Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

tuxy wrote: »
    Did you think tasting sets were exempt from duty?

If the order is coming from within the EU why would you be charged duty? Is it to do with it being alcohol?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

If the order is coming from within the EU why would you be charged duty? Is it to do with it being alcohol?
    Alcohol product taxes are payable in the destination country. The only exemption is when goods for personal consumption are transported by the owner themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Alcohol, Tobacco and fuel for cars have a common excise duty provision within the EU.
    You must have head of news reports of people caught smuggling these goods in from other EU countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

You must have head of news reports of people caught smuggling these goods in from other EU countries.

I have yeah, it just never dawned on me before re: customs union ect haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Did you think tasting sets were exempt from duty?
    Who said anything about exemption?
    Struggling to see the posts from up there on your high horse?

You don't always get hit for the charges.
    So it's a kick in the balls when you get a bill for 65% of the value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

It's such a shame really as Master of Malt really are excellent to deal with and the option to create your own tasting sets are fantastic.

I contacted them recently about them not shipping here anymore, they are working on it and should be up and running soon. Expect prices to be similar to Whisky Exchange though and not too different to here.

What samples did you get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Wailin wrote: »
    It's such a shame really as Master of Malt really are excellent to deal with and the option to create your own tasting sets are fantastic.

I contacted them recently about them not shipping here anymore, they are working on it and should be up and running soon. Expect prices to be similar to Whisky Exchange though and not too different to here.

I'll still probably use them in that event as they're so good to deal with and have such a range.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Please stay on topic. The Online Buying & Auctions forum is better suited to discussion about taxes and VAT on online purchases

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=583

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Wailin wrote: »

It was a present. So there's not even anything in it for me :(
    Mostly boutique gins can't get here. They did throw in a free whiskey that I wasn't familar with. "The Quiet Man" from Derry.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Does any whiskey drinkers here know where I can get a bottle of proper 12 for a gift please
    Back in stores from yesterday, I'm told. DrinkStore in Stoneybatter has it for sale.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Who said anything about exemption?
    Struggling to see the posts from up there on your high horse?

You don't always get hit for the charges.
    So it's a kick in the balls when you get a bill for 65% of the value.

As seen some posters are unaware of it. And DHL are well known to be very strict on declaring items to customs. I was thinking the name sample in the item had confused the buyer on the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Mellor wrote: »
    They did throw in a free whiskey that I wasn't familar with. "The Quiet Man" from Derry.

Its a blended whiskey. Nice enough but nothing amazing. I was talking to them at whiskey live and they had plans to open a £12 million distillery and visitor centre in Derry but cancelled them last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭fmul9798

No sign of writers tears in Tesco Galway unfortunately. Had to settle for Talisker 10 (with voucher). Holding off to open it as have too many open, so back to Aberlour 10, just because the bottle too full and I don't get to drink whiskey/whisky very often, despite having plenty of it. I feel like each bottle should be at the same level!
    I have a crown royal xo to try over Christmas, along with a jd silver select which I received as a present several years ago, but never started.
    Awaiting the work break... seems Christmas is the only time I get to properly appreciate this spirit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭2011abc

There was a 2 per customer quota on the Lidl tenner Bush whiskies this morning .At 1030 this Saturday morning there were ten of them on the checkout belt I was at ! Great social catalyst , like the snow , people chatting and joking ...Husbands and wives pretending to be strangers ! Someone whispering to the person ahead of them who was only buying one could they get one if he paid them for it “it’s for me Da !” Christmas definitely in the air !
    I had a quick nip on return home and found it nicer than I remember .Then again most things do on an empty stomach .A bit sweeter than the Paddy? Not necessarily that poor a relation to Black Bush ? Maybe still not as ‘soft’ as Kilbeggan but at that price it will do very nicely .

If you can pick up one of the very (too?) sweet Crested Tens (I got two at €25 each in Tesco AND got to use a tenner off voucher ) it’s nice to ‘upcycle’ the ‘basic’ blends in my opinion .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I just bought a Middleton Very Rare 2018 for my father.

It was a bit of an impulse as I know very little about whiskey and had gone in for Redbreast 15.

Having looked about it seems many consider it inferior to RB 21 and not really worth the premium price tag.

What do the knowledgeable on here think, would I be better returning it for RB 21?

He will definitely enjoy it of course, but he's realistically not got decades left to taste these premium spirits and he wouldn't buy it for himself, so I'd like to get him the best for that money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭2011abc

It was a bit of an impulse as I know very little about whiskey and had gone in for Redbreast 15.

Having looked about it seems many consider it inferior to RB 21 and not really worth the premium price tag.

What do the knowledgeable on here think, would I be better returning it for RB 21?

He will definitely enjoy it of course, but he's realistically not got decades left to taste these premium spirits and he wouldn't buy it for himself, so I'd like to get him the best for that money.

Sorry can’t help on the RB21 vs MVR argument .But the daddy of them all is the Barry Crockett ( even dearer at €250 !)

You could always get him one of these ( great price for the set !)

https://www.obrienswine.ie/single-pot-still-gift-4-x-50ml.html

and see how he likes it .

Not sure what others would say but you might also consider getting two or even three still good but cheaper bottles .The MVR DOES have a great reputation ...If he’s only going to have a sip every few months go for the MVR but if he’s more likely to be a weekly drinker how about three really nice €60 bottles ? Tricky call I guess .Im sure others will weigh in .Would a trip either on your own or together to a good whiskey bar be an option /help ?

I hope my kids are as kind when I’m older !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Sirius Boner

The redbreast 21 is the better whiskey, no doubt in my mind.
    MVR is lovely... but I find a lot of people buy them as a hopeful investment at times.
    I also echo the above... Barry Crockett is a magnificent whiskey...smooth as velvet

Cheers lads. I wanted him to have a superb whiskey, he won't buy himself but he'll remember. The Crockett might be just a stretch but I'll mull it over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Sirius Boner

Cheers lads. I wanted him to have a superb whiskey, he won't buy himself but he'll remember. The Crockett might be just a stretch but I'll mull it over.

The redbreast 21 is perfect... he'll love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Having a dram of Woodford Reserve. Wow! Delicious Whiskey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

. The Crockett might be just a stretch but I'll mull it over.
    I wouldn't. Really not worth the money, in my book. I'd take an MVR any day over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Got a gift of an Original Glenmorangie.

I wouldn't. Really not worth the money, in my book. I'd take an MVR any day over it

It's on whiskeyexchange for 150 stg which works out at 180 euro delivered to parcel motel. Am I missing something?

It's on whiskeyexchange for 150 stg which works out at 180 euro delivered to parcel motel. Am I missing something?

Costoms Duty?
    I'm amazed at how many people don't know customs duty on alcohol is paid in Ireland even if the product is imported from the EU.

Costoms Duty?
    I'm amazed at how many people don't know customs duty on alcohol is paid in Ireland even if the product is imported from the EU.

Nope. Whiskey exchange are legit and irish vat and duty is displayed at checkout. If the chap actually went ahead with adding to checkout he'd see Irish vat added at €37.48 and irish duty at €13.71 bringing total inc delivery to €200.46. No customs charge when it's delivered as its already paid at checkout.

That price is still €40 better than here.

But he said he wanted to use parcel motel and order in sterling....
    Isn't that asking for trouble?
    Do you think it's worth the risk to save €20?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Whiskey Eire

He'll be delighted either way.

If your father is a red breast fan you could always hedge your bets and get a cask strength 12 and the 15. It'll cost roughly the same as the 21 by itself.

Midleton is 40% while red breast 21 is 46% so he'll get more bang for his buck with the red breast too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

MVR 2017 is only £117 on Amazon atm Oh and RB21 is better then MVR

RasTa wrote: »

Have you tried buying it from amazon.co.uk? It won't let me select my Irish address :(

• Advertisement

But he said he wanted to use parcel motel and order in sterling....
    Isn't that asking for trouble?
    Do you think it's worth the risk to save €20?

Your right, using parcel motel is asking for trouble. You'll end up paying more than what it costs here if customs get it, which is likely. For the sake of €20...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,588 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Have you tried buying it from amazon.co.uk? It won't let me select my Irish address :(

They live in the UK.

Is it possible to buy with parcel motel and collect from the depot in the North?
    Should be fine once you order 1 litre max.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Is it possible to buy with parcel motel and collect from the depot in the North?
    Should be fine once you order 1 litre max.

Alcohol is a prohibited item with Parcel Motel so while they won't actively refuse to handle it, if it breaks in their possession, they will wash their hands of it and you won't have any comeback.

Amazon are over pack everything which is wasteful but should mean the chance of breakage is low.
    I don't think parcel motel let you select collection from depot and you have to select a locker. But perhaps there is a service like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 blind mans bluff

Definitely get the RB21 over either of the Middletons, no question. The only reason you would go for the Middleton is if the bottle presentation is more important to you than the liquid presentation. Myself, I would buy the cask strength RB12, if the main objective is to offer a knock your socks off memorable whiskey experience. But, I think from reading what you are trying to get at, the RB21 is the one for you.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,286 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Three Irish whiskeys in Whiskey Advocate magazine's Top Whiskies of 2018.
    http://whiskyadvocate.com/top20/2018/

- The Glendalough 13 year old Mizunara Finish Single Malt
    - Green Spot Chateau Montelena
    - West Cork Glengarriff Series Peat Charred Cask

The West Cork is only €34 in O'Briens at the moment!
    https://www.obrienswine.ie/west-cork-glengarriff-series-peat-charred-70cl.html

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

RasTa wrote: »

IRISH CUSTOMS AND DUTY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Currently drinking The Liberties Copper Alley, have to say lovely drink from home :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

Pretty sure I saw MVR in my local Tesco at €167. I think you can stack the vouchers they have at the moment (€10 off €45 spend - I printed the one in bargain alerts and was accepted during the week) - so could get the bottle for €137

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

Passenger wrote: »
    Having a dram of Woodford Reserve. Wow! Delicious Whiskey.

Yeah it's one of the nicer bourbons. Makes JD taste like piss in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

JD isn't bourbon though!

Anyone know where's the best price you can get Woodford for? getting a bourbon for a mate who likes the idea of bourbon so was thinking Woodford would be a good shout and is a cool looking bottle too.

JD meets all the legal definitions of bourbon and is not described as such as a marketing decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Blantons original bourbon is worth a try if you can track it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

L1011 wrote: »
    JD meets all the legal definitions of bourbon and is not described as such as a marketing decision

aye it is different though with the extra Tennessee whiskey step so not necessarily comparable to most bourbons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

Bulleit bourbon is widely available in Tesco and other places for around the 40 mark. That's a nice one as well, comparable to Woodford Reserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thereality

Ardent wrote: »
    Bulleit bourbon is widely available in Tesco and other places for around the 40 mark. That's a nice one as well, comparable to Woodford Reserve.

It is €30 and on special at the moment. I think they are trying hard to push it, as even some off licenses in dodgy parts of Dublin are now stocking it

Diageo appear to have gone on a huge whiskey push this Christmas. Time to stock up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Cazale wrote: »
    Blantons original bourbon is worth a try if you can track it down.

Shouldn't be too difficult, it's hardly uncommon.

I'm not a massive bourbon drinker but that one I like.

Shouldn't be too difficult, it's hardly uncommon.

It's pretty difficult to get in Dublin. Have tried to get it a few times but not stocked anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

JD isn't bourbon though!

Anyone know where's the best price you can get Woodford for? getting a bourbon for a mate who likes the idea of bourbon so was thinking Woodford would be a good shout and is a cool looking bottle too.

Makers Mark 46 is very nice too. Bottle looks lovely too for gifting.
    IIRC it's a bit more expensive than the Woodford Reserve though.
    Bulleit 10 year old gets five thumbs up from me too.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement