Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christmas Fm

• 23-11-2014 1:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

So all 29th of November its back. 94.3 in Dublin. Anyone got the frequency s for the rest of the country?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

Dublin – 94.3 FM

Kildare – 88.1 FM

North Wicklow – 99.5 FM

Cork City – 106.7 FM

Galway City – 89.5 FM

Limerick City – 105.5 FM

South East – 103.8 FM

North East – 101.6 FM

North Midlands – 99.4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Mr Snow wrote: »
    Dublin – 94.3 FM

Kildare – 88.1 FM

North Wicklow – 99.5 FM

Cork City – 106.7 FM

Galway City – 89.5 FM

Limerick City – 105.5 FM

South East – 103.8 FM

North East – 101.6 FM

North Midlands – 99.4

Great this Saturday. Any idea where donations going this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Age Action.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭salad dodger

Mr Snow wrote: »
    Dublin – 94.3 FM

Kildare – 88.1 FM

North Wicklow – 99.5 FM

Cork City – 106.7 FM

Galway City – 89.5 FM

Limerick City – 105.5 FM

South East – 103.8 FM

North East – 101.6 FM

North Midlands – 99.4

Not broadcasting in northwest?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Presume it'll be on this week for tests as per most years. 105.5 in Limerick was on 2-3 days early last year, including a weekend on air testing. Not sure how the weekend start this year will affect that.

• Advertisement

101.6 in the north east was poor last year . Found ourselves using 94.3 from Dubln . Hopefully they have found a better tx site or a stronger tx

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Presume 101.6 has directional restrictions due to Today FM on 101.8 in Dublin

marno21 wrote: »
    Presume 101.6 has directional restrictions due to Today FM on 101.8 in Dublin

Maybe so . You d think they would use a better frequency

105.5 Limerick is now on air with audio , RDS: XMAS :D

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Not broadcasting in northwest?
    Not that I'm aware of. Hasn't done in the past. Wifi radio is yer only man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

There was a dj on there before called Keith Shanley I think. A good Dj, why isn't he on any of the main stations? He used be on Sunshine I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,581 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There was a dj on there before called Keith Shanley I think. A good Dj, why isn't he on any of the main stations? He used be on Sunshine I think.

Was involved in bidding for the country licence during the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

L1011 wrote: »
    Was involved in bidding for the country licence during the year.

Thanks. I hadn't heard about a country licence. I assume he didn't get it then?

He was quite good as an interviewer on (I think) Sunshine but he was only on it when filling in for the main presenter at the time. That was a couple of years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I enjoy this station. Great to have it back.

Thanks. I hadn't heard about a country licence. I assume he didn't get it then?

He was quite good as an interviewer on (I think) Sunshine but he was only on it when filling in for the main presenter at the time. That was a couple of years back.

Sunshine's licence is (allegedly) "country" and was up for renewal, Sunshine got it again. That would ensure he's not going to be on Sunshine again anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Keith Shanley sounds like the presenters from the smaller pirates of the '80s, which he was! Sunshine do not want that kind/style of presenter - they want someone who just does the odd link and station id. That's my theory anyway!

But the likes of Keith Shanley are very welcome in Christmas FM. Many of the regulars involved with the station (both behind the scenes and in front) never got the big gigs in licensed radio. Indeed, many of them have non-radio day jobs. They held on to that homely style of the smaller pirates

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Radioman44

I heard him on Midlands 103 several times this year and I notice from his Facebook page he has a regular slot there on Thursday Nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Any ideas of the line up? From memory, regular presenters have been Keith Shanley, as mentioned, Gerry Wilson, Lynsey Dolan, Isobel Tobin, Niall Cassidy and Mike Moloney to name but a few. Wasn't there a Lucianne White too? I hope I'm right on all the names.

101.6 in the north east is not great . I find myself tuning into the dublin 94.3 around Drogheda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Christmas FM also list UPC Channel 900, alas they have not appeared on UPC.

• Advertisement

I know its hard to please everyone but disappointed there not raising money for the homeless this year. I feel its the biggest problem in this country at the moment.maybe a joint charity would have been better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I hear Colin Edwards formily of 96fm in cork on it tonight!

byte

castle2012 wrote: »
    I know its hard to please everyone but disappointed there not raising money for the homeless this year. I feel its the biggest problem in this country at the moment.maybe a joint charity would have been better
    Can't really be supporting the same charity all the time, I guess. People would get miffed at that too.

Age Action would also be quite important this time of year also.

byte wrote: »
    Can't really be supporting the same charity all the time, I guess. People would get miffed at that too.

Exactly. There are so many worthy charities and each year Christmas FM tries to give a different one or two a chance.

I heard Bernie Jamieson today. I think she has been involved since its first year - 2008. That means that Christmas FM is on its seventh run. Apart possibly from college stations, no other station has had so many temporary runs. I think it is a special case because it always donates to charities and of course there is the whole Christmas spirit aspect to it.

Are the same guys in charge, namely Paul Shephard, Water Hegarty, Garv Rigby and Daragh O'Sullivan? They have been there since the beginning. Sadly, one of the other station founders Jim Kenny died in 2012.

I had a quick look at the website - I can't see any presenters listed. Is Niall O'Keeffe involved again this year? He is another person involved since the beginning. AFAIK, he also has a management role.

byte wrote: »

I know age action is important but equally we have people dieing on the streets, 700 homeless kids in emergency accommodation surely they should have had joint this year

byte

I had a quick look at the website - I can't see any presenters listed. Is Niall O'Keeffe involved again this year? He is another person involved since the beginning. AFAIK, he also has a management role.
    Yeah, he's involved this year. I saw him mention it on Twitter recently that he's doing 7-9pm on Friday's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

I know age action is important but equally we have people dieing on the streets, 700 homeless kids in emergency accommodation surely they should have had joint this year

No pleasing some people at all is there!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Are the same guys in charge, namely Paul Shephard, Water Hegarty, Garv Rigby and Daragh O'Sullivan? They have been there since the beginning. Sadly, one of the other station founders Jim Kenny died in 2012.

I didn't think that Jim Kenny founded Christmas FM. Certainly he was involved with it for a few years but from the first run?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭letsgetloud

there's an app if it helps

• Advertisement

I didn't think that Jim Kenny founded Christmas FM. Certainly he was involved with it for a few years but from the first run?

Yep I think Jim was involved back in the early pirate days

Yep I think Jim was involved back in the early pirate days

Christmas FM was never a pirate station!! Some of the guys behind Christmas FM were behind Premier FM, which started as a pirate before getting temporary licenses some years ago. Maybe, that's what you are thinking of, although I don't think Jim was involved with it when it was a pirate.

As regards Jim's involvement with Christmas FM. I may be wrong in describing him as a founder or owner - I'm not sure. I'm fairly sure he was part of the original management team, though. He had already established a relationship with the other principals during his time with Premier FM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

It's now live on upc channel 900

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭Steve King

Has anyone got a list of this year's presenters and when they're on? When I last checked the website it had just the list of the show titles and their times.

Thanks.

No pleasing some people at all is there!'

Any of us keeping in touch with what's going on this year . Put on Joe Duffy, Primetime, rte news yesterday. Biggest crisis In this country is people homeless. I'm sorry if I sound selfish but can you imagine facing Christmas on the streets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Any of us keeping in touch with what's going on this year . Put on Joe Duffy, Primetime, rte news yesterday. Biggest crisis In this country is people homeless. I'm sorry if I sound selfish but can you imagine facing Christmas on the streets.

This is exactly why they got it right in their choice of charity.

Homelessness is front page news. Old people being isolated and alone in their homes is not.

Now, which is more deserving of having awareness raised by Christmas FM?

It's a Christmas radio station, not a political movement or a stick to beat the government with.

• Advertisement

This is exactly why they got it right in their choice of charity.

Homelessness is front page news. Old people being isolated and alone in their homes is not.

Now, which is more deserving of having awareness raised by Christmas FM?

It's a Christmas radio station, not a political movement or a stick to beat the government with.

This is nothing to do with politics its to do with what's right.
    Suicide was heavily political when the station used Aware and rightly so , it was the right choice to go with Aware at the time.

Why is it not available in the north west on FM,would be nice to have it on the car radio? I tried 99.4 but is patchy around Sligo town!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Suicide was heavily political when the station used Aware and rightly so , it was the right choice to go with Aware at the time.

If you feel so strongly about what Christmas FM is not doing to please you, you should apply next year and then you can bang on about the homeless situation all you want. You clearly have a problem with what Christmas FM are doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭radioland

If you feel so strongly about what Christmas FM is not doing to please you, you should apply next year and then you can bang on about the homeless situation all you want. You clearly have a problem with what Christmas FM are doing.

In my opinion Garvan & co do a great job at Christmas fm and promote a different charity each year. They're all volunteers and should be applauded . Other than knowing some of those involved, I've no connection whatsoever with the station

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

He fills in on Midlands 103 the odd time.

• Advertisement

You'll never select a charity that everyone agrees with. Personally i feel cancer services and palative care are more pressing than the homeless, which proves my point:o

As i said you'll never please 100% of people. Charities are welcome to make submissions to Christmas FM in the early part of the year and then the decision is made what charity to go with. If the specific charity you champion do not make a submission then they won't be considered, which i feel is very fair.

As i said you'll never please 100% of people. Charities are welcome to make submissions to Christmas FM in the early part of the year and then the decision is made what charity to go with. If the specific charity you champion do not make a submission then they won't be considered, which i feel is very fair.

That's great Claude, thanks for the clarity, I appreciate your response. Some people on this board think there opinion
    Is the only one that matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Christmas FM was never a pirate station!! Some of the guys behind Christmas FM were behind Premier FM, which started as a pirate before getting temporary licenses some years ago. Maybe, that's what you are thinking of, although I don't think Jim was involved with it when it was a pirate.

Radio Snowflake was however a pirate and first started back in 1982 in Sandymount.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Radioman44

He fills in on Midlands 103 the odd time.

Keith Shanley has presented Breakfast since the beginning of Christmas Fm. I "think" he's one of the last original presenters remaining on the station.

That's great Claude, thanks for the clarity, I appreciate your response. Some people on this board think there opinion
    Is the only one that matters.

Like you, clearly. You've been shouting dow everyone else all thread.

No i havent, Conversation closed , But as always you have to have the last word

No i havent, Conversation closed , But as always you have to have the last word

"as always" ? I haven't even encountered you previously on here so I've no idea where you're getting this from.

You spent multiple posts getting borderline abusive to anyone who didn't agree with you - if you can't realise that's what you were doing you really need to take a step back and look at your posts. This is especially important if you think it was other people refusing to take opinions on-board when it was, in fact, you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,154 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

homelessness is hi-lighted a lot and is being slowly dealt with by various charities. the charities christmas fm hi-light don't get as much if any exposure

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

L1011 wrote: »
    "as always" ? I haven't even encountered you previously on here so I've no idea where you're getting this from.

You spent multiple posts getting borderline abusive to anyone who didn't agree with you - if you can't realise that's what you were doing you really need to take a step back and look at your posts. This is especially important if you think it was other people refusing to take opinions on-board when it was, in fact, you.

As I said conversation closed. If you care to read my post s you ll see i accepted what claude said.There only one poster here continuing to throw abuse around . And I'm not wasting my time reading there post s . Good luck to all. Christmas fm love the music.

• Advertisement
Advertisement