Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Tonight I had a Christmas day dinner, minus the sprouts. Have an uncle in every year for a feed and a catch up. He must have had 3 stuffing balls, mine were the size of a tennis ball. The smile on his face when he finished, I sent him home with a dinner for tomorrow too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I was tempted to buy a Supervalu "Christmas Dinner" this evening for the craic and test. I slid off the sleeve for a look and for 5 quid, it's okay. Mash, roasted carrot and parsnip, sprouts and stuffed turkey and ham with gravy. No excuses at all.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I was tempted to buy a Supervalu "Christmas Dinner" this evening for the craic and test. I slid off the sleeve for a look and for 5 quid, it's okay. Mash, roasted carrot and parsnip, sprouts and stuffed turkey and ham with gravy. No excuses at all.:D

Ah not seen that! Thank you. With my shopping -fast coming up... ah not on the website... Their family ready meals eg lasagne and cottage pie are excellent value. E6.50 for 1.2 kg .

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/chilled-food-family-ready-meals/c-150300872

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Tonkotsu ramen from that I made from scratch.

z1c7pRFl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Looks fab, any chance of the recipe? Particularly for the daishi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Graces7 wrote: »
    Ah not seen that! Thank you. With my shopping -fast coming up... ah not on the website... Their family ready meals eg lasagne and cottage pie are excellent value. E6.50 for 1.2 kg .

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/chilled-food-family-ready-meals/c-150300872

Get yourself in for the Christmas ready meal as close to Christmas as possible. I'll review later in the week with photos. They also have a small Turkey breast piece for a fiver. Another option for Christmas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Dónal wrote: »
    After my son was born at 10:29 this morning, my dinner tonight is wheat, barley, sugar and yeast.

Ah huge congratulations Dónal :)

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Get yourself in for the Christmas ready meal as close to Christmas as possible. I'll review later in the week with photos. They also have a small Turkey breast piece for a fiver. Another option for Christmas.

Alas cannot go anywhere..car almost totally off the road and cannot replace it... they are the shop not too far away who deliver so I go by the website. Kind folk.

And I have a whole turkey in the freezer and by tomorrow will be well set up to cook a great dinner.... wrote it on the Christmas thread..

stocking up for the weeks ahead too.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Looks fab, any chance of the recipe? Particularly for the daishi.

I don't actually use a Dashi in this one. Its just pure pork bone broth and Shio tare recipe I have been working on.

Tonkotsu for me is really about a good strong pork broth and a good tare to bring out its flavours.

Ive posted the Shio tare recipe on my blog and Im going to post the Tonkotsu broth recipe soon:

Broth:

4 kg Pork femur(split), neck, spine bones
    500 g Pork back fat

Soak bones for a few hours in cold water, discard water, rinse, add fresh water then boil hard for 30 mins, rinse, discard water and scrub bones clean. Cover with fresh water about 2 inches above the bones. Note the level and keep the water topped up to here and bring to the boil. For the first hour skim any dark scum that floats to the top.

Add the back fat.

Boil hard while you can supervise and stir it a few times an hour to stop anything sticking to the bottom or bones burning. If you are sleeping or cant watch it, turn it right down to a very low simmer and bring back to the boil after.

I boiled/simmered mine for about 24 hours.

Strain the broth and discard all the solid matter.

Use an immersion blender at the end to emulsify the fat to make it turn more white.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

468076.jpg

Brought my dad out for wings. Here's my jd wings. He got sticky bbq, which he says we're a struggle. He'd have been alright with a kilo of wings, if he didn't get soup for a starter!

Only had half a bowl of porridge for breakfast, as I'm still full.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Double Beyond Burger in London, unreal. A meaty vegan burger. Had vegan gouda, chipotle mayo, pickles etc. Served with rosemary chips.

QN8HI6hl.jpg

Shio ramen with a clear chicken broth, chashu, marinated eggs, roasted tomatoes, scallions and garlic oil

gZRhjU1l.jpg

Main meal at lunchtime here.. Pasta with home made cheese sauce. Simple and delicious..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,875 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Busy day cleaning up after builders...so something quick...saw these new Pateks sachets in Tesco so picked up a couple in different flavours...pour over meat and veg and cook for 20 mins.

Roast Tandoori salmon with red pepper and red onion with a green salad with pomegranate that I found in the fridge

2jbnptx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

anewme wrote: »
    Busy day cleaning up after builders...so something quick...saw these new Pateks sachets in Tesco so picked up a couple in different flavours...pour over meat and veg and cook for 20 mins.

Roast Tandoori salmon with red pepper and red onion with a green salad with pomegranate that I found in the fridge

Ohh are those the paste pots? I've been keeping an eye on Sainsburys for the last while to see if they were in stock yet. Were they any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,875 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Ohh are those the paste pots? I've been keeping an eye on Sainsburys for the last while to see if they were in stock yet. Were they any good?

No I saw those little paste pots in packs of two. These are like a foil pouch, you just pour over the meat and veggies. There are two flavours, tikka and lemon and corriandor. I tried the tikka, and also bought the lemon one which I will try again.

For a quick easy tasy meal, they were lovely. The tikka was lovely on the salmon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Well it certainly looks delicious. I'll have to look for those sachets.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Hospital food!

Chicken and mushroom vol au vents with potato croquettes. Tasted great after fasting since yesterday.

20181217-170740.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Chicken, mushroom and spring onion pie in a sauce made from crem freche, mustard and chicken stock.

I just cooked the chicken etc in the pie dish over one of the gas rings, saved on the washing up.

Pie filling made last night here.

IMG-20181217-173931.jpg

Added pastry this evening when I got in from work. Brushed with a bit of milk and dash of cracked pepper.

IMG-20181217-173955.jpg

Into the oven for 25 mins and out come this bad boy.

IMG-20181217-172649.jpg

Was planning originally to have with mash, but in the end up I decided to just eat as is.

IMG-20181217-173026.jpg

Just the thing to come into after being out in the elements most of the day.

Today was a good day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Chicken, mushroom and spring onion pie in a sauce made from crem freche, mustard and chicken stock.

I just cooked the chicken etc in the pie dish over one of the gas rings, saved on the washing up.

Pie filling made last night here.

Added pastry this evening when I got in from work. Brushed with a bit of milk and dash of cracked pepper.

Into the oven for 25 mins and out come this bad boy.

Was planning originally to have with mash, but in the end up I decided to just eat as is.

Just the thing to come into after being out in the elements most of the day.

Today was a good day.

Cooked on the gas ring?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

magentis wrote: »
    Cooked on the gas ring?

Yeah.

On a gas cooker.

shutterstock_gas_ring.jpg?x=442&y=293&crop=1

Turkey burgers tonight, made with mince, garlic, onion, breadcrumbs, egg, parsley, salt and pepper. Toppings are smashed avocado, a chilli/ketchup/mayo sauce, and brie. Served on a brioche bun.

Empty plates afterwards!

20181217-191342-crop-453x452.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Cottage pie with mixed veg and roasted parsnips.

IMG-5747.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Trying to use up some stuff from both fridge and freezer to free up space led to a quorn chunks and mushroom balti today. Just about enough freezer space for what I needed released and a major dent on the veg drawers in the fridge with mushrooms and peppers gone.

I've nearly totally gone off chicken cooked at home - for some reason I'm just unable to cook it properly despite being decent enough at everything else - so the quorn chunks are the closest I get now!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Went a bit Oldskool last night, homemade chicken nuggets and chips. I made the chicken nuggets on Christmas Eve because I had chicken breasts that were on their BB date and the chips were twice cooked, and the beans because, beans!

Love these types of dinners.

469023.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭twignme

A sausage and bean casserole with wilted spinach. Needed something simple after all the Christmas indulgences.

Also a simple dinner here - have frozen chopped turkey, so I did a one dish bake using that, rice, stock, coconut milk, curry powder and loads of veg. Tasted great! Also I do love those dinners that can be rustled up from stuff in the cupboard!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,348 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Used up the last of the turkey and ham in pizzas last night.

Tonight was a simple prawns with spaghetti, broccoli and tomatoes. Trying ever so hard to counter all the chocolate.....:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 499 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Homemade vegan lasagna.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Himself made oven risotto with tomato sauce from scratch. Absolutely delicious.

Advertisement