Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank account balance totally incorrect

Options
  • 02-05-2016 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We keep a running spreadsheet and check every transaction on our account. The balance is completely wrong this weekend, to the tune of over 200 above what it should be. If I didn't keep a close eye I could be out spending thinking I had money.

I've been watching it and it's out since Friday night.

Is there a known issue with the balances on current accounts right now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

A tranasaction just hasn't been deducted from your account yet

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭rsl1976

Same problem. Money that showed as gone on friday morning has now disappeared altogether

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

It's more than one transaction, it's multiple transactions and the balance is correctly reflecting monies taken out over the weekend. It has adjusted to those. It's like the original balance going into the weekend was completely ****ed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Evie

Good Morning, 

Thank you all for posting here on Boards.ie. Over weekends and especially bank holidays there can be transactions which are waiting to fully process. This can lead to transactions showing on the account but not fully reflecting in the balance, once the retailer has fully processed these transactions they will show on your balance. Apologies if this has caused you any inconvenience and we will be passing your comments on for feedback.  

Thanks, 
    Evie 

I paid my electricity bill on Friday. It showed up on my transactions. However it disappeared on Saturday. It's showing as paid with the ESB but is still missing from my transactions. So are cinema tickets that showed up on friday in my transactions

• Advertisement

So the main balance is always completely correct even if the transactions are screwy?

My balance doesn't seem to be right. Will check again tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Janet

Good morning rsl1976 and mirrorwall14, 

Thanks for your posts.

I'm sorry to hear your balance has not updated, or doesn't seem correct. As explained by Evie, over weekends and especially bank holidays there can be transactions which are waiting to fully process. If you would like this investigated please send an 'Ask a question' query through Banking 365 online and a colleague with account access will happily look into this for you.

If we can help with anything else please let us know.

Thanks
    Janette

I would just like to point out Janet that it took until today, Wednesday for the account balance to be accurate so this was an issue for longer than the bank holiday weekend

I would just like to point out Janet that it took until today, Wednesday for the account balance to be accurate so this was an issue for longer than the bank holiday weekend
    Hi mirrorwall14,

So sorry to hear this, payments can be delayed depending on when they are processed by the retailer. Apologies for any inconvenience and we will pass your comments on for feedback. 

Thanks, 
    Evie 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭sodabread

FYI guys- my credit card balance was wrong on 365 online. I made a payment to it from my current account the other day and it hadn't hit the credit card on 365 online by today which I thought was unusual.

Apparently there is a new portal called card care which credit card users have to register for. I registered my cc on there just now and the balance on this new portal is correct and takes into account the payment I made but couldn't be seen on 365 online . Go to boi.com/cardcare for more info. I don't know if this has anything to do with incorrect balances for current accounts though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Janet

sodabread wrote: »
    FYI guys- my credit card balance was wrong on 365 online. I made a payment to it from my current account the other day and it hadn't hit the credit card on 365 online by today which I thought was unusual.

Apparently there is a new portal called card care which credit card users have to register for. I registered my cc on there just now and the balance on this new portal is correct and takes into account the payment I made but couldn't be seen on 365 online . Go to boi.com/cardcare for more info. I don't know if this has anything to do with incorrect balances for current accounts though.
    Hi sodabread, 

Thanks for you post.

Card Care is for credit card balances only and it updates quicker than 365 Online for credit cards, but that wouldn't effect current account balances, they should up date as soon as retailers process the transactions.

If we can help with anything else please let us know,

Thanks
    Janette

• Registered Users Posts: 26 nippynan

This has been an issue for years mirrorwall14. Only solution is to switch banks. 

This has been an issue for years mirrorwall14. Only solution is to switch banks. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

You'd really have to wonder about all the banks' IT infrastructure. Can you imagine *any* modern online service behaving like this and it being acceptable?

Let's say your email had to wait for some random overnight "posting time".

Seems like 1970s backend mainframe technology with a website plugged into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

12Phase wrote: »
    You'd really have to wonder about all the banks' IT infrastructure. Can you imagine *any* modern online service behaving like this and it being acceptable?

Let's say your email had to wait for some random overnight "posting time".

Seems like 1970s backend mainframe technology with a website plugged into it.
    nippynan wrote: »
    Hi nippynan & 12Phase I'm sorry to hear that you feel this way and I’ll certainly pass on your feedback here to our online team.

We do have a thread here that discusses this in more detail and nippynan we’ll reply to your post on that other thread now.

Thanks
    Nicola

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭daheff

Its been messed up for a long time. I changed banks to PTSB and happily, their online portal tells you all the transactions and the correct balance. It can also show you pending transactions. Not like BOIs hit, miss & hope for the best approach

Just to update and say that the balance has become less and less reliable over the last two months. Bank holiday weekends it's completely wrong until at least Wednesday of the following week. Transactions on a Friday disappear on Saturday and don't reappear until Monday and this is not shop payments, transfers disappear too. We are going to be moving bank as a result.

@ mirrorwall14 yes.. It's as bad as ever. Isn't it amazing to see a thread on an issue that started over 2 years ago and the problem is ongoing. For such a large organisation who claim they want business. I missed a direct debit because of the wrong balance again. I don't blame myself for not keeping proper account. I blame boi... I pay them fees to keep account of my money. Ended up I had to pay the late dd fee of course. Didn't  bother complaining to the robotic customer service team. I will do same as you - switch completely. Sick of it. 

Good Morning mirrorwall14 & nippynan, 

I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the services provided, I will be passing your comments on for feedback and do hope that you reconsider your decisions. If there is anything that we can do for you, please let us know. 

Thanks, 
    Evie 

• Advertisement

I changed to KBC after the last time I posted. Balance is always bang up to date

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I logged on to Banking 365 tonight and my balance was way out, for no obvious reason, and I had the appearance of an overdraft on Thursday. There was also an ATM transaction midweek posted twice. Having had experience of these things, I logged again after midnight and things had returned to sanity and my balance had never dropped below the €3000 required for a reduction in fees.

I see no reason for Banking 365 to post nonsense. If transactions are not yet completed fully  then do not post anything until an accurate figure is obtained. As noted above this has been an issue for years, it is not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Tow

Mr Babbage,

Maybe you can offer them one of your computing engines, it would be an improvement.   Banking 365 uses a separate database from their core system. They post transactions during the day to both systems, but each night the 365 database is overwritten by the main database.  This is when you see the screwed up data.  Madness I know, but I assume it made sense to someone 20 years ago.  I believe it is used as an example in some Computer Science courses on how not to design a computer system!

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

I logged on to Banking 365 tonight and my balance was way out, for no obvious reason, and I had the appearance of an overdraft on Thursday. There was also an ATM transaction midweek posted twice. Having had experience of these things, I logged again after midnight and things had returned to sanity and my balance had never dropped below the €3000 required for a reduction in fees.

I see no reason for Banking 365 to post nonsense. If transactions are not yet completed fully  then do not post anything until an accurate figure is obtained. As noted above this has been an issue for years, it is not good enough.
    Good Morning Charles Babbage,

Thanks for getting in touch and I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your 365 Online a/c, payments can take up to five days to fully process from the retailers. Apologies for any inconvenience and I will pass your comments on for feedback. 

Thanks, 
    Evie 

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jesso22

Still an issue!! 😵

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

jesso22 wrote: »

Still an issue!! 😵

Hi jesso22,
    Thanks for this message, I've replied to your other message in relation to this.
    Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

It is beyond belief that any bank cannot provide a reliable balance to their customers.

What function is more basic than supplying an accurate balance?

And how can any customer have the slightest confidence in the overall competence of Bank of Ireland management if the provision of such a basic service is beyond them for so long?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Anybody with this issue will really want to through all transactions on account over the Christmas period. While all transactions were showing on my account the overall balance wasn’t being debited those amounts until this morning that is.
    Over a weeks worth of transactions all taken this morning. I had 3 duplicate Direct debits taken for no reason, an error on BOI side , 365 have told me it might be 3 working days before they are put back in.
    Shocking at this stage we still can’t have real time account information. All other bank can manage real time balances.
    And of course BOI like always will blame the retailer.
    Because this a known issue I had known to keep a note of what was coming out of my account but some people would assume the balance on 365 is correct before getting a shock this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

harr wrote: »
    Anybody with this issue will really want to through all transactions on account over the Christmas period. While all transactions were showing on my account the overall balance wasn’t being debited those amounts until this morning that is.
    Over a weeks worth of transactions all taken this morning. I had 3 duplicate Direct debits taken for no reason, an error on BOI side , 365 have told me it might be 3 working days before they are put back in.
    Shocking at this stage we still can’t have real time account information. All other bank can manage real time balances.
    And of course BOI like always will blame the retailer.
    Because this a known issue I had known to keep a note of what was coming out of my account but some people would assume the balance on 365 is correct before getting a shock this morning.

We were resorting to writing down every single transaction and even then we were getting such conflicting information that we got confused. We were sick of paying BOI fees for us to do all the work, so we switched to AIB. Oddly enough, they can display correct balances and transactions to the minute despite them being the same transactions that BOI are claiming to cause the delays.

• Advertisement

Yes it should all be instant these days but practically businesses and the banks have been closed for days - things aren't being processed.

Advertisement