pick up a job is beyond me, it's not like he's some A Lister celebrity that shouldn't have to work, he's another human like the rest of us.

He's terminally ill and currently undergoing chemotherapy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I wasn't aware of that until now.

So why isn't he claiming sick from the social and a medical card etc ?

Rather than flat out saying the government should give him money just like that.

But also if he is that ill then why does he want to continue touring ? Surely he should be resting. I'm sorry but it doesn't add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

He was right about one thing, it's a crazy world.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Doublebusy

He went to the newspapers to sell his "broke" story and got paid for it. Id also imagine its to get people talking and buying aslans back log of music. So your helping him bringing attention to the fact on this fairly popular web page. Good on ya - you probably dont realise but your "poor Christie" thread may do him some good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Doublebusy wrote: »
    He went to the newspapers to sell his "broke" story and got paid for it. Id also imagine its to get people talking and buying aslans back log of music. So your helping him bringing attention to the fact on this fairly popular web page. Good on ya - you probably dont realise but your "poor Christie" thread may do him some good

If it does then so be it, I never said I hated the guy or wish him misfortune, I just don't feel sorry for him or buy his sob story

• Advertisement

And he's over 60. Employers are ageist as fu*k.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

There should be social supports available to him. I wonder has he looked into them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

I wasn't aware of that until now.

So why isn't he claiming sick from the social and a medical card etc ?

Rather than flat out saying the government should give him money just like that.

It's mentioned in the article that you linked to. I'm sure he is claiming all of those things, but that won't pay his mortgage. They're a hardworking band, Aslan, but some of the venues I've seen them in... well, I doubt they're loaded. I wouldn't begrudge them the bit of publicity.

If it does then so be it, I never said I hated the guy or wish him misfortune, I just don't feel sorry for him or buy his sob story

Grand
    You can feel that way

• Registered Users Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

And has been ill for many years too.

• Advertisement

Did he spend it all on drugs?

Did he spend it all on drugs?

No. He's been clean for years and has worked hard despite illness

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Just let him take the peno for fcuks sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Just let him take the chemo for fcuks sake!

Fyp

Struggling to feel sorry for Christie Dignam of Aslan, recently he appeared in a paper or the independent.ie crying his heart out that he's down to his last 300 euros. Banging on that the government should be giving him grants to get back on the road etc.

I'm sorry but I don't feel sorry for him. He's been living off the fame of the few songs he has for too long , I personally think if he wants to make money again he needs to release new good music, much like other Irish artists who have not been complaining (soda blonde etc) or he needs to get an actual job.

Why he can't pick up a job is beyond me, it's not like he's some A Lister celebrity that shouldn't have to work, he's another human like the rest of us. Many an A Lister and celebs who were big in the 90's etc have faded away from fame and gotten jobs and they are still happy.

Christie was also on a radio show a few months back too talking about it there he had bills to pay and so did the other band members etc. So it's not the first time he's cried poverty.

https://independent.ie/entertainment/music/aslans-christy-dignam-im-down-to-mylast-300-im-considering-becoming-a-delivery-driver-40559643.html

Nobodies going to employ a 60 year old who's never worked other than gigging and who's going through cancer treatment

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

He's probably claiming invalidity pension or some other social welfare payment.

Even so, it's extremely difficult to live on €200 (approx) per week. He's very frail, I have some sympathy for the man. He's lucky to be still alive.

Anyone else singing /whistling / humming an Aslan song now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭gifted

He's terminally ill for an awful awful long time?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,885 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I guess the royalties have dried up?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Doublebusy wrote: »
    Anyone else singing /whistling / humming an Aslan song now

This is? Crazy world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's gas how some people's limited abilities will only allow them to think "get a job" as a solution to something. Like it's so bloody simple to just go out and "get a job". Even if Christy Dignam was ten years younger, he'd find it next to impossible to get work, never mind the fact that he's now 61. And this is before you even consider the fact that he's got cancer, which will act another blocker on his chances to "get a job" when an employer is aware of that.

"Get a job"... :pac:

gifted wrote: »
    He's terminally ill for an awful awful long time?

That happens, being diagnosed as terminally ill doesn't always mean you're in the final months of your life. People can live for years after a terminal diagnosis.

I did think his prognosis was more positive initially though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Internet’s funny. I bet if you were aware of the mans situation you wouldn’t have posted the thread. It’s ok to say that and just drop it. You don’t have to maintain a position just because you went to the trouble of typing.

Like the way the real world works. We won’t judge. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pale rider

Is it so difficult for you to do the slightest bit of background before you decide to vent on an Internet forum, get yourself a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

Was it just the one tune he had? ‘Crazy world’

Unrelated, but I always thought 'Pretty Thing' was their best song.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

He lives in a home worth (at current market values) around 450k. Drives a nice 142D merc, was on the "living with lucy" a while back, another pay check along with the indo story.

Regardless of illness or age, begging to the taxpayer for funds is enough to get peoples backs up.

Meh....

Why doesn't he set up a go fund me page? if each fan gave a euro 💶

Fils wrote: »

You'll know this one also

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I suppose a lot of artists with no other marketable skills now will have to do other jobs to hold them over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,885 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Fils wrote: »

You've never heard This Is? Have a listen, Christy might get a few cents from it...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement